[Guide] Retail Leopard on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0

cyberbuddhah

100 posts in this topic

Some of the kext's in that folder to be used for the chamelon boot process, others for the system kext. Using weaksaucee's kexts installed over these kexts eliminate kernel panic.

installed the kexts

used osxtool to clean/touch/repair permisions.

and done.

no need to boot with -f anymore.

(if you happen to have a minute to answer) can you tell me why we need, now that the kexts are installed, need the extra\extensions folder? Im not clear in that.

Thanks for your time. You have been very kind.

respect.

installed the kexts

used osxtool to clean/touch/repair permisions.

and done.

no need to boot with -f anymore.

(if you happen to have a minute to answer) can you tell me why we need, now that the kexts are installed, need the extra\extensions folder? Im not clear in that.

Thanks for your time. You have been very kind.

respect.

Glad that it worked for you. I will revised my tutorial this weekend with explanations. Enjoy

I seem to still have a problem...when I try to install the kexts using kext helper b7.app I get "We failed to login as root, check your password" I did go in an enable the root user and I set a password and I rebooted but I had to use the boot disk to get back in. I tested in a terminal window, I typed su and the password does work, but at this point I have completed everything (I checked and 10.5.4 is running) in the guide accept for installing the various kexts...so when I attempt a reboot...it hits the white apple screen and just sits there...spinning it's wheel (unless I use the original disk)? I ran the repair for the permissions prior to rebooting...and I still can't install...so I am at a loss. I am close, very close..thanks again for the help.

**************Update********************

I ended up using OSX86Tools to install the Kexts, so I installed them all (even the ones in the extra folder from the p35.iso), then used Disk Utility to repair permissions and then rebooted...EVERYTHING IS WORKING...THANKS AGAIN for all of your help!

I was planning on buying this board, however I was wondering what memory people are using? The reason I ask is that I found a PDF of the Gigabyte page which suggests only particular part numbers are supported. Does anyone have experience of this? I have attached the PDF as found on the Gigabyte site.

I have 3 gigabyte motherboards. You don't have to pay attention to their list of DIMMs. However, I had trouble with overheating using 4 1GB DIMMs, definitely use 2 2GB DIMMS if you want a 4GB machine. Either that or take some measure like point an extra fan at the DIMMs. Or find some alternative cooling approach if your machine starts crashing at random. Some heat spreaders are so fat that they actually get in each others way for air flow when you install 4 sticks. Possibly better off removing the spreaders and adding a fan somehow angled towards the DIMMs, if you for some reason must use 4 sticks.

cyberbuddhah, thanks for this guide, its the one I've been looking for all along. Though, I'm happily running on 10.5.2, I'm just going to wait and go for it all when 10.5.5 is out in October. I don't know why everyone is obsessed with 1-drive solutions, when drives are so cheap these days. Its a lot more flexible to just have a few drives and use some kind of 1-up or 4-in-3 hot swap bay.

cyberbuddhah, thanks for this guide, its the one I've been looking for all along. Though, I'm happily running on 10.5.2, I'm just going to wait and go for it all when 10.5.5 is out in October. I don't know why everyone is obsessed with 1-drive solutions, when drives are so cheap these days. Its a lot more flexible to just have a few drives and use some kind of 1-up or 4-in-3 hot swap bay.

Thanks,

I will update the tutorial this weekend to clarify some issues, plus, the installation kinda deviate from weaksauce's guide a little bit.

I am very very happy with my retail install now. I have 4 separate hard drive, XP, Leo retail, Leo Kalyway, Shared Storage. Soon I will remove Kalyway version or just use it as storage.

**************Update********************

I ended up using OSX86Tools to install the Kexts, so I installed them all (even the ones in the extra folder from the p35.iso), then used Disk Utility to repair permissions and then rebooted...EVERYTHING IS WORKING...THANKS AGAIN for all of your help!

Congratulations!!!

Told you so! Just Do it!

