UnOfficial Dell Inspiron 6000 Thread

JacobMarley

139 posts in this topic

I have pretty much everything working except my wireless :whistle:.

the mouse artifacts are VERY annoying. Mouse Locator is a peice of junk, it's almost worse then mouse tearing, since it slows down all the animations, makes the mouse less accurate, and the mouse flickers like mad.

does ANYONE know of a better solution rather then Mouse Locator????

also, I got my video card working with QE/CI/Q2D first try, native resolution etc. I'm not sure the fonts are anti-aliasing right, but I'll figure that out later.

feel free to PM me if you have a better solution for mouse artifacts then mousepose and mouse locator.

thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. I've a problem with my dell insp 6000... After I've installed Jas 10.4.7 Mac OS X, my lap does work perfectly! but I've a wide screen 1280x800 and resolution at 1024x768... What can I do for solve this problem? I've tried with the post ATI work, but after my mac os crashed.....booooooooh!!! :):(:( Thx!

make sure when you install 10.4.7 not to check radeon mobility support in the customize section of jas release.if you check that callisto won't work and that's the drive you need for native screen support.

there is a work around if you don't wnat to reinsatll if you checked that option but don't ask me where i found it. you have to replace some framework files i think.

my inspiron 6000 is working very good with x300

i just would like to have sleep mode then it would be nearly perfect.

did any of you guys get aperture to work? if i apply an effect to a photo it tries to reload the photo and thats where it sops working....

• 4 weeks later...

I've got it working on my 6000.

2ghz, 1gb RAM, x300, bluetooth and 2915abg (nonworking).

I'm working on getting my screen resolution to the native 1680x1050, but I'm having some troubles.

From my first install (Jas 10.4.6) I checked Radeon support, and couldn't get Callisto to work. I even tried to get my EDID and follow that bit of it, but in Vista MAM wouldn't give me the full 128-byte EDID (not sure if it will in XP either).

I'm reinstalling without Radeon support to see if Callisto will work. If it does then I'll try upgrading to 10.4.8.

For those of you using Callisto, did you have to get your EDID for Callisto.kext, or did you just put 5B60 for the device ID in CallistoHAL.kext? Did you include Radeon support, or not?

I'll be sure to follow up with whatever I come up with.

You don't need to get edid. just edit 5b60

but make sure to use koverg before installing callisto

and change the framebuffer to callisto to get your qe/ci working

then you have nearly perfect display working (just some mouse tearing and except for dual screen support)

we should check out the new natit driver which is in development

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of download JaS.SSE2.SSE3.AMD.Intel DVD (and the patch for it) and I will let you know what happens after it gets done. This will be the first time I have really tried to use a newer system than 10.4.5, so this should be interesting. My 6000 specs for reference:

SigmaTel Audio (Same as everyone else, I believe)

ATI Radeon x300 128MB

1280x800 resolution LCD screen

512Mb Memory

1.6GHz Pentium M (SSE2) Processor

60GB Hard Drive (split 30GB/30GB)

Was dual booting 10.4.5 with chain0 before I wiped it off my system

2200 Wireless (Driver is being worked on, it detects as an Airport, but scanning fails and it won't connect)

I did try 10.4.6 once, but I has garbled graphics when I tried the koverg patch. Replacing the OpenGL frameworks with the 10.4.5 ones worked, but caused all OpenGL, Quartz, and Core stuff to crash instantly. I am hoping this new release works better.

I installed 10.4.8 SSE2.SSE3 release (patched with official JaS patch) and it installed fine. I have Audio out of the box. I do not have built-in Ethernet anymore, which is very odd. In verbose mode it throws a complaint about not being able to load a kext though, so that may be my problem. I used the koverg patch t get Quartz/CI working, but after adding Callisto to the mix, it gave me resolutions, but when I switched to 1280x800 it gave me a black screen. I have not been able to get it out of that yet, so I think I am going to wipe and reinstall again (didn't take that long) and use the koverg-callisto All in one patch in the morning. For tonight, I am tired and ready to go to bed. So far besides that, it is looking good.

