Acer 3680 Retail 10.6.4 successfull install + guide!

fayze

126 posts in this topic

notes:

> this was done by installing a retail 10.6.3 disc from HOTiSO, then using software update to 10.6.4

> i have changed my wireless card and therefore do not have to use the tiger kext for it. it is still included and should work, but if it doesnt i wont know how to fix it.

progress:

> laptop is fully working. all files were collected through my many installs and attempts at having a successfully hacked mac on my acer. full credit goes to the original modders of the files, and much thanks for their work. sorry if i cant remember where i got them from, or cant tell who the creators were.

updates:

6-17-08: fully working! lan, wifi, sound, pcmcia, QE/CI all functional & recognized.

6-19-08: realized that the PowerManagement.bundle was the incorrect one, fixed and reuploaded zip file.

6-23-08: modified apple hda kext included for hex string method, as it was missing. also updated the guide to include new steps needed to use it.

7-28-08: updated to 10.5.4 using software update

1-1-09: updated to 10.5.6!

1-19-09: crashed system and found mistakes in the guide. updated and reuploaded acer 3680 zip.

?-??-08: switched out wireless card so that it would work OOB and enable sleep

8-13-09: retail install!!

7-12-10: snow leopard 10.6.4 retail

been a long time, sorry for the wait. but i was busy the past year developing iphone apps, and with iOS 4.0 out, i figured i finally had to update for it.

once again i have uploaded the guide separately so you can look at it first. the zip contains the guide and all files you will need, minus the boot disc to load the retail. the old boot 132 from my retail leopard guide might work, but i used Empire EFI. i have also include a reference for my kext modifications. i have removed the scripts i had, because i dont have enough free time to update them. if i had enough forethought when i originally made them, they might still work, but no guarantees so i removed them from this guide. if you feel like fixing them and uploading them, let me know. ill review & test and include in my zip if they look sound.

post or pm if this helps, or if you need help. i can attempt to answer, but if not, hopefully someone else can. good luck!

Leopard Retail

retail_hack_guide.rtf10.5 Retail

Snow Leopard Retail

10.6_retail_hack_guide.rtf10.6 Retail

wow really?! you have your lan and pci card slot working? thats amazing. ive wanted them to work for the longest time so that mine would be 100% hacked. ill look into it, and update my guide if i have any success. thanks for mentioning it regardless.

anyway do you use any of the gfx-string so that you don't have to use injectors?

if you want my hex-string to insert into your com.boot.Apple.plist, I can give it to you.

good to know someone with same hardware

:thumbsup_anim:

P/s i see you include nvkushinstaller.pkg, may I ask what is it for?

when i did the update to 10.5.3, it got stuck on the loading blue screen. this happened before with the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0. So to fix it in the same way, I dropped Natit.kext into Extensions. This allowed it to boot, but I had no QE/CI. so i read somewhere that to fix it you could use the NVkushinstaller.pkg. This was supposed to make Natit unnecessary, but it still was. I tried dropping NVkush and Natit, to see if one would give me QE/CI, but it turns out i need both. not sure why, and didnt really investigate. you have QE/CI with the gfx string right?

i wouldnt mind having the gfx string, as an alternative to injectors. but is it really faster or have any advantage? ill edit it into my guide as well.

one question about the IOPCIFamily-ness. did you do anything special to make yours work? like moving airport from en1 to en0? i dropped the files (v8) in my extensions but nothing happened. i guess no kernel panic is always good, but i didnt gain any ethernets either. i would love to have this fully working if you can help.

and yeah, its always good to have a friend.

I used PCCard10.5.2.beta3.mpkg for my ethernet, but in that package it contains both IOPCIFamily.kext and IOPCCardFamily.kext. I read somewhere that the PCCard is supported by vanilla kext, the IOPCIFamily.kext is to help in detecting the card. So I just used IOPCIFamily.kext from the package, extracted using pacifist. And then I used kext helper b7 to install it.

Anyway what are your dev-ids for GMA 950, ethernet and PC Card? Just to make sure that you have the same as me.

For GMA 950, I did use natit before, I think the problem with me was the internal screen is not detected, just external screen works. When I used natit, everything works fine. So I just include everything injected from natit into gfx-string, convert it to hex string, insert into com.boot.Apple.plist and then I don't need to use natit anymore.

I dunno really if there is any advantage of using hex-string, just that it looks cleaner without all those injectors. Probably a bit faster if you force load all the kext (-v -f).

