UnOfficial Dell Inspiron 6000 Thread

JacobMarley

139 posts in this topic

So I've been gleeming alot from these forums over the past few days, weeks, so I thought I'd give alittle back. Get everything I used in one central location for all the Inspiron 6k users out there. (And I know there are a few.)

Start things off, Specs.

CPU: 1.6Mhz

RAM: 1GB 533MHz FSB

HD: 40GB SATA

CD/DVD: Sony DVD+/-RW

Video: ATI Mobility x300 128MB (5460 id code per MacOSX)

Image Used:

Started with the 10.4.4 image found at the normal locations.

Upgraded with "The Man's" patch to 10.4.5

Loaded image with all options unchecked, leaving only "tweaks" and Basic installation. No print drivers, language files, etc. . . (No need for them, so I really didn't want to bother.)

After the first boot, I loaded Koverg's ATI driver hack. Topic can be found here: ATI Works

With that hack I have full QE and CI support. Some mouse tearing of course, but, ah well, it's a Hakintosh, I'll live with it. I tried using the Mousepose workaround, but that only caused me more problems.

After I loaded the display hack, I modded the com.apple.Boot.plist file to include the resolution I wanted. You can find that file under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Edit using:

sudo nano -w and add <string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"</string>

just after the Kernal Flags line.

I also loaded this mod as well. Hard Drive Speed

I did not do the 2nd part of the post where he suggests using the IOATA file from the Darwin CD as I didn't see any slowdowns after multiple reboots and running a kextstat I see the driver loaded. (Just for the record, on my system, the directions state to remove or rename the original kext file. That didn't exist on my system, so for me it was a fresh install of this kext.)

After loading both mods, I suggest running the following commands:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

I did this after doing both mods to make sure both kext files were loaded prior to rebooting.

Rebooted. Back in, running at 1280x1024x32 and with full QE and CI support!

I also have Sound, with full use of the volume controls on the front of the laptop, networking with the wired port.

Things that obviously don't work, Wireless.

Maybe this is no help to anyone, but I struggled to find these things so I thought this might be a good clearing house for any 6000 users out there.

Just for grins, my XBench Scores: 48.72

So, if this helped anyone, great! If not, well, I tried.

Jacob Marley

3 things that i was/am missing.

1. wireless funct. with intel 2200 --> bought dell truemobile 1450 card *fixed*

2. vlc working smooth. first movies had the green/pink problem, fixed by setting prefs to QE; but the movies have a bit of jitter when played whether it be xvid / divx or DVD.. need help.. *help*

3. widescreen for native x300 - 1680x1050 <--- anyone know status or what need to be hacked to enable this? *help*

besides that i am runnning osx.4.4 flawlessly. don't see a need to go to x.4.5

please help with point especially :2, i guess 3 will take some more time.

anyone managed to get non standard resolutions on anything else than a gma9XX card???

:poster_oops:

cheers!

Hi,

I had install the osx 10.4.5 on my dell inspiron 6000 laptop

I am not able to boot directly from the hard drive.

I used to boot with an older install osx DVD.

it not BOOT anymore

How do you done to be able to boot direct with the hard drive ?

I use a disk with only OSX ... not dual booting

i erase it using the disk utility ... is there a special thinks to make the disk bootable or the install should do that ?

Thx,

Boby

So I've been gleeming alot from these forums over the past few days, weeks, so I thought I'd give alittle back. Get everything I used in one central location for all the Inspiron 6k users out there. (And I know there are a few.)

Start things off, Specs.

CPU: 1.6Mhz

RAM: 1GB 533MHz FSB

HD: 40GB SATA

CD/DVD: Sony DVD+/-RW

Video: ATI Mobility x300 128MB (5460 id code per MacOSX)

Image Used:

Started with the 10.4.4 image found at the normal locations.

Upgraded with "The Man's" patch to 10.4.5

Loaded image with all options unchecked, leaving only "tweaks" and Basic installation. No print drivers, language files, etc. . . (No need for them, so I really didn't want to bother.)

After the first boot, I loaded Koverg's ATI driver hack. Topic can be found here: ATI Works

With that hack I have full QE and CI support. Some mouse tearing of course, but, ah well, it's a Hakintosh, I'll live with it. I tried using the Mousepose workaround, but that only caused me more problems.

After I loaded the display hack, I modded the com.apple.Boot.plist file to include the resolution I wanted. You can find that file under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Edit using:

sudo nano -w and add <string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"</string>

just after the Kernal Flags line.

I also loaded this mod as well. Hard Drive Speed

I did not do the 2nd part of the post where he suggests using the IOATA file from the Darwin CD as I didn't see any slowdowns after multiple reboots and running a kextstat I see the driver loaded. (Just for the record, on my system, the directions state to remove or rename the original kext file. That didn't exist on my system, so for me it was a fresh install of this kext.)

