UnOfficial Dell Inspiron 6000 Thread

JacobMarley

139 posts in this topic

Just got my 6000 online with 10.4.6 tonight. My hardware is:

Pentium-M 1.73

Integrated Graphics - 915GM

1GB Ram

Dell 1370 Wireless w/ Bluetooth

After realizing I needed an external monitor plugged in to get past the blue screen during installation, it went by fine. Right after installation, everything was pretty much working great, wireless card, bluetooth could connect to my mouse, resolution was 1280x800, sound and volume buttons worked. The only problem right now is that the monitor needs to be plugged in on bootup or else it will hang at the bluescreen. Also, some keys on the keyboard don't work (home, end, winlogo).

If anyone has any updates on the external monitor issue with 915GM cards, keep us posted, this is the only thing holding me back.

EDIT: I was able to get Home and End to work properly by installing DoubleCommand.

Yup, I actually made the dongle today - requires a bit of a chicken dance to get it going properly (plug in dongle, Fn F8, Fn F8, let it load, unplug dongle, detect displays). I'm eagerly awaiting a fix for this. Aside from that, there is no battery meter and the vert/horiz scrolls on the trackpad don't work, but those are minor issues. I was pretty pumped during the post-install configuration when it asked what wireless network I'd like to join, and my BT mouse worked after a couple clicks.

The resolution was fixed by using the Callisto technique ( http://omni.starchaser.org/ ), and also followed his method of getting the QE/CI working correctly (located in his FAQ section).

I also followed his method but it doesn't work for me. Can you tell me which file you editted? I tried the 9700, X1000 and several other files but it failed

My Inspiron 6000:

Celeron M 1.6 GHz

1.25 GB RAM

80GB HD

Intel Graphics

OS 10.4.5

I have gotten most things working:

1680x1050

wireless

trackpad tapping (as long as laptop doesn't sleep. Is disabled upon wakeup)

got past blue screen with 2 wire trick

Some things don't work:

all media buttons except volume control

DVD Player application (due to tapping fix I think)

SD Card Reader

side USB ports

edge-scrolling

Anyway, does anyone have any idea of how to get the edge-scrolling working? That is my biggest gripe with it besides the poor battery life. Also, the cursor seems to jump around randomly every once in a while. but it is easy to live with.

Good luck to all!

-chulogrande

Got it up and running last night! Wanted to share how and with what:

What:

Inspiron 6000

Pentium M 1.6

Intel 915 Graphics

512mb DDR2 Ram

80gb HDD

XP Professional Installed

With:

Tried JaS 10.4.6, would not boot the installer, kept having kernel panics saying invalid frame pointer.

Tried installing through Vmware JaS 10.4.6 with no success.

Worked successfully with Goatscex 10.4.6.

How:

Partition Magic 8 to Resize a 60gb partition, making about 10g for OSX (I'll likely reinstall and make this larger tonight, as I'm very pleased with it.)

Formatted the created partition as Primary FAT32. Ran FDISK via -v -s and saved the partitions just to be sure.

Burned Goatscex 10.4.6 to a DVD and rebooted. First pass through I had a blue screen on install start. I attached an external monitor without any power and it made it to the installer second time around. Using disktools, mounted and wiped the FAT32 partition, formatted to HFS+ (Journalized).

Chose GMA900 in the custom menu in addition to X and install. Went smoothly and rebooted.

Darwin OS Chooser poped up and showed me three partitions. Tried XP and it started just fine. Rebooted without the monitor connected and had another hang at bluescreen. Connected the monitor (without power) and started again straight into OSX.

What Works:

Display LCD is primary, Quartz and all the goodies. Detected as Intel 915.

Sound - Even the front laptop buttons work.

Power - No extra fan noise, about the same heat, lower battery life. It gets estimated at about 3:45 from a full charge, I usually get 5-8 depending on what I disable and how low I can make the LCD.

Mouse - USB and Touchpad work fine.

Network - Broadcom internal wired nic worked straight away.

Sleep - Works fine. I can close the lid, tell it to sleep, walk away. Even the battery alarm makes it take a nap. Comes back without issue.

What Doesn't:

Wireless - Intel 2200. Not detected, no hope for it as far as I can see here.

What's iffy:

Display at Boot.

