USB 2.0 for Leopard 10.5.7

Slice

390 posts in this topic

I have the same problem as mhacleth above.

Running 10.5.2 on a Dell Dimension E510, drive appears in system profile, doesn't mount. All drives, USB keyboard/mouse work though fine. Just gotta reinstlal PCGen everytime to get it to work and mount, very strange.

Such strange behaviour may be related to IOPCIFamily.kext. Try new one.

ok after some testing it looks like you need only this:

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

to

get rid of "EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS" error

make all USB ports running

and in some cases get restart/shutdown working

tnx cvad for cleaning situation

Finally a true fix! This kext worked perfectly all USB's recognized and mount anything plugged in. Thank you very much, it has been a bumpy ride but now its smooth sailing from here.

Only thing I need now is to know what wireless card to buy so I can geet wireless working. Any suggestions would be great.

Also if some has a sleep fix for iatkos 2.0.

Thanks again!

So one should just have to copy the IOUSB ktext into their Extensions folder and it will work? What is the proper way to copy this folder, because the last time I tried, it said it wasn't installed right. I believe it had to do with permission issues.

Slice, et al,

Have you tried filing a bug report or sofware enhancement request?

I wonder what anyone's experience with this has been...

You means to inform Apple about the bug we corrected?

I think this is a difference between Mac and Hack so Apple doesn't need the enhancement.

So one should just have to copy the IOUSB ktext into their Extensions folder and it will work? What is the proper way to copy this folder, because the last time I tried, it said it wasn't installed right. I believe it had to do with permission issues.

Yes, this is ordinary permission issue.

I write usually instructions to topic.

hi all!

i need some help here...

i installed the kext from this file USB3.15.4.1.zip from the previous page and now my usb devices can't be detected in system profiler... what should i do?

im using 10.5.1 amd

ok thanks, now i have a new problem

3 kext files are not loading... so ihave to do this everytime

kextload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite;

kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver;

kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass

i already tried lingon and set it to startup automatically, but its not working...

i created a shell script to run after logging own

is there anyway to automatically load it at startup?

thanks in advance

Hi !

Wouldn't you help me with my problems. I have Asus F3Tc Notebook and my USB controllers are:

USB1 Controller: nVidia nForce 430 (MCP51) - OHCI USB 1.1

USB2 Controller: nVidia nForce 430 (MCP51) - EHCI USB 2.0

MotherBoard: Asus F3000T Series Notebook

Motherboard chipset: nVidia GeForce Go 6100, AMD Hammer

I have only my USB mouse working. Other devices (Flash Drives, iPhone) are not shown even in System profiler.

I tried all of your packages but still no luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I also need some help with this. I have a Dell D600 which I installed 10.5.2 from the Kalyway DVD and then upgraded to 10.5.3 because I want to do iPhone app development. Ever since installing i've had two issues. One is that connecting either my Sandisk 4GB pen drive to the USB port crashes the machine, as does my Freecom 60GB external hard disk. Sometimes if I have these attached before I power on, I can access them! I've tried switching the USB Legacy support in the BIOS and it only seems to disable the ability to boot and detect devices when it's switched on.

I tried the instructions in your first post, downloaded and copied the 315 files to the Extensions folder and rebooted. Everytime I connect anything via USB the system crashes.

My system.log shows.

yeagers-mac-pro:PlugIns yeager$ sudo dmesg | grep -i USB
Password:
USBF:	0.900	Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
USBF:	0.900	USBLEGCTLSTS value c0000000
USBF:	0.900	EHCI - Ownership conflict - attempting soft reset ...
USBF:	0.900	EHCI - toggle OS Ownership to 0
USBF:	1.423	Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1000001 - writing OSOwned
USBF:	1.423	acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001
Debug driver registered: AppleUSBUHCI

System Profiler has 3 USB Bus devices

Host Controller Location:	Expansion Slot
 Host Controller Driver:	AppleUSBUHCI
 PCI Device ID:	0x24c2
 PCI Revision ID:	0x0001
 PCI Vendor ID:	0x8086
 Bus Number:	0x1d

and one USB High-Speed Bus

Host Controller Location:	Expansion Slot
 Host Controller Driver:	AppleUSBEHCI
 PCI Device ID:	0x24cd
 PCI Revision ID:	0x0001
 PCI Vendor ID:	0x8086
 Bus Number:	0xfd

Any ideas on why the system crashes as soon as a USB device is attached or how I might be able to debug this further?

I actually just added a USB mouse and that is recognized in the System Profiler as being connected, yet the mouse doesn't actually work :rolleyes: I tried two mice that I know do work, and the same results... however, the system didn't crash like it does when I attach a USB storage device. Doing to try switching over the legacy USB options...

