South Ossetia

apowerr

93 posts in this topic

There is a thread about this on another forum I'm active on and its really starting to irritate me. The thread is full of stereotypical Americans placing all the blame on Russia and talking about how the US should attack Russia and Iran.

What do you guys think of all of this?

I feel that the Georgians, Russians and South Ossetians are more than capable of solving things. The US should work the UN and other countries to help broker a cease fire that will insure an end to future conflicts in South Ossetia.

Personnaly, US don't have any link with the Georgia (I think I spell it correctly). Anyway, US make it on his own, seat on the Security Council of the UN and waiting to see what Russian speak about this "defense" standing on top of his own ex territory. Russians wait til this moment to get this chance to bring back Ossetia to their own federation. Georgia is so poor and they abilities on military are very low skills. They can't stand up in the front of bilions dollar army formed by the Russia Federation. A bazooka vis a old jeep of the 70's didn't make any difference but draws clearly the future of this country.

My speech doesn't sound pro-georgian but at all, why taking chance to be overkilled by over-ressourced country and ready to take em back for swinging this country from poor to minimal life.

It's the stereotypical Americans that bug me about this country.

Yes, Georgia is allied with the US. That DOES NOT mean we have to get militarily involved when they have a border conflict! People need to realize that the US is not the all-powerful king of the world. Things need to be able to happen without that threat of US military action hanging over everything.

The United States does not need to and should NOT get involved on the military front. Like Erei33 said, the US needs to work the diplomatic side: lobby the UN to help draft a cease-fire agreement amicable to all parties concerned. This does need to happen fast, though... I'm not sure how long the Georgian military will be able to stand up to the Russians.

Personnaly, US don't have any link with the Georgia.

Alex Jones (http://www.infowars.com) spoke with Prof. Michel Chossudosky, who is supposed an expect on this region, about this subject on 8/11/08: http://www.radiodujour.com/people/chossudovsky_michel/

Prof. Chossudosky makes it explictly clear that Georgia, acting a US proxy, initiated this war:

Georgia is an outpost of US and NATO forces, on the immediate border of the Russian Federation and within proximity of the Middle East Central Asian war theater. South Ossetia is also at the crossroads of strategic oil and gas pipeline routes.

Georgia does not act militarily without the assent of Washington. The Georgian head of State is a US proxy and Georgia is a de facto US protectorate.

Who is behind this military agenda? What interests are being served? What is the purpose of the military operation.

There is evidence that the attacks were carefully coordinated by the US military and NATO.

Georgia was "encouraged" by NATO and the US. Both Washington and NATO headquarters in Brussels were acutely aware of what would happen in the case of a Russian counterattack.

The question is: was this a deliberate provocation intended to trigger a Russian military response and suck the Russians into a broader military confrontation with Georgia (and allied forces) which could potentially escalate into an all out war?

Georgia has the third largest contingent of coalition forces in Iraq after the US and the UK, with some 2000 troops. According to reports, Georgian troops in Iraq are now being repatriated in US military planes, to fight Russian forces. (See Debka.com, August 10, 2008)

This US decision to repatriate Georgian servicemen suggests that Washington is intent upon an escalation of the conflict, where Georgian troops are to be used as cannon fodder against a massive deployment of Russian forces.

US-NATO and Israel Involved in the Planning of the Attacks

In mid-July, Georgian and U.S. troops held a joint military exercise entitled "Immediate Response" involving respectively 1,200 US and 800 Georgian troops.

The announcement by the Georgian Ministry of Defense on July 12 stated that they US and Georgian troops were to "train for three weeks at the Vaziani military base" near the Georgian capital, Tbilisi. (AP, July 15, 2008). These exercises, which were completed barely a week before the August 7 attacks, were an obvious dress rehearsal of a military operation, which, in all likelihood, had been planned in close cooperation with the Pentagon.

