[Guide] Retail Leopard on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0

cyberbuddhah

100 posts in this topic

Thaks a lot for this guide cyberbuddhah. I've made 3 attempts to follow your guide but with the 10.5.5 combo update instead of the 10.5.4 update, and I have been unsuccessful so far so I'm looking foward to your updated 10.5.5 guide. Each time I have made it to step 20, but after a reboot the system hangs at the apple boot screen (grey screen with apple logo and spinning circle - no disk activity).

I also have a few questions and notes about the guide, just to be sure I'm not missing somthing:

3. Download this package here

6. Burn a boot 132 CD, the ISO file from #5...

10. Mount the Chamelon DFE dmg from #5.

Steps 3 and 6 both refer to #5 - I believe you mean to be referring to the package dowload from #3?

15. Install Chamelon. Chamelon will install the boot kexts from the EXTRA folder for you but not all the kexts in there. You need to install them in step # 16. Don't reboot yet.

16. Use Kext helper ( or OSX86 tools, if Kext Helper complains about passwords - KOOLSOFTS folder) to install Kext's first, from the extra folders in step #13, then, the kexts in the kext file folder. Install Ethernet driver, and, the IOnetworkingfamily.kext (fix Time Machine backup issue) in the networking folder.

17. Install stuffs from the vanilla folder from weaksauce's package to fix the power down and reboot issue, refer to the PDF file for more info. Install "About This Mac", optionally.

Each of these steps involves installing kext files and I have a few questions about them:

1. Is it necessary to install the kext's from the 'extra' folder using Kext Helper in Step 16 if Chamelon installs them for you in step 15?
  2. I believe some of the kext files in the 'extra' and 'kext files' folder have the same names, but with different version numbers. Do they all need to be installed separtely or should just the highest versions be installed with Kext Helper?
  3. Should 'SMBIOSResolver.kext.zip' in the 'kext files' folder be unzipped and installed?
  4. Is it possible to consolidate all the kext files that need to be installed into one folder and make another download package to simplify things?

I did:

1. Back up with time machine

2. Freshly reinstall 10.5.1 retail ---> 10.5.5 update

3. Install new kext from this post

I basically followed this sequence with my latest 10.5.5 update attempt and I installed the new 'OpenHaltRestart.kext' from the post you linked to (instead of the stuff in the Vanilla folder), in addition to the 'extra' folder kext's. I have a feeling my failure might have something to do with installing too many kext files and now they are conflicting?

Thaks a lot for this guide cyberbuddhah. I've made 3 attempts to follow your guide but with the 10.5.5 combo update instead of the 10.5.4 update, and I have been unsuccessful so far so I'm looking foward to your updated 10.5.5 guide. Each time I have made it to step 20, but after a reboot the system hangs at the apple boot screen (grey screen with apple logo and spinning circle - no disk activity).

I also have a few questions and notes about the guide, just to be sure I'm not missing somthing:

Steps 3 and 6 both refer to #5 - I believe you mean to be referring to the package dowload from #3?

Each of these steps involves installing kext files and I have a few questions about them:

1. Is it necessary to install the kext's from the 'extra' folder using Kext Helper in Step 16 if Chamelon installs them for you in step 15?
  2. I believe some of the kext files in the 'extra' and 'kext files' folder have the same names, but with different version numbers. Do they all need to be installed separtely or should just the highest versions be installed with Kext Helper?
  3. Should 'SMBIOSResolver.kext.zip' in the 'kext files' folder be unzipped and installed?
  4. Is it possible to consolidate all the kext files that need to be installed into one folder and make another download package to simplify things?

I basically followed this sequence with my latest 10.5.5 update attempt and I installed the new 'OpenHaltRestart.kext' from the post you linked to (instead of the stuff in the Vanilla folder), in addition to the 'extra' folder kext's. I have a feeling my failure might have something to do with installing too many kext files and now they are conflicting?

The kext's included in "the package" are for 10.5.4, now obsolete. You need to use the new kext since 10.5.5 came with a new framework library.

Give me a few days, i am tied up with some other projects with deadline; I will update my guide.