So if your dev-id is similar to me, then probably you can try hex-string as well.

^_^

it just kernel panicd. gotta boot to cd. damn it.

i replaced one of the kexts. not sure which now. mightve been the wrong one. ill find out in a minute.

EDIT: got it booted again, replacing with the beta .mpkg. i think the first time i used the .kext beta files, which i assumed would be the same, but i dont think they were. now its booted, and i saw a pci device when i did -v. but im not sure. ill edit once again with the ioreg dumps.

okay heres the dump file. rename to .ioreg. it wouldnt let me upload that type of file for some reason. i didnt really know what i was looking at, but i think i saw that the pccard bus was working, but i dont actually have a way of testing that. could you also post yours too, so that i could look around and try to see what mine shoul look like?

acerSpecs.txt

from the dump it seems that our hardware is the same

so to enable your ethernet, you need to include your dev-id in AppleYukon2.kext plugin in IONetworkingFamily

I replaced:

<key>Yukon-88E8053</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2</string>

<key>EnableLowPwr</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>yukon2osx</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x436211ab</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>MACNumber</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Model</key>

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string>

<key>NetworkNumber</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Vendor</key>

<string>Marvell</string>

</dict>

With:

<key>Yukon-88E8038</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2</string>

<key>EnableLowPwr</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>yukon2osx</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x435211ab</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>MACNumber</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Model</key>

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8038 Singleport Copper SA</string>

<key>NetworkNumber</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Vendor</key>

<string>Marvell</string>

</dict>

Restart with -v -f after you have replaced the IONetworkingFamily with the edited one

man i just about cried. i restarted -v -f, and it hung. i rebooted again -v only and it made it. but no ethernet. so i rebooted again -v -f. this time it made it, but ethernet didnt show up in network prefpane. but i was able to add it, and it works now!!! i never thought this would be possible. i thank you so much. ill add it to my guide now so that everyone can enjoy.

so happy. i feel complete.

so to other things, what was your gfx string? after watching my -v boots so many times, i was able to notice that it reads "unable to match graphics" or something or other like that. if yours doesnt do this and still has full QE/CI, i would say that is a plus. and i can also get rid of the NVkushinstaller and Natit kexts. to make it all simpler.

thanks for your help again, im sure everyone else with acer 3680's are just as appreciative. cause like i said, i had given up on it.

Congrats on your success!!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with efi-string, so I included both plist.

Acer3680.plist is the file I used to create the hex-string. In that plist, basically I injected three items, the first one on the list is for ALC883, so that we don't need to use ALCInject.kext. The second one is to fix Time Machine, but not sure whether it's still needed. The last one is for GMA 950. I set the model name to GMA 950 EFI, just so that when it's working we can see it from System Profiler.

So from the plist I converted the xml file to hex string. I then include the string into com.apple.Boot.plist. Then I copied it to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

So if you wanna try it out, be careful to set chown/chmod to com.apple.Boot.plist properly. If not, you might get kernel panic.

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

sudo chmod 644 com.apple.Boot.plist

sudo chown root:admin com.apple.Boot.plist

Before you restart, remove ALCInject and Natit or NVkush that you are using before, to see whether the EFI string is working or not.

Restart with -v -f

Good Luck!!! :P

Acer3680.plist.zip

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

yeah ive done some efi-string work before. i had to do it to get QE/CI on my desktop, but i had a guide to tell me how. so how did you convert the plist file to hex string? when i did it i had a custom terminal command called 'gfxutil'. also, where did you get the the dev properties from? once again, i had a util to do it for me. if possible i would like to get it as generic as possible for other users that might have tiny hardware differences that us. you know, just in case.

one thing though, why do you use 644 and root:admin? i use 755 and root:wheel. do you know whats the benefit/difference?

well basically I learned everything from netkas forum. I did my first string for my desktop as well, and I just changed few details to match my laptop.

Yeah I also used gfxutil to convert the plist to hex, and I just followed the guide at that forum.

Anyway the 644 root:admin command is from a guide by someone called minority at that forum. Probably because the location and the way that file loads is different from kext loading, so that's why it's different. I don't really know, but it works!!

