SATA on Nforce3 Working

myzar

131 posts in this topic

The copy was about 75GB of data and it completed to one drive; the other two did not complete as the copy operations hung and trying to kill the Finder ultimately meant I had to restart. This could be a Finder bug though; I've seen large file transfers crash occasionally under PPC... perhaps more testing will indicate if this is more common on x86 or this hardware configuration.

Upon restarting, 2 of the volumes had Volume Bit Map errors, but not the same two that had the transfer crash -- only one of those drives had the error as well as one that completed the transfer. They repair in Disk Utility without any apparent problem, but the repair didn't actually work the first time. Something happens in kernel_task and it starts hogging 100% of a single CPU and the system won't accept my password, and attempts to verify the disk fail. Then I tried repairing again, and it completed while system load returned to normal levels at the same time.

Strange behaviour and it's starting to look like compatibility is not 100%.. :)

If I click Verify repeatedly, it alternately says the volume is fine with no errors, then says the volume has Volume Bit Map needs repair. I did this about 10+ times. Now after typing that I try it again, and it Verify's OK each time.... I keep trying it and sure enough after a while it comes up with error again (at which point DiskManagementTool asks for my password?!) I do it a few more times and it gives inconsistant response. After it says "OK" I try to mount the Volume and it mounts OK...

Then again maybe these problems are related to the file transfer crashing, which as stated could be a Finder bug and not specific to the SATA implementation... I'll erase the drives and try the repeated verify/repair thing again.. Yes perhaps this is the problem; I had to force delete some items from Trash

macgirl, cool signature but 924.18 KB is way too much for the server bandwidth, dont you think?
:thumbsdown_anim:

Yeah, I thought so, any ideas where to put it?

I'm working in a lower version that doesn't loose colors like those 256 color gifs.

Gdfath3r, you care to elaborate?

I was planning on installing it in VMware, altering the Info.plist, then dd'ing that image to a partition (or alternatively using a native partition in VMware). What's the issue with it? Will it not boot from a SATA volume anyway?

Cheers

Tom

Gdfath3r, you care to elaborate?

I was planning on installing it in VMware, altering the Info.plist, then dd'ing that image to a partition (or alternatively using a native partition in VMware). What's the issue with it? Will it not boot from a SATA volume anyway?

Cheers

Tom

I tried....

I copied the osx parition to a SATA drive, but wont mount the drive...( with acronis disk director..)

I appreciate the effort on AppleVIAATA.kext, but at this moment this is probable the only workable link to make useful sata, also this .kext is only beta version...so the author probable is working on this project.

Myself I did progress, I can start the installation on sata...but, is freezing at different points....I wasted about 15 dvd disk to see if will work or not....

I've got it working, with just a SATA drive. Here's how with 10.4.3 (roughly):

- Installed with VMware and Daemon Tools (to a VMware image file)

- Booted in to that image, copied AppleVIAATA.kext into IOATAFamily.kext, altered the Info.plist to contain my hardware ID, fixed the permissions (chown root:wheel / chmod 755) and did both a kextcache -k and kextcache -m on AppleVIAATA.kext, followed by kextcache -L -N -e (not sure if all of this was needed, I wanted to be sure it'd notice it :blink:)

- Added chain0 to my boot.ini and then booted in to a Ubuntu Linux live cd with VMware, with both the OSX drive image and the (type AF) partition I prepared on my hard disk mapped in the image.

- Located the correct partition with fdisk /dev/hda (or b, depending), and then did: dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/hda4 bs=4k (where /dev/hdb1 is the OSX image, and /dev/hda4 is the partition I wanted to install it to) - took about five minutes to dd with that block size

- Rebooted, selected OSX from the boot menu (and had to press F8 straight away to get to the Darwin bootloader, need to fix this) and for the first time ever OSX booted smoothly from my SATA drive :)

Hope this helps a few of you who are stuck with no IDE drives!

Cheers, and respect to whoever discovered the AppleVIAATA hack ;)

Tom

Where can I get AppleVIAATA.kext from?

Its not on the DVD Installer I have (Might be in the mkext file, will find out later) I also have the 10.4.4 restore disk and a vmware set up of 10.4.3 (Where I can see it)

Do the versions differ? Or does it not matter?

