USB 2.0 for Leopard 10.5.7

Slice

390 posts in this topic

Uh oh! I seem to have messed up my OSX installation by attempting to install this :(

First of all, I have Kalyway 10.5.2 on an Asus P5B motherboard. I was following the instructions in the first post but got an access denied error. Foolishly (I haven't a clue with these things past the basic installation, unfortunately!), I copied the original kext to the folder on my desktop manually then put the generic IOUSBfamily.kext file in the Extensions folder. It said it wasn't installed correctly, so I copied the original file back, and then it said that wasn't installed correctly either.

Long story short, after a restart no USB devices work, including my mouse and keyboard :o Presuming I can get hold of a PS/2 keyboard and mouse tomorrow, what can I do to fix it? The original IOUSBfamily.kext file is back where it should be, but needs fixing somehow (the permissions, presumably).

Many thanks!

Could this help me getting my USB ports working correctly? I've tested orByte's and didn't change anything. I'm having trouble with external disks (and my iPod too) disconnecting suddenly. I currently use a USB mouse, keyboard and headset. They work correctly most of the time but sometimes I need to reboot a few times in order to get them recognised. external drives are no-go.

Uh oh! I seem to have messed up my OSX installation by attempting to install this :(

First of all, I have Kalyway 10.5.2 on an Asus P5B motherboard. I was following the instructions in the first post but got an access denied error. Foolishly (I haven't a clue with these things past the basic installation, unfortunately!), I copied the original kext to the folder on my desktop manually then put the generic IOUSBfamily.kext file in the Extensions folder. It said it wasn't installed correctly, so I copied the original file back, and then it said that wasn't installed correctly either.

Long story short, after a restart no USB devices work, including my mouse and keyboard :D Presuming I can get hold of a PS/2 keyboard and mouse tomorrow, what can I do to fix it? The original IOUSBfamily.kext file is back where it should be, but needs fixing somehow (the permissions, presumably).

Many thanks!

It is ordinary permissions problem

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /S*/L*/E*/*

chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*/*

diskutil repairpermissions /

Could this help me getting my USB ports working correctly? I've tested orByte's and didn't change anything. I'm having trouble with external disks (and my iPod too) disconnecting suddenly. I currently use a USB mouse, keyboard and headset. They work correctly most of the time but sometimes I need to reboot a few times in order to get them recognised. external drives are no-go.

Yes, this kext may help if you try it. Instead of old by Apply or by orByte.

IOUSBFamily_328.9.0.zip

Hi everyone!

I have a slightly different problem: some of USB2.0 devices (Kingston data traveler, my friend's iPod) are shown as USB2.0 (and have USB2.0 speed) but my Nokia N73 shows up as USB 1.1 and has awfully slow transfer ;) (in windows works just fine)

Anyone knows what this is about?

Asus P5B

Intel e2140 CPU

hi mate,

can you help me with my usb. I tried your installer but no luck, so i have a sample pictures here to see what is my problem with my usb. with windows it works fine but in mac it doesn't work i tried almost all the given solution in insanelymac i hope you can help me..

Here are the photos:

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00658vj8.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00659gh3.jpg

Thank you..

hi mate,

can you help me with my usb. I tried your installer but no luck, so i have a sample pictures here to see what is my problem with my usb. with windows it works fine but in mac it doesn't work i tried almost all the given solution in insanelymac i hope you can help me..

Here are the photos:

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00658vj8.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00659gh3.jpg

Thank you..

Hi kramark,

It seems that your USB and PCCard device cannot get the correct resource or are misconfigured by BIOS. You may also want to try replace your IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily to see if it will make any difference.

For Leopard (beta3):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036

For Tiger (beta3):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81048

Chun-Nan

I Tryed the IoUSBFamily.kext linked in the first post, but my usb don't work properly.

I have 12 USB 2.0 on my motherboard (Asus P5E) but the system profiler show me this:

immagine1qg7.th.pngthpix.gif

and when i connect an hard drive to the USB standard i can use it (copy/weite file) but if i connect to a hi-speed Usb i cant copy write file, i only see the drive on desktop.

Also the firewire have the same problem.

First of all thank to orByte for the method to correct USBEHCI driver

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28559

He is disappeared making only version 303 that is not enough.

I open new topic because I can't update orByte's topic with new version.

Previous my correction USB308 works!

Now sources 315.4.1 is available at Apple's site and I can easy rewrite it by orByte's method.

This is corrected sources and my compilation. All targets can be compiled except IOUSBFamily and IOUSBLib. Use stock similar.

EDITED 03.08.08

My kexts are not tested yet so be ready to return to version 308.

After some testing dmdimoff made a more working version

IOUSBFamily.kext

including all necessory plugins.

Instructions how to install

That's all!

EDITED 19-09-2008

Apple publish 10.5.5 sources. IOUSBFamily is the same but IOUSBMassStorageClass is updated!

