SATA on Nforce3 Working

myzar

131 posts in this topic

How do you get it to work? I just dont get it!

<key>Serial ATA</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>
		<key>Hardware Name</key>
		<string>8237 SATA</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x31491106</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<string>1000</string>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>Serial ATA</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>

I looked through all the Device ID's linked with nForce and all those on this guide ( http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ATA_hard_drives ) And I came up with two lists:

nForce related: 0x005210DE, 0x005910DE, 0x005D10DE, 0X005710DE,0x014110DE

Standard Dual IDE Controller (It should be Serial ATA Controller according to guide) : 0x005310DE, 0x005410DE, 0x005510DE

And so I concluded that this pattern must continue, so I entered 0x005110DE, 0x005210DE etc. and all the others into the Primary Match field. So it ended up looking like:

<string>0x31491106 0x005110DE 0x005210DE</string>

I then put this in amongst the Extensions, and inside of IOATAFamily.kext (I copied the patches folder from the 10.4.3 IOATAFamily.kext version, and kept whatever was inside of it, but replaced the AppleVIAATA.kext

file.

Then I changed all the permissions to root:wheel using BatChmod (Saves alot of time) and created a mkext file which I then changed the permissions to root:wheel. After this I extracted the files from vmware and used transmac to add them to the patched 10.4.4 iso with 10.4.5 added on. Burnt this, and it doesn't see my hard disk at all still!!!

I'm totally lost, did I do it right? Or is all of the above completely wrong??? Thanks guys!

How do you get it to work? I just dont get it!

And so I concluded that this pattern must continue, so I entered 0x005110DE, 0x005210DE etc. and all the others into the Primary Match field. So it ended up looking like:

<string>0x31491106 0x005110DE 0x005210DE</string>

you didn't enter the right one , i assume you are on nforce4 so the entries are :

<string>0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de</string>

0x00e310de is nforce3

How does it come that the driver hack runs stable on your NF3/4 boards and not with mine?! :)

I do always get "ATAController blocking bus" messages ("dmesg" in Console) and other weird things.

How does it come that the driver hack runs stable on your NF3/4 boards and not with mine?! :D

I do always get "ATAController blocking bus" messages ("dmesg" in Console) and other weird things.

I'm new here, and new to OS X on any platform. Following the instructions posted, my OS X 86 installation on a AN8 SLI now recognizes the NTFS partition on my SATA HD, but not the FAT32 partition. Of course, my linux partitions are all reiserfs- thus, out-of-bounds for the OS X :-(

Any one have any success in getting the onboard ethernet to work? How might one use the forcedeth.c code from linux (or BSD?) to compile a driver?

I think I might be getting the same error as jsnuff1, when my installation gets to "Essentials" it gets to about 10% and then says "please try installing again" and prompts me with reboot.

One extension is conflicting with another? Anybody have any idea's what it could be?

Edit: Just tried it again, its 15% spot on I think. My latest theory is that its the plugins within the IOATAFamily.kext, so I'm going to delete all of the apart from AppleVIAATA.kext and see what happens.

Edit 2: Its not the plugins of IOATAFamily.kext (ie. IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext, IOATABlockTransport.kext, AppleOnboardPCATA.kext, AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, AppleGenericPCATA.kext)

It must be on of the other kext's, but I haven't a clue which one, I am not experienced enough....I have a guess it would be linked to SATA though, lol

Edit 3: Anybody noticed how dead slow it is to boot into the installer, and install with this patched (Native im talking about) Yet, I used the iso from the PC using Daemon tools, and it was faster (It would be anyway because its coming from the PC) but its still miles slower.

Anyway, the main point of this 3rd Edit, is that it goes past 15% on installing the Essentials in Vmware. I've done my researching, I now want somebody to help me find an answer please :(

thefighter, just keep trying the install, youll get it eventually. I think the problem is whatever is conflecting with the VIAATA driver is causing read and write errors to the drive, which is messing up the install. I got a full install after about 4 tries.

I dont know if the driver itself is unstable or whether this mysterios "IOATA Controller device blocking bus" conflect is the problem.

I think I might be getting the same error as jsnuff1, when my installation gets to "Essentials" it gets to about 10% and then says "please try installing again" and prompts me with reboot.

One extension is conflicting with another? Anybody have any idea's what it could be?

Edit: Just tried it again, its 15% spot on I think. My latest theory is that its the plugins within the IOATAFamily.kext, so I'm going to delete all of the apart from AppleVIAATA.kext and see what happens.

Edit 2: Its not the plugins of IOATAFamily.kext (ie. IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext, IOATABlockTransport.kext, AppleOnboardPCATA.kext, AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, AppleGenericPCATA.kext)

It must be on of the other kext's, but I haven't a clue which one, I am not experienced enough....I have a guess it would be linked to SATA though, lol

Edit 3: Anybody noticed how dead slow it is to boot into the installer, and install with this patched (Native im talking about) Yet, I used the iso from the PC using Daemon tools, and it was faster (It would be anyway because its coming from the PC) but its still miles slower.

Anyway, the main point of this 3rd Edit, is that it goes past 15% on installing the Essentials in Vmware. I've done my researching, I now want somebody to help me find an answer please :)

Why not just install it via VMWare as in the guide? Or are you saying it won't finish either way?

