Acer 3680 Retail 10.6.4 successfull install + guide!

fayze

126 posts in this topic

hey silk,

I'm currently using retail dvd, installed from a working usb installation. Then I updated to 10.5.3 using combo update. Then I deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Before the first boot after installation, I installed few kexts:

dsmos.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext - mac.nub version

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext - edited info.plist

AppleHDA.kext

AppleACPIPlatform - I used vanilla version, plus AppleACPIPowerSource.kext and AppleACPIThermal.kext inside the plugins folder

Then I copied my edited com.apple.Boot.plist, chmod and chown in properly.

Anyway I think our chipset is different, mine is 940GML, and that is why I can only upgrade to T1350. 8086:27B9 I think is for ICH7 LPC bridge or the southbridge, not the 943. For me the 940GML chipset id is 8086:27A0. Which version of AppleACPIPlatform are you using now? And do you manage to boot into Windows properly or is there any problem? Have you upgraded your bios to the newest version? I'm using bios v 1.3508. Sorry for a lot of questions, I don't really know why you cannot boot from the dvd as well. What message appeared when you fail to boot? Hopefully we can try to work out why.

Sorry but I'm not really familiar with Tiger, I never used any of it. Probably I can just help with Leopard.

;)

Here you go..just make sure the version you set in ACPIPS2Nub info.plist have the same version of AppleACPIPlatform you use. I also attached my IONetworkingFamily for ethernet fix, maybe you can try it for your laptop for -f boot problem.

:hysterical:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

hey silk,

Anyway I think our chipset is different, mine is 940GML, and that is why I can only upgrade to T1350. 8086:27B9 I think is for ICH7 LPC bridge or the southbridge, not the 943. For me the 940GML chipset id is 8086:27A0. Which version of AppleACPIPlatform are you using now? And do you manage to boot into Windows properly or is there any problem? Have you upgraded your bios to the newest version? I'm using bios v 1.3508. Sorry for a lot of questions, I don't really know why you cannot boot from the dvd as well. What message appeared when you fail to boot? Hopefully we can try to work out why.

Sorry but I'm not really familiar with Tiger, I never used any of it. Probably I can just help with Leopard.

:P

Sorry for the confusion in my post. CPU ID in windows ids my chipset unclearly: It says 940/943GML and doesn't specify which. So I guess mine is 943 The RightMark CPU Clock ute in Windoze XP says ICH7M(U) (8086:27B9). I can throttle the core 2 to 50% in XP and get over 3hrs on battery if I use it for web browsing and e-mail only. I want to be able to do the same in Leo.

I do not know which ACPIPlatform I am using, but I think that is the key to my booting problems and will look into the Mac.nub stuff you are using. I had one of his tiger installs 10.4.10 i think but never was able to get it to work.

I boot Vista, XP both NTFS and Mac HSF+ from three primary partitions disk0s1,disk0s2,disk0s4 on the internal 250GB WD SATA drive. Fourth primary partition is Fat32 disk0s3 for swapping files.The trick for me was to install Vista first (can only do 32bit as MBR)enable the MultiBoot Selection menu F12 in the BIOS (am using v1.3508) and use the darwin bootloader to switch between partitions/systems. Vista and XP both boot from the"C" drive using Easy BCD. Some Osx installs damage the windows bootloader but a Vista emergency startup disk lets me get to diskpart.exe to flag the Vista partition active and then I can use the recovery disk to repair the MBR so Vista can boot again. Easy BCD restores the XP bootloader and then I can try another macOSX install. The TOH Leo 10.5 install hosed my MBR but I was able to recover with this method.I keep osx on the last primary so that I can resize it and the swap partition if I want to.I put the original 80GB drive in an external case and have Leo 10.5.2 TOH on it disk1s1.This is accessed by F12 boot menu and darwin bootloader.

I really want one leo install if I can get the wireless WPA2 to work. When I plug in my external usb with the Leo install and try to boot -v interestingly no kexts are shown to load(they used to with the Celeron520CPU).

See attached picture of boot screen.

Will look at your stuff this week but I'm out of town for the next few days.Thanks for your info.

post-156466-1213141845_thumb.jpg

yo ed, have you tried to use external monitors with yours? i used to in 10.4.11 and it was fine, but a friend of mine had trouble with his hackintosh and external monitor, so i tried it on mine. everything freezes up as soon as i plug it in. i was able to get it not frozen once, but instead it just glitched all over the screen. the mouse moved, but i couldnt actually see anything correctly to click on. any ideas?

so i finally got around to looking at these IONetworking files. i did a compare with TextWrangler and found something in AppleYukon2 plugin Info.plist. my version is 3.1.4b11 and yours is 3.1.10b2. this was different in 3 places. i dont know if there are other differences in the other plugin files, but im going to try swapping yours for mine and seeing if i can boot it without -f and have working ethernet.

edit: it worked, im going to look around in the other files later and see whats up. also, im going to try to make the switch to the hex strings and ditch the injectors. finally. haha.

edit 2: found no differences in all the other files. changed the 3 version numbers that were different in my AppleYukon2.kext Info.plist and used my IONetworking kext and all is well. im now using the hex string instead of the injectors, and i really cant tell much of a difference between it and the injectors. ive updated my guide to give people the option of choosing between the two, and how to get the ethernet working.

