Getting rid of the "Real Life," etc, forums.

67 posts in this topic

Meh.. you can strike me down for saying this, i really dont care..

but this place really used to feel like a community/family up until the OSx86 Project -> InsanelyMac switch. Once it switched over, it just began to feel more and more corporate until it eventually lost that old "family" or w/e feeling it once had.. back in the days when this place was blue, silver, and white, Mashugly was "the man", deadmoo was badass, and only us lucky ones with GMA900 had supported gfx... now we're just a place for users to rant/rave about their problems, hardware, software, etc... that whole feeling/atmosphere is just gone... I really miss the old days.. :(

I was going to eventually say the same thing. We need that sense of community back, I miss the old InsanelyMac, we need it back for our sake. I remember the days that Colonel speaks of, it feels like 10,000 years ago. :(

It was bound to happen, my friends. A forum with 227,174 registered members can't keep a "family" feeling.

What annoys me most is the arrogance of some n00bs: I can stand if they are "silly", but not if they are arrogant.

What happened to the old netiquette: respect senior members?

It was bound to happen, my friends. A forum with 227,174 registered members can't keep a "family" feeling.

What annoys me most is the arrogance of some n00bs: I can stand if they are "silly", but not if they are arrogant.

What happened to the old netiquette: respect senior members?

It could if the members did respect eachother. Here, like you said, the people that don't know anything are arrogant and the people that know a lot can be arrogant too. It's that attitude, I dunno, but sometimes it really steams me. I remember asking for help in a thread and somebody raging out OMG NUBZ0R FAIL.... and when I tried to help somebody they also reacted in the same way lashing out. I dunno, if it gets worse I might just leave this place and resort to my own forums. :)

Sorry guys, but do something before it's too late, there is still hope. :)

If this was gone I don't think I'd be at InsanelyMac at all really (aside from posting OSx86 news on the front page). I have a working OSx86 install, when any update comes out I can find guides and solutions without posting (same goes for new releases/installation methods). Helping people out gets old fast as its the same issues over and over that 90+% of the time have solutions on this forum. Once you know OSx86, it becomes like any OS and you can diagnose the issue instantly and with a community this large solutions aren't hard to come by. My point here is that once you have your install, there really is nothing to post about, and no reason to be involved in the commuinity.

Listen guys, don't get me wrong, I love contributing to this place as do many others. But it just lost that, you know, vibe. It's just like those words the wine tasters use when they try to explain how it taste but at the end it doesn't tell you anything. You're never going to know what it is until you've tried it. Older members like Alessandro17, erei33, rollcage, myself, and some others have "sipped" that proverbial wine, but our newer members haven't, and I strongly believe that's why. If you aren't taught how to act you won't, it's a simple variable.

Helping people out gets old fast as its the same issues over and over that 90+% of the time have solutions on this forum. Once you know OSx86, it becomes like any OS and you can diagnose the issue instantly and with a community this large solutions aren't hard to come by. My point here is that once you have your install, there really is nothing to post about, and no reason to be involved in the commuinity.

How true. That is why you need to be able to post about other issues, and possibly some other motivation to stay involved. For instance senior members are asked to become moderators in other forums. Here it doesn't happen and, if anything, is the junior members who become mods, quite often.

Older members like Alessandro17, erei33, rollcage, myself, and some others have "sipped" that proverbial wine, but our newer members haven't, and I strongly believe that's why. If you aren't taught how to act you won't, it's a simple variable.

I believe this forum began to go down the slippery slope the day Swad decided to sell it (and probably he had it in mind long before announcing it).

Older members like Alessandro17, erei33, rollcage, myself, and some others have "sipped" that proverbial wine, but our newer members haven't,

Join date is April 07 :P According to others I've missed the golden age, but I still like the forum and it was good when I joined. Last summer I had a blast with it.

but this place really used to feel like a community/family up until the OSx86 Project -> InsanelyMac switch.

Apple has a lot of fans, and an Apple fan site generates a lot more hits and revenue than some off the wall project people have never heard of. If you guys have taken a look at the new site design, there are a lot more ads.

insanelysellouthr5.jpg

The current Front Page is a lot cleaner and only has one tiny non intrusive Google ad. While I prefer dark themes for forums, with things near black the ads really scream at you. I have no ill will against Fubra and understand that they operate this site for a profit. In fact I'm appreciative that they fixed the search function :D . However if this site was run by an OSx86 enthusiast, it would be loads better. OSx86 first, Apple and iPhone and all that {censored} second. InsanelyMac could be the place for OSx86 developers and guides. As mentioned by Krazubu, (btw had to edit link because god forbid you post to a competitor! Cooperation has never gotten this project anywhere :) ) http://chameleon.osx86.hu/ could have been at InsanelyMac! Theres really been a ton of missed opportunity involved with this site.

