Acer 3680 Retail 10.6.4 successfull install + guide!

fayze

126 posts in this topic

maxo0:

the battery management is a bit weird. you might need to throw out all the related files and boot once without them, then put them back and see if itll work. it can sometimes work or not work for no reason.

as far as the shutdown issue, im not sure. mine does that sometimes too. i think its related to the lan or wireless card. if im on wireless, it kernel panics on shutdown. if im on lan, it may shutdown completely or it may not. just random chance. i havnt had enough time / knowledge to look into it.

eMac375:

alright good luck man.

Thanks Fayze,

Gonna buy my new hard drive for the Acer 3680 specifically for the iDeneb install soon. Will take a look at the Acer.zip instructions and give it a go. If I get stuck, I post some questions.

Much appreciated.

eMac375

Additional questions.

The file Acer-3680.zip has all the drivers for a 10.4.11 (Tiger) install. Will these same drivers (Acer-3680.zip) work, if I decide to install iDeneb 10.5.5 instead?

Or do I need to install the drivers / files from AppleHDA.kext.zip , IO80211Family.kext.zip and IONetworkFamily.kext.zip ?

Or do I need to install all of the above? :D

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

eMac375

yeah the reason the drivers are from Tiger is because they work. the Leopard ones dont, so we use the Tiger ones. the guide is for an iDeneb 10.5.5 install, so it will work fine. its what im currently using in my laptop.

Fayze:

Trying to get the mike and headphones to work. Internal speakers work out of the box with Azalia audio. Most audio fixes i've tried kill shutdown on me.

I just downloaded the files in your first post and have a few questions.

1. ALC 883 installer quits with an error message-contact the mfg. I used an earlier one but it only gives me sound through the headphones-no internal speaker option.

2.Where does the Acer3680.plist file go? Will this map the proper audio pin config for a 3680?

I have some feedback for all on my progress:

Could not get any 10.5 distro to boot after I changed cpu. Finally with the fix detailed below I settled on iATKOS 5i

Adding the CPUS=1 to your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist inside the kernel flags tags enabled single core boot

I found out that I needed the idlehalt=0 boot flag to enable both cores in OSX but this resulted in 60-80 degrees celsius cpu temperature. Cooling was not a problem with the original CeleronM 520

GenericCPUPowerManagement http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

cooling kext (works with speedstep cpu) for 3680 with cpu mod T2250 T5200 T5300. I have T5200 YMMV with the others. Heard you could go to T7200! CPU temp 40-42c at idle(800mhz) and 50-55 max (1600mhz). Battery life is around 3 hours with larger 6600 mAh battery (original battery died)

Wireless(168c,001a)has always more or less worked as long as VEN ID is in Atheros4524.kext- except in 10.5 could not connect using WPA2. Have not tried WEP. Currently using IO80211from Atheros5005 pkg from iAtkos2.0 but I have tried the older one from 10.4.5 and it too would only connect to unencrypted wireless. Read somewhere that it is not wise to use 10.4 kext with 10.5 makes sense right?

This brings me to the fix.

In 2007 chipxsd mentioned It seems airport successfully connects to a secured wireless access point using networksetup command in shell. I could not do this because of another problem I had with all x86 distros. The sudo command does not work from terminal type sudo -s press enter - it asks for password try to type in the password field and no keystrokes are recorded. But I figured a workaround.

Have to enable the root user, enter a password for root (have it as blank on my primary admin account-could this be the problem?) . So here's what I did to connect WPA2. boot 10.5.5 to everyday user with AirPort on. Connect dialog asks if you want to join encrypted network. Ignore it. Log out. Log in as root. open terminal type in:

networksetup -setairportnetwork <ssid> <password>

Check connection. Log out log in to desired user account. AirPort works with WPA encryption!!!