I've tried detaching the monitor and detecting displays after boot and it makes it through successfully. There must be some software work around, but I'm not even close to knowing enough about Darwin to know where to start. I've made my own no-solder dongle which I'm hoping to post about tonight when I get home. It works great sans monitor.

Next Steps:

I'm going to pick up a D-Link DWL-G122 on lunch as it's reported to work nicely here. Only $40 CAD and there are tones of em around. I like the Intel Wireless alot for windows, so I really don't want to spend money to replace it. I can always stick the D-Link on another PC should I decide I don't want OSX around anymore (or are forced to dump it).

Thanks to JaS, the guys behind Goatscex, and the people on this forum for the chance to use OSX without buying overpriced generic Intel stuff.

Edit: Forgot to mention sleep working.

Intel M 1.6Ghz

512Mb RAM

60Gb Toshiba ATA

Hi all,

I've tried every possible type of installation, even followed a long guide of formatting a partition in disk utitlity via vmware but when trying to install 10.4.6 I still can't see my partitions. I've even tried a clean install but when trying to format my drive in disk utility I get a I/O error.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

BTW I've tried both JAS and Goatsec ISOs and oddly enough windows tells me my HD is ATA but disk utitlity tells me its serial ATA.

hello guys, im really stuck here, maybe you can help me, my inspiron 6000 is one of those with just a integrated intel extreme graphics

i installed the release 10.4.6 by JaS, and did all that tricky installation with the external monitor because at the beginning i just saw a blue screen, all the installation went successful and im booting ok with grub (i also have ubuntu and XP.. gentoo died to free space n_n)

the problem is that the boot stays forever at the first screen, i just see the apple and the little round thing and after a while a little sign of "dont", like this one, no_sign.jpg appears in front of the apple

wth does that means? there's any way to get a console? i have pressed all the keyboard and all that i have is just that screen

i hope its not related with my integrated graphic card :thumbsdown_anim:

yep, that was the problem, i was missing the common patch at the installation, now i just have to fix that video issue so i dont have to plug an external monitor each time, thats annoying

and wait for my new wireless card and new RAM, with 512 is a little bit slow

Got it running on my 6000:

512 Mb RAM

100 Gb Hard Drive

ATI X300

Got 1280 x 800 using Callisto_b003. Triple boot Windows XP Media Center, Vista Beta 2 and OS X using Acronis Disk Director. Installed with Jas 10.4.6 with SSE2, Wireless support, Radeon, etc.

Sound and front panel buttons work.

I need to TAP not click the buttons! Anyone know how to get the tapping working?

yep, that was the problem, i was missing the common patch at the installation, now i just have to fix that video issue so i dont have to plug an external monitor each time, thats annoying

and wait for my new wireless card and new RAM, with 512 is a little bit slow

i "resolved" my blue screen problem with cables on my VGA output

db15hd_female.gif

my overall performance is very very poor, any of you know how to speed things a little bit while i wait for another RAM memory?

Hi Guys, wondering if you can offer some advice.

I've installed patched 10.4.6 on my dell 9400 laptop but the reboot after installation doesn't work, giving me the hfs+ partition error. I'm not sure how to boot the windows partition at all now, or even if its possible anymore.

After i let darwin timeout when booting from the 10.4.6 installation dvd, the osx configuration starts, and i can progress to where it asks about my internet connection i get the blue screen which hangs. I've attached an external monitor but it doesnt seem to be recognized. Do i need to do something to make the configuration process see the ext monitor? I'm not sure what it could be other than to think that i'm in trouble because I can't get into an OS to set up the monitor. My graphics card is 128mb dedicated radeon, I'm not sure if that helps.

I'm really at a loss now because the only things i can really do with the machine are get into the BIOS setup, boot from the 10.4.6 installation dvd or go to the osx configuration screens, which hang on me. Any help at all would be really appreciated. I've read through the forums but I'm still really stumped!

I'm glad to see that I am not alone in this with the dell 6000 notebook. I kinda started out late in this and was monkeying around trying to get stuff to work just by reading the forums. At this point, I have a longer list of things that work than things that don't work. I'm not sure how to tell if I have QE and the rest of video fun stuff working. I know that openGL isn't working since attempting to run Bejeweled and failing. I did get Chess to load up and it ran, though.

