Private alpha test of Voodoo 9.5 Kernel

mercurysquad

214 posts in this topic

Hi thanks a lot, we needed P4 test reports. It seems like a timer problem. The first thing I would suggest: could you please try booting with the boot options: fsb=200 busratio=15 This should override the auto-detection.

By the way the cpu log you posted on the other thread says this: hw.busfrequency = 400000000 (ie. 400 mhz fsb, 1600 memory bus). Are you sure it's 200/800 Mhz? You could also try fsb=400 busratio=15 while booting up. It appears that boot132 is sending incorrect fsb frequency to the kernel, or the kernel is detecting wrong bus ratio (ie. clock multiplier).

-- snip --

Please keep the reports coming!

I tried using fsb=200 and 400 - no real change.

I had applied some changes since the install and upgrade to 10.5.5 - i.e., a package to cause the "About this Mac" to display the correct CPU info, installed Xcode 3.1 and some other stuff. So, I thought maybe it would help to install again and keep it clean for this testing.

I could not boot the retail install dvd using the 9.5-a7 kernel. It would finish the loading messages and begin the normal boot messages and then just grind to a halt. It never got to the first GUI display. I tried fsb= 2,4,800 with only minor changes in the way the messages were displayed.

I have completed the re-install - booting with the voodoo 9.4 kernel - and the updates to 10.5.5 are loading now. I will try again when that finishes.

You asked if I was sure about the bus speed. The short answer is no. The only way I know to check it is using SystemProfiler which provides this information:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac
 Model Identifier:	8183XXD
 Processor Speed:	3 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	1
 L2 Cache:	512 KB
 Memory:	2 GB
 Bus Speed:	400 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	BOOT.EFI.V80
 Serial Number:	CK157KMHK5B

The "Boot Rom Version" comes from the graphics EFI strings, and the Model/Serial are most likely from the SMBIOS kext.

I get this display from Xchat /macinfo command:

8183XXD CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz @ 3.0GHz [/FPU/MMX/SSE/SSE2/SSE3/PAE/HTT] L2: 1024K FSB: 400MHz Airport:	RAM: 739.8MB/2.0GB Vram: 0.00M/64.00M Disk: 555.82GB/972.95GB GPU: GeForce FX 5500 [256 MB/HWCI/QE/Stock] 1600x1200@75Hz OS: Mac OS X 10.5.1 (9B21) Kernel: Darwin 9.4.0 Up: 32 mins 1

but it could be getting it's data from the profiler as well :angel:

Both beta 6 and alpha 7 result in instant reboot on my phenom. The fsb and busratio flags make no difference, still instant reboot. This is on a nForce board. Building 9.5 from source with ToH patch works on the same system. I would really like to move away from the ToH patch and start using the voodoo source.

Do you have ich5 or ich6 Bladerunner ?

I am not sure. I don't know how to check that.

I don't have anything but OS X on this system. I have a second system, also from IBM, which has the same CPU/socket and RAM so I use the cpu-z numbers from it.

CPU-Z on that system shows core speed 2992.6 Mhz - Multiplier X15 - Buss 199.5 Mhz - Rated speed 798.0 Mhz.

Those numbers tend to track with the ones from the System Profiler.

I have finished a clean install from the retail dvd using a boot-132 iso with the voodoo-9.4 kernel. I could not get the voodoo-9.5a7 kernel to boot the install dvd.

I have used software update to bring the system up to 10.5.5 with no problem - using the voodoo-9.4 kernel. As far as I can tell, everything is running correctly.

This is the list of kext files on my boot-132 iso

drwxr-xr-x  3 lrh  staff  102 Feb  6  2008 AppleACPIPlatform.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 3 lrh  staff  102 Nov 23  2007 AppleAHCIPort.kext
drwxrwxrwx  3 lrh  staff  102 Jun  7  2007 AppleAPIC.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 lrh  staff  102 Sep  9 08:46 AppleDecrypt.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 3 lrh  staff  102 Nov 23  2007 AppleGenericPCATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 lrh  staff  102 Sep  2 12:59 ApplePS2Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 lrh  staff  102 Mar 18  2008 AppleSMBIOS.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 lrh  staff  102 Sep  6 17:53 Disabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 lrh  staff  102 Feb  6  2008 IOATAFamily.kext

Rainbow:~ lrh$ uname -a
Darwin Rainbow 9.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0: Tue Sep 16 19:36:00 IST 2008; Voodoo; based on ToH:xnu-1228.5.20/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386
Rainbow:~ lrh$

The system still won't boot using the voodoo-9.5a7 kernel and I have made no changes beyond the 10.5.5 update. The symptoms are the same - black screen - when cursor is diaplayed it moves for a few seconds and then freezes.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz

Asus p5n32-e sli plus

nVidia nForce 570i MCP Southbridge for the sata II ports

8 GB ram

8600GTS 256MB Video Card

Will this fix the random freezing associated with the 9.2 nforce kernel?

Just spotted this;

If you cannot boot at all, or the timing is slow, or if it takes a long time to show the GUI (or blue screen), you should try the following options:

AMD specific: -amd -emulateintel

Everyone: busratio=xx

where xx is your CPU clock multiplier (cpu frequency divided by fsb frequency). The FSB frequency is typically 100, 133, 166, 200, 333 or 400 Mhz.

Will try again with the -amd -emulateintel boot flags.

Edit; tried them, still no joy with Phenom 9550 + nForce. Instant reboot issue.