Ok, the final result for now with instructions:

I DLed the AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 Jas Release off of torrent and then I DLed the patch (690MB). I patched the DVD image after extracting it from RAR files and then verified MD5 checksum. It checked out so I burned it at 4x onto a blank DVD-R I had laying by the computer desk (brand unknown, I would have to check). I used Partition Magic (could also use GParted) to resize my C drive (Windows drive) and leave some unpartitioned space. Then I used diskpart to create a primary partition id=af and set it as active. I put in the Jas 10.4.8 DVD and rebooted. Nothing special about the boot, didn't even need -v, though just watching it spin for 5 minutes gets boring. As far as options, I choose the Intel Patches, Sigmatel Audio, Azalia Audio (I didn't know which was needed so I picked both) and that was just about it. After installing I had low level unacelerated graphics support and 1024x768 resolution, but sound did work as did my USB ports. So, first thing was to get graphics working. I started by performing the koverg patch (since I have a Radeon x300) and using the command in the terminal method, I patched the files and then used Text Edit to change the value in the ATIRadeon9700.kext like the instructions said. I chown and chmod the files I modded and rebooted. I had 1024x768 resolution with graphics support (still with mouse tearing, but I figured that was gonna happen). Now to get my native resolution working at 1280x800. This is take II actually because this is where I screwed up the first time. Callisto 003 did not work (it gave me resolutions but upon switching resolutions the screen went blank). Callisto 008 just gave me a totally black screen period at any resolution. I ended up using Callisto 005 and it gave me resolutions that worked and didn't blank out the screen and I still had 3D graphics support (I followed the guide to getting Callisto and koverg to work together on the forums). So at this point I have Quartz and Core Image at 1280x800 on the Inspron 6000 running 10.4.8. I ran Photoshop CS3 and it is nice and fast. iLife 06 works well (though GarageBand eats my CPU sometimes). Keynote 06 runs well, but after you do a presentation, the mouse is a line or broken pixels across the screen that you have to reboot to fix it (this is the same behavior as 104.4. on this same laptop). I have not tried Frontrow yet, though it should be easy with the mouse hack.

Now for the section of stuff that doesn't work (yet):

So I went to plug in an ethernet cable for internet and go to the Networking preferences and not a single ethernet port is listed. I found this to be very odd because it worked just fine in 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 when I had then running (10.4.6 gave me fits so it was very short lived, but it did happen.) I started up in verbose mode and it is complaining about dependencies on an Apple Broadcom networking kext, almost like the networking kext is PPC and not Universal or Intel. So I may try to replace it down the line with the same file from 10.4.5 (it worked the best) and see if I can't get it to work again.

Also, no dice for the Wireless internet. I have the Intel 2200BG wireless card and it doesn't have a driver. Although there is a thread on this board that someone is porting the linux driver. So far they have gotten the card to show up as an airport device and search for networks, but when it finds one, it can't seem to connect to it yes. So when you manually try to connect, it causes a kernel panic. So it is getting there. To get around this, I took a spare wireless USB adapter I had laying around that uses a ZyDAS chipset and DLed the drivers off the net (they are universal). It works just fine for me and it gets me internet without problems.

Also, though I have accelerated graphics, dual monitor will not work. It doesn't detect anything on the VGA port, but if I use the function key on the laptop I can kick it into mirrored mode which seems to work just fine.

Overall it seems very useable and is fairly speedy considering its speed compared to a Core Duo machine. Another interesting quirk is that it comes with iTunes 7 and even though my processor is SSE2, it runs iTunes 7 just fine (before I had the memory error). And it is fast, so I am pretty sure its not running in rosetta, so something must be fixed in the newest semthex kernel. I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a complete Mac n00b and I successfully installed 10.4.8! Woo! Let this be used as a newbie guide for installing osx on a inspiron 6000.

After a day-long JaS AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 iso download and a night's worth of figuring out how OS X works, I got my Inspiron 6000 running beautifully on a Dual Boot Windows XP and OS X. :unsure:

Method: http://dilnalomo.googlepages.com/xposx01

Great guide with pictures. Uses Acronis Disk Director Suite 10, which comes with an OS Selector.