The war on Southern Ossetia was not meant to be won, leading to the restoration of Georgian sovereignty over South Ossetia. It was intended to destabilize the region while also triggering a US-NATO confrontation with Russia.

On July 12, coinciding with the outset of the Georgia-US war games, the Russian Defense Ministry started its own military maneuvers in the North Caucasus region. The usual disclaimer by both Tblisi and Moscow: the military exercises have “nothing to do” with the situation in South Ossetia. (Ibid)

Let us be under no illusions. This is not a civil war. The attacks are an integral part of the broader Middle East Central Asian war, including US-NATO-Israeli war preparations in relation to Iran.

The Role of Israeli Military Advisers

While NATO and US military advisers did not partake in the military operation per se, they were actively involved in the planning and logistics of the attacks. According to Israeli sources (Debka.com, August 8, 2008), the ground assault on August 7-8, using tanks and artillery was "aided by Israeli military advisers". Israel also supplied Georgia with Hermes-450 and Skylark unmanned aerial vehicles, which were used in the weeks leading up to the August 7 attacks.

Russian forces are now directly fighting a NATO-US trained Georgian army integrated by US and Israeli advisers. And Russian warplanes have attacked the military jet factory on the outskirts of Tbilisi, which produces the upgraded Su-25 fighter jet, with technical support from Israel. (CTV.ca, August 10, 2008)

Georgia: NATO-US Outpost

Georgia is part of a NATO military alliance (GUAM) signed in April 1999 at the very outset of the war on Yugoslavia. It also has a bilateral military cooperation agreement with the US. These underlying military agreements have served to protect Anglo-American oil interests in the Caspian sea basin as well as pipeline routes.

Both the US and NATO have a military presence in Georgia and are working closely with the Georgian Armed Forces. Since the signing of the 1999 GUAM agreement, Georgia has been the recipient of extensive US military aid.

Barely a few months ago, in early May, the Russian Ministry of Defense accused Washington, "claiming that [uS as well as NATO and Israeli] military assistance to Georgia is destabilizing the region." (Russia Claims Georgia in Arms Buildup, Wired News, May 19, 2008). According to the Russian Defense Ministry

"Georgia has received 206 tanks, of which 175 units were supplied by NATO states, 186 armored vehicles (126 - from NATO) , 79 guns (67 - from NATO) , 25 helicopters (12 - from NATO) , 70 mortars, ten surface-to-air missile systems, eight Israeli-made unmanned aircraft, and other weapons. In addition, NATO countries have supplied four combat aircraft to Georgia. The Russian Defense Ministry said there were plans to deliver to Georgia 145 armored vehicles, 262 guns and mortars, 14 combat aircraft including four Mirazh-2000 destroyers, 25 combat helicopters, 15 American Black Hawk aircraft, six surface-to-air missile systems and other arms." (Interfax News Agency, Moscow, in Russian, Aug 7, 2008)

NATO-US-Israeli assistance under formal military cooperation agreements involves a steady flow of advanced military equipment as well as training and consulting services.

According to US military sources (spokesman for US European Command), the US has more than 100 "military trainers" in Georgia. A Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman "said there were no plans to redeploy the estimated 130 US troops and civilian contractors, who he said were stationed in the area around Tblisi" (AFP, 9 August 2008). In fact, US-NATO military presence in Georgia is on a larger scale to that acknowledged in official statements. The number of NATO personnel in Georgia acting as trainers and military advisers has not been confirmed.

Although not officially a member of NATO, Georgia's military is full integrated into NATO procedures. In 2005, Georgian president proudly announced the inauguration of the first military base, which "fully meets NATO standards". Immediately following the inauguration of the Senakskaya base in west Georgia, Tblisi announced the opening of a second military base at Gori which would also "comply with NATO regulations in terms of military requirements as well as social conditions." (Ria Novosti, 26 May 2006).

