[Guide] Retail Leopard on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0

cyberbuddhah

100 posts in this topic

<<UPDATED August 10, 2008>>

Actually this "guide" is just a link pointer to make it easier for those who own this Motherboard and want to toy with Leo. It is based upon other guides found on this forum. This motherboard, to me is the best board for OSX86. Very easy to work with. My system with only a few tweaks considered as 99% genuine Leopard, not shy of a real Mac Pro

1. Please go BUY a retail disk for Leopard.

2. Download Combo Leo 10.5.4 update dmg from apple's website. Put in on a USB thumb drive or burn it on a CD.

3. Download this package here

4. Read the instructions how to set up bios, an excellent guide by weaksauce: here. I included a PDF file (with weak's permission) in the install package for your reference. The section that pertinent to our tutorial is the BIOS setting and the kext install part. You can skip the Kaly way install part. If you don't set BIOS right, retail disk won't boot. Mainly, set "No-Execute Memory Protect" to "Enabled", else, your retail disk will get into an endless reboot.

5. Some of you may find that retail disk boots into a blank screen or garbage screen, consider to temporarily swap the video card, a no name or cheap one for now. Because Leopard supports ATI 2600 XT pro and some Nvidia cards but not a whole spectrum of the cards by this two brand names. The stock video drivers are therefore not fully compatible.

6. Burn a boot 132 CD, the ISO file from #5. Burn it at the slowest speed with verification, else, you may get the .plist error. This boot CD with all kext modified specifically for this Motherboard. You will need it to boot twice during the installation process. Copy the Chamelon DMG file to a thumb drive

7. Boot the 132 CD, at the prompt, swap your Leo retail disk, hit Enter twice. Ignore the errors, whinning about BIOS settings blah blah. Your DVD-ROM has to be a SATA for the disk to boot properly.

8. Leo will boot. Format disk as GUID, MBR does not work. Name your disk in single word, no space in between. In case that you dual boot, had Kalyway vesrion on one disk, or has windoze pre-installed on one of the hard drives,, make sure that you don't wipe out the wrong disk ( unless you hate Vista that much!). Installation takes about 15 to 25 min. and reboot again. If the system freezes, don't worry, we fix that later. Just manually hit the reset or push and hold the power off button then turn on the system again, manually. Your system can't boot itself yet. You need the 132 CD again to boot. This time select 80, or 81 at the prompt depends on which drive you use. [ 80 : First hard drive, 81: second hard drive]. It will make sense to you once you are at the boot prompt.

9. Install 10.5.4 combo update, don't hit restart, yet. ( If you have not downloaded the update, you can D/L it now since the internet should work by default, however I feel it safer to download it before in step 2 and have it ready on a USB thumb drive)

10. Mount the Chamelon DFE dmg from #5.

11.Drag the entire content from #10 to desktop

12. Read the Readme file in there, follow instructions: steps 13, 14.

13. Mount the DMG file, Initrd.img from #5 cd-rom

14. drag the content from the extra folder into the proper destination as instructed in ReadMe file, step #12

15. Install Chamelon. Chamelon will install the boot kexts from the EXTRA folder for you but not all the kexts in there. You need to install them in step # 16. Don't reboot yet.

16. Use Kext helper ( or OSX86 tools, if Kext Helper complains about passwords - KOOLSOFTS folder) to install Kext's first, from the extra folders in step #13, then, the kexts in the kext file folder. Install Ethernet driver, and, the IOnetworkingfamily.kext (fix Time Machine backup issue) in the networking folder.

17. Install stuffs from the vanilla folder from weaksauce's package to fix the power down and reboot issue, refer to the PDF file for more info. Install "About This Mac", optionally.

18. Use EFISudio from #5 to install Video, Sound, by EFI or from audio folder following weaksauce's guides. Use CORRECT Video driver otherwise you will get a blank or garbage screen. Use OSX86 Tools to Repair permissions before reboot

19. IF you swap the video card in step #3. Shut the system down and swap the intended video card back before reboot.

20. Remove the 132 CD, you don't need any more. Save it for re-installation just in case. Let your rig reboot from hard drive. If you multiboot, hit F12 at boot up to select the right disk drive. Consult other forum for multiboot set up. If you have XP in a different hard disk like me,

20a. Copy the files from the boot folder in the p35-dsl-retail folder, to your C:\ drive

20b. Add this line to boot.ini: C:\boot.gpt="My Cool Leo or whatever the name of your OS X"

Ahhh YES! Fire away baby!