I was able to install native and easily with nforce4 and a 160gb sata drive! But when I rebooted it the first time, it said still waiting for root device and just hangs there. I had done xbench and the results were so good. Please help!!!!

Pls. post in detail how you managed to get a SATA install working. Mine shows the boot loader but hangs up when it comes to assigning virtual memory, followed by a timeout. I installed on a IDE HDD(works perfectly), edited the AppleVIAATA.kext(to add my device id's) and copied it into IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns. I then repaired permissions using chown root:wheel and chmod 755. Then i deleted Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext and rebooted. Then I connected my SATA hard disk and dd'd the install onto a id=af partition on my SATA HDD. What cud be the problem?

Pls. reply ASAP.

I wud luv 2 hav a SATA install of OS X, especially after my SATA disk was detected and mounted from my IDE install.

PS: An error message appears saying com.AppleIOATAFamily.kext has no kernel dependencies. Cud this be the source of the problem?

I was able to install native and easily with nforce4 and a 160gb sata drive! But when I rebooted it the first time, it said still waiting for root device and just hangs there. I had done xbench and the results were so good. Please help!!!!

try booting with -f and if it boots fix the permissions on the kext, there's an updated ppf that corrects the permissions problem on the kext but i'm not sure if you can actually boot from a sata hd

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ATA_hard_drives this Wiki article describes my method for doing it. Of course, some of you might not need to use VMWare, e.g. if you have access to an IDE drive, but I reckon it's worth a read anyway.

Tom

Edit: feel free to correct that article if there's anything you think should be done differently!

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ATA_hard_drives this Wiki article describes my method for doing it. Of course, some of you might not need to use VMWare, e.g. if you have access to an IDE drive, but I reckon it's worth a read anyway.

Tom

Edit: feel free to correct that article if there's anything you think should be done differently!

Your instructions seem right but i was referring to the patched dvd floating around with the updated ppf :P if it works you can jump to step 5 of your guide

I have a little problem here.

How can i figure out my vendor/deviceID because my "Device Instance ID" is:

IDE\DISKST380013AS______________________________3.25____\4A35465639304D51202020202020202020202020

and it doesnt start with:

PCI\VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX...

Some idea?

I have a little problem here.

How can i figure out my vendor/deviceID because my "Device Instance ID" is:

and it doesnt start with:

Some idea?

yeah you are looking at wrong device, you should look at the sata controller not the hd

Your instructions seem right but i was referring to the patched dvd floating around with the updated ppf :D if it works you can jump to step 5 of your guide

Oh fantastic, I had no idea there was pre-patched DVD around. I was toying with idea of trying to create a patched DVD myself but thought it was easier to do it in VMware than bother leaving the house to buy a blank DVD :( What version of OSX is it, and how well does it work?

Hopefully the guide will still be of use to someone :)

I am just getting that patch now and will tell you all if it works. As I said, my installation worked great using an nforce4 mobo (DFI ultra-d) and an amd cpu. Just that after reboot I got the still waiting for root device thing. This patch should fix that and make me a happy camper. Now all I need is that nvidia driver!

I am just getting that patch now and will tell you all if it works. As I said, my installation worked great using an nforce4 mobo (DFI ultra-d) and an amd cpu. Just that after reboot I got the still waiting for root device thing. This patch should fix that and make me a happy camper. Now all I need is that nvidia driver!

i'm not sure if it was the permissions on the kext or not, if it still doesn't work you it's something else, is the osx partition the first one on the drive ?

Maybe the patch provided support booting from the DVD with the SATA mods, but didn't copy the actual kext afterwards in the Extensions folder? Check the VIAATA.kext from VMWare and look if the NF dev id's are in there.

I'm totally lost, myzar or Gdfath3r can you summerise the progress made?

What is supposed to happen to the AppleVIAATA.kext file? Somebody said add it into another kext or something, and which DevID's are supposed to be added.

You said the other kext is ruled out because it does not work? So AppleVIAATA.kext is the only one needed to be edited?

Also, to create a bootable DVD using the pre-patched iso, you can use TransMac surely.....

Edit: The guide posted earlier ( http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ATA_hard_drives ) I shouldv'e read first, and anybody joining the topic should.

Just tried again with newest version of the dvd. Installs fine and works fine on my nforce4. Did do some weird things during 2 of my fiRst 8 experimental reboots but it seems ok in the end. Maybe some others can confirm this result.