Join date is April 07 :) According to others I've missed the golden age, but I still like the forum and it was good when I joined. Last summer I had a blast with it.

Apple has a lot of fans, and an Apple fan site generates a lot more hits and revenue than some off the wall project people have never heard of. If you guys have taken a look at the new site design, there are a lot more ads.

insanelysellouthr5.jpg

The current Front Page is a lot cleaner and only has one tiny non intrusive Google ad. While I prefer dark themes for forums, with things near black the ads really scream at you. I have no ill will against Fubra and understand that they operate this site for a profit. In fact I'm appreciative that they fixed the search function :( . However if this site was run by an OSx86 enthusiast, it would be loads better. OSx86 first, Apple and iPhone and all that {censored} second. InsanelyMac could be the place for OSx86 developers and guides. As mentioned by Krazubu, (btw had to edit link because god forbid you post to a competitor! Cooperation has never gotten this project anywhere :censored2: ) http://chameleon.osx86.hu/ could have been at InsanelyMac! Theres really been a ton of missed opportunity involved with this site.

Agreed 100%.

IM could get a subforum which would be more private, love that idea, rollcage.

IM could get a subforum which would be more private, love that idea, rollcage.

IMO it would be a good idiot filter. We should make a forum with the requirement of 3/4 stars and 1,000 posts and higher. Like that senior members can enjoy proper conversations without having JonTheSavage type flamewars. Like that we're all happy, let's keep the idiots in a ring and the intelligent people in another. It's just a bad thing when people that have a proper point prove it and the others flame you because their point was wrong. :P

The only doubt I have about that suggestion is that post count alone doesn't mean a lot. We have had a few people who posted like mad, but they remained n00bs, basically. The most (in)famous example was Ramm (and a few more).

I think this forum has a great community. Which is one of the reasons I am here quite a lot and try to keep an open mind.

The one thing that really "grinds my gears" though is when people will not even listen to your side of an argument or cant accept that people do things differently to them.

I dont think a special forum just for a select few would help as this way you can not have a proper debate or see things from everyone perspective.

I would ban people from the forums that they misbehave (ignorance, threats, flamewars and provocation) in and not let them back in until they have showed they have improved their behavior on the rest of the board. Get banned from another forum and your out.

I would ban people from the forums that they misbehave (ignorance, threats, flamewars and provocation) in and not let them back in until they have showed they have improved their behavior on the rest of the board. Get banned from another forum and your out.

That is possibly a good idea. But then JonTheSavage only posts in Real Life, for instance.

The only doubt I have about that suggestion is that post count alone doesn't mean a lot. We have had a few people who posted like mad, but they remained n00bs, basically. The most (in)famous example was Ramm (and a few more).

Er...would I be included in the group of people that post a lot but remain n00bs? :(

Then issue warnings. I sure as heck would if I could.

under xcode 3.0, apple is the best,

i know that i am fake, i post a fake topics no-one reply, admins wont give me permission to post, this is why i am logged in as badboy0033, a classic nickname d'ont remember puffDaddy!

When you are banned or your posting privileges revoked, like SticMAN, the worst is there is then no way in hell you are able to defend yourself!

I'm sure the "info@insanelymac.com" button on the frontpage returns a mail error so then you are not able to request a reconsideration or request lifting of the ban!

Also be glad they don't ban your router's MAC address and you are sharing it as a community Router, this pisses of at least 9 people at any given time!

Groot Koos

under xcode 3.0, apple is the best,

i know that i am fake, i post a fake topics no-one reply, admins wont give me permission to post, this is why i am logged in as badboy0033, a classic nickname d'ont remember puffDaddy!

When you are banned or your posting privileges revoked, like SticMAN, the worst is there is then no way in hell you are able to defend yourself!

I'm sure the "info@insanelymac.com" button on the frontpage returns a mail error so then you are not able to request a reconsideration or request lifting of the ban!

Also be glad they don't ban your router's MAC address and you are sharing it as a community Router, this pisses of at least 9 people at any given time!

Groot Koos

you think if i was a Donator, or have a sexy-girl avatar!!!! will i-be banned;

mony is GOD, we love mony do anything for it, i ask you a question?

1.when you are hungry, eat your mony, why buying a ham-burger on F_-buy?

2.thanKs?