Both beta 6 and alpha 7 result in instant reboot on my phenom. The fsb and busratio flags make no difference, still instant reboot. This is on a nForce board. Building 9.5 from source with ToH patch works on the same system. I would really like to move away from the ToH patch and start using the voodoo source.

Phenom and Deneb/Shanghai support is now fixed (thanks for the cpu log). Some of you have received private messages with alpha8 link. Others: please wait while we make internal test before uploading the 2nd beta.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz

Asus p5n32-e sli plus

nVidia nForce 570i MCP Southbridge for the sata II ports

8 GB ram

8600GTS 256MB Video Card

Will this fix the random freezing associated with the 9.2 nforce kernel?

For Core and better CPUs by Intel, this kernel is basically 100% vanilla. So please try it and see if it fixes the issues.

Phenom and Deneb/Shanghai support is now fixed (thanks for the cpu log). Some of you have received private messages with alpha8 link. Others: please wait while we make internal test before uploading the 2nd beta.

For Core and better CPUs by Intel, this kernel is basically 100% vanilla. So please try it and see if it fixes the issues.

Oh sweet it does work. However I'm still getting random freezes. I think this is the extension that is causing it:

AppleNForceATA:

Version: 1.0.3

Last Modified: 21/09/08 8:37 AM

Get Info String: 1.0.3, Copyright Domenico 'MeDevil' Colella. 2007

kext Version: 1.0.3

Load Address: 0x80820000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Unknown

Is there a better version of this extension available?

PS: my system froze right after I posted this

Oh sweet it does work. However I'm still getting random freezes. I think this is the extension that is causing it:

AppleNForceATA:

Version: 1.0.3

Last Modified: 21/09/08 8:37 AM

Get Info String: 1.0.3, Copyright Domenico 'MeDevil' Colella. 2007

kext Version: 1.0.3

Load Address: 0x80820000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Unknown

Is there a better version of this extension available?

PS: my system froze right after I posted this

If you have 4G of RAM then this will be a problem because its based on AppleVIAATA. Use maxmem=3000 and see if it works.

Somehow the applesmbiosefi.kext doesn't show my system as macbookpro1,1 as before but as mac with this kernel;

Will the next kernel beta allow customized applesmbios.kext and applesmbiosefi.kext with customized model id's to show up correctly in system profiler?

Somehow the applesmbiosefi.kext doesn't show my system as macbookpro1,1 as before but as mac with this kernel;

Will the next kernel beta allow customized applesmbios.kext and applesmbiosefi.kext with customized model id's to show up correctly in system profiler?

There was some platform uuid change in this kernel (no longer uses hardcoded value), but queries EFI properly. That could be it, but I'll confirm and let you know. Usually it shouldn't be a problem.

Perfect with 64bit apps on Pentium D now! ;) , thanks for the hard works.

But same as alpha 7, my USB pen drives can't be detected anymore, which worked fine with modbin 9.40.

Just pay a little more attention :P you need 10.5.5 System.kext with 9.5 kernel. If you were on modbin 9.4, it means you probably have 10.5.4 System.kext, and so USB is fubar. Just update to 10.5.5 system.kext and you're all set.

Just pay a little more attention :P you need 10.5.5 System.kext with 9.5 kernel. If you were on modbin 9.4, it means you probably have 10.5.4 System.kext, and so USB is fubar. Just update to 10.5.5 system.kext and you're all set.

Many thanks for the comment! After update to 10.5.5 system.kext and reinstall the graphic card, onboard lan and usb drivers, everything works perfect now! :)

Alpha 9 is working. If I use the -force64 boot flag, the system hangs before completing the boot process. L2 cache is reported incorrectly at 8k in system profiler, I believe it should be 512k per core on the Phenom? Any preference on version of AppleSMBIOS to use, currently using vanilla with SMBIOSResolver by superhai? So any particular testing you would like done or info you need?

Mercury, how did you get ical working with this kernel?

All of the other 9.x kernels I used and tested, iCal always crashed on it....

Also I'm using 10.5.5 and the alpha 9 kernel so do you know how to modify the model name & model identifier to show it as a macbook pro? it revolves around the applesmbios 1.0.14 kexts and the appleacpiplatform 1.2.1 kexts...

Mercury, how did you get ical working with this kernel?

All of the other 9.x kernels I used and tested, iCal always crashed on it....

Also I'm using 10.5.5 and the alpha 9 kernel so do you know how to modify the model name & model identifier to show it as a macbook pro? it revolves around the applesmbios 1.0.14 kexts and the appleacpiplatform 1.2.1 kexts...

The iCal (and a lot of other) issues were fixed thanks to the total rewrite of sse3 emulator. It's also 3 times faster and multithread compatible, so it should fix a lot of crashes on sse2 hardware.

Hardware model is no longer hardcoded in the kernel, so it might involve changes to smbios kext – I'm not very familiar with this, will get back when I figure this out.

Alpha 9 is working. If I use the -force64 boot flag, the system hangs before completing the boot process. L2 cache is reported incorrectly at 8k in system profiler, I believe it should be 512k per core on the Phenom? Any preference on version of AppleSMBIOS to use, currently using vanilla with SMBIOSResolver by superhai? So any particular testing you would like done or info you need?

-force64 (64bit on AMD) was a throwaway test, if it doesn't work, it might involve a lot of code changes, so will probably still be disabled in the final release. If however you can get a screenshot or crash log when booting with -force64, we might be able to figure out the problem and try a fix. It's low priority though.

L2 cache reporting on AMD is a known bug - working on a fix.

SMBIOS - I'm not the best person for this info, some others are also asking about it, so I'll find the right person and get back to you.