SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

You should upload a Boot -132 with Sleep 9.2 kernel or StageXNU kernel for sse2

Here's my boot ISO, contains:

Kernels:

Modbin 9.4.0 kernel, filename:modbin

ToH 9.2.0 Sleep kernel, filename:Sleep

StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel, filename: StageXNU

Kexts:

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

Link

I'll but which ApplePS2Controller.kext did you pick ? becouse the one fron chun-nan works with all laptops :wacko:

I tested it with laptop and it worked the problem was that you need to make OSBundleRequired to ROOT for this three plugins (in ApplePS2Contoroller.kext) :

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

ApplePS2Mouse.kext

I've done this on my ISO, try it and tell me what will happen ;)

It's installing now! I used 3dman's iso with the modbin kernel and retail 10.5.1. Thanks to the craptastic ati ata chipset it'll probably be an all-nighter to install (i tried adding a kext from one of the threads about it but I don't think it loaded). Time remaining 6 hours and 41 minutes...

P4 3.06ghz, ATI SB400 chipset, 2gb DDR. IDE DVDRW and HDD

Will update tomorrow on how it went, but it booted fine so any issues will be down to the ATA chipset.

It's installing now! I used 3dman's iso with the modbin kernel and retail 10.5.1. Thanks to the craptastic ati ata chipset it'll probably be an all-nighter to install (i tried adding a kext from one of the threads about it but I don't think it loaded). Time remaining 6 hours and 41 minutes...

P4 3.06ghz, ATI SB400 chipset, 2gb DDR. IDE DVDRW and HDD

Will update tomorrow on how it went, but it booted fine so any issues will be down to the ATA chipset.

I'm happy because it booted but OMG 6 hours and 41 minutes is a long time

waiting for your final results :D

Took less time in the end ("only" 3 hours). It installed fine, but on first reboot I'm stuck on "still waiting for root device". When I boot off the boot-123 disk I select the first hard disk (80) and then type:

rd(0,1)/modbin -v -f rd=disk0s2 (I've checked the disk info in Disk Utility to ensure this is the right root device). Tried with and without the -f flag. Anyway this isn't a problem related to the boot disk, just the ide controller.

Hmm. Maybe it needs the modbin system.kext too. Trying...

Nope. I'll look again in the morning. Too late to be messing with this stuff :(

nigel: did u succesfully boot the retail disc?

Riley: tried the vanilla system.kext?

i was doing some more tinkering this morning. i booted up my working (hacked) Leo install, which is on my main SATA disk. this is a GUID disk which was booting with PC_EFI v8.

i installed Chameleon EFI on the disk instead, and now the machine wont boot. it seems to me that my machine just doesnt work with Chameleon. :P Anyone else seen this problem? Any ideas how to resolve it?

Yeah it used the vanilla kext the first time. Anyway, now it won't even boot the leopard dvd. Still waiting for root device.

I checked the info.plist in the sb400-patched AppleOnboardATA.kext and my controller devid is in there. Deleted the copy from inside the IOATAFamily.kext in initrd to make sure they weren't conflicting. Still no dice. So i'll give it a miss. I don't need Leo running on this POS mobo anyway. What's important is I was able to boot a retail DVD and install.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry882049

sounds like it might be the same problem. will try making the partition active this evening.

NB: i've been warned by some of the xnu-chat devs NOT to follow bofors instructions to the letter - specifically the 'update' step in the fdisk should NOT be performed as it will erase the boot0 microcode.

Here's my boot ISO, contains:

Kernels:

Modbin 9.4.0 kernel, filename:modbin

ToH 9.2.0 Sleep kernel, filename:Sleep

StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel, filename: StageXNU

Kexts:

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

Link

3d: I just finished using the iso provided in your link to install OS X from my retail 10.5.1 DVD.

My system uses a 3.0Ghz P4 with HyperThreading. The specs are in my sig.

My main hard drive is partitioned GUID and has pc-efi-v8 installed. I installed OS X on an empty partition on that drive.

When I re-boot, using your iso, everything is working - PS/2 mouse/keyboard, networking, external USB speakers, efi strings for nvidia video card etc... I also upgraded the system to 10.5.4 using software update. Everything still works.

The only change to the vanilla OS X partition was to set the efi scrings in com.apple.Boot.plist

Now I just need to learn what you did differently from my attempts at an iso because mine always left me waiting on the boot device ;)

Many thanks for sharing.

Can someone explane EFI string ?? i never got how to use them

They are long hex strings that are used at boot time to insert data about various parts of your hardware into the areas that would be updated if you had a real EFI system as a Mac does. This helps reduce the number of modified kext files required and keeps your copy of OS X closer to vanilla.

You can learn a great deal about efi strings etc.. at the Netkas forum web site at http://forum.netkas.org/

Hope this helps.

--Blade

3d: I just finished using the iso provided in your link to install OS X from my retail 10.5.1 DVD.

My system uses a 3.0Ghz P4 with HyperThreading. The specs are in my sig.

My main hard drive is partitioned GUID and has pc-efi-v8 installed. I installed OS X on an empty partition on that drive.

When I re-boot, using your iso, everything is working - PS/2 mouse/keyboard, networking, external USB speakers, efi strings for nvidia video card etc... I also upgraded the system to 10.5.4 using software update. Everything still works.