Anyway did you manage to get it to work? Just wondering

:thumbsup_anim:

i havnt tried the hex string yet. im content for the moment. i have lab write ups to do that ive been putting off for a while, and now that ive finally reached an acceptable stopping point, i need to work on them. cause if i started screwing with those itll take a little time if it works, but even more if it doesnt. ill post back when i do.

yo ed, still got one problem. my laptop wont shutdown now with the ethernet working. screen goes black, but doesnt actually fully shutdown. ive tried unplugging the cable and disabling ethernet before shutting it off, but nothing makes it completely shut off. does yours do this? any ideas?

nah still gotta do it. ive been trying to mac a friends compaq so i kinda need mine to work while i was doing that. haha. ill probly get around to doing it today.

i did find that if i turn off airport and ethernet that it will shut down correctly. not really sure what that means though. im going to try and shut off airport only and see how that works. i think it has something to do with my old tiger kext being used for wireless.

also, i have to boot -f everytime to get the ethernet to load correctly. not the biggest problem if i just add it to my boot.plist, but still. would like to find out why its neccessary.

have you fixed permission using disk utility for IONetworkingFamily? probably that's why you need to boot with -f.

anyway mine never shut down properly, I don't know why. I did use wireless kext from tiger for AR5005G before, and I have to turn it off to make sure sleep works. Anyway I already changed my card to AR5008, and the card works OOB, and sleep works fine as well. I also changed my processor from Celeron M 430 to Core Solo T1350, and everything works just fine except for shutdown.

:D

hmm maybe i did forget. i dunno. ill try to run a permissions repair again and see if that helps.

ive got a dell 1450 mini pci on the way that im gonna swap out with mine so that i can use the default IO8---whatever.kext and sleep mine properly. if its the only thing keeping my laptop from shutting down correctly, then i should have proper sleep, restart, and shutdown soon enough. hopefully. we'll see.

EDIT: nope, didnt help. did chown, chmod, rm Extensions.mkext, restarted and no good. so i then did repair permissions in Disk Utility and restarted, but still no good. i dunno whats up. wish i could figure it out though, cause it would be nice to have it fixed.

i also tried turning off my wireless and shut it down, and it completely shut down for once. so i guess that will be fixed soon hopefully.

Edeseven :

Which os build and kexts do you use. I notice you have one with a Core solo

Fayze: Yeah The lan pci slot and wireless worked for me with the Celeron M using Kalyway 10.5.2 Only the wireless would not connect to WPA2. Using JAS 10.4.8 I had wireless and lan but no pci slot.

Then I changed the CPU to a Core2 Duo T5200 and neither setup would boot. I was able to install 10.4.10 with the 10.4.11 update using BlackCh’s PPF1 patch on the disk image- never worked on the Celeron M- and got wireless or lan not both and the pci slot working. Probably both would work with the proper preferences.plists. Azalia audio works for me internal speakers only on all trys, but now the CPU overheats 75C as opposed to 45C in windoze. The machine is really fast but I can’t use it as it overheats.

Any suggestions as to which kernel will have functional; cooling for this hybrid??

Acer 3680-2533 with celeron M 520 Quad boot Vista XP JAS 10.4.8, and Kalway 10.5.2 on external usb.

Now Acer 3680- Core 2 Duo T5200 2GB kingston value ram 533MHz 250GB sata internal, intel i943/940GML (8086:27B9)

ive heard something about the Thermal kexts causing overheating issuse, but havnt really read up on them. i think if you search it you can find a guide that might help.

and why the downgrade to 10.4? you couldnt get 10.5 to install because of the Core 2 Duo? that seems really odd, because others have had success with it. did you find anything out when booting the cd with -v?

Yeah. I know. After I replaced the CPU none of my mac os installs (uphuck 10.4.9 and Kalyway 10.5.1) will boot.

I tried to reinstall from the dvd's and this is what happens. TOH 10.5, kalway 10.5.1, uphuck 10.4.9 and TOH 10.4.8 will not even boot from the dvd. The freeze on these is after ACPIP loads.

Only a burn of 10.4.11 with BlackCh's PPF1 patch will boot the machine to osX. Thats what I installed and it has the cooling problem. I could not get it to work with the kernel for core 2 SSE3 EFI MBR Vanilla, only with the SSE3 noEFI 8.10.1 kernel. Perhaps it has to do with the intel i943/940GML. Maybe it does not support 64 bit.

If I could figure out how to patch those 4 DVD's then maybe I could get somewhere.

Only info I found on cooling related to Toshiba laptops not cooling properly and the guy did not have a fix.

Will post any progress I make.