Of note, the kext helper b7.app included in weaksauce's package is corrupted somehow. I had the same problem with password. I have to use the version comes with Kalyway without a hitch. Sorry for the run arround

Will update my guide tomorrow.

Just wanted to post a success story of mine. My process was a little different, so I will list that out.

I have a Gigabyte EP35-DS4, Geforce 8600 GT, 6 GB Ram, WMP54G v4.

I used the retail install with the method above, install went great, but thats when I ran into trouble. After initial setup, installing the combo update, chameleon and installing kext's and NVInject I resarted only to the mac loading screen hanging. I rebooted with -v and it would just hang when it got to the network device. According to weaksuce's guide he says to dissable the onboard LAN, which I did, but I think this is why it barfed out. I reinstalled again with onboard LAN "enabled" did the above steps(combo,kext, etc.) again and it rebooted fine!

One other note, I had to use OSX86Tools to install kext files, the app in weaksauces package would keep giving me password errors.

I installed Ralink CardBusWirelessDriver and was having issues with my WMP54G v4 card, It would see my wireless network but wouldn't stay connected for more than a second and then drop. I did some troubleshooting and disabled security authentication on the router, within seconds I was up and running?! So, I changed the type of security on my router from WPA to WEP and now it works perfect!

Installed all updates from Apple and couldnt be happier. Im so impressed with how easy this actually was to do, after getting the steps in the right order.

Now the only hiccup I'm having now is the Time Machine says

"The backup volume could not be found"

Which doesnt make any sense becasue I can see the drive mounted on the desktop. Im using an external firewire drive for this. Im still looking into this issue.

Oh, also I cant get the audio working with weaksauces utility... any ideas?

eclau clued me in on how to get a retail install of Leopard 10.5.4 on a GA-EP35-DS3L http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117763 . I replaced my Kalyway 10.5.4 install with it & couldn't be happier with the results. Everything works! Restart, Sleep, Shutdown, rex switching. It behaves just like a real Mac in every way but the boot. With the Kalyway install I had horrible audio(used same Taruga driver and Enabler on retail & it's superb audio), couldn't switch resolutions(blue screen), no sleep and more. Now I have the Mac I wanted, the one Apple couldn't be bothered with making, all thanks to this forum and it's members. This is fan-freaking-tastic!!!

Now the only hiccup I'm having now is the Time Machine says

"The backup volume could not be found"

Which doesnt make any sense becasue I can see the drive mounted on the desktop. Im using an external firewire drive for this. Im still looking into this issue.

I have just updated my tutorial. If you have the same Ether card like the p35-ds3l the nyou can install the IONetwokingfamily.kext. Should fix the Time Machine issue, and the DHCP, Ip address dropping

eclau clued me in on how to get a retail install of Leopard 10.5.4 on a GA-EP35-DS3L http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117763 . I replaced my Kalyway 10.5.4 install with it & couldn't be happier with the results. Everything works! Restart, Sleep, Shutdown, rex switching. It behaves just like a real Mac in every way but the boot. With the Kalyway install I had horrible audio(used same Taruga driver and Enabler on retail & it's superb audio), couldn't switch resolutions(blue screen), no sleep and more. Now I have the Mac I wanted, the one Apple couldn't be bothered with making, all thanks to this forum and it's members. This is fan-freaking-tastic!!!

Thanks for sharing

I am attempting to set a machine up using this guide, prior to going to the apple store and buying a retail copy of osx I wanted to make sure it all worked. I have downloaded what I believe to be a retail ISO, which I burned to a dual layer disc using k3b. The disc burned fine, and the burn was verified. The DVD (under linux) seems to contain "bootcamp", but the volume size seems much smaller ~500mb than the ~7500MB burned.

When I put this in the machine and attempted to boot from it nothing happened, (CDROM is my first boot device), it booted straight into linux.

Am I using the wrong image? Have I not marked the image as being bootable or something? Any help much appreciated.

