SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

darkuser:

those are expected behaviour. first attempt was never going to work - you're not specifying the kernel, so it'll try to use the vanilla kernel which wont work on a Pentium D.

in the second example, your machine is waiting for a root device with uuid F8F... which is most likely the initrd ramdisk.

please re-read the first post - you NEED to specify the root device explicitly - either by rd=diskXsY or by boot-uuid=

you'll need to figure out the values for X and Y, or find the UUID of your DVD. if you have a working hackintosh install on the machine, you can find either by using Disk Utility.

good luck!

There is a way to test this in VMware even on Core 2 CPU. I have already done some tests with disabling SSSE3, and should be able to disable SSE3 as well. I will try it and get back to you.

woo! thats good news man. i'd like to know the results of that to see if its theoretically possible to boot on SSE2. however, I think real SSE2 machines are still required, as we may have to deal with other deficiencies. i'm not 100% sure what the impact of HPET, PAE, XD etc etc are on booting vanilla - i suspect they're required. can you disable those in your VMWare environment?

imho only Intel chipsets with those features and SSE2 will be likely candidates for booting, unless those deficiencies can be overcome by adding more kexts to the ramdisk. we need, in short, a knowledgeable SSE2 user for testing. any takers?

disk2 isnt enough. you need to specify something like disk2s1 which describes the disk number and partition number. if you can boot any old hackintosh Tiger or Leopard on that machine, do so and put the retail DVD in the drive once booted, and open Disk Utility. Select the 'Mac OS X Install DVD' and hit the blue 'Info' button - this should tell you the correct value for the diskXsY and the boot-uuid - either should work.

rd=diskXsY

OR

boot-uuid=ABCDE-123-456-ABCDEF (replace this with your real uuid).

in other news...

an update on my setup - i usually need an older version of IONetworkingFamily and IO80211Family to get Wifi, and I need Natit to get my X1800 to work, and ALCInject for audio.

i placed these on the ramdisk, and booted my vanilla install. result - Natit is doing its thing, I have resolution changing (usually I have QE and CI but no res change), so thats working. Still no wifi, I will need to experiment more. Still no audio.

also, i tried booting the modbin kernel without -legacy. it booted to desktop, but I dont think its running 64-bit mode - certainly Get Info on the Chess application made no mention of 64-bit and Activity Monitor reported Chess.app running as an 'Intel' (rather than Intel 64-bit). Hmm....

was having a think about how best to proceed for my ultimate 'vanilla' setup.

basically what i'd like to do is treat the OS as installed by apple as sacrosanct. i want to get my machine fully working (gfx, audio, wifi etc) without ever having to put anything into /System/Library/Extensions. or at the very least, without having to modify anything thats put there by apple. (putting *extra* stuff in is theoretically ok, cos apple wont overwrite it in a software update).

however, i'd prefer to have it untouched, because i want to share a USB disk between my work machine (a MacBook Pro) and my hackintosh. i have partial success in this so far - I can boot my work machine's clone on the hackintosh and have working gfx (Natit on the ramdisk). If I can have wifi (critical) and audio (nice-to-have) then i'll be set.

ultimately, i'd like to perhaps create a second partition on that disk which will boot the boot-132 routine and then boot the main partition. plugging the same disk into a real mac should just boot the normal apple bootloader from the first partition :(

@Dense: sorry, i dunno why your post has ended up halfway thru this topic...

anyway, as you can hopefully see I realised that uuid was unnecessary, as rd=diskXsY works just as well.

im intrigued about the prelinked kernels though... do tell :(

I have manged to get it work on my Celeron D machine, And I've successfully booted the retail Leopard DVD.

I was having "Still waiting for root device error" but I fixed it by adding AppleVIATA.kext on my BOOT-132 ISO.

I have problems with PS/2 but I'll add its kexts to the BOOT-132 ISO.

Thanks a lot :(

excellent!! great 3dman, thanks for providing the first independent verification of this method :D

i sent you some kexts by PM which may help overcome your PS/2 problems. failing that, go buy a USB keyboard and mouse :(

Hi everyone...

i saw something fishy with the 132-BOOT iso`s. Regardless of which iso i boot my pc..after it load the stuff from initrd.img (the whole dots thing ........... ) it says for about a second:

System config file '/cam.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

and then continues normaly...

Is that ok to do so? Anyone encountered this thing before?

woo! thats good news man. i'd like to know the results of that to see if its theoretically possible to boot on SSE2. however, I think real SSE2 machines are still required, as we may have to deal with other deficiencies. i'm not 100% sure what the impact of HPET, PAE, XD etc etc are on booting vanilla - i suspect they're required. can you disable those in your VMWare environment?

imho only Intel chipsets with those features and SSE2 will be likely candidates for booting, unless those deficiencies can be overcome by adding more kexts to the ramdisk. we need, in short, a knowledgeable SSE2 user for testing. any takers?