Processor: 1.5 GHz Intel Pentium M (SSE2)

Memory: 512 MB 400 MHz DDR

Hard Disk: 80GB hard drive, ~60GB for Windows Partition, ~20GB for OS X Partition

Audio: SigmaTel

Ethernet: Broadcom 440x

Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 2915abg

Install ran very smoothly. I used the included patches that I needed (I think I only used the Audio patch and the SSE2/SSE3 patch).

I was scared to DEATH after the install, because apparently the boot records were changed and Darwin became the OS selector, only it automatically booted OS X every time. The fix is to press F8, which will allow you to choose which OS you want again. Loading Windows will do something to allow Acronis to be the default OS Selector again, which I happen to like.

OS X initally loads at 1024x768, but my monitor's resolution is 1280x800. I used the Katana installer to install the Callisto drivers. Read the README! After install you have to do some stuff in the Terminal (Mac Disk>Applications>Utilities>Terminal).

On the first loads, a bunch of "This kext was installed improperly" errors come up. The fix is to write down all of the kexts that had errors, then to go into the Terminal and type these lines

sudo cp -R /Users/<your_user_name>/Desktop/<your_kext.kext> /System/Library/Extensions
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel ./<your_kext.kext>
sudo chmod -R 755 ./<your_kext.kext>

After this, my ethernet card worked perfectly, as did my audio drivers.

For wireless internet, I installed the iwi2200 driver, but it's kind of useless to me at this point because I live in an apartment complex and require a closed network, and the driver only works on open networks. Regardless, OS X recognises the network card. They seem to be making good progress on this driver, so I'm checking its status regularly.

I also made sure to go to the keyboard mapper in OS X and switch the alt and command keys so that the windows key is now the command key and the alt key is the option key.

Just for anyone thinking about doing this, the performance is excellent. It runs just as fast as Windows XP. I currently have Adobe Creative Suite 2 installed which works like a charm now. Good luck!

Edited by Barretron

I am a complete Mac n00b and I successfully installed 10.4.8! Woo! Let this be used as a newbie guide for installing osx on a inspiron 6000.

After a day-long JaS AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 iso download and a night's worth of figuring out how OS X works, I got my Inspiron 6000 running beautifully on a Dual Boot Windows XP and OS X. :thumbsup_anim:

Method: http://dilnalomo.googlepages.com/xposx01

Great guide with pictures. Uses Acronis Disk Director Suite 10, which comes with an OS Selector.

Processor: 1.5 GHz Intel Pentium M (SSE2)

Memory: 512 MB 400 MHz DDR

Hard Disk: 80GB hard drive, ~60GB for Windows Partition, ~20GB for OS X Partition

Audio: SigmaTel

Ethernet: Broadcom 440x

Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 2915abg

Install ran very smoothly. I used the included patches that I needed (I think I only used the Audio patch and the SSE2/SSE3 patch).

I was scared to DEATH after the install, because apparently the boot records were changed and Darwin became the OS selector, only it automatically booted OS X every time. The fix is to press F8, which will allow you to choose which OS you want again. Loading Windows will do something to allow Acronis to be the default OS Selector again, which I happen to like.

OS X initally loads at 1024x768, but my monitor's resolution is 1280x800. I used the Katana installer to install the Callisto drivers. Read the README! After install you have to do some stuff in the Terminal (Mac Disk>Applications>Utilities>Terminal).

On the first loads, a bunch of "This kext was installed improperly" errors come up. The fix is to write down all of the kexts that had errors, then to go into the Terminal and type these lines

sudo cp -R /Users/<your_user_name>/Desktop/<your_kext.kext> /System/Library/Extensions
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel ./<your_kext.kext>
sudo chmod -R 755 ./<your_kext.kext>

After this, my ethernet card worked perfectly, as did my audio drivers.

For wireless internet, I installed the iwi2200 driver, but it's kind of useless to me at this point because I live in an apartment complex and require a closed network, and the driver only works on open networks. Regardless, OS X recognises the network card. They seem to be making good progress on this driver, so I'm checking its status regularly.