While waiting, you can read up on topics by MAcinized, and download the new kext's from:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Basically, what i did was, at the step where "extra folder content" is needed, i used the new kext's from the above post. DONE!

The kext's included in "the package" are for 10.5.4, now obsolete. You need to use the new kext since 10.5.5 came with a new framework library.

Give me a few days, i am tied up with some other projects with deadline; I will update my guide.

While waiting, you can read up on topics by MAcinized, and download the new kext's from:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Basically, what i did was, at the step where "extra folder content" is needed, i used the new kext's from the above post. DONE!

Thanks again, I read that post and tried a couple more times but still can't get 10.5.5 to boot ;) . I'll wait for your guide update before I try again.

Hello All!

Awesome Guide. So cool.

Here's my situation:

I have the Gigabyte P35-DS3L, with a Q9300 processor and 8GB of RAM. Woot! kickass.

I also have a beast of a video card: NVidia GeForce 9800 GX2.

So I burned the P35.iso and can boot it, and I get the dreaded plist error as that loads, then swap disks, then I get the apple logo, spinning for a bit.

Then it tells me I need to restart.

Booting with Verbose mode I can see that the following causes a panic:

display: family specific matching fails.

and the stacktrace ends with comp.apple.GeForce(5.1.6).

So I am guessing that Leopard no likey my video card?

I have some older ATI cards I can throw in (I think) to test with, but does anyone have a clue about this?

Thanks in advance!

GR

Is there any issues at all with this guide with different versions of the retail disc? i.e. between the 10.5.4 integrated retail disc and the 10.5.0 retail disc ?

I am considering using a 10.5.4 integrated retail disc for install and then update to 10.5.5 (I have the exact same mobo). 1 more question does the asus WL-138G V2 work flawlessly in 10.5.5 ? I have read in kalyway it does not need any drivers just works - is this the same in 10.5.5 (retail) ?

Is there any issues at all with this guide with different versions of the retail disc? i.e. between the 10.5.4 integrated retail disc and the 10.5.0 retail disc ?

I am considering using a 10.5.4 integrated retail disc for install and then update to 10.5.5 (I have the exact same mobo). 1 more question does the asus WL-138G V2 work flawlessly in 10.5.5 ? I have read in kalyway it does not need any drivers just works - is this the same in 10.5.5 (retail) ?

i have the WL-138G V2 and it works just fine in 10.5.5 as it did in 10.5.4 without any drivers needed.

This is my 32nd attempt at getting Leopard to work using this guide. Yes, I have a GA-P35-DS3L 2.0. I can boot the installer, install 10.5.0, get to desktop.

But every single time I follow the instructions for updating to 10.5.4 or 10.5.5 I end up with a broken install and have to start over.

Here are my steps. Tell me if I'm messing up anywhere.

I install 10.5.4 combo update, drag Chameleon for Hard Disk DMG contents to desktop, copy Extensions folder from p35.iso to Extra Contents, install Chameleon, use OSX86 Tools to install all the kexts from p35.iso, one at a time.

Then I do the same with the kexts in the Kext Files folder. I also install the Time Machine fix kexts.

Once I do all this, I reboot and get stuck in a permanent reboot loop. Either that or it just hangs while booting. Doesn't matter what boot flags I use. Also doesn't matter if I try setting my EFI strings before rebooting. I'm getting really frustrated here.

I've tried many variations on the steps and nada. Help.

This is my 32nd attempt at getting Leopard to work using this guide. Yes, I have a GA-P35-DS3L 2.0. I can boot the installer, install 10.5.0, get to desktop.

But every single time I follow the instructions for updating to 10.5.4 or 10.5.5 I end up with a broken install and have to start over.

I install 10.5.4 combo update, drag Chameleon for Hard Disk DMG contents to desktop, copy Extensions folder from p35.iso to Extra Contents, install Chameleon, use OSX86 Tools to install all the kexts from p35.iso, one at a time.

Then I do the same with the kexts in the Kext Files folder. I also install the Time Machine fix kexts.