August 14,2008:

1. Optionally, if you have problem with Kernel panic with memory more than 4GB consider installing JMicron ATA Kext, included a better version of version of IONetworkingFamily.kext specifically for this board, for time machine and IP dropping issues, here

2. I successfully upgraded to a beta update version of Leopard 10.5.5 just a click of the mouse! Basically after installing the update, just re-install all the mod'ed kextx and the video driver (repeat steps #15 to 18) before reboot.

post-243453-1218776472_thumb.jpg

August18,2008:

I am installing a retail Leopard on my RAID drive, will keep those who are interested posted.

September 27, 2008

Install 10.5.5 fresh

The kext's included in "the package" are for 10.5.4, now obsolete. You need to use the new kext's since 10.5.5 came with a new framework library.

Give me a few days, i am tied up with some other projects with deadline; I will update my guide.

While waiting, you can read up on topics by MAcinized related 132 boot method: he has some creative ideas, and download the new kext's for 10.5.5 from:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Basically, what i did was, at the steps where "extra folder content" is needed : 12,13,14, i used the new kext's from the above post. Them to make sure, i also installed the kext's one more time using OSX86 tools. DONE!

Thank you and hat off to all masters who created this project. I am just an average user, do not PM me please.

What is "80" and "81" from instruction 8?

80 : First hard drive, 81: second hard drive : in case that you dual boot or has windoze pre-installed on one of the hard drive. Make sure that you don't wipe out the wrong disk ( unless you hate Vista that much!). It will make sense to you once you are at the boot prompt

Can this method use with XP and OSX that will be installed in the same drive (different partition)?

I have not tried. From what I read is NO. Chamelon works on GUID partition, not willing to share with XP ( unless thru boot camp), and some partition tweaks.

I have not tried. From what I read is NO. Chamelon works on GUID partition, not willing to share with XP ( unless thru boot camp), and some partition tweaks.

Yeah, the only group I've heard of that was successful with getting XP on a GUID system is Apple :D So far we can only do MBR on Hackintoshes if we want Leopard + XP.

Actually this "guide" is just a link pointer to make it easier for those who own this Motherboard and want to toy with Leo. It is based upon other guides found on this board.

Thank you and hat off to all masters who created this project. I am just an average user, do not PM me please.

Thank you cyberbuddah,

I've been looking for a clear tutorial on how to do this with my P35C. I have a solid Kalyway 10.5.4 installation, but it would be nice to have a retail install. Will post the outcome in the next few days. I will attempt it first in a test environment before writing over my current install.

Yeah, the only group I've heard of that was successful with getting XP on a GUID system is Apple ;) So far we can only do MBR on Hackintoshes if we want Leopard + XP.

Not Necessarily, at least on Desktops if you have 2 HDs, XP on MBR and Mac OS on GUID

Not Necessarily, at least on Desktops if you have 2 HDs, XP on MBR and Mac OS on GUID

I agree with two hard drives, but i still can't figure out the way to do it, GUID not MBR, dual boot, with one hard drive

Thank you cyberbuddah,

I've been looking for a clear tutorial on how to do this with my P35C. I have a solid Kalyway 10.5.4 installation, but it would be nice to have a retail install. Will post the outcome in the next few days. I will attempt it first in a test environment before writing over my current install.

I love the retail version. It seems snappier faster and less prone to crashing on some software. In addition, you can update directly from apple later on. I still keep weaksauce's version on a separate hard drive, using it to debug the retail partition just in case. Once I am totally happy with the retail i will stack weaksauce's version away as a back up.

Cheers

Does this work with the GA-P35-DS3L Rev 1.0? I have this mobo.

I think so. Just do it! Some one with your mobo board successfully installed weaksauce's Kalyway version ( greythorne, his post above in this thread). So I guess it's probably OK. Install it on a another testing hard drive first.

G' luck

I love the retail version. It seams snappier faster and less prone to crashing on some software. In addition, you can update directly from apple later on. I still keep weaksauce's version on a separate hard drive, using it to debug the retail partition just in case. Once I am totally happy with the retail i will stack weaksauce's version away as a back up.

I'm getting ready to try this in a test environment. However I have a question about what files to burn on the Boot 132 CD. Is it just the p35.iso, or should I burn the Chameleon.dmg also on the disk also?

Thanks

I'm getting ready to try this in a test environment. However I have a question about what files to burn on the Boot 132 CD. Is it just the p35.iso, or should I burn the Chameleon.dmg also on the disk also?

Thanks

Good question, just the iso file. The DMG put on a thumd drive

Many thanks. I bought the retail version this morning and will attempt the install this weekend. I will post the results!

GA-P35C-DS3R

Q6600 2.4 ghz

4GB KINGSTON HyperX 800MHz

GeForce® 7300GS

Raptor®, SATA 150MB (XP SP3)

SEAGATE 80GB Barracuda SATA II 300MB (Kalyway 10.5.4)

WD 160 GB IDE (spare)

Well, built my Hackintosh last night and followed instructions to the tee. When I get to using Kext Helper and installing WeakSause's kexts, it won't let me saying "We failed to login as root, check your password". I then checked Accounts in the System prefs and it says "Could not load Accounts preference pane.". Is there any other way installing these kexts without Kext helper? Thanks from a total n00b.... ;)

Well, built my Hackintosh last night and followed instructions to the tee. When I get to using Kext Helper and installing WeakSause's kexts, it won't let me saying "We failed to login as root, check your password". I then checked Accounts in the System prefs and it says "Could not load Accounts preference pane.". Is there any other way installing these kexts without Kext helper? Thanks from a total n00b.... :D

Did you:

1. Create or successfully create an account on first round of set up?

2. Did you leave the password blank?

3. Did the system freeze during the set up especially at the step "Apple ID" log in.

Somewhere along the set up a root account was not created successfully.

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t98341.html

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1441711

When you set up the account, you can bypass registration with apple by hitting CTRL +Q or ALT +Q (depends on what keyboard you use) but you have to create an account with full password and got the message " Account created successfully"

You can open a terminal windows

Enter su -m

enter your "supposedly" password

to see if leo accepted it. If it complains, you have to re-install. HEck, I learned by re-installing says 20's some times.

There are terminal commands to install the kext's but without a valid account, your Leo will run into more trouble later on anyway.

WOW. I was just considering this board (RE my last post here). If I understand this method correctly, I will be able to use this to upgrade OS X from apple? Also regards multi booting, does this method not allow OS X, XP, Linux multi booting from one hard drive?

TIA

WOW. I was just considering this board (RE my last post here). If I understand this method correctly, I will be able to use this to upgrade OS X from apple? Also regards multi booting, does this method not allow OS X, XP, Linux multi booting from one hard drive?

TIA

Supposedly, you can upgrade OS X directly from apple. I have not tried on a major update (10.5.5, not out) yet. But you can see that I installed my Leo retail, version 10.5.0 and successfully upgraded to 10.5.4 during the installation. Always back up all the modded kexts and even OS with time machine or Carbon Cloner before you do anything. Worse case, re-install the whole thing.

You can use Grub to tripple boot. [chain0, tboot, boot.gpt, boot.efi, darwin boot loader] to dual boot XP and OS X.

Thank you very much for your speedy and informative reply.

Supposedly you can upgrade OS X from apple. I have not tried on a major update (10.5.5, not out) yet. But you can see that I install my Leo retail, version 10.5.0 and successfully upgrade to 10.5.4 during the installation. Always back up all the modded kexts and even OS with time machine or Carbon Cloner before you do anything.

You can use Grub to tripple boot. [chain0, tboot, boot.gpt, boot.efi, darwin boot loader] to dual boot XP and OS X.

Did you:

You can open a terminal windows

Enter su -m

enter your "supposedly" password

to see if leo accepted it. If it complains, you have to re-install. HEck, I learned by re-installing says 20's some times.

There are terminal commands to install the kext's but without a valid account, your Leo will run into more trouble later on anyway.

I am new at this .. but isn't su disabled by default.

i created a login without passwd, I can

sudo su -m successfully but su -m fails.

Does it mean trouble ?

I am new at this .. but isn't su disabled by default.

i created a login without passwd, I can

sudo su -m successfully but su -m fails.

Does it mean trouble ?

You are right. I am sorry for that. Su super-user root must be activated first

But the point is Kext Helper must have real "password" can't be blank

Following your instructions to a tee, I have tried 6 times and each time it will not let me install the kexts due to password failure. I did set up an account and did have a accounts prefs pane but after installing the 10.5.4 combo update it gets trashed thus preventing me from using kext helper. I will try installing kexts and vanilla before the 10.5.4 combo update next, I'll report my findings.

Hello,

I encountered a problem at Step 8, Leo would not boot.

I tried a combination of things, but never could get past this message:

"/apple.Boot.plist not found"

I did not add anything to the Extra folder before burning the Boot-132 CD, could that be my problem? Or possibly an incorrect BIOS setting? (I followed weaksauce's guide; the only thing I differed on was in the Integrated Peripherals screen, in which I left Onboard IDE Controller enabled.

Also, I am attempting to install Leopard on an IDE HD, which is my test environment. Could that be a problem?

(Kalyway 10.5.4 is installed on a separate SATA HD.)

Your guidance would be welcome!