[Tom Hardware] Interview EFiX Creators

Envying

32 posts in this topic

Several gigabytes could mean 3,4.... thats pretty cheap these days..and have you seen 1 gigabyte of source code? you don't want to live as long as it takes to scroll through it.

Several gigabytes of static ram and endless code....lol

Several gigabytes could mean 3,4.... thats pretty cheap these days..and have you seen 1 gigabyte of source code? you don't want to live as long as it takes to scroll through it.

Several gigabytes? Come on, you can fit an entire PC's RAM in that. And how are they supposed to fill or use this RAM, with only a tiny and cheap CPU in place in the modul. And no way they have amassed even 1 GB of source code. That'd take ages. That's probably more than an entire Office suite.

EFiX is an EFI implementation over USB, wrapping up EFI calls to their own "CPU" (or "BIOS", i should say) and with their intermediary boot loader installed on "gigabytes of RAM".

Ah, he tells this: "The EFiX is the first BPU (boot processing unit) on the market."

Bingo.

But hey, his interview made me some good laughs.

Several gigabytes? Come on, you can fit an entire PC's RAM in that. And how are they supposed to fill or use this RAM, with only a tiny and cheap CPU in place in the modul. And no way they have amassed even 1 GB of source code. That'd take ages. That's probably more than an entire Office suite.

The point isn't to fill it, the point is future expandability - they can continually upgrade the onboard software and hardware drivers as new equipment comes out. Rather than being stuck with a small amount of memory, they put a few gigs in to future-proof it.

I got mine today. It's awesome. I paid EFI-X for the chip, they gave me what they advertised. I'm happy!

Tuan: We’re very interested in it from both a technical point of view as well as a legal point of view — you know the legal question was coming!

Davide: I’m happy to explain that our module is perfectly legal, for a number of reasons, most of them technical. So we can reattach to the tech discussion too. First of all, the EFiX is absolutely not related to the hackintosh underworld. It doesn’t use a single line of patched code, and I am going to explain to you why.

Haha. Deffensive much?

I wonder how true it is that they didn't use a single line of hackintosh code.

Stolen code or not, there's no doubt they "borrowed" more than a few breakthroughs achieved by this community. They should pay a bit more respect.

Haha. Deffensive much?

I wonder how true it is that they didn't use a single line of hackintosh code.

Stolen code or not, there's no doubt they "borrowed" more than a few breakthroughs achieved by this community. They should pay a bit more respect.

...well, how come that they "don't have anything to do" with osx86 community if they are supporting only the hardware specified on wiki.osx86project ?! :blink: I doubt that statement :)

Stolen code or not, there's no doubt they "borrowed" more than a few breakthroughs achieved by this community.

Pure specualtion.

Davide: To one of Tom’s Hardware’s readers for example, an overclocker, modder, spending money for an iMac or Mac Pro is a waste.

Tuan: And the fact is, Apple doesn’t have enough hardware choices for them.

Davide: Exactly.

God I hope Apple reads this! The one reason why I'd buy a EFix is because they have apparently abandoned a model between the old mini (still not updated) and the Mac Pro.

Davide: Windows shalt not cross these premises! [grin]

Tuan: [laugh]

LOL :whistle:

I don't like very much the way Efix's creators are behaving:

Davide: The EFiX will work only on what we want it to work. This is to limit the users to exactly those that we want to use the module.

Tuan: Right, because then they’d be selling a hackintosh of sorts, going the route of Psystar.

Davide: Not only that, they are taking away from Apple, its rightful piece of the market

Davide: We want to be for Apple what Iomega or Lacie is to them; someone that goes in their same direction, not someone who challenges or damages them.

Sure, poor, poor Apple! Grow up man, Apple is damn monopoly and that Steve Jobs is in fact a shark hiding in the bak of a nice huy.

I don't love Apple. I don't love Microsoft and it's not my duty to love them. It happens that I use their os-es. And I want to use the ose on my hardware of choice not on some monopolistic, expensive hardware Apple puts it together. Also, I don't want to be forced to use one of the three boards suported by efix - because they don't want to hurt Apple.

If efix doesn't like my hardware I will not buy nor efix neither some mb uported by them. In fact I am very happy with osx86.

It seems normal to me that they better suport a large set of hardware. Anyway I think they'll go bankrupt with such lousy choices for motherboards.

Apple is damn monopoly and that Steve Jobs is in fact a shark hiding in the bak of a nice huy.

LOL :P That is funny on so many levels :D

I want to use the ose on my hardware of choice not on some monopolistic, expensive hardware Apple puts it together. Also, I don't want to be forced to use one of the three boards suported by efix -

This isn't about what you want. It never was, and never it never will be about what you want. It's about what the masses want, and only they will determine the success of the product. Deal with it.