Once I do all this, I reboot and get stuck in a permanent reboot loop. Either that or it just hangs while booting. Doesn't matter what boot flags I use. Also doesn't matter if I try setting my EFI strings before rebooting. I'm getting really frustrated here.

Sounds like the same method as I've been using, and I've got to the same point as you after each of my 5 or 6 attempts - hanging while booting no matter what flags used. I've tried several combinations of kext files and setting or not setting EFI strings. Most of my attempts were installing from a 10.5.4 retail DVD then upgrading to 10.5.5 before re-booting. Still hoping for a clear 10.5.5 retail install guide or an explination of what could be causing the hang at reboot before I try again.

Why not give kalyway a go if you are having issues ?

Great guide here for that specific motherboard ...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112708

I've thought about it and read that guide, but I like the idea of a vanilla install that's upgradeable to the latest update and there are obviously some people successfully running 10.5.5 from a retail DVD install so we know it's possible. I'm in no rush so I'd rather keep trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong or wait for another guide. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Just curious, by using the boot-132 disc at the start remove the hardware locked part of the leopard installation discs? i.e. can I use my original macbook leopard install discs to install retail leopard following this guide? Or would I need to convert those discs following something like this tutorial ... http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=116505

Just curious, by using the boot-132 disc at the start remove the hardware locked part of the leopard installation discs? i.e. can I use my original macbook leopard install discs to install retail leopard following this guide? Or would I need to convert those discs following something like this tutorial ... http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=116505

As I understand it, the boot-132 disk does allow leopard installation from an unmodified retail disc, however your original macbook leopard install disc won't work on this mobo since it is a hardware specific install for your macbook. You must use a generic retail leopard install disc.

I tried my 10.5.4 disc that came with my Macbook. No dice.

Though I was happy that when it booted up I had dual monitor support in the installer - which has increased my drive to get these updates to work.

After a little bit of looking around I think I'm going to try and use this method to get the proper kexts in place - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

I have it fully set-up now and working with 10.5.0 - my install is completely stock so far. Time to experiment.

UPDATE: I GOT IT WORKING. See pic:

http://www.420chan.org/working.png

I'm going to go out for a while to grab some food but I think when I get back I'm going to be writing my own guide for those that are stuck like me.

Got it working using the fat32 hidden partition? I'd be interested in reading your guide if you type one up :)

I'm going to go out for a while to grab some food but I think when I get back I'm going to be writing my own guide for those that are stuck like me.

Nice Work! Your systems specs look pretty much identical to mine so there is hope. I might try the Munky guide you linked to, looks pretty straight forward. Thanks for the update.

Please could you update the guide or make a new one? I really want to install leopard on my GA-P35-DS3L but cyberbuddhah's guide is outdated at least for 10.5.5. and as much as I try to mix this guide with other guides to get it properly installed to 10.5.5. , i get lost :wacko:

Just a theory but I noticed the 10.5.5 update says it can only update from 10.5.1 up (10.5.0 is not mentioned). I also noticed cyberbuddah said he went from his retail disc which is 10.5.1 straight to 10.5.5 on his fresh install (a few posts back).

So my theory is maybe you need to obtain a 10.5.1 retail disc and do the same combo 10.5.5 update, or try your 10.5.0 retail disc update to 10.5.1 (google 10.5.1 combo - its still on the apple site) then go straight for the 10.5.5 combo update. I don't have a system to test it at the moment so Kirtaner if you want to go for your 33rd attempt let me know how it goes.

Keep in mind I haven't had a lot of experience with osx86 at the moment so it's possible my theory is complete bull$#!T :)

Just a theory but I noticed the 10.5.5 update says it can only update from 10.5.1 up (10.5.0 is not mentioned). I also noticed cyberbuddah said he went from his retail disc which is 10.5.1 straight to 10.5.5 on his fresh install (a few posts back).

So my theory is maybe you need to obtain a 10.5.1 retail disc and do the same combo 10.5.5 update, or try your 10.5.0 retail disc update to 10.5.1 (google 10.5.1 combo - its still on the apple site) then go straight for the 10.5.5 combo update. I don't have a system to test it at the moment so Kirtaner if you want to go for your 33rd attempt let me know how it goes.