After loading both mods, I suggest running the following commands:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

I did this after doing both mods to make sure both kext files were loaded prior to rebooting.

Rebooted. Back in, running at 1280x1024x32 and with full QE and CI support!

I also have Sound, with full use of the volume controls on the front of the laptop, networking with the wired port.

Things that obviously don't work, Wireless.

Maybe this is no help to anyone, but I struggled to find these things so I thought this might be a good clearing house for any 6000 users out there.

Just for grins, my XBench Scores: 48.72

So, if this helped anyone, great! If not, well, I tried.

Jacob Marley

2. vlc working smooth. first movies had the green/pink problem, fixed by setting prefs to QE; but the movies have a bit of jitter when played whether it be xvid / divx or DVD.. need help.. *help*

3. widescreen for native x300 - 1680x1050 <--- anyone know status or what need to be hacked to enable this? *help*

besides that i am runnning osx.4.4 flawlessly. don't see a need to go to x.4.5

please help with point especially :2, i guess 3 will take some more time.

anyone managed to get non standard resolutions on anything else than a gma9XX card???

:)

cheers!

I had no problem running IDVD. The sound and pictures are great after patching. It didn't run before but now it does after the graphic features are enabled. Wow, I'm happy.

I just got a 6000 and i'm having problems getting stuff to work. tried kovergs patch, but i think i need a fresh 9700 kext as i cant get it to work with what i've got. also my wireless is a dell 1370 and i think its supposed to work, but my install doesnt have the 80211 kext. If someone could send me both of these kexts it would help me out quite a bit.

I'd like to say that my VLC is working flawless now. Don't know what was wrong prior, maybe I just need a fresh restart after the installation. No Idea. Anyway, surfing off the bat with truemobile 1450 built in card works perfect.

:(

Cheers!

My laptop (inspiron 6000) seems to have problems with heat management in osx It seems to heat up WAY faster than normal, and also, after if gets to a certain temperature (not sure exactly how much), it seems to slow down significantly. It was snappy and everything was good during the first 10-15 minutes, but then slowed to a point that opening a menu was tedious.

Anyone else have this same problem? If so, how would I be able to 'fix' this?

Thanks in advance

_Delta

EDIT: I just tried to disable speedstep on my BIOS, but that just made it end up being slow and unable to do anything to begin with.

yupp deltazero, i had speedstep disabled when i installed OSX.. big mistake.. took forever, and osx ofcourse ran like the first genration G3 if not slower. never disable intel speedstep in bios if you want to run osx.

:)

cheers

Hey guys to get the Dell 1370 Wireless edit

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and find this

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4264</string>

</array>

and change <string>pci14e4,4264</string> to <string>pci14e4,4318</string>

and then run

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

reboot and you should see the airport icaon on next to the clock now all you have to do is go to

System Preferences > Network it should detect the Dell Wireless 1370 as an Airport!!

Hope that helps..

BTW, I'm currently having the problem with needing to have 10.4.5 hooked up to an external monitor before trying to boot on my laptop...ugh

try this

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...688entry64688

Thanks for the help xedeon! I got the Dell 1370 Wireless to work!

-chulogrande

Hey guys to get the Dell 1370 Wireless edit

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and find this

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4264</string>

</array>

and change <string>pci14e4,4264</string> to <string>pci14e4,4318</string>

and then run

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

reboot and you should see the airport icaon on next to the clock now all you have to do is go to

System Preferences > Network it should detect the Dell Wireless 1370 as an Airport!!

Hope that helps..

try this

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...688entry64688

Is this the only solution? :whistle:

Also, did you get the ethernet card to work? I sort of got it working but I have to do like this:

boot linux so the card gets initialized

restart (don't turn off)

boot macos and there it is, the card is working.

Is it an easier way?

Thanks

Also, did you get the ethernet card to work? I sort of got it working but I have to do like this:

boot linux so the card gets initialized

restart (don't turn off)

boot macos and there it is, the card is working.

I also have to "initialize the card" before having network access in OS X. I go about it by trying to boot from onboard LAN in the BIOS boot menu and waiting until the link and activity lights on the card come on. Then I can restart and network in OS X no problem. Is there a fix for this?

Well, I just joined the group of people who have had sucess running Mac OS X on a Dell 6000. I have 512MB of memory and the ATI x300 128MB Gephics and everything is woking except for the built-in Wireless and the native resolution (I am using 1024x768). I am using Mac OS X 10.4.5 (hopefully soon to be 10.4.6). Speed seems pretty decent too.

@MarkW, If you have an CRT monitor you can hook it up to the insp6000 and get whatever max resolution you have on the laptop on the external display.

There is no way to set the refresh rates yet, but I am hoping that Omni's progress will help us set resolution and refresh rates for the screen (laptop and external).

I did also try a external LCD screen before but it wouldn't work because of the mismatch in refresh rates.

Did you manage to fix QE/CI with koverg patch yet?

cheers

:graduated: