Are the new Intel Chipsets supported?

29 posts in this topic

Hi, I am on MSI 945GCM5-F V2 motherboard now. My girlfriend is going to buy a new entry-level computer, and this 945GC fits her need very well. So I'd like to buy another mainboard for my Leopard set-up.

My friend google tells me that Intel releases some new chipsets recently, and GA-EP43-S3L from Gigabyte, which is based on Intel P43+ICH10, is sold at RMB799 (around USD$110). Amazing, it's even cheaper than P35 based boards from Gigabyte. But I am not able to find any sucess cases relating to "P43, osx86" or "P45, osx86", it seems that no one is running osx86 on these latest chipsets.

If anyone has tried these latest chipsets with osx86, please share your experience with us.

Well almost the same question has been asked from me, too.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=110698

I work for a Reseller Store in Germany, so the G/P43 chipset has not as much features like the P35 or G/P45 chipset. Both use the ICH10-Bridge.

Only the PCIe gaming performance is lower of the 43ers. e.g. 1x PCIe 2.0 with 16x, not Crossfire compatible and no secondary and teritiaer PCIe with 8x.

Greetz

PS: Our technician told me, that ICH9 drivers should work. But I'll try to boot OSX 10.4 and 10.5 from one of our P45 Mainbards. If I'm successful, I'll write here an answer.

Greetz

enzo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have a GA-EP45-DS3L motherboard and it is working fine for me. the only problem is the audio...so far i haven't found an ALC 888 patch that will work on the motherboard's ICH10 southbridge. But aside from that everything is perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
@danaurel and freedomThinker:

Have you been able to do this without a modded bios?

Second question: which DVD and kexts have you used?

Thanks in advance.

to answer your first question yes i was able to do it without a modded bios. Gigabyte motherboards are very compatible wit Leopard. and for the second question, i used the kalyway 10.5.2 dvd. The audio might give u some problems

I have a GA-EP43-DS3L, and it works fine. :D

Well, it doesn't shutdown/restart, but thats not a problem for me.

I have only one ALC patch that seems to work. (2 channel with input; I'm going to see if I can beat AzaliaAudio into working in a minute.)

Sorry to whoever made this patched AppleHDA, I don't remember where it came from.

Enjoy,

ALC888_AppleHDA.kext.zip

-- Ricky26

Hi, I'm using an MSI P43/ICH10 chipset. I've installed it with Kalyway 10.5.2 (BIOS v1.3 for changing RAID mode to AHCI instead of IDE). I've only managed to get it to boot using JaS ACPI/APIC drivers, using one core (cpus=1).

EDIT: I managed to find one working ALC888 kext file on Taruga's webpage in the testing kexts section. I've got sound now and everything works great. It's fast though only one core is working. I've heard Gigabyte motherboards are better to use for hackintosh. :(

Those Gigabyte boards look great at about $110 or $140. The built in graphics are working, I presume?

Thanks for testing out and verifying these chipsets, I for one like to get the latest/greatest with mobos. I plan on an alt. build to complement this macbook; for the heavy computing work such as audio rec/mixdown or video.

Guitarist

How about an ASUS P5K SE/EPU. I believe it has a Intel P35 chipset, any clue if I can get this working?

Asus P5K SE works fine, at least with iAtkos 1.0 and 4.0, Leo4all and iDeneb. Yuo must patch the Audio and the ethernet.

Greetings

I have a GA-EP43-DS3L. After installation ok kalyway 10.5.3, I have no sound. 

I installed the file provided by Ricky26 in /System/Library/Extensions but after a reboot still no sound in itunes and no device in system profiler. 

I tried another files which can be found here : AzaliaAudio

But it's still the same, no sound in itunes or vlc.

In the bios, the Azalia codec is on Auto. 

Has someone an idea of what to do to have sound with this motherboard ? 

Thanks a lot.

