Coincidence?

Pirateo

18 posts in this topic

On my local craigslist, someone is selling the EXACT same computer as the Open Tech Home computer they have on iopentech.tk

The title is just "Custom PC" Here is what they describe the computer as and they use the same exact picture on the iopentech website:

Offering this custom built system! Intel Pentium D 945 3.40GHz Dual-Core OEM Processor

Seagate 500GB 16MB SATA-300 Hard Drive

Lite-On DH-20A4P-04 SuperAllwrite OEM DVD Burner

Ultra LS500 Lifetime Series 500W Power Supply

3 Gig Crucial PC5400 DDR2 Memory

XFX MG-610i-7059 Motherboard

PNY GeForce 8500 GT 512MB DDR2

Windows XP Home

This complete system, which will run the latest software, games, internet

music, with the ability to burn DVD's and enough storage for

- 212 two-hour DVD-quality movies or

- 750 hours of VHS-quality video or

- 440 days of around-the-clock MP3 audio or

- 186,500 vivid digital photos or

- 1066 action-packed games!

All items under manufacterer's warranty

This outragous system for $589, a price no one can touch

**Complete system is Brand New, and will be ordered with a deposit of $55

What does this mean? Could I possibly get my hands on a real Open Tech computer before it's release? I need your thoughts.

It's just a PC, an ordinary PC, really! I would say build your own or customize your own somewhere else. Get a Core 2 Duo, it runs OS X better (vanilla kernel), and Core 2 Duo is just a superior technology to Pentium D too.

It's just a PC, an ordinary PC, really! I would say build your own or customize your own somewhere else. Get a Core 2 Duo, it runs OS X better (vanilla kernel), and Core 2 Duo is just a superior technology to Pentium D too.

I know it is, but the fact that this new "clone company" Open Tech has the same exact computer for sale (coming soon) on their website with the same picture, do you think they could actually be legit? Here is the direct link to the ad: http://rockford.craigslist.org/sys/766611347.html

I just find it odd that this new Psystar clone company with no computers up on their website to buy yet, and someone is selling their EXACT computer right by me locally.

probably just another way for top companies to get rid of their old stock being intel just dropped the price on all their current d2c chips while leaving all the PD chips at full price. Also it could also be a smart marketing move on some small/mom and pop shop. They are selling the cheapest intel system possible while grabing the attention of the less then knowledgable osx wannatries that its a great deal to get into the scene.

Theres no such thing as an open tech computer, they dont manufacture anything, they only put stuff together and ship it.

Well anyone does this to some extents. Apple also. That is the reason why they changed their license from "apple hardware" to "apple labeled".

I know it is, but the fact that this new "clone company" Open Tech has the same exact computer for sale (coming soon) on their website with the same picture, do you think they could actually be legit? Here is the direct link to the ad: http://rockford.craigslist.org/sys/766611347.html

I just find it odd that this new Psystar clone company with no computers up on their website to buy yet, and someone is selling their EXACT computer right by me locally.

Northern Illinois, represent.

lol :blink:

Well anyone does this to some extents. Apple also. That is the reason why they changed their license from "apple hardware" to "apple labeled".

Ya but makers like Dell and Apple create their own branded cases and have custom motherboards exclusive to them (for instance a Dell boot screen or locked out overclocking controls, it might be petty but its exclusive). Open Tech doesnt, everything about their computers can be gotten at Newegg.

Wrong.

Foxconn makes the mobos for Dell.

HP most of their stuff is supplied by Asus, which Asus some of their stuff they use in their machines.(OEM boards for example, I had an AMD board that was used in some Asus Vantage PC, as well as an HP)

Only difference really is companies like Dell, put their logo on it, and strip some features. As for the cases, for the most part you're right. I can't say weather or not they make the cases, or if some other company does it for them, because I really don't know.

Wrong.

Foxconn makes the mobos for Dell.

HP most of their stuff is supplied by Asus, which Asus some of their stuff they use in their machines.(OEM boards for example, I had an AMD board that was used in some Asus Vantage PC, as well as an HP)

Only difference really is companies like Dell, put their logo on it, and strip some features. As for the cases, for the most part you're right. I can't say weather or not they make the cases, or if some other company does it for them, because I really don't know.

Did you read what I wrote? All you did was repeat what I said. They are customized in some way like a Dell bootscreen or some BIOS controls removed, the custom bios makes it essentially a "dell" motherboard since you can only get it from Dell. They do not ship standard motherboards that you can get on Newegg to Dell, a Dell computer qualifies as a Dell computer because its exclusive to Dell, these Open Tech computers dont have anything exclusive inside them so that disqualifies them as having their "own" computer which is what the topic is about. Anyone can make what Open Tech is selling right down to the last screw, nobody can make an exact replica of a Dell.

And does it matter who actually makes things? I could say Foxconn doesnt make motherboards since they order capacitors and chips from other companies, all Foxconn does is put them all together like Dell. You could say that for everything as far down to the raw materials being made by the earth. Everything is outsourced to other companies so you can never pin something as being totally made by one company, its silly to say "I have an Apple/Intel/Foxconn/Japan NIC/Nvidia/Realtek/Peizotronics/Fitzgerald Mining Company/Hynix/Samsung/Award Systems Inc/Topmay/etcetcetc computer"