[Guide] Retail Leopard on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0

cyberbuddhah

100 posts in this topic

Hello,

I encountered a problem at Step 8, Leo would not boot.

I tried a combination of things, but never could get past this message:

"/apple.Boot.plist not found"

I did not add anything to the Extra folder before burning the Boot-132 CD, could that be my problem? Or possibly an incorrect BIOS setting? (I followed weaksauce's guide; the only thing I differed on was in the Integrated Peripherals screen, in which I left Onboard IDE Controller enabled.

Also, I am attempting to install Leopard on an IDE HD, which is my test environment. Could that be a problem?

(Kalyway 10.5.4 is installed on a separate SATA HD.)

Your guidance would be welcome!

I have the same set up and installed it OK.

XP on SATA

Kalyway on IDE

Retail LEo on another IDE

Your Retail DVD probably BAD. If you burned it, use slowest speed as possible.

Read more HERE

Following your instructions to a tee, I have tried 6 times and each time it will not let me install the kexts due to password failure. I did set up an account and did have a accounts prefs pane but after installing the 10.5.4 combo update it gets trashed thus preventing me from using kext helper. I will try installing kexts and vanilla before the 10.5.4 combo update next, I'll report my findings.

May be try this first.

1. Don't install 10.5.4 yet. Make sure that you can log in to your basic 10.5.X version first, after you complete step 8. Test your password couple times.

2. Install Chamelon DFE first, to see that you cant boot form hard disk

3. Then do the Kext update from weaksauce's package.

Thanks for your patience

I did try all that you suggested but it was a no go each time. Must be something different about the GA-EP35-DS3L. I was successful in installing Kalyway 10.2 and upgrading it to 10.5.4. Hoping for a retail/boot 132 solution soon. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I have the same set up and installed it OK.

XP on SATA

Kalyway on IDE

Retail LEo on another IDE

Your Retail DVD probably BAD. If you burned it, use slowest speed as possible.

I didn't burn my retail DVD - I purchased it from an Apple retailer. Did you mean the Boot-132 CD? First I burned one very slowly using Disk Utility but it would not boot at all. Then I burned another one using XP. It burned at a much faster rate but only got me through to Step 8.

Thanks for your help.

I didn't burn my retail DVD - I purchased it from an Apple retailer. Did you mean the Boot-132 CD? First I burned one very slowly using Disk Utility but it would not boot at all. Then I burned another one using XP. It burned at a much faster rate but only got me through to Step 8.

Thanks for your help.

Do you have AHCI turned on?

When you boot the retail disk, at Darwin boot prompt, enter -v ( verbal mode)

I did try all that you suggested but it was a no go each time. Must be something different about the GA-EP35-DS3L. I was successful in installing Kalyway 10.2 and upgrading it to 10.5.4. Hoping for a retail/boot 132 solution soon. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Try to find your 132 boot HERE

Sorry to hear that it did not work with your mobo

Do you have AHCI turned on?

When you boot the retail disk, at Darwin boot prompt, enter -v ( verbal mode)

Hi CB,

I did have AHCI turned on, so I'm interested in your suggestion that I may have a bad retail disk. In any case, I haven't been successful but I've had a lot of fun trying. Here's a summary of what I attempted:

- Tried many combinations of -v and others, but the result was the same: "com.apple.Boot.plist not found"

- Tried to install on an IDE drive, same result

- Made a second partition on my working Kalyway 10.5.4 SATA drive, but same result

- Thinking the .iso may be been incomplete, I installed Kaly's modified chameleon package first on the IDE disk, and then on the second partition of the Kalyway SATA disk - that eliminates the need for the Boot-132 CD at install. Same result

- From my Kalyway 10.5.4 desktop, I tried installing from the Retail disk first to both the IDE disk, and then to the second partition on my Kaly 10.5.4. In each instance I had the same result (except that now my Kalyway install requires using the Retail disk and -v to boot, or a partition error displays in the AHCI bios!)

After my very first install attempt, I did not get the prompt "...foreign 0S" (Sorry, I can't remember the whole prompt). Is that clue to my problem?

When "com.apple.Boot.plist not found" occurs, is the bootloader looking for that file on the Retail Disk? Is that why you're thinking the Retail Disk is bad?

