SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

rock on mate :)

i actually plan to do those steps on a second, tiny partition, so that i dont add anything extra to the main OS partition. thats cos i want to boot it from a real mac, too. ;)

oh, and thanks for the shout-out in yer sig... keep spreadin the word. now we just need someone with an SSE2 box to try this... ;)

also people, please also try the StageXNU kernel - you'll need Disabler.kext too for this, as it 'upsets' AppleEFIRuntime.kext, unlike modbin.

I really like the idea of creating a small boot partition to hold all the tweaks/adjustments to get a vanilla install to run. It would be even better if the boot process could select from more than one osx86 partition on the drive. I like to maintain 2 copies of OS X on my system - one for production and the other for maintenance and testing. That way, when I need to make a backup image or install new risky changes, I can boot the maintenance partition and do it there first.

Is there any chance a boot partition could accomplish the selection I mentioned?

Same here too using the chameleon boot with a C2D.

If I haven't picked it up wrong, I think the reason you need to boot with -f each time is because the extensions in your extra folder have missing dependencies. If you place the kexts they require in with them until the dependencies are satisfied you may be able to boot without -f. Not sure how many it would take, or if it's worth the effort though.

How can I know every kext's dependencies and the kexts they require and I'll give a try ?

synapse: yes, a handy side-effect of not using the mach_kernel in the root is that it wont be overwritten by any updates. also System.kext (the pseudo kext which goes hand-in-hand with the kernel) should generally be backwards compatible. (Hmm... though it may make sense to put that on the ramdisk / Extra folder too...).

bladerunner: as i said, i want to boot a USB drive i share with a real mac, so i need it to be a diff. partition. but yes, there's something particularly nice about having all the patches 'external' to the installed OS. means tweak-free reinstalls and upgrades, for a start.

riley: interesting thoughts about the kext dependencies.. will have to look into this.

darkuser: glad to hear it :)

3dman: no idea mate. i guess have a look in System Profiler in a hacked install (ie not vanilla) under Extensions. The dependencies should be listed as you click on each kext. No idea how to do it from vanilla tho :)

EDIT: 3dman, scratch that - Sys Profiler only shows whether or not the dependencies are satisfied, not what they are :( I guess you'd have to go digging in Info.plist files...

Yeah I think you have to go through the info.plist files. I didn't try it myself because I figured it'd be easier to just keep the -f flag for now. You could end up with a whole bunch of kexts in your extra folder. It's on my to-do list next time I spend a bit of quality time in Leo. Lately I've been stuck in Windows doing stuff so I haven't had much time to boot out of it.

Here's the post where I read about satisfying dependencies.

What about a pentium m? SSE2?

You can try a working SSE2 kernel and test it :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah I think you have to go through the info.plist files. I didn't try it myself because I figured it'd be easier to just keep the -f flag for now. You could end up with a whole bunch of kexts in your extra folder. It's on my to-do list next time I spend a bit of quality time in Leo. Lately I've been stuck in Windows doing stuff so I haven't had much time to boot out of it.

Here's the post where I read about satisfying dependencies.

Thanks I saw this post yesterday.

if I put all my kext's dependencies it will be a large Extra folder, I'm using -f as boot flag and all working good.

I'll try and see :blink:

I'm getting Still waiting for root device on my laptop, guess the iso giving by munky doesn't has the right kext for me?

Yes, munky's ISO dosen't have drivers I was having this error but when I put AppleVIAATA.kext and IOATAFamily.kext no more still waiting for root device :D .

It works 100% on sse2 just abit slow becouse it's an old Nc8000 but it works

Congratulations !

try to update to 10.5.4 and what will happen :)

Yes, munky's ISO dosen't have drivers I was having this error but when I put AppleVIAATA.kext and IOATAFamily.kext no more still waiting for root device :D .

I just added some kext's that i thought were needed, i now got these kext's on my dvd

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

But i'm still getting the still waiting for root device...

I just added some kext's that i thought were needed, i now got these kext's on my dvd

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

But i'm still getting the still waiting for root device...

do you enter your DVD's location right?

mine was rd=disk2s2

Well that went well, got past the still waiting for root device but after that i get text scrolling reeeaally fast

Going too fast to read the whole line, but from what i could read it was something like this

[Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs]

No and it never will

IMO:

Apple Mac OS X + AMD processor = PAIN :(

Well that went well, got past the still waiting for root device but after that i get text scrolling reeeaally fast

Going too fast to read the whole line, but from what i could read it was something like this

[Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs]

Could you send a screenshot ?