I think they'll go bankrupt with such lousy choices for motherboards.

A legal way to add OS X to a PC... Hmmm... I doubt they will go bankrupt this century. More likely they will become a major player and people will buy tons of their products, while you alone will be the only one left out in the rain :D

LOL :D That is funny on so many levels :blink:

This isn't about what you want. It never was, and never it never will be about what you want. It's about what the masses want, and only they will determine the success of the product. Deal with it.

You're pretty sure the masses want monopoly or an extremely limited choice in hardware. Maybe you are wrong?

A legal way to add OS X to a PC... Hmmm... I doubt they will go bankrupt this century. More likely they will become a major player and people will buy tons of their products, while you alone will be the only one left out in the rain :)

Yeah. Right now hordes of users are excitedly filling their payment forms for efix. The future is bright! The future is efix!

Efix does not follow the osx86 spirit. By tying it to five motherboards they follow the apple monopolistic spirit.

By tying it to specific motherboards they achieve 100% compatibility. Tell me ONE system here on InsanelyMac that you can get to give you 100% functionality out of the box. NONE. There is always a quirk or a bug somewhere. Even Stella's awesome OS X for MSI Wind disc has bugs - the audio driver doesn't work and the video driver sometimes switches resolutions upon booting.

You can't create a product that works on absolutely everything 100% perfectly because it'd turn into Windows - it'd just run mediocre. The reason why Apple is so successful with the stability of their operating system is that they manufacture and support their own hardware. Everything always works 100% of the time with their hardware (barring normal manufacturing defects and whatnot). The hardest thing OS engineers have to do is make it work on a variety of hardware. By supporting a limited number of motherboards, EFI-X is giving its customers 100% reliability and compatibility.

I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, I'm glad someone is doing it - it's nice to be able to pick up a product and have the Hackintosh headache removed for you. Let them do all the work so I can run my "Mac Pro Lite" for $1,000. I don't see why it should be free, either - they have people working full-time on their product who need to take care of their families. I don't work full-time on my guides and I don't expect anyone to pay me a cent for the help I give out. I don't know if that makes a lot of sense, but that's the way I see it. Like the Joker in Batman said - if you're good at something, you should be paid for it :P

Who says it should be free? But if you read the interview, it's obvious that they are limiting the hardware choices in order not to irritate Apple. Motherboards with very same specs like those in their Hcl are artificially restrained from running with efix.

Who says it should be free? But if you read the interview, it's obvious that they are limiting the hardware choices in order not to irritate Apple. Motherboards with very same specs like those in their Hcl are artificially restrained from running with efix.

Hmm that's interesting. I supposed that's why they don't have any Dual-Processor motherboards on the list...that could easily cannibalize Apple's sales of the Mac Pro. That makes good business sense, good point there twitterfire!

Although why not hook us up with a "Mac Pro Ultra" like this?

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherb.../7300/X7QCE.cfm

haha :P

EFI-X kinda seems as-if its for people that have no idea about osx86, or cant be bother with the minor hassles of getting their hands dirty. Im not dissing its capabilities, because sure enough, it does let you run Leopard 100% on a pc *if you comply to the strict hardware compatibilty list*. That was never the point of osx86, the whole point was of expanding the hcp, making os x available to the masses, and if EFiX does not make it available to the masses. They make it available to the people who comply, and buy or have previously bought the compatible hardware. Now what does efi-x offer me and my hp pavillion. Nothing. And like many of the others in this community i enjoy the challenge that osx86 entails. The satisfaction of patching the drivers and them working, or seeing a sucessful install, in my opinion is much better than a usb stick that can have up to and over a $1000 price tag. soon ill be buying a completely new machine for dedicated osx86, i already have my retail os x disks, so ill be trying to get a close to a vanilla install as possible. i think with abit research and the like, a very similar effect can be acheived as efix, without the need of purchasing the usb stick at all. But for those who will find efix more to their personal preference, then they should buy it. Most of the interest seems to be coming from the osx86 community anyway. Most people dont even think mac can run on pc anyway. And alot of pc users wont even consider mac. So i dont see this being a sucessful as the osx86 community has been. not by far.

EFI-X kinda seems as-if its for people that have no idea about osx86, or cant be bother with the minor hassles of getting their hands dirty.

So i dont see this being a sucessful as the osx86 community has been. not by far.

Well said.

I completely agree.  I honestly don't feel that the community has anything to worry about from EFI-X.  In fact, I think the chip's popularity will only increase the number of people interested in OSx86...  It brought me in, and I will be following and hopefully contributing because of it...

Most of the people that are going on and on about EFIX are also booting OSx86 environments as well...