There is my compilation to try. If you have a problem with USB flash stick.

what am i suppoused to use to compile this zip folder into kext. havent go the PB X Bulid program in my leopard osx.

Need developer tools right ?

Hi kramark,

It seems that your USB and PCCard device cannot get the correct resource or are misconfigured by BIOS. You may also want to try replace your IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily to see if it will make any difference.

For Leopard (beta3):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036

For Tiger (beta3):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81048

Chun-Nan

Hi mate i tried this and i got a panic with my system and i can only boot with safemode then reinstall my original file to be able to boot again in normal.

Heya,well, my usb works perfect except for one thing: My Ipod Touch doesnt mount or charge if I plug it in after Ive logged in..It shows in profiler, but thats it. If I plug it in during boot it's fine.. Im running 10.5.2 Kalyway with 9.4 XNU kernel with the orig. USB files from kalyway.

Would this fix sort this or is something else messing up here?

Heya,well, my usb works perfect except for one thing: My Ipod Touch doesnt mount or charge if I plug it in after Ive logged in..It shows in profiler, but thats it. If I plug it in during boot it's fine.. Im running 10.5.2 Kalyway with 9.4 XNU kernel with the orig. USB files from kalyway.

Would this fix sort this or is something else messing up here?

Be sure that versions of kernel and system.kext are the same.

Slice:

Can i just replace the Vanilla AppleUSBEHCI.kext with the hacked one? Meaning, i wont install the whole IOUSBFamily.kext & the plugins.

Yes, it is ordinary practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm kinda new to all this.

This is my second time installing OS X on my Dell Inspiron 9400 and my USB will not work.

Here is what my system profiler says:

20081017-ptwmm387b9k6ehgub37rt12m71.jpg

Now I'm not familiar with USB legacy in the BIOS and that might be my problem. I was thinking of following the instructions on mchackleth and installing the IOUSB family kext but I thought I should ask first. Does anyone know what my solution could be?

I downloaded the 10.5.5 source code from 19/9 in the first post, opened the project file in xcode, hit the build button and it terminated with more than 400 errors and no compiled kexts anywhere and then I didn't know what to do next. It's been downloaded more than 1000 times and I don't see 1000 posts like mine here so I must be doing something wrong. :P lol

But the IOUSBFamily.kext from dmdimoff/on works great, I can now use my flash drive again.

I've installed it along with the 19/9 IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.

Before, the flash drive would appear in system profiler but not in disk utility, so I couldn't mount it.

After installing this, system profiler says that my USB controller is in an expansion slot (I have ICH5).

btw, legacy USB has always been set to 'auto' in my BIOS and I've never had any trouble using any USB devices before. It's still at 'auto'.

I downloaded the 10.5.5 source code from 19/9 in the first post, opened the project file in xcode, hit the build button and it terminated with more than 400 errors and no compiled kexts anywhere and then I didn't know what to do next. It's been downloaded more than 1000 times and I don't see 1000 posts like mine here so I must be doing something wrong. ;) lol

I forget to say that from those sources I can build only targets EHCI, OHCI and UHCI. All others give me many errors.

dmdimoff overrun that but other compiled targets seems to be not very good.

The good combination is

IOUSBFamily from Apple + patched EHCI, OHCI, UHCI.

Without PCGenEHCI ;)

IOUSBMassStorage is another story. Sources from Apple contains simple programmer's mistakes that I correct.

Hi guys!

I hope you can help me, i've tried everything possible told here but i still can't get my usb drives work!

Here are my specs:

Laptop: Asus A6T

Leopard version: Zephyroth 10.5.2 upgraded to 10.5.4

Kernel: Darwin 9.2.0

When i boot without any usb drive attached i get this:

USBF:	1.823	AppleUSBEHCI[0x26b8800]::UIMInitialize - could not get chip to halt within 100 ms
USBF:	1.823	AppleUSBEHCI[0x26b8800]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002c9)
USBF:	2.229	AppleUSBEHCI[0x26b8800]::UIMFinalize - could not get chip to halt within 100 ms
USBF:	2.229	AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM
USBF:	6.  5	AppleUSBOHCI[0x259c800]::CheckSleepCapability - OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

And after it boots there is no way to make it detect the usb drive (even on System Profiler).

But it correctly detects and makes work perfectly my usb mouse. This is what i get from System Profiler:

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location:	Expansion Slot
 Host Controller Driver:	AppleUSBOHCI
 PCI Device ID:	0x026d
 PCI Revision ID:	0x00a3
 PCI Vendor ID:	0x10de
 Bus Number:	0x0b

When i boot with an usb drive the boot freezes here:

USBF:	0.658	Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
USBF:	0.661	USBLEGCTLSTS value c0002000
USBF:	0.665	EHCI - Ownership conflict - attempting soft reset ...
USBF:	0.669	EHCI - toggle OS Ownership to 0

In the BIOS i can't touch anything about USB, there are no USB-related entries.

I hope you can help me because i don't know what else i can try!

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...