The Gori base has been used to train Georgian troops dispatched to fight under US command in the Iraq war theater.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?con...va&aid=9788

I believe a mission called "immediate response" is mainly used for defense, in response to, say, russian paratroopers landing in your capitol. i doubt 2000 troops would fare well against the russian army.

The US isn't going to get involved in this, at least I hope not. It's not our job to clean up the mess of all the countries of the world anymore. Russia can go on their little land grab fest for all i care.

The thread is full of stereotypical Americans placing all the blame on Russia and talking about how the US should attack Russia and Iran.

I think that is one main reason the US started this war, to get warmongering Americans irritated with Russia (and Iran). It looks like this could escalate into a much larger conflict.

Webster Tarpley seems to have predicted this sort of an event recently. Basically, Tarpley has identified that the powers-that-be (New World Order or whatever) have indeed selected Obama to be the next US President. Obama's controller appears to be Zbigniew Brzezinski, who as a Pole hates Russia and described the US plan for domination of Central Asia in the book: "The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy And Its Geostrategic Imperatives ": http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Chessboard-Ame...s/dp/0465027261

Tarpley discussed the switch from the US engaging the Middle East (Iran) to engaging Russia & China (specifically via Pakistan and Sudan) in this interview with Alex Jones (http://infowars.com) on 7/30/08: http://www.radiodujour.com/people/tarpley_webster/

That DOES NOT mean we have to get militarily involved when they have a border conflict!

This is not a "border conflict". This is yet another war over oil (surprise, surprise):

DEBKAfile’s geopolitical experts note that on the surface level, the Russians are backing the separatists of S. Ossetia and neighboring Abkhazia as payback for the strengthening of American influence in tiny Georgia and its 4.5 million inhabitants. However, more immediately, the conflict has been sparked by the race for control over the pipelines carrying oil and gas out of the Caspian region.

The Russians may just bear with the pro-US Georgian president Mikhail Saakashvili’s ambition to bring his country into NATO. But they draw a heavy line against his plans and those of Western oil companies, including Israeli firms, to route the oil routes from Azerbaijan and the gas lines from Turkmenistan, which transit Georgia, through Turkey instead of hooking them up to Russian pipelines.

Saakashvili need only back away from this plan for Moscow to ditch the two provinces’ revolt against Tbilisi. As long as he sticks to his guns, South Ossetia and Abkhazia will wage separatist wars.

DEBKAfile discloses Israel’s interest in the conflict from its exclusive military sources:

Jerusalem owns a strong interest in Caspian oil and gas pipelines reach the Turkish terminal port of Ceyhan, rather than the Russian network. Intense negotiations are afoot between Israel Turkey, Georgia, Turkmenistan and Azarbaijan for pipelines to reach Turkey and thence to Israel’s oil terminal at Ashkelon and on to its Red Sea port of Eilat. From there, supertankers can carry the gas and oil to the Far East through the Indian Ocean.

Aware of Moscow’s sensitivity on the oil question, Israel offered Russia a stake in the project but was rejected.

http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=1358

Georgia may have started the problem, but Russia definitely overreacted.

That's my take.

EDIT: From another forum

China busy with the Olympics, Russia busy with bombing Georgia... Russia and China are Iran's strongest allies so is it time to attack Iran?

Georgia may have started the problem, but Russia definitely overreacted.

Georgia did not start the problem, {censored} Cheney did.

It is no accident that this coincided with the Olympics (with George Bush out of the USA.)

Cheney might as well have signed his name on the bullets that Georgian "peacekeepers" shot dead their Russian colleges with (an international war crime).

Georgia did not start the problem, {censored} Cheney did.

It is no accident that this coincided with the Olympics (with George Bush out of the USA.)

Cheney might as well have signed his name on the bullets that Georgian "peacekeepers" shot dead their Russian colleges with (an international war crime).

I really don't know where you've got this rubbish, but it's idiotic to suggest that the US would want this conflict, or even try to start it.