Well my real P4D machine has had a disk crash so won't be testing there until it gets fixed. VMware can mask flags from the CPUID instruction which is how I tested the SSSE3 requirement. It should be able to mask out all the other bits e.g. PAE, XD. HPET is different as is part of the BIOS definition. Whilst I know how to modify a VMware BIOS it is more of a PITA, and would need time to do it.

why do you need to put rd(0,1) and boot-uuid. trying to understand how this method works. thanks

(rd0,1) points to the ram disk that is loaded by the modified boot-132 loader. It is where the extra extensions and the modified xnu kernel are being stored. Once you do this the xnu kernel thinks that it is going to start all its processes from the ram disk, which obviously is the wrong place. Using the boot-uuid or preferably the rd parameters just tells the modified kernel to go and read all the other information, extensions, ... from either the installed hard drive or the installaiton DVD.

Today I have Installed from my retail disk, and I've successfully booted Vanilla installation ^_^

and updated to 10.5.4 without any problems.

If you want to boot vanilla installation without the CD:

1- Install Chameleon Bootloader.

2- Copy boot from your boot CD to your root Partition.

3- Create Extra folder on your root partition, then add your hacked kernel that you want to boot from to it.

4- Create new folder called Extensions and put the extensions of your initrd.img and all necessary extensions on it.

5- Navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, then copy your com.apple.Boot.plist file to desktop.

6- Open the file with TextEdit then change <key>Kernel</key> with this <key>hd(X,Y)/Extra/mach_kernel</key> (X is disk number nad Y is the partition number you can get them from disk utility)

7-Under Kernel Flags add rd=diskXsY (Example: <string>rd=disk0s2</string>)

8- backup your old com.apple.boot.plist and then add this new one, Your new com.apple.boot.plist will look like that:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>hd(X,Y)/Extra/mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=diskXsY</string>
</dict>
</plist>

That's all now you can boot your Vanilla installation on Pre-Core processor without CD and without typing you kernel location every time your start up :P

rock on mate :)

i actually plan to do those steps on a second, tiny partition, so that i dont add anything extra to the main OS partition. thats cos i want to boot it from a real mac, too. B)

oh, and thanks for the shout-out in yer sig... keep spreadin the word. now we just need someone with an SSE2 box to try this... ;)

also people, please also try the StageXNU kernel - you'll need Disabler.kext too for this, as it 'upsets' AppleEFIRuntime.kext, unlike modbin.

rock on mate :)

i actually plan to do those steps on a second, tiny partition, so that i dont add anything extra to the main OS partition. thats cos i want to boot it from a real mac, too. ;)

oh, and thanks for the shout-out in yer sig... keep spreadin the word. now we just need someone with an SSE2 box to try this... :)

also people, please also try the StageXNU kernel - you'll need Disabler.kext too for this, as it 'upsets' AppleEFIRuntime.kext, unlike modbin.

I want to use ToH 9.2.0 sleep kernel but I can't because it make panic with AppleEFIRuntime.kext, is there any disabler for this kext to load 9.2.0 kernel ?

and btw sometimes I have

nfs_boot: Network is not inialized kernel panic and sometimes no B)

I don't know why

Anyway doing this without Burning a DVD DL they are sol out in the local store and i'm to lazy to go in to town ??

I tried it with my single layer DVD it works but it will take a lot of time to boot than the double one :)

I managed too boot the retail finaly :P...but when the install initialized the beach-ball kept spinning and i couldn`t go ahead...:)

any ideas what did i do wrong?

@3D man...with your technique is it possible to update Mac OS X directly from the updater withput doing the steps to update it like for the cracked kernels?

I managed too boot the retail finaly :P...but when the install initialized the beach-ball kept spinning and i couldn`t go ahead...:)

any ideas what did i do wrong?

@3D man...with your technique is it possible to update Mac OS X directly from the updater withput doing the steps to update it like for the cracked kernels?

Yes, I've installed today 10.5.4 combo update package and I didn't modify any file on my installation till now ( only com.apple.boot.plist, added Extra folder that contain my extensions and kernel and installed chameleon bootloader) then I restarted.

but I must use -f or -v -f at boot or it will not load.

but I must use -f or -v -f at boot or it will not load.

Same here too using the chameleon boot with a C2D.

If I haven't picked it up wrong, I think the reason you need to boot with -f each time is because the extensions in your extra folder have missing dependencies. If you place the kexts they require in with them until the dependencies are satisfied you may be able to boot without -f. Not sure how many it would take, or if it's worth the effort though.