I have some pictures of my screen, where it says some of the kernels are missing dependancies, the strange thing is, using the DVD there is about 5 of them, when I used the DVD in vmware I had only 1 or so. Don't know whats going on there, I will post if needed (Might be helpfull to finding a solution)

I gave up with the DVD and tried installing to the physicall partition using vmware. It worked, and loads when I used vmware. But when I try loading it natively, it just keeps saying "waiting for root" or something, can't quite remember. I've tried over and over to see if I could trick it into working, but nope.

Here are the pictures I took of the problems:

- A rather horrible picture of the boot process native from the DVD, notice the extensions failing. http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/4044/bootscreen8in.jpg

- A picture of the boot progress in vmware, the extensions failing are different. http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/1333/bootscreen21we.jpg

- The extensions failing. http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4365/essentials4db.jpg

Anybody have any clue what is going on? Because I have installed to the physcial hard drive using vmware and it is partitioned AF etc etc. And I can view and work with it using vmware but whenever I come to boot it natively, it cant find the hard drive, any suggestions? I'm stumped!

I did not install to hard drive using vmware the same way as the guide, when I was creating a new virtual machine, I just selected my AF partition. Should I try it another way? With the DD to the drive or whatever it is, because I didn't understand it!

Thanks guys!

Here are the pictures I took of the problems:

- A rather horrible picture of the boot process native from the DVD, notice the extensions failing. http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/4044/bootscreen8in.jpg

- A picture of the boot progress in vmware, the extensions failing are different. http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/1333/bootscreen21we.jpg

- The extensions failing. http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4365/essentials4db.jpg

Anybody have any clue what is going on? Because I have installed to the physcial hard drive using vmware and it is partitioned AF etc etc. And I can view and work with it using vmware but whenever I come to boot it natively, it cant find the hard drive, any suggestions? I'm stumped!

I did not install to hard drive using vmware the same way as the guide, when I was creating a new virtual machine, I just selected my AF partition. Should I try it another way? With the DD to the drive or whatever it is, because I didn't understand it!

Thanks guys!

the first two pictures don't display anything weird during the boot process these are normal warnings . The last picture with the plg failing to install usually happens from a read error from the dvd so my question is are u 100% sure the burned dvd is ok ?

edit your problem seems very very similar to this:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=10844

itmandan, there is a ppf for this? Where?

EDIT: I booted it up with vmware to check the AppleVIAATA.kext and the IOATAFamily.kext, and both were missing the lines that I added in. So I added the lines back in, corrected permissions etc. And then booted natively to arrive with a "IOATAController device blocking bus" error.

Now I've done a quick search on the forums and found a very old thread ( http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...hl=blocking+bus ) where somebody said, use the IOATAFamily.kext from the Darwin 8.0.1 CD. I might give this a go using the latest Darwin CD, see what happens.

My other idea is to just simply delete the AppleVIAATA.kext from the extensions folder, and just leave it in the IOATAFamily.kext's plugins. And vice versa. I will inform you all, what happens.

Also, ALOT of errors (kept just flooding the screen) about the core graphics and windows server, or something like that, but I will try and fix that with the new Nvidia Driver Beta released a few days ago, see if that makes any difference.

EDIT 2: S***! Now I can't even boot into it using vmware!

Just had a thought about the "IOATAController device blocking bus" error whilst looking at a screenie in this thread - http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...=0&gopid=82213&

I'm no genuis, but can't we add in the DeviceID's of the Nvidia Bus Enumerator into whatever it is that controlls the IOATAController? I don't even know if they are the same! But I am seriously sick of not being able to get this to work now!

EDIT: IOATABlockStorage.kext I think is probrably a good place to start looking....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>IOATABlockStorage</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>1.4.1, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 1998-2004</string>
<string>com.apple.iokit.IOATABlockStorage</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>IOATABlockStorage</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.4.1</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.4.1</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>IOATABlockStorage</key>
	<dict>
		<string>com.apple.iokit.IOATABlockStorage</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>IOATABlockStorageDriver</string>
		<key>IOCommandPoolSize</key>
		<integer>32</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOATADevice</string>
		<key>Physical Interconnect</key>
		<string>ATA</string>
		<key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
		<string>Internal</string>
		<key>ata device type</key>
		<string>ata</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
<string>1.0.0</string>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily</key>
	<string>1.5.1d1</string>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily</key>
	<string>1.0.0</string>
	<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>
	<string>1.0.0</string>
	<key>com.apple.kernel.mach</key>
	<string>1.0.0</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Local-Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

im pretty sure it is its the one i gave to a friend, he patched the DVD and is using sata now.. piratebay is down perhaps thats why its not working.

oh well you prolly know better than me, after all i don't {censored} someone else is the uploader and the maker

I got it to boot natively after booting up with my Install DVD and trying to repair the permissions. It still appears to leaves loads of error's but it worked (only the once though, I think it was a fluke)

But I also left my CD drive open, and I noticed that I didn't have as many IO error's. Maybe this might work for some of you? As I read somewhere, that this error is caused by IDE drives (ie. the CD drive) so it may or may not help.

• 2 months later...