Little Snitch

RoyaRandom

15 posts in this topic

I was wondering how many of you have Little Snitch install and why is it nessacary.

It picks up when apps start to "phone home". Also useful for stopping unwanted incoming/outgoing net connections.

Yeah, Little Snitch (costs money btw, unless you get it... erm, questionably - in which case you are using hacked software to stop other hacked software. Ironic? Maybe) stops other applications from accessing the internet. I use it to stop my... questionable software from letting the world know of its wear-abouts. Useful, but not necessary.

I suggest Little Snitch (shareware) and Peer Guardian (free)

Peer Guardian is a must if you ever use torrents.

Before you pay for little snitch it shuts off every 3 hours, but you can just turn it back on. I think it is worth paying for however.

I use it all the time and find it very useful to see what is "phoning home".

Extremely handy if you have a couple of dubious bits of 'ware on your mac.

I paid for it and was happy to. It's frightening how much software tries to contact the mothership these days

worth the money, in my opinion!

Rick

I use it all the time and find it very useful to see what is "phoning home".

Extremely handy if you have a couple of dubious bits of 'ware on your mac.

I paid for it and was happy to. It's frightening how much software tries to contact the mothership these days

worth the money, in my opinion!

Rick

Most of those are just update checkers, but you can't trust that is all they are doing. If you ever read that license agreement you click "agree" on with most software you basically sign all your rights away. That alone is a good reason to use "dubious" versions of software since that eula is rendered null and void by doing so.

Most of those are just update checkers, but you can't trust that is all they are doing. If you ever read that license agreement you click "agree" on with most software you basically sign all your rights away. That alone is a good reason to use "dubious" versions of software since that eula is rendered null and void by doing so.

Exactly, if you are concerned about the legal EULA stuff, just buy the legit app so you have a legit license and then use the "dubious" version :) Its not stealing (unless you are using torrents to get it, which in case means that you are sharing it with others that don't have a license) because you own the software.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard about Little Snitch when I wanted to stop Audio Hijack Pro from phoning home. Initially I voted for Netbarrier because it gives more features and that Little Snitch shuts off every 3 hours and have to manually restart it. But when I got past that headache, I found it very faithful. I would say its a must have application ( for slimy people like me , whose 90% applications are obtained using other means :( ).