I used Disk Utilities to check the Retail Disk and it appears to be OK. Is there another way to check it more thoroughly? If it is bad, I can return to the the Apple Retailer for another one.

Thanks.

Your DVD-ROM has to be a SATA drive, not IDE. You may have to use IDE to SATA adapter for the DVD to be read.

Thanks - I have read that elsewhere but just wasn't sure if it applied. I installed the DVD drive a few months ago and think it may be on the IDE channel :-<

Your DVD-ROM has to be a SATA drive, not IDE. You may have to use IDE to SATA adapter for the DVD to be read.

CB,

I was mistaken in my earlier reply, above. I checked inside my machine, and my DVD writer is a SATA device. Another member suggested I may not be waiting long enough for the device to read the Retail DVD after swapping it in, but this time after waiting, the DVD light just went out.

This is a tough one. Thanks for your patience and help.

CB,

I was mistaken in my earlier reply, above. I checked inside my machine, and my DVD writer is a SATA device. Another member suggested I may not be waiting long enough for the device to read the Retail DVD after swapping it in, but this time after waiting, the DVD light just went out.

This is a tough one. Thanks for your patience and help.

Read this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry750209

"My suggestion to anyone experiencing the "System config file 'com.apple.boot.plist' not found" problem, is make sure all your hardware is connected in a standard fashion and make sure your system is as "bare bones" as needed to install OS X! You can always add your scanner, Printer, additional HDD's and optical drives later.

1) Could not get past the "System config file 'com.apple.boot.plist' not found" message.

FIX:- Make sure BOTH mouse and keyboard are USB."

"Try external DVD Drive"

i'll. thanks for the hint mate.

Hve you installed the stuffs in the "vanilla" folder. Should fix the "power off" problem

1) Could not get past the "System config file 'com.apple.boot.plist' not found" message.

FIX:- Make sure BOTH mouse and keyboard are USB."

Thanks, I was pretty excited that simply plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard might solve my problem. I plugged in same from my G4 MDD but when I got to

boot:

in the bootloader, the keyboard wouldn't work.

For whatever reason it seems the DVD device won't read the Retail Disk. There may be something in the BIOS that needs to be tweaked, or perhaps I can find an external DVD reader that will work.

Meantime I need to repair my Kalyway 10.5.4 install, which now won't load unless I use the Boot-132 CD :-< (my goof on that one...)

Thanks, I was pretty excited that simply plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard might solve my problem. I plugged in same from my G4 MDD but when I got to

boot:

in the bootloader, the keyboard wouldn't work.

For whatever reason it seems the DVD device won't read the Retail Disk. There may be something in the BIOS that needs to be tweaked, or perhaps I can find an external DVD reader that will work.

Meantime I need to repair my Kalyway 10.5.4 install, which now won't load unless I use the Boot-132 CD :-< (my goof on that one...)

Strange, I repeated the whole sequence myself ( up to booting in to the set up screen) on my machine and it just works. Appaarently your problem has been encountered by several people for different reasons. Maybe a different brand of DVD reader ( external or internal ) if you can borrow, will work, or just exchange the disk. From what I understand is once the install disk boots up it loaded some basic I/O drivers into the memory, then looks up for the plist file. Somehow your DVD Rom is not regcognized by these basic I/O drivers, to Leo, it's not there!

If you are gonna fix Kalyway, you can consider to install retail Leo from inside Kalyway.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Read the Simple install section, to copy Leo to the hard drive of your choice, then install the Chamelon + 132 Extra package.

Maybe a different brand of DVD reader ( external or internal ) if you can borrow, will work, or just exchange the disk. From what I understand is once the install disk boots up it loaded some basic I/O drivers into the memory, then looks up for the plist file. Somehow your DVD Rom is not regcognized by these basic I/O drivers, to Leo, it's not there!

If you are gonna fix Kalyway, you can consider to install retail Leo from inside Kalyway.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Read the Simple install section, to copy Leo to the hard drive of your choice, then install the Chamelon + 132 Extra package.