So far, the only things that don't at least work to a tollerable degree is the card reader on the side, the modem, and the Intel 2200 wirelss card. The last thing that is really frustrating is the sllep issue, but it seems that is a common theme among the 6000 dells. I'd be happy with a way to turn the monior off, but not sleep when I close the lid. I found some sofware that prevents sleep, but it prevents the screen from turning off as well.

10.4.7 seemed to fix a couple of wierd things that were present right after installing, too. I have been tempted to try out a few more things, but since I got the native resolution of 1680x1050 and so many other things working fairly well, I am a little scared that I might bugger something up and not be able to recreate the steps I went through to get it to where it is now. I'd be willing to share the methods I used to make my system work, but I'm afraid that I really didn't do anything that wasn't already done and reported in here.

I also wanted to ask if anyone else has had issues with windows giving the fancy BSOD more than occaisonally on the 6000d? I have all sorts of issues with it giving stop errors and have had them send me replacement parts, too. The errors all seem to be related to the wireless network card. I have had none of those issues on OSX, though. Go figure, but it's possibly due to not using the wireless card under OSX.

• 5 weeks later...

hey you guys, could you please post /detailed/ system specs when you post about a problem or how exactly you got your's working, thanks.

I am also an Inspiron 6000 User, I'm gonig to be installing OSX via 10.4.7 JaS DVD, I'll let you guys know how it goes in a few days. here are my detailed system specs:

1.6Ghz Pentium M (Centrino, of course) SSE2 etc.

512MB DDR2 RAM

40GB HD

DVD-RW+DL/CD-RW Drive

Mobility Radeon X300 PCIe 64MB

Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

(no Bluetooth or anything like that).

6Cell standard Dell Battery.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking foward to testing this out, it appears that alot of my hardware should work, except the wireless card sadly. we'll see though, if any of you know any tweaks to possibly get it working, please tell me lol.

let's keep this thread active, we needn't have people in the dark here :D.

-Patrick

Been trying to install OSX786 on my Dell 6000 for a while now. Keep getting a blue screen after the apple logo during setup.

Using the Darwin 10.4.4 disk

I have connected a VGA monitor cable to the port on the back. I'm guessing this should work for the required 'dongle'?

It's a 1.6 centrino, 1gb of ram, intel integrated graphics.

I'm using the following install method:

http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/05/...-computer/?id=1

still nothing.

Anyone got any tips? point me in the way of the proper install method to install OSX on a seperate partition?

got a bit farther by hitting the crt/lcd button on my laptop

now I can actually see an install menu grid. lots of graphic errors, but you can make all of it out.

problem is, the res is higher than the screen size.... I can't see any option windows for install.

I was able to get through this by hitting the enter key to get up to the 'select destination' screen.

No volumes are showing up... ideas?

what format should my OSX patition be in before I load up the installer?

you lack in soo many details.... state your sys specs.

Dell Inspiron i6000

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.60ghz

989mhz

504mb of Ram

Fujitsu MHV2100AH hardrive (100gb split into 75GB< 15 GB, and 10 GB partitions)

NEC DVD+_RW ND-6650A

Conexant D110 MDC V.9x Modem

1394 Network Adaptor

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Network Controller

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

D347PRT SCSI Controller

SigmaTel C-Major Audio

Legacy Audio Drivers

Presonus Firepod Audio Drivers

Anything else I need to list?

BTW: I got as far as rebooting the install. It shows a screen full of white text with a white block at the end of it all. Let it sit for 2 hours, and nothing.

hmm you didn't mention your video card, regardless.... I'm installing it now and it appears to be going well all the way through, we shall see.

also, does anyone know about replacing the Intel PRO Wireless 2915ABG card with a broadcom one?

if so, please send me a link to the dell manual or something, dial-up is slow :(

Hey guys, I just installed OS X 10.4.3 (Wesley Patch) for the second time. The first install I did worked flawlessly. Well, except for the wireless, ati driver, and native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

This time however, I cant' seem to get my wired ethernet to work. I'm not sure why.. I've never had this happen to me before. I'm thinking about just trying another fresh install to see what happens.

Specs:

Inspiron 6000

ATI X300 128MB

80GB HDD

1.0 GB RAM

Intel Pro Wireless

Intel Pentium M 1.73Ghz

Any advice would be awesome.