Update: Since I have at triple boot from the internal hard drive sometimes after shutting down from Windows XP I loose the wireless driver on the next startup from os X. The fix is to boot into Vista enable the wireless adapter with the wireless switch and connect to my wireless network restart the laptop into os X. then the wireless adapter is seen and the above method works.

I'm getting there almost a usable hackbook.

Another really useful utility is osx86tools <http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=104754> mods required using OSX86Tools

enable Quartz GL, modify boot plist, repair permissions,view pci device vendor ids install uninstal kexts (automatically repair permissions)

<br />yeah the reason the drivers are from Tiger is because they work. the Leopard ones dont, so we use the Tiger ones. the guide is for an iDeneb 10.5.5 install, so it will work fine. its what im currently using in my laptop.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Awesome, thanks for the clarification Fayze, and all the leg work you've down for the rest of us.

My project is still a GO...keep you all posted.

Best Regards,

eMac375

22silk:

the Acer3680.plist file is just a reference. its not actually needed anymore. its what you use to pump through the hex creator to make the hex string you need to put in your boot.plist. the boot.plist i have in the zip already has the string in it for you.

good luck on getting the headphones & mic to work. mine might have worked at one time, but if forgot how. now i think my headphone jack is physically broken, so i gave up on it. i knew about the wpa connection problem, but have never cared since wep is more commonly used. thats a good little write up on how to get it to work though, thanks for that. i also had the problem with the wireless not activating. its really strange, and very annoying. i would have ditched the windows partition if it werent for needing it to reactivate the card when mac says "no airport card" or whatever the error was.

emac375:

no problem man, have fun. post if you have any problems / success.

• 3 weeks later...
I am pretty much a newb at this hackinstosh stuff.

I have a Acer 3680-2682 model laptop and recently upgraded the CPU / Processor from a Celeron M to Core Dual T2250. See link below:

http://www.moneyaccumulator.com/205/upgrad...ssor-or-higher/

Now I would like to install Mac OS X on a new hard drive.

1. I've downloaded iDeneb 10.5.5

2. Acer_3680_10.5.6.zip

3. AppleHDA.kext.zip

4. IO80211Family.kext.zip

5. IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Like I said I'm kind of a newb at installing Mac OS X drivers, not to Macs ( I own an eMac).

So my question is After installing the iDeneb 10.5.5 on the Acer 3680...How the heck do I go about installing the files (kext, pkg) in all the ZIP files now?

I'm new to the forum and Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :(

I did the same thing with my 3680. Upgraded from the Celeron M to a Core 2 Duo T5300. The only problem is, Mac won't load anymore unless I use either idlehalt=0 or cpus=1. The boot sequence freezes at IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87 and doesnt go past that.

how did you do the swap:

(a.) installed on core 2 duo

(b.) install with the celeron m, then switch to core 2 duo, then now on boot it gives errors

if (a.), then you might need to find a modified version of the IOAPIC kext. if (b.), then it might fix by simply reinstalling.

actually, i just found this thread, see if you can try to change those bios settings.

how did you do the swap:

(a.) installed on core 2 duo

(b.) install with the celeron m, then switch to core 2 duo, then now on boot it gives errors

if (a.), then you might need to find a modified version of the IOAPIC kext. if (b.), then it might fix by simply reinstalling.

actually, i just found this thread, see if you can try to change those bios settings.

i originally installed it on the celeron, then switched to the core 2 duo, but since then ive reinstalled and still had the issue. the link you posted is of no use to me, as the bios of the 3680 wasnt designed to have a dual core processor in the first place :) though i am interested in the modified IOAPIC. would you mind linking me to that so i can test it out? thanks!

I did the same thing with my 3680. Upgraded from the Celeron M to a Core 2 Duo T5300. The only problem is, Mac won't load anymore unless I use either idlehalt=0 or cpus=1. The boot sequence freezes at IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87 and doesnt go past that.