Rebooted with the USB Legacy support disabled. Now the mouse worked (because I had it connected at boot time) and plugging in my USB Key doesn't crash the machine, but it doesn't get mounted either. Looking at the System Profiler and it shows a "U3 Cruzer Micro" as being connected...

Amazing... rebooted and now it all works, detects two USB keys as well as my external drive. What on earth that was all about I do not know!

Final comment on this... If my USB mouse and USB thumb drive are connected at boot time, then I can remove the thumb drive and connect the external IDE drive. Yet if nothing is connected at boot time, the system crashes when I connect either the mouse or USB storage devices...

So it's not perfect, I can live with making sure these things are connected during boot, but something is definitely not working correctly. I'm will to provide access/diagnostics if you want to continue troubleshooting.

I have the same problem as mhacleth above.

Running 10.5.2 on a Dell Dimension E510, drive appears in system profile, doesn't mount. All drives, USB keyboard/mouse work though fine. Just gotta reinstlal PCGen everytime to get it to work and mount, very strange.

This is usually a mismatch between the kernel version and the system kext version. Also, you probably don't need PCGen.

Read this thread, there is also a link to a package that can help fix your problem: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

I installed the dmdimoff version on a 10.5.4 install done from a retail dvd (via boot-132).

With certain USB 2.0 hard disk enclosures pluged in, when you shutdown the machine would lock up.

This package solved it. ;)

Is the plugins directory from dmdimoff's IOUSBFamily all that is needed?

hi guys, i've done the instructions in the first post. in the system preferences, i can see both ipod and printer (hp psc 1310), but leopard doesn't mount them. think i don't overwrite the IOUSBFamily.kext, but i'm new in the osx86 (since yesterday) and don't know how to do it.

anyone with some patience to help me? not mount my ipod sucks and i don't wanna go back to Win... i'm loving the leopard.

p.s. if helps, my leopard version is 10.5.4 iATKOS 4i with everything working.

my pc:

intel desktop perl d865

p4 prescott 2,4ghz

mouse and key PS2

geforce fx5200

realtek 8139

Download IOUSBFamily.kext.zip to desktop

Double click to unzip

Enter terminal

sudo -s

mkdir ~/Desktop/Off

mv -v /S*/L*/E*/IOUSBF* ~/Desktop/Off

cp -r -v ~/Desktop/IOUSBF* /S*/L*/E*/

rm -v /S*/L*/E*.ke*

rm -v /S*/L*/E*.mke*

diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

Does OSx86Tools do this if u use it to install ? Or say Kexthelper ?

I`m thinking it does, but not 100%. All we`re doing here is copying the files and repairing permissions aren`t we ?

(just asking)

Hi all,

could anyone explain me how to install the IOUSBFamily.kext that I downloaded?

I'm using 10.5.3 on VMWARE WS 6.5, and I have the usb devices under System Profile, but nothing mounts.

Thanks for helping

PM

Hi all,

could anyone explain me how to install the IOUSBFamily.kext that I downloaded?

I'm using 10.5.3 on VMWARE WS 6.5, and I have the usb devices under System Profile, but nothing mounts.

Thanks for helping

PM

I found in the System/Library/Extensions the two following dir:

IOUSBFamily.kext and the IOUSBFamily.kext.orig (I use the Jas 1.5.3).

I backuped the IOUSBFamily.kext

I did sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext

I then replaced it with the one found in this forum (place on the desktop):

mv /Users/pm/desktop /System/Library/Extensions/

I rebooted after some reboots (5/6) I did come back in the OS. But I had a pop-up saying that the Extension was not installed properly.

I did then come back with the backuped kext. (at that time, even if I had the pop up, the USB mouse was working)

and then I rebooted.

Now, I still have the pop up, and the mouse is not working any more. so it make it impossible doing something in the OS.

Can somebody help me to come back to a working version? I guess I will need to do something in shell mode when booting?

Really thanks if somebody can help me. I cannot do nothing more with my OSX.

PM

I found in the System/Library/Extensions the two following dir:

IOUSBFamily.kext and the IOUSBFamily.kext.orig (I use the Jas 1.5.3).

I backuped the IOUSBFamily.kext

I did sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext

I then replaced it with the one found in this forum (place on the desktop):

mv /Users/pm/desktop /System/Library/Extensions/

I rebooted after some reboots (5/6) I did come back in the OS. But I had a pop-up saying that the Extension was not installed properly.

I did then come back with the backuped kext. (at that time, even if I had the pop up, the USB mouse was working)

and then I rebooted.

Now, I still have the pop up, and the mouse is not working any more. so it make it impossible doing something in the OS.

Can somebody help me to come back to a working version? I guess I will need to do something in shell mode when booting?

Really thanks if somebody can help me. I cannot do nothing more with my OSX.

PM

I'm Now able to boot (using -f -v).

It seems that the USB pb is due to vmware.

any idea from anyone of you?