Acer 3680 Retail 10.6.4 successfull install + guide!

fayze

126 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

Fayze. First let me thank you for posting your findings. I have the same hardware as your Acer and have formatted the entire machine (for reasons other than installing Kalyway) What I plan on doing is basically the same steps you have made to get to 10.5.4.

My problem I'm running into already is with the BIOS. My machine came stock with lesser BIOS software called PhoenixBIOS. Did you have to disable the SATA drive? My BIOS does not allow that and I'm yet to find a workaround.

Also I am aware that there are many Drivers to choose from when installing Kalyway Vanilla. Which did you use and how will I know what to select?

Finally the two packages you uploaded contained different drivers I'm assuming. Are those installs to work with after Leopard is up and running?

Regards and thank you for your hard work and continuned Support.

My problem I'm running into already is with the BIOS. My machine came stock with lesser BIOS software called PhoenixBIOS. Did you have to disable the SATA drive? My BIOS does not allow that and I'm yet to find a workaround.
mine doesnt have sata, so i didnt have to worry about it. if you cant turn it off, you can try pulling out the drive and installing onto an external drive and then putting it back inside once its installed.

Also I am aware that there are many Drivers to choose from when installing Kalyway Vanilla. Which did you use and how will I know what to select?
i listed the main packages i selected. i havnt had to install in a long time now (amazingly) so i dont know if there are other options that need to be selected.

Finally the two packages you uploaded contained different drivers I'm assuming. Are those installs to work with after Leopard is up and running?
yes everything from my zips are to be done after leopard is installed. the guide should make it clear enough. post if you have any more questions.

oh boy. i had this happen to a friend recently. i think the dvd didnt burn right, or something during the download messed up. if you know how to make an md5 checksum, do that on your disc and compare to what the tracker says. if its different, then see if the dl will fix itself, or dl a new one. you could also try burning a new disc, but if the dl is messed up, then that wont help you much.

Actually Fayze it looks like this problem is everywhere. Turns out I need a SATA connected DVD drive to boot the disc. Not sure why your system did not need it.

If you get a chance please confirm you have the same specs as I do http://mroing.com/i6Zx

Anyways I am attempting to patch Kalyway with a patch known as Chameleon with PPF. Hopefully it works.

yeah man post any results / methods you had to use here so that others can use it for reference. and if you have problems then post those too. and yeah i think the laptops are basically the same. slight difference in processor but should be close enough to not make problems.

yeah man post any results / methods you had to use here so that others can use it for reference. and if you have problems then post those too. and yeah i think the laptops are basically the same. slight difference in processor but should be close enough to not make problems.

Hey Fayze. I have successfully installed 10.5.2 Kalyway. Unfortunatly the USB, Ethernet and Wifi drivers have not installed. I'm wondering How I can at least manually get the USB ports up!

Also I tried to no avail installing the 10.5.3 combo update from Apple.com and it seem to have messed things up to the tune of my having to install alll over again. Can you assist me in how to upgrade?

Finally I have added you in AIM, hope thats ok. If you get a chance to chat that would be grand!

Regards.

I got everything working as Fayze put it.

Just one thing. Updated to 10.5.5 and it broke the audio. Going to try to fix it with the kext here and update later.

I think it's best to go from 10.5.3/10.5.2 then use the 10.5.4 combined update from kalyway.

Fayze. Your tutorials are great and I'm finding them useful in some respects. However I am still yet to get ethernet or wifi enabled.

I have had some support and even an installer built using your kext. Perhaps you could take a look at it or at least tell me if there is something wrong with the kext.

10.5.3 atm

Thanks alot.

Acer3680_10.5.3.zip

the ethernet kexts are 2 of 3. you need to use the two i provide, which are chun-nan's. backup your originals then copy the modified ones to extensions. the third is just editing the IONetworkingFamily.kext. i believe all these work because i have used them myself, as well as others.

the wifi is simply the tiger kext with the added string for the wifi card. if your card is different you might have to add a different one. if you can boot to windows you can check your dev and ven ids to make sure they match.