@silk

have you tried rebooting with cpus=1 ?

probably try

-v -f cpus=1

see if you can just use 1 core

@fayze

yeah i've just tried using external monitor, and it was fine. detected straightaway, with full QE/CI. I also can adjust the resolution to native 1440x900 for my external. Have you tried using it again after you tried hex string? From what I know, our GMA 950 is natively supported, with no editing of any kext. The string main function is to inject internal monitor properties, as it was not detected properly. If you try booting without any graphic injectors or kext modification, you will end up with plain blue screen. However if you connect external monitor, it will be detected.

Anyway I tried your AppleHDA.kext, and now my shutdown is working. However it seems that sometime there is some problem with powermanagement.bundle that I use to display battery status, which give shutdown problem. Trying to find solution for that. Apart from that, all is working well, sleep and restart etc.

;)

my shutdown is working. sleep is on the way, i have my card, just have to install it. and depending on whether or not it decides to fuxor the system i might have to zero the drive then reinstall to get it recognized correctly. any suggestions on how to do this? i was thinking to switch back to the original IO80211Family.kext then fix permissions and rm -f the Extensions.mkext then shutdown and swap cards and reboot and cross fingers. sound good?

and i dont know whats up with the external displays. i did try it once the hex strings were in place. the NVkushInstaller.pkg might have changed something. if so, i have no idea what to do. im going to try to get rid of the monitor settings in a minute and see if that fixes it, since im now using the hex strings.

yeah just swap back to original IO80211 kext, I'd recommend you to use kexthelper, as it also rebuild the cache before reboot. Anyway it's up to you, and probably repair permissions using disk utility as well.

and for the external monitor, try and see using pacifist to see what the nvkushinstaller package install to your system, and try to revert back to all graphics vanilla kext. don't forget to remove other injectors as well.

Good luck with your new wireless card!!

:hysterical:

Edit: I checked NVkush and it installs NVkush.kext. Try to find it and remove to check.

ill try the kexthelper.

and i did move them. i mv'd NVkush.kext and Natit.kext to kext.nothing. that usually renders them useless. i deleted all prefs for monitors and its made some improvement. it didnt freeze the system, but it mirrors the displays by default and its all screwed up. i cant see anything, which means i cant turn it off. do you happen to know a way to do this, like a hot key or something? i would make an applescript but i need to know what the window looks like.

sorry but I don't really know any hot key to change display setting. Probably you can try Fn+F6 to turn the internal monitor off.

Edit: Maybe you can try and edit /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

There are some options about mirroring, edit for both displays and see if it works

yeah i dont know what happened, but now it started locking up again when i plug in the ext. monitor.

got the new wifi card in, but as with last time, it says 'no card installed'. i dont know what to do. last time all i did was pull out the stock card to look at it, then put it back in. then it said that. ive tried chown, chmod, rm Extensions.mkext, disktutil repair permissions, boot -f, -v, update, nothing helps. the only thing i know to do is to reinstall. oh well, all my stuff is backed up. and maybe it will fix the display {censored} too. i can only hope.

ed did you have to modify the IO802...kext for Broadcom? like to add the ven and dev id into the plist and then do the en0 to en1? or did it just work as soon as you plugged it in?

edit: wait, i see now that youre using atheros and not broadcom. hmm.. i guess ill try to edit the plist if it doesnt work right off.

yea i did try to use a broadcom chip before, I think it was Dell 1400. I tried editing the latest version of IO80211.kext by inserting my id in the plist. When I restart the kext was loaded but it was not working. It was probably due to incompatible kext, or because of the physical switch. In the end I did manage to get it working by using tiger kext, the same one for the original atheros 5005 card. I inserted my id in AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext plugins inside IO80211.kext. I was quite frustrated by that, so I decided to buy atheros 5008. Luckily it works OOB, but the price was a bit expensive. Anyway I got wireless N now, so I'm quite happy.

:)

well damn. cause thats exactly what im trying to do right now. you say you got it working though right? using an old tiger kext? were you able to sleep it with that? if so, could you attach the tiger kext if you still have it. if not, looks like im going to buy a new wireless card. again.

oh okay. ill try that then. but sadly i think that will kill my sleep functionality. which is lame.

also, im using the hex string now, and my audio isnt working. im not sure if something is different between our audio chips or not. very strange. if i have to use the injectors for audio it wont be the worst thing though.

oh. i didnt know that the ALC883 installed a modded AppleHDA. but anyways its working now. and the airport is too. it can now sleep, but will panic after the wake up if i try to use the wireless. which is really lame. im going to mess with the two kexts from tiger and leopard and see if some ridiculous splicing of the two will make it work. i highly doubt it, but im incredibly bored. thanks for all the help.

ed, anyone, do you have your internal mic working? this was brought to my attention the other day and i dont think mine works. i couldve sworn it did in 10.4.11, but i dunno now.

also, i found out that my ext display that i was testing with was just {censored}, so i can plug up to most other than that one and it will work. no progress on a fully working wireless and sleep.