I also made sure to go to the keyboard mapper in OS X and switch the alt and command keys so that the windows key is now the command key and the alt key is the option key.

Just for anyone thinking about doing this, the performance is excellent. It runs just as fast as Windows XP. I currently have Adobe Creative Suite 2 installed which works like a charm now. Good luck!

Just a quick question.. I'm thinking about doing this later this week. Were you able to get QI/CE working with the X300?

Just a quick question.. I'm thinking about doing this later this week. Were you able to get QI/CE working with the X300?

No, but in all honesty I didn't even think to try it. After all of the issues people seem to have with the ATI hack I didn't even bother. I'll try out the driver tonight.

Regardless, the system works really well as is.

hi!

i am still running 10.4.6 for a really long time now, and also want to step over to .8 and was thinking about running it with a clean install.

right now though everything is working perfect, well almost, sound starts crackling once in a while.

i am most intrested to find out if someone has got native res / qe/ci/ogl working perfect.

i replaced my wlan card with a dell trumobile 1450 minipci, works better than perfect with .6 .

also if someone has experiences with vista on this laptop i am intrested, i will run it dualboot...

cheers,

:(

G

bah, nevermind, i just reinstalled. hours of customization down the drain :whistle: . oh well. such is life.

i got qe/ci working, but my resolution is stuck and doesn't respond to changing the com.apple.Boot.plist file. 1024x768 doesn't look nice on a 1280x800 native. sigh.

EDIT

I got it working! For anyone with a x300 mobility radeon card, use the all-in-one display adapter, load it up with sudo ./builddoe.sh 54 60

then use ./doe.sh cal3 0x0x0 1 1

THEN

3. manually edit the /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Content/MacOS/Info.plist. Replace 5B60 with your device id

Example:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x4E441002 0x41441002 0x4E481002 0x41481002 0x41501002 0x4E501002 0x41521002 0x4E541002 0x4A481002 0x4A491002 0x4A4A1002 0x4A4B1002 0x4A4C1002 0x4A4D1002 0x4A4E1002 *0x5E4B1002* 0x5B621002 0x3E501002 0x4E561002 0x5B641002 0x3E541002</string>

The asterisk (*) is only meant to emphasize the change, do not enter them.

For edit /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist use:

In a Terminal

sudo nano -w /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist

then Ctrl + O to save the changes AND Ctrl + X to Exit

4. Remove kextcache

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

for some reason, the all-in-one patch messes up this key and just enters 0x54 instead of 0x54601002. fix that, reboot, change the resolution, and you should have qe/ci.

your mileage, however, may vary.

good luck

Edited by Barretron

Hello,

is JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 the correct one to download (3.71gb)?

where can i get the patch, or is it included in this version of 10.4.8? is there a 10.4.8 version that has it all and, if so, where do i get it (torrent file please?)

thanks.

yup, that's the one i used. no need to download a patch for it, just make sure that when you install you go to customize and select the jas.sse2.sse3.intel patch to install, along with the sigmatel audio driver. when you finish the install, osx will {censored} at you about the audio driver, but all you have to do is chown chmod and kextload it again.

you can find the torrent file yourself. it's really a google search away and every major torrent site lists it. don't be lazy.

Edited by Barretron

yup, that's the one i used. no need to download a patch for it, just make sure that when you install you go to customize and select the jas.sse2.sse3.intel patch to install, along with the sigmatel audio driver. when you finish the install, osx will {censored} at you about the audio driver, but all you have to do is chown chmod and kextload it again.

you can find the torrent file yourself. it's really a google search away and every major torrent site lists it. don't be lazy.

ok, i will try that. thanks.

what's "chown chmod and kextload it again"?

does this mean repair permissions and apply the patcher?

And now that I've got it all working, I'll keep with tradition.

XBench Score: 56.82

Not bad, eh?

rainman2006, check my first post with the code section. I don't think I put the kextload command in there, but it's

sudo kextload ./<your_kext.kext>

i'm not sure if you're supposed to put -R after kextload. experiment and find out.