The only change to the vanilla OS X partition was to set the efi scrings in com.apple.Boot.plist

Now I just need to learn what you did differently from my attempts at an iso because mine always left me waiting on the boot device :D

Many thanks for sharing.

I've overcome my "waiting for root device error" by adding IDE drivers to my ISO because the Retail DVD doesn't have the patched versions of these kexts, they are :

AppleAHCIPort.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

BTW how did you make EFI strings Work they doesn't work for my vanilla installation.

And sorry for my late response :lol:

I've overcome my "waiting for root device error" by adding IDE drivers to my ISO because the Retail DVD doesn't have the patched versions of these kexts, they are :

AppleAHCIPort.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

BTW how did you make EFI strings Work they doesn't work for my vanilla installation.

And sorry for my late response :D

I had efi strings working on my main partition so I just used the com.apple.Boot.plist from there to replace the one on the vanilla partition.

My problem with the waiting for boot device error was not that I didn't have an older, working, IOATAFamily.kext. It was that I never could get them to load. It must have been something in the way I set the info.plist files. I am still not sure - but I am using the ones you supplied :)

I had efi strings working on my main partition so I just used the com.apple.Boot.plist from there to replace the one on the vanilla partition.

My problem with the waiting for boot device error was not that I didn't have an older, working, IOATAFamily.kext. It was that I never could get them to load. It must have been something in the way I set the info.plist files. I am still not sure - but I am using the ones you supplied :)

EFI strings really makes me sick :hysterical:

I have 2 installed leopard all 10.5.4

the first one is kalyway installation running with PC_EFIv8 and the GFX string works with it

and second one is my retail one running with Chameleon (took the "boot" file from my ISO so that I can load extensions from Extra folder) I have copied the string from the first installation plist and it doesn't work.

Do you know why

EFI strings really makes me sick :withstupid:

I have 2 installed leopard all 10.5.4

the first one is kalyway installation running with PC_EFIv8 and the GFX string works with it

and second one is my retail one running with Chameleon (took the "boot" file from my ISO so that I can load extensions from Extra folder) I have copied the string from the first installation plist and it doesn't work.

Do you know why

The thing that caused me the most problem getting the efi strings working was getting the PCI address correct. I used the tools from Netkas EFI forum to start but they reported the address incorrectly. Then, I used some of the developer tools to look at an IO Reg dump. Once I got the PCI address right it all started working. I always used vi to edit in the string - just to be sure I didn't have any cr/lf breaks.

I had PC_EFIv8 installed on my hard drive and was using the boot-132 cd to boot the vanilla install partition. I got tired of that and installed Chameleon on the drive and copied my Extra folder to both OS X partitions. Then, I made custom Boot.plist files for each partition so I could boot either one without the boot-132 CD.

I used 3D man instructions to create the Boot.plist and it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>"1280x1024x24"</string>

<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>hd(0,3)/Extra/modbin</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-v rd=disk0s3</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>7</string>
	<key>device-properties</key>
   --- snip ---

---

BladeRunner

The thing that caused me the most problem getting the efi strings working was getting the PCI address correct. I used the tools from Netkas EFI forum to start but they reported the address incorrectly. Then, I used some of the developer tools to look at an IO Reg dump. Once I got the PCI address right it all started working. I always used vi to edit in the string - just to be sure I didn't have any cr/lf breaks.

I had PC_EFIv8 installed on my hard drive and was using the boot-132 cd to boot the vanilla install partition. I got tired of that and installed Chameleon on the drive and copied my Extra folder to both OS X partitions. Then, I made custom Boot.plist files for each partition so I could boot either one without the boot-132 CD.

I used 3D man instructions to create the Boot.plist and it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>"1280x1024x24"</string>

<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>hd(0,3)/Extra/modbin</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-v rd=disk0s3</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>7</string>
	<key>device-properties</key>
   --- snip ---

---

BladeRunner

BTW no need to type rd=diskXsY in your Kernel Flag if the kernel in the same partition, It will boot the partition that contain the kernel on it automatically.

Try it and tell me what will happen :withstupid:

i use leo server with only two patch use .... the first is modbin kernel, the second is dsmos.kext ... and system work perfect..

but not 64bit (((((((

because is Pentium D not Core... i install on pc my friend where core2duo cpu, and work without any patches with Chameleon boot

i install Clean Leopard system 10.5 (9A581) then install update to 10.5.4 and apply Chameleon EFI.... then plug disk into PC and boot from it...

And all work on native leo kernel... ^___^

hey iTux - good news :(

try the StageXNU kernel. i think you'll also need Disabler.kext to use it. this should work in 64-bit mode i think...

otherwise just boot with -legacy to disable 64-bit. (do you really need 64-bit??)

Tonight I made a significant step towards my goal. With a LOT of help from the xnu-chat guys, esp Dense and Turbo, I now have a USB drive which will boot cleanly with full gfx, Ethernet and wifi on either my hack or my MacBook pro (or any intel mac for that matter).

The disk shows up in Disk Utility.app as having only one partition, and I have made ZERO modifications to that partition. This USB drive boots on my PC to a fully working Leopard env without any additional things (ie no efi-x, no boot132 CD...)

Can't say too much at this stage but I'm pretty excited about this.. :-)