Thanks. Maybe in the future I'll try an external DVD. Interestingly, I had the idea of installing Leo inside Kalyway on both an IDE and a SATA drive. I installed Chameleon on the destination drive first, then tried to boot Leo. Same problem. It just won't see that .plist

Thanks. Maybe in the future I'll try an external DVD. Interestingly, I had the idea of installing Leo inside Kalyway on both an IDE and a SATA drive. I installed Chameleon on the destination drive first, then tried to boot Leo. Same problem. It just won't see that .plist

Maybe the retail Leo version itself. I have 10.5.0. I noted that the version currently on apple store's shelf is 10.5.1. See if any of your friends have different retail disk to rule out physical defects.

Maybe the retail Leo version itself. I have 10.5.0. I noted that the version currently on apple store's shelf is 10.5.1. See if any of your friends have different retail disk to rule out physical defects.

Great suggestion - I'll see if I can find another copy.

I genuinely appreciate your responses. Thank you.

I was planning on buying this board, however I was wondering what memory people are using? The reason I ask is that I found a PDF of the Gigabyte page which suggests only particular part numbers are supported. Does anyone have experience of this? I have attached the PDF as found on the Gigabyte site.

TIA

motherboard_memory_ga_p35_ds3l_2.0.pdf

I have everything up and running..thank you for the great work on this Guide! I am having one issue...I am not sure what "Extra" contents they are talking about?

14. drag the content from the extra folder into the proper destination as instructed in REadMe file, step #12

1 - Copy the contents of your "Extra" folder to "Extra Contents" directory link!!!

2 - then run Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg and install it to your hard disk!!!

not sure what "extra's" they are talking about...and what exactly is this function doing?

***************** Update************************

Apparently I am having some other issues...but I am hoping it is related to the lack of knowledge about the "Extra's" folder...when I do try to reboot, it starts to and then I get the spinning wheel of death, so I manually reboot, and when I select the partition, it starts to boot, and I get the "You need to restart...hold the button down...panic you are dead in the water screen" I am assuming this is a configuration/driver issue? I can't even you the boot disk to get it up and running...so I have apparently killed the entire installation-it goes to the initial Apple (white screen with the spinning wheel) and just sits there, spinning, laughing at me LOL :unsure: Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is what I am running:

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

XFX PVT88PYDD4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Samsung Super-WriteMaster Dual/Double Layer DVD±RW Burner SATA

Enlight 7250AKG Black 0.8mm Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 650W Power Supply

MacOSX Leopard 10.5.4 (Retail)

I have everything up and running..thank you for the great work on this Guide! I am having one issue...I am not sure what "Extra" contents they are talking about?

14. drag the content from the extra folder into the proper destination as instructed in REadMe file, step #12

1 - Copy the contents of your "Extra" folder to "Extra Contents" directory link!!!

2 - then run Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg and install it to your hard disk!!!

not sure what "extra's" they are talking about...and what exactly is this function doing?

After mounting the p35.iso as a CD, you will see another file INITRD.IMG

Double click on this file to mount it as a disk.

The "Extra" folder is inside this initrd "disk"

somehow I have to restart with -f. If I dont certain kext wont load.

See:

with -f

10a82_Picture%201.png

without -f

ef035_Picture%202.png

I have repaired permissions, reinstalled the kexts with kexthelper, reinstalled the cham. package.

thanks in advance.

Your AppleAHCIport.kext did not load properly. Try to re-install it from the kext folder, weaksauce's package. Repair permission. On the safe side, this is what i did:

1. re-install all the mod'ed kexts from the extra folder inside initrd.img using kext helper. Dont reboot

2. re-install all the mod'ed kexts from from weaksauce's package.

3. repair permission

4. reboot

I also noted that you did not name your OS X partition properly. Name it in SINGLE WORD, like LEO, MAC, MACHD, not two separated words like "untitled 1"

thanks for the reply mate, so, to have things clear, I have to install the extra/extensions kexts. Its not enough to have them placed there but you have to install them?

(good note about the disk name, I just left the default name disk util put)

Its not enough to have them placed there but you have to install them?

(good note about the disk name, I just left the default name disk util put)

Some of the kext's in that folder to be used for the chamelon boot process, others for the system kext. Using weaksaucee's kexts installed over these kexts eliminate kernel panic.

mine.tiff