The war gave Russia the opportunity to control western oil and gas even more than they do now, giving them the chance to crush our economies, even start another major conflict.

Thankfully, they've stop now ;)

I really don't know where you've got this rubbish, but it's idiotic to suggest that the US would want this conflict, or even try to start it.

The war gave Russia the opportunity to control western oil and gas even more than they do now, giving them the chance to crush our economies, even start another major conflict.

Thankfully, they've stop now :wacko:

I am sorry I have to disagree with you, PM, but if I had to put my bets on "the bad guy", that wouldn't be Russia.

Putin is not an idiot and he knows that they are a lot weaker than the US + Nato.

I am sorry I have to disagree with you, PM, but if I had to put my bets on "the bad guy", that wouldn't be Russia.

Putin is not an idiot and he knows that they are a lot weaker than the US + Nato.

I'm not calling Russia a bad guy - I'm just saying they have the potential to be, and it was given to them on a silver platter at the start of this conflict. The fact that they have pulled out gives more in the favour of Russia being the good guy!

I guess my wording wasn't clear - it's late :)

All I'm saying is that suggesting the US did this is ridiculous, as it gave Russia a situation where they could have massive control over the west.

Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations--entangling alliances with none, I deem [one of] the essential principles of our government, and consequently [one of] those which ought to shape its administration.

We have over 800 military bases world wide. We spend more on our military and "defense" than the rest of the world combined. We have so many pacts, treaties, and "understandings" that there really isn't much of anything that can happen in the world without the United States feeling obliged to step in.

I understand the impulse to save the world... I'm as cowboy as the next red blooded American and I want us to ride in on our white horse and vanquish the bad guy... my heart aches when I see the suffering in the world... BUT WTF?!!!!! It's not like we have the Midas Touch! Quite the contrary! Recently, everything we seem to get involved in freaking blows up in our face. Why? BECAUSE LIKE IT OR NOT, WE ARE FREAKING CULTURAL XENOPHOBES WHO OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW JACK! We demand that everyone everywhere think like we do... value what we value... want what we want. I love the American way of life.... I want the world to unite under the banner of liberty and brotherhood... but it isn't going to happen at the end of an American missile!

Some may think Thomas Jefferson a relic from a bygone era... a naive idealist. In truth, he wasn't perfect but he was a man of principle. Principle is what sets the statesman apart from the mere politician. The world is full of politicians doing the bidding of greedy, arrogant, hypocrites. The world is awash with good intention but it's drowned out by political expedience. Militarism can not save the world. It can only serve as a temporary stop gap measure. Only true statesmanship can exact lasting change. Yet, where is the investment? Our diplomatic corps is a complete laughingstock!

Truth is, BOTH sides have valid concerns. Neither side is exactly lilly pure either... nor are we. This crisis has been in the making for decades and encompasses a boat load of issues. There is enough fault to engulf East and West. This garbage of "news as entertainment" we are all choking on these days prevents all but the most careful researcher from understanding what is truly going on. Hell, I can't understand it fully but what I have figured out reeks to high heaven. American national interest has taken priority over truth and justice for a very long time. Intelligent debate is all but dead in this country. And before any of you conspiracy theorists chime in with your ignorant slop, Washington certainly does NOT want war but I have to agree their myopic interests in the region aren't helping alleviate that threat. Unless they vote, ally against our "enemies," or provide us with the goods and services we desire, my government doesn't really give a rats ass about anyone's pursuit of life, liberty, happiness, or democracy. In short, WE ARE THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK. We have been every bit as dishonest and manipulative as any other participant. Geopolitics is ugly and Washington plays to win. Too bad their game plan is totally :( !

Georgia has a secessionist region that is being disputed. How would Russia have liked it if all of NATO backed up Chechnyas efforts. I think Russia wants to start playing world police like the US. Although I have no idea why Russia wouldn't want to integrate to the west and is trying to be like the old Soviet Union now...