Keep in mind I haven't had a lot of experience with osx86 at the moment so it's possible my theory is complete bull$#!T :D

Hello to all of you with a DS3L board!

I have one too, and have (for days) been struggling with getting this installation method to work. I finally did, and got it to update all the way to 10.5.5...

Here's how I did it, with a few notes:

1.) Just as all of you did, I installed everything via the instructions and booted into 10.5.0 with the boot-132 CD. Before doing this, though, I downloaded both the 10.5.4 Combo Update from Apple AND the 10.5.5 Combo Update, saving them on my external drive.

2.) I installed the Chameleon EFI emulator as follows:

...a.) Mount the .dmg file and drag the contents to the desktop.

...b.) Mount the initrd.img file from the original p35.iso

...c.) I wasn't sure if the extensions in the Extras folder needed to be placed alone in the Chameleon Extras folder, or within the Extensions folder like they are on the disk. So I did both (that is, my Chameleon Extras folder has all the kexts from the initrd.img by themselves, as well as a folder called Extensions in which I placed the kexts again). I'm still not sure which is the right way, but I'm sure I'll test it soon.

...d.) Install Chameleon.

Note: The instructions given in this tutorial tell you to update to 10.5.4 before restarting. I opted not to do this; it worked for me once, but I had to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext before restarting. This is because the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement disabler kext didn't load on restart. This kext, which should now be in the Extras folder right on your hard drive (the folder that Chameleon creates and uses to boot from), is what allows us to continually update OS X from Apple because it disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext at boot. For those of you who have used other methods of installing Leopard (kalyway, iAtkos, etc.), you know that this kext needs to be deleted each time you update the OS.

So, don't install the update yet. We'll get to that.

3.)Download kexthelper b7. The one in the package supplied here is corrupt and doesn't work. Use this to install the kext files in initrd.img and the kexts in the "Kexts" folder supplied in the package. The initrd.img kexts installation is just a precaution. Don't worry about installing video drivers or anything from the vanilla folder yet, because when you update to 10.5.5, this will all be undone anyway. Reboot.

4.) You should be able to boot into Leopard 10.5.0 (or whatever version your retail DVD is) now without the boot-132 cd. Now it's time to update to 10.5.4. The reason I didn't go straight to 10.5.5 was to see if the installation will successfully update from Apple (which is the whole point of installing using the retail DVD). Upon reboot, make sure you boot with -v. The system will click away for awhile and then finally give a MACH_REBOOT message. You'll have to manually turn it off, then boot it again. The system should boot into 10.5.4.

5.) The 10.5.5 update introduces a fresh platform, which means that we'll have to re-install some kext files. Now that you've booted into your 10.5.4 system, run the 10.5.5 update, but DO NOT restart yet! After it runs, use kexthelper to install the 10.5.5 kexts that are linked to in this tutorial (here). After they install, reboot.

6.) Just like last time, boot with -v. You should get another MACH_REBOOT message. Hard reset, boot again. You should boot into 10.5.5.

7.) Now, you may install any additional kext files that you wish (audio patch, video drivers, etc.).

I hope this helps. It took me about 5 fresh installations to realize that the AppleACPIPlatform.kext was continually breaking my install...

***If for some reason at any of these steps prior to updating to 10.5.5 you CAN'T boot, either boot the retail Leopard DVD again or boot into another OS X installation and re-install the original kexts in the kext folder (if you're doing this from the Leopard DVD, you'll have to use terminal). If the system hangs after updating to 10.5.5, use the Leopard DVD or another installation to re-install the 10.5.5 kexts.

One more thing-- I am typing this from work, which means I don't have my hack in front of me. I wrote this from memory, which means that I very well may have forgotten a step (hopefully not!). I'll check back with my notes when I get home and update my post. Please post replies if you have any success/failures.