If you can boot with idlehalt=0 then you could insert the

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>idlehalt=0 -v</string>

in the boot.plist in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

Or you could download osx86tools from http://######.com/osx86tools/ and use the add efistrings/boot flags option as well as the install kexts feature to do the same

hey fayze -_-

Good to see that you still maintaining this thread.

I have not yet upgraded to 10.5.6 yet, I'm still on 10.5.5. Any special precautions that I need to know before I do the upgrade?

To everyone else who upgraded their processor: what chipset are you using? Mine is 940 GML. Just wondering if I can go higher than T1350 that I currently use.

:rolleyes:

yeah man i do what i can. still no expert though. i was just about to pm you cause i remembered you upgraded your cpu as well. any ideas on what the problems these guys are having?

as far as updating to 10.5.6: back up first! i tried to jump from 10.5.4 and it panic'd in the middle of the update. so i had to wipe and reinstall, and then just started at 10.5.5 then updated. make sure you do the rm script, i tried it without and i figure thats why it messed up. if youre running vanilla still, youll need to patch your dsdt file. if not, you should be fine.

also, a few questions for you:

have you ever successfully wiped the hdd and restored to a fully working, booting leopard install? cause i cant seem to get it to work. i have to just install fresh, then use migration assistant to copy all my {censored} over. not as simple, but it works.

and does your headphone jack work with the hex strings? or injectors? i know mine did at one point, but i cant figure out if it physically broke or an update caused it to not work.

my headphone jack is working atm, I just need to select appropriate sound output in system preferences. i haven't updated my system to 10.5.6 yet, so i'm not sure whats wrong with your headphone jack.

and I never restored my system, I never had any backup anyway. probably you need to set bootloader again after you restored your backup. I think the backup does not include any bootloader setting. I never used ideneb or kalyway, so I'm not sure how they set up the bootloader. I still use efi v8, and i use windows bootloader bcdedit to set my boot settings.

anyway how do i patch dsdt? I haven't been using mac for ages now. Is it really needed for 10.5.6 update?

:rolleyes:

edit: I'm not sure about cpu problem that everyone mentioned because I only manage to change my cpu to core solo, not dual core. probably they have different chipset, mine is 940GML.

hi just a quick update though

my hack is not working anymore.. i dont know what's wrong.. installed pc efi v9, patched dsdt (with error though) and proceed to update. now cannot boot, waiting for root device error.

i think it was the problem with dsdt, or pc efi was not installed correctly. i don't know what to do now, probably I would just reformat it later on.

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

So i'm still waiting on a way to fix the idlehalt=0 or cpus=1 problem that i have. i've had m bootflags set to idlehalt=0 for a while now, and use speedstep so that the temps stay low (800 MHz with no idle stays ALOT cooler than 1733 MHz with no idle) I just with i could find a hacked bios or something for the 3680 that allows me to run dual core, with no special boot flags! i finally got sleep working on my 3680, so this is the last issue i'm facing.

yeah i dont really know what to suggest. never seen a hacked bios or kext that fixed it. you could try making your own post, but thats the only thing left to do really. other than just wait and search.

how did you get sleep working? are you able to get yours to go into deep sleep (no power)? i had to switch my wireless card to a broadcom 4306 to get it to attempt to sleep, but it wont hibernate because something goes wrong with the creation of the sleep image.

well i was surprised when sleep started working. I had just reinstalled 10.5.5 from iATKOS v5i and let it sit for a while, and when i came back it was aslep, i moved the mouse around and it woke back up. its not deep sleep, just regular sleep, as i deleted the hibernation file to free up HDD space. but i bet if i worked at it i could get hibernation/deep sleep working as well.

thats incredible. please let me know if that ever works out. all acer users would like to have deep sleep working. and some would just appreciate regular sleep. did you install any special packages with iatkos?

nope nothing really special. just a pretty standard install. it keeps telling me that the hibernation file is garbage on bootup, but regular sleep works fine. if i figure out a way to get deep sleep working, i'll let you know.

EDIT: beautiful! i got deep sleep working! this has just made my day!