Photo from South Ossetia | 11 august 2008:

00gzg81a.jpg

Tskhinvali | © AP Photo / Mikhail Metzel

00gzhqe1.jpg

00gzpr06.jpg

00gzsd1c.jpg

00gztprx.jpg

00gzq26p.jpg

Achabet: Russian peacekeepers killed :-( | © AP Photo / Alexander Merkushev

00gzr16r.jpg

Achabet | © AP Photo / Alexander Merkushev

Photo from South Ossetia | 13 august 2008:

00h00cc1.jpg

Tskhinvali | © AP Photo / Musa Sadullaev

00h0194r.jpg

Tskhinvali | © AP Photo / Musa Sadullaev

00h023gq.jpg

Tskhinvali / Russian mobile hospital | © AP Photo / Musa Sadullaev

PS. The Georgian army is ready to American officers:

"Based on the inscriptions, one can conclude that this school district in Vaziani, - Counterintelligence officer said. - Above you see the flag American flag and flag of Georgia, and a picture made, probably in the field. On the reverse side - the inscription, which reads That the certificate is the property of the United States. And two officers of contact - it Primeser Scott and David Bauman. "

Sorry for my English :-)

Although I have no idea why Russia wouldn't want to integrate to the west and is trying to be like the old Soviet Union now...

The U.S. rulers have made a lot of grief for Russia!

We have over 800 military bases world wide. We spend more on our military and "defense" than the rest of the world combined. We have so many pacts, treaties, and "understandings" that there really isn't much of anything that can happen in the world without the United States feeling obliged to step in.

I understand the impulse to save the world... I'm as cowboy as the next red blooded American and I want us to ride in on our white horse and vanquish the bad guy... my heart aches when I see the suffering in the world... BUT WTF?!!!!! It's not like we have the Midas Touch! Quite the contrary! Recently, everything we seem to get involved in freaking blows up in our face. Why? BECAUSE LIKE IT OR NOT, WE ARE FREAKING CULTURAL XENOPHOBES WHO OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW JACK! We demand that everyone everywhere think like we do... value what we value... want what we want. I love the American way of life.... I want the world to unite under the banner of liberty and brotherhood... but it isn't going to happen at the end of an American missile!

Some may think Thomas Jefferson a relic from a bygone era... a naive idealist. In truth, he wasn't perfect but he was a man of principle. Principle is what sets the statesman apart from the mere politician. The world is full of politicians doing the bidding of greedy, arrogant, hypocrites. The world is awash with good intention but it's drowned out by political expedience. Militarism can not save the world. It can only serve as a temporary stop gap measure. Only true statesmanship can exact lasting change. Yet, where is the investment? Our diplomatic corps is a complete laughingstock!

Truth is, BOTH sides have valid concerns. Neither side is exactly lilly pure either... nor are we. This crisis has been in the making for decades and encompasses a boat load of issues. There is enough fault to engulf East and West. This garbage of "news as entertainment" we are all choking on these days prevents all but the most careful researcher from understanding what is truly going on. Hell, I can't understand it fully but what I have figured out reeks to high heaven. American national interest has taken priority over truth and justice for a very long time. Intelligent debate is all but dead in this country. And before any of you conspiracy theorists chime in with your ignorant slop, Washington certainly does NOT want war but I have to agree their myopic interests in the region aren't helping alleviate that threat. Unless they vote, ally against our "enemies," or provide us with the goods and services we desire, my government doesn't really give a rats ass about anyone's pursuit of life, liberty, happiness, or democracy. In short, WE ARE THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK. We have been every bit as dishonest and manipulative as any other participant. Geopolitics is ugly and Washington plays to win. Too bad their game plan is totally :) !

Well said! :)

Its not the United States fault that Russia decided to become a depressive police state and couldn't keep up with capitalisms technology. Capitalism is the only fair economic system that rewards risk. All of Russias suffering is brought onto themselves.

Its not the United States fault that Russia decided to become a depressive police state and couldn't keep up with capitalisms technology. Capitalism is the only fair economic system that rewards risk. All of Russias suffering is brought onto themselves.

Remember you that Russia comes out from the communism. That way for lead a country is very hard. Mean people living on a little apartment with nothing to eat. All of your salary is gone to the govt. You can't shout everything loud whitout seeing the police knocking at your door. After this periode ended in the early 90's, they still live between capitalism and communism. Russsia still living on his own and hope they can pick up olds Ex URSSS countries to becoming extraordinary strenght an another time... Time will go on and lord only know the future like my grandpa said..:thumbsdown_anim:

So, now we have the US starting its military occupation of Georgia:

TBILISI (Reuters) - President George W. Bush's pledge to send aid to Georgia means that the U.S. military will take control of the ex-Soviet state's ports and airports, Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili said on Wednesday.

"You have heard the statement by the U.S. president that the United States is starting a military-humanitarian operation in Georgia," Saakashvili said in a television address.

"It means that Georgian ports and airports will be taken under the control of the U.S. defense ministry in order to conduct humanitarian and other missions. This is a very important statement for easing tension."

http://www.reuters.com/article/gc07/idUSLD49893320080813

Note how ridiculous the last statement is: "This is a very important statement for easing tension". Yes, I am sure the having US troops occupying Georgia will ease Russian tensions.

You are obviously the type of fool who watches BBC propaganda, eats it raw and then makes an a$$ out of himself insisting it is unbiased information.

Guess what? Both the BBC and CNN have been busted broadcasting fake news casts on this war:

http://www.infowars.com/?p=3904&cp=5

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?con...va&aid=9783

Here is Paul Craig Roberts bio:

Dr. Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the US Treasury in the Reagan Administration. He is a former Associate Editor of the Wall Street Journal, a 16-year columnist for Business Week, and a columnist for the Scripps Howard News Service and Creator’s Syndicate in Los Angeles. He has held numerous university professorships, including the William E. Simon Chair in Political Economy, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Georgetown University and Senior Research Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University. He was awarded the Legion of Honor by the President of France and the US Treasury’s Silver Medal for “outstanding contributions to the formulation of US economic policy.”

Here is what he has to say:

From Stupid to Moronic to Evil

[T]he entire world knows that Georgia (the birthplace of Joseph Stalin... ) initiated the aggression that killed Russian peacekeepers and hundreds of civilians in South Ossetia, peacekeepers who were there with the blessing of Georgia and international agreements.

Georgia was part of Old Russia and the Soviet Union for two centuries. After Soviet communism collapsed, the US taxpayer funded neoconservative National Endowment for Democracy broke every agreement that President Reagan had made with Gorbachev and began using US taxpayers’ money to rig and purchase elections in former constituent parts of the Russian/Soviet empire.

The Endowment for Democracy purchased Georgia as a US colony. The affront to Russia was extreme, but at the time Russia was weak. Oligarchs with outside money had grabbed control over Russian resources, and Russia was in dire straits and could not resist American imperialism.

Now using American weapons Georgia for reasons yet to be revealed has violated its own agreement with Russia and attacked South Ossetia, killing in the process Russian peacekeepers.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article20483.htm

Georgia is controlled by the US ({censored} Cheney):

Using Georgia to Target Russia

In 2003 with considerable CIA help, Georgia’s President Saskashvili came to power in the so-called bloodless "Rose Revolution."

New parliamentary elections were held on March 28. Saakashvili’s supporters used heavy-handed tactics to gain full control, but behind the scenes Washington is fully in charge. It pulls the strings on its new man in Georgia and stepped up tensions with Russia for control of the strategically important southern Causasus region.

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=9816

You are obviously the type of fool who watches BBC propaganda, eats it raw and then makes an a$$ out of himself insisting it is unbiased information.

And why are we to believe that Alex Jones of infowars.com is telling the truth?