I am attempting to set a machine up using this guide, prior to going to the apple store and buying a retail copy of osx I wanted to make sure it all worked. I have downloaded what I believe to be a retail ISO, which I burned to a dual layer disc using k3b. The disc burned fine, and the burn was verified. The DVD (under linux) seems to contain "bootcamp", but the volume size seems much smaller ~500mb than the ~7500MB burned.

When I put this in the machine and attempted to boot from it nothing happened, (CDROM is my first boot device), it booted straight into linux.

Am I using the wrong image? Have I not marked the image as being bootable or something? Any help much appreciated.

You can't boot directly from Leopard install disk. You must boot through the special 132 linux boot disk from my install package. If you did try to boot through the 132 boot disk, then something wrong with your Leopard disk

Right, I missed that, I have booted this and have begun the OSX installation.

I asked earlier, but how is it possible to use this method with a machine that is already setup to dual boot XP and Ubuntu ?

The machine has one 750GB disk.

TIA

I just read this: http://blog.gnist.org/article.php?story=Tr...SX-Ubuntu-Vista, is it possible to implement this method for triple booting based on your install method for osx?

This is an awesome guide- thanks for putting it together.

After a couple of tries, I have everything work just fine other than the following:

- time machine does not work

- my system boots to the boot 123 screen where I have to choose drive drive I want to boot from.

Any ideas?

Thanx

This is an awesome guide- thanks for putting it together.

After a couple of tries, I have everything work just fine other than the following:

- time machine does not work

- my system boots to the boot 123 screen where I have to choose drive drive I want to boot from.

Any ideas?

Thanx

Read my updated guide again. I included a time machine fix in there (IONetworking...kext)

You have to take the 132 CD out once done for your machine to boot form hard drive. If you see the menu asking you choose the drive to boot from that means you still boot from the cd. You must have skipped or failed at some step.

Ok,

I think I am almost finished. I am using the tools available to try debug my problems. I have a couple of questions.

I have created a user when installing, and not given it a password, I just left the password blank. Now I am getting the error: '_CFGetHostUUIDString: Unable to determine UUID for host. Error. 35' in the Console messages. I am using this solution but I cant sudo to copy the file before making a change. I don't know what the root password is. I don't think I set one up. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I get around this?

I was advised to use the passwd command to set a password for the user, this is not an issue any more.

I am also not getting any sound System Preferences -> Sound -> Output shows "No output devices found".

This was my fault, not understanding exactly how to use the AppleHDA patcher application properly.

Thanks

Thanks, I was pretty excited that simply plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard might solve my problem. I plugged in same from my G4 MDD but when I got to

boot:

in the bootloader, the keyboard wouldn't work.

For whatever reason it seems the DVD device won't read the Retail Disk. There may be something in the BIOS that needs to be tweaked, or perhaps I can find an external DVD reader that will work.

Meantime I need to repair my Kalyway 10.5.4 install, which now won't load unless I use the Boot-132 CD :-< (my goof on that one...)

Make sure you don't have a USB flash drive plugged in. It took me so long to figure out why it wasn't booting and it was because I had my USB flash drive in. As soon as I took it out, all of the booting problems disappeared.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to have all the kexts needed on the Boot-132 disc itself? I'd like to have a completely vanilla install

Does anyone know what I would need to delete and/or add to my initrd.img?

I figure I can get rid of the 2 PS2 kexts, because I'm using an Apple USB keybaord/mouse. I also deleted AppleVIAATA.kext, because I've disabled IDE in the BIOS

Any suggestions are very welcome

I did:

1. Back up with time machine

2. Freshly reinstall 10.5.1 retail ---> 10.5.5 update

3. Install new kext from

this post

4. Re-install selected applications from the time machine

I usually re-install my windows XP once a year to make it stable. For Leopard I think its a good idea to freshly re-install one a year with major update. Patchy update for Hackintosh will break your system. ( My 2 cents).

I will re-write the new guide, soon

This post is written from my new 10.5.5 retail Leo!!!