Asus P5K SE works fine, at least with iAtkos 1.0 and 4.0, Leo4all and iDeneb. Yuo must patch the Audio and the ethernet.

Greetings

Everytime I've tried with those I get a "Still waiting for root device". Is there anything I have to do on my BIOS specifically?

I have a GA-EP43-DS3L, and it works fine. :(

I have only one ALC patch that seems to work. (2 channel with input; I'm going to see if I can beat AzaliaAudio into working in a minute.)

Sorry to whoever made this patched AppleHDA, I don't remember where it came from.

Enjoy,

ALC888_AppleHDA.kext.zip

-- Ricky26

I think that's Taruga's modified ALC88x HDA kext.

I have the same board and have messed around with the layout/pathmaps in this kext for a few weeks now.

I still can't get the complete channel routing working and think Taruga could be the only one to answer a few questions.

Unfortunately he's been mostly MIA (along with his site) and hope things are alright.

Did you get anywhere with AzaliaAudio ?

Everytime I've tried with those I get a "Still waiting for root device". Is there anything I have to do on my BIOS specifically?

Disable the IDE controller.

You need Sata HD and Dvd connected to the ports 1 and 2 (lower). The "Still waiting for root device" is because probably you are using IDE.

A tip: When installing Leo select only the OS, the chameleon or Darwin and the HCIfix, nothing else. The kexts for ethernet, sound and video you can install when you are inside Leo.

Greetings

Sorry but english is not my first language

Hi, I also have a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L and haven't found yet a patch for the audio. I'm having a trouble trying to do the Linux Code dump using Taruga's HDA patcher. I can't seem to get a code dump of linux. you or anyone else having luck?

Hi, I also have a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L and haven't found yet a patch for the audio. I'm having a trouble trying to do the Linux Code dump using Taruga's HDA patcher. I can't seem to get a code dump of linux. you or anyone else having luck?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok.

I've managed to update my system.

Here's what I did:

1) Install Kalyway 10.5.2

2) Install Combo Update 10.5.4 (don't restart when it finishes)

3) Change the Don't Steal Mac OS X with dsmos.kext in script folder

4) Install LS8V12 patch

5) Reboot

Everything is working now, except for the audio. Ricky kext is not working.

• 1 month later...

EP-43-DSL (BIOS F8) works, ICH10 works with ICHx fix, SATA drives work with ACHI enabled and in Native IDE mode, you can use an ATAPI DVD-rom to install with this MoBo (I used iDeneb) you just have to disable the IDE controller when you install and re-enable it afterwards to make the drive visible for OS X.

I stressed system (NOT OC!) (EP-43, Q6600, 2x1GB Kingston Standard 800Mhz DDR2, 2x SATA2 drives, Ethernet, 7600GE Nvidia) for 48 hours, it is ROCK solid. Suspend works, but you have to change the ACPI suspend setting to (1). Shutdown works, restart works. My configuration:

1. ICHx fix

2. NVinject 0.2.1 (for Nvidia graphics)

3. StageXNU kernel

All in all, I have never used OS X and it took me about 2 hours to install iDeneb on PC and configure it. After 2 days of testing and stressing I can say that it is impressively stable. (And I am not coming from *dows). Though coming from BSD or Linux it is hard to find the proper files, etc seems to be 'just' there, mostly you should look into /System instead.

Most of the time went into trying different BIOS settings because there was not much coherent information.

One hint: if your boot DVD does not find itself (no boot image and fallback), then just change the settings for IDE a few times, it works randomly (same setting might work/ might not) : I thought that ATAPI DVD would not boot, but after changing the _same_ setting for IDE few times, it worked.

I hope that these random bits were of some help to somebody with the same MoBo.

L.

• 2 months later...
I have a GA-EP43-DS3L, and it works fine. :)

Enjoy,

ALC888_AppleHDA.kext.zip

-- Ricky26

Could you be so kind to post your Bios settings / install guide? That would be AWESOME, I tried multiple times to install the {censored} but without success.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...