MacPro rumours

17 posts in this topic

I would like to see either SLI or Crossfire be in effect actually in the next series of the MacPro, and as well as the Core 2 Extreme QX9775 as an option in the MacPro. Something that would be nice, but can't see ever happening, overclocking, and not just small overclocking. A Bluray drive. And the GTX, or hd48xx series in them.

Hello.

I feel that the Mac Pro is going to stay as it is for awhile. Maybe not as long as the original Mac Pro 1.1 lasted (from late 06 through late 07/early 08, but awhile.

Why should they do anything right now? They are already at the very top of the price/capacity heap, offering an astoundingly powerful 8-core system for relatively little money.

As far as SLI or Crossfire, I suspect that we won't really see either unless the Digital Content Creator crowd (such as myself) demands it. Or possibly if Quadro or FireGL cards adopt it.

Apple is unlikely to cater to the gamer market with this particular Workstation.

On the other hand, I feel that Apple is likely to either:

Refresh the mini or possibly iMacs, though they already did stuff with the iMacs.....

or

Bring out a completely new series to fill the gap between the iMacs and Mac Pro. Possibly one pointed right at the Gamer market.

Possibly not though. Apple seems like they don't want people poking around inside their systems, and such a system would typically be purchased by computer enthusiasts who specialize in poking around inside computers....

Keri

That's apples biggest problem right now, is that they don't have a real desktop out right now. They have the Imac, Mac Mini, and the Macbook series which all use mobile varieties of hardware. The MacPro is a workstation, so I feel that they should fill the gap with a lga775 core 2 duo machine, or even a lga775 Xeon, same thing as a core 2 duo.

That's apples biggest problem right now, is that they don't have a real desktop out right now. They have the Imac, Mac Mini, and the Macbook series which all use mobile varieties of hardware. The MacPro is a workstation, so I feel that they should fill the gap with a lga775 core 2 duo machine, or even a lga775 Xeon, same thing as a core 2 duo.

Which is technically what we here have right now with OSx86.

Which is technically what we here have right now with OSx86.

Wrong, OSx86 is a PC that runs a hacked version of Os X, we don't have Mac Desktops, we just happen to have desktops that run a varient of Mac Os X. I'm speaking about a real Mac desktop, designed and sold by Apple. Full EFI that is used for Mac Os X.

Wrong, OSx86 is a PC that runs a hacked version of Os X, we don't have Mac Desktops, we just happen to have desktops that run a varient of Mac Os X. I'm speaking about a real Mac desktop, designed and sold by Apple. Full EFI that is used for Mac Os X.

but whats the difference, the label, the case, the start-up ?

Would anyone venture guessing when they would be refreshed and speculate with what components ?

When: after the Nehalems are released, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense.

What components: Nehalems CPUs, of course (don't ask me how many cores, but at least 4 for each CPU).

More RAM, hopefully. At the moment a high end workstation with 2GB RAM is a laugh.

Better default graphics card.

A larger HD by default.

Blu-ray drive?

Mine might be just wishful thinking, because Apple gives you underspecced computers on purpose, in the hope that you pay for their very expensive upgrades.

I agree on the SLI argument. Mac needs to catch up with PC's, especially in that market. Not only would games benefit, but Snow Leopard will take advantage of all that extra horsepower with OpenCL. Mac can really stake the heart in MS by fully implementing that and effectively having a cray supercomputer (due to all the teraflops of power given with two video cards and 8 cpu cores)

It's weird that mac's haven't implemented that yet.

Apple hardware runs Mac Os X natively, while Osx86, needs patches for it.

Actually this is less and less true, particularly if you look into some of the bleeding-edge solutions that are in development. The difference is essentially nothing.

The point here is the continuing story of the "missing Mac": The midrange desktop model that so many people want them to build, but which would look too much like a PC for their marketing department to swallow.

Apple make PCs now, they have always made personal computers, but they still cling to their "reality distortion field" that a Mac is somehow more than a premium PC. It isn't, and we are denied the ideal midrange Mac because of this.

As for the future of the mac pro... how many buyers do you think actually read the specs? most of them are professionals in design or video production, who just know that they want the "top Mac" and, in my experience at least, have only the vaguest idea what is inside their workstation.

Put simply: What's in the next Mac Pro? - Who Cares, it will sell well.

Far more interesting would be a new model.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?threadid=66134

Looks like you can have sli in a mac pro. There are limitations however:

1. It runs in the original 8x for both slots together, not 16x on both.

2. SLI isn't supported in OSX, just if you dual boot in XP/Vista

well that settles it, get a mac pro and be able to do SLI. Wonder if anyone has tried the three way sli yet

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?threadid=66134

Looks like you can have sli in a mac pro. There are limitations however:

1. It runs in the original 8x for both slots together, not 16x on both.

2. SLI isn't supported in OSX, just if you dual boot in XP/Vista

well that settles it, get a mac pro and be able to do SLI. Wonder if anyone has tried the three way sli yet

Windows will see SLI, but Os X won't.