• 2 months later...

Fayze,

After upgrading to 10.5.6 I lost the ability to use TimeMachine. I get an error Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found.. Also the Airport Menu Bar Icon always stays gray, even when connected.

Are you having these "problems"? Any ideas on how to fix these issues?

...yeah, time machine is a problem. i had to trash NetworkInterfaces.plist, reboot, then remove all network devices, reboot, and then re add them to get time machine to work. finally it did, but i lost all my old backups. i had to erase all the data on the TM drive and start anew.

as for the airport being grey, i dont know about that one. maybe deleting the interface and readding it in the time machine process will fix it.

one question though, did you go from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 or some other way?

Thanks Fayze. deleting the NetworkInterfacePreferences.plist and preferences.plist did fix TimeMachine. Still greyed Airport Menu Icon though. I take it you don't have any issues with the greyed Airport Icon?

I upgraded from 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6. BTW I don't think AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from 10.5.6 causes any problems on the 3680. I have enabled/disabled w/o any differences, so the install script to remove it during installation isn't needed.

...yeah, time machine is a problem. i had to trash NetworkInterfaces.plist, reboot, then remove all network devices, reboot, and then re add them to get time machine to work. finally it did, but i lost all my old backups. i had to erase all the data on the TM drive and start anew.

as for the airport being grey, i dont know about that one. maybe deleting the interface and readding it in the time machine process will fix it.

one question though, did you go from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 or some other way?

yeah i dont think the script was needed either, but better safe than sorry. its not too hard to type.

and no i dont have a problem with my wireless. i had to rehack it though, replacing IO80211Family.kext and all. so that might have solved my problem. you could try removing it from the menu and readding it, seeing if that will fix it. dunno. not really sure.

I am pretty much a newb at this hackinstosh stuff.

I have a Acer 3680-2682 model laptop and recently upgraded the CPU / Processor from a Celeron M to Core Dual T2250. See link below:

http://www.moneyaccumulator.com/205/upgrad...ssor-or-higher/

Now I would like to install Mac OS X on a new hard drive.

1. I've downloaded iDeneb 10.5.5

2. Acer_3680_10.5.6.zip

3. AppleHDA.kext.zip

4. IO80211Family.kext.zip

5. IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Like I said I'm kind of a newb at installing Mac OS X drivers, not to Macs ( I own an eMac).

So my question is After installing the iDeneb 10.5.5 on the Acer 3680...How the heck do I go about installing the files (kext, pkg) in all the ZIP files now?

I'm new to the forum and Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :P

not really, it should store it for you. my hardware is different, so if it doesnt, its probably because whatever kext you hacked isnt working all that well. i had to do that once, but it was sorted out with updates. the only suggestion i can give is to repair permissions on the kext you modified. i guess you could also try trashing the NetworkInterfaces.plist, or bumping the wireless from en0 to en1 (or any other number its not).

Hi Fayze.

First, thanks for your tutorial & your help.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2, updated it to 10.5.5, wich evrything (exept bluetooth), was working fine.

I updated to 10.5.6 and now i have several problems :

- No battery management (even if I do exactly what you've said in your tutorial)

- My computer doesn't shutdown anymore ! When i'm in verbose mode, and i click "shutdown" it says : CPU Halted ; then screen shuts down, but the computer is running.

I read it was about PinConfig or something like that.

Could you help me ?

Thx

theres a guide in the Acer zip file. itll step you through how to install all the kexts and other miscellaneous files. but if you still have questions, please post here.

Thanks Fayze,

Gonna buy my new hard drive for the Acer 3680 specifically for the iDeneb install soon. Will take a look at the Acer.zip instructions and give it a go. If I get stuck, I post some questions.

Much appreciated.

eMac375