After failing a LOT with this installation, I realized that a good thing to do each time you install is to document each step as you take it. That way, you know which steps worked and which steps didn't. You can then follow your own documentation up to the point where your installation broke and try something new.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Working after all :D

Had 2 issues :

1st one) i had and have always the boot.plist error when booting the 132 cd-drive, and the chamelon for hard drive boot,

but hopefully, no issue when booting leopard. The error is still there, but all works.

2de one) I got several kernel panic boot "prohybitory sign" before managing the first boot of leopard dvd-drive. Hopefully, they diseapered. I still don't found the cause of this issue.

Good luck to others

• 1 year later...

Guys, I need a stability advice.

What I have:

Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0

Core 2 Quad Q6600

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S

2x WD5000AACS 500Gb SATA drives (no RAID currently)

HDP725050GLA360 500Gb SATA drive (main)

XFX Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 256Mb

2x 2Gb DDR-800 cm2x2048-8500c5d Corsair memory modules

Linksys WMP300N PCI Wi-Fi N card

1920x1080 native SyncMaster P2350

Old USB Apple keyboard

USB2Radio Logitech mouse

Noname Bluetooth that works, actually

Thermaltake 500W power supply

Software:

Leopard Retail DVD

Boot-132 Boot CD (was downloaded from here, the date I guess was 11/21/2008 (could find it only through shared files on mediafire, weaksauce12 does not have a working link)

as a consequence..

chameleon 1.0.11

some kexts preinstalled with boot 132 cd

10.5.8 Combo update

custom ALC888 kext (preinstalled did not work)

as far as i remenber NVinject (natit did not work)

Problems:

hackintosh is slow on graphics (sluggish whatever i do, like there is a graphic delay of 0.2-0.5sec each 3-5 seconds (can’t trace it through activity monitor). It is not dependent on processes that I have or am I playing a bdrip or just moving a mouse, there is just a lag). What can it be? Can show you anything, just tell

high resolution works only on 1 port from nvidia (including color profiles etc) - guess that’s normal - may be a solution?

if it wakes up (not from sleep, just from monitor of I see a noise sometimes (3-15sec, cures with switching monitor off and on again sometimes)

lots of software minor issues like partly working google toolbar, steam, disks do not eject from time to time etc

What bothers me mostly is this sluggishness. Any solutions?

Including my kexts dir for you to review.

KEXT_LIST.rtf

Guys, I need a stability advice.

What I have:

Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0

Core 2 Quad Q6600

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S

2x WD5000AACS 500Gb SATA drives (no RAID currently)

HDP725050GLA360 500Gb SATA drive (main)

XFX Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 256Mb

2x 2Gb DDR-800 cm2x2048-8500c5d Corsair memory modules

Linksys WMP300N PCI Wi-Fi N card

1920x1080 native SyncMaster P2350

Old USB Apple keyboard

USB2Radio Logitech mouse

Noname Bluetooth that works, actually

Thermaltake 500W power supply

Software:

Leopard Retail DVD

Boot-132 Boot CD (was downloaded from here, the date I guess was 11/21/2008 (could find it only through shared files on mediafire, weaksauce12 does not have a working link)

as a consequence..

chameleon 1.0.11

some kexts preinstalled with boot 132 cd

10.5.8 Combo update

custom ALC888 kext (preinstalled did not work)

as far as i remenber NVinject (natit did not work)

Problems:

hackintosh is slow on graphics (sluggish whatever i do, like there is a graphic delay of 0.2-0.5sec each 3-5 seconds (can’t trace it through activity monitor). It is not dependent on processes that I have or am I playing a bdrip or just moving a mouse, there is just a lag). What can it be? Can show you anything, just tell

high resolution works only on 1 port from nvidia (including color profiles etc) - guess that’s normal - may be a solution?

if it wakes up (not from sleep, just from monitor of I see a noise sometimes (3-15sec, cures with switching monitor off and on again sometimes)

lots of software minor issues like partly working google toolbar, steam, disks do not eject from time to time etc

What bothers me mostly is this sluggishness. Any solutions?

Including my kexts dir for you to review.

XBench shows 155 points which is low of course but not very low (results inside)

xbench_results.txt