ATI Radeon HD pkg installers 10.5.x & 10.6

lastExile

2,380 posts in this topic

lastExile I am running an Asus EAH2400Pro PCI-E with iDeneb v1.3 (OS X 10.5.5). The installer does not work, are you surprised?

Here is what I can describe:

Apple Logo booting screen loads, blue screen with cursor displays and as video output is being set, the monitor receives a whacked out signal and shuts off. There is still a signal going to my monitor, but it clearly doesn't "understand" it. No amount of "Graphics Mode", outside of buckling down to 800x600, will get things in gear.

Removing the Natit.kext, ATINDRV.kext, ATIRNDRV.kext did not change anything. ATIRadeonX2000.kext's Info.plist did not have my card's ID...0x94c31002 nor did I see 0x94c11002 oddly enough. Removing Natit.kext didn't change anything (Odd...since it looked like Natit setup the ATY stuff), and removing ATINDRV.kext and ATIRNDRV.kext resulted in a very garbled screen, which was unreadable.

Also to note, editing the RadeonX200.kext and adding my card's ID did not work either. I forget which Natit I'm using, but apparently my card is ID'd as an XT and not a Pro. Too bad I actually know 100% that I'm using a Pro.

Here is current Graphics/Display information:

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT:
 Chipset Model:	ATI Radeon HD 2400
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
 Device ID:	0x94c3
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 ROM Revision:	113-B1480A-236
 EFI Driver Version:	01.00.236
 Displays:
  Display:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Software
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported
 QuartzGL:	Supported
  Display Connector:

Look at page 43 of this topic, post of el_rocje, with this method my 2400pro 94c3 works fine

Giorgio

X2300 needs to be tested since its not in the same family as RadeonHD its in the x1xxx series tiger version will be up as soon as i have fixed other issues :wacko:

there are two versions :

1. Radeon Mobility X2300 M64 based on x1450 more info here

2. Radeon Mobility Radeon HD 2300 (M71 based on RV550 gpu) which i have and it works qe/ci on x1000 kexts but no res change (only 1024) and mouse artifact

need these to be tested report back

ATI Radeon HD 3650 PCie

ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP

Hi, I just arrived back home to my computer.

I tested HD3650 PCIe, it looks now much better, with 10.5.6 vanilla I can boot normally, the login screen is displayed correctly, also after login everything is clear to see, also all 512Mbyte of VRAM is detected, I forgot to mention in my last post that I am using DVI.

However QE/CI is not working yet, see attached screenshot.

Lot's of respect and keep on the good work.

Ps.: I can test again according to GMT+1 around 16-17 o'clock, good night :-)

post-148202-1231024786_thumb.png

ATI Radeon HD 3650 PCie

ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP

I downloaded the AGP package but i have the same problems.

With Natit.kext i have only black screen (with or without AGPgart, in normal or safe boot)

Without Natit i can only boot in safe mode with no resolutions, no qe/ci no network(??)

If i boot in normal mode without Natit i have same freezed image as before. If i boot with "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" it starts with the pixel and then change pixel motive with white squares in the center of monitor and pixels around.. then freeze.

Sorry for my english guys :(

I will try to get in the irc channel tomorrow to do more tests if needed

Thanks for your hard work

lastExile I am running an Asus EAH2400Pro PCI-E with iDeneb v1.3 (OS X 10.5.5). The installer does not work, are you surprised?

Here is what I can describe:

Apple Logo booting screen loads, blue screen with cursor displays and as video output is being set, the monitor receives a whacked out signal and shuts off. There is still a signal going to my monitor, but it clearly doesn't "understand" it. No amount of "Graphics Mode", outside of buckling down to 800x600, will get things in gear.

Removing the Natit.kext, ATINDRV.kext, ATIRNDRV.kext did not change anything. ATIRadeonX2000.kext's Info.plist did not have my card's ID...0x94c31002 nor did I see 0x94c11002 oddly enough. Removing Natit.kext didn't change anything (Odd...since it looked like Natit setup the ATY stuff), and removing ATINDRV.kext and ATIRNDRV.kext resulted in a very garbled screen, which was unreadable.

Also to note, editing the RadeonX200.kext and adding my card's ID did not work either. I forget which Natit I'm using, but apparently my card is ID'd as an XT and not a Pro. Too bad I actually know 100% that I'm using a Pro.

Here is current Graphics/Display information:

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT:
  Chipset Model:	ATI Radeon HD 2400
  Type:	Display
  Bus:	PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:	x16
  VRAM (Total):	256 MB
  Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:	0x94c3
  Revision ID:	0x0000
  ROM Revision:	113-B1480A-236
  EFI Driver Version:	01.00.236
  Displays:
Display:
  Resolution:	1024 x 768
  Depth:	32-bit Color
  Core Image:	Software
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported
  QuartzGL:	Supported
Display Connector:

I'm using the same card and same installer package with the modified kext and everything is working great. One thing to remember is that I think we still need a DVI to VGA adapter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that .

-avaya

So I just bought a Sapphire Ati HD 2400Pro 512MB after going through the wiki and selecting what I thought was a nice cheap replacement for my nvidia 7300GT 256mb card. Well the ass that put my new card on the wiki didn't actually test half of the ports on the card or really anything else....anyway here I am just like everyone else with a video card that isn't fully working.

I've got QE/CI working by updating the device ID in info.plist of atiradeonx2000.kext (from the latest netkas natit.kext file) ...simple, I like it nice and clean in there so I just deleted all the rest too. now checkout the attached image...I have QE/CI supported and you can see there are actually two displays connected and supposedly online (the VGA is online, the DVI...not so much). Both displays show the apple logo during the boot process and if you don't have any kext installed both displays work just mirrored and low resolution (but without QE/CI or any ability to change resolution).

My question is back in the early days of osx86 we used to have issues with dual display cards and we would have to basically map out the ports. I can't remember how this works and can't find anything that talks about it but I remember it being done. It's obvious that this card works there just seems to be something missing (the os is recognizing there is a monitor connected and it boots during the process the DVI just dies once the kext kicks in). Anyone remember how to do this?

post-17978-1231085734_thumb.jpg

I saw a post in this forum section about mapping ports. It is definitely here.

Anyhow, kernalzero, Did you only use Natit.kext from Feb 26, 2008? If so, can you redirect output of your Extensions folder into a text file and send me a private message? I think there are some conflicting kexts being loaded onto my system and not the usual NVInjects and all that.

Thanks, in advance

UPDATE #1:

I've got it now folks. Everything is working just fine when I boot with an LCD monitor...I can even switch monitors and it'll work on the CRT MONITOR. That is the problem right now, no CRTs are working at my house on this machine. It appears there are some OSX conflicts right now as per the system.log. Things in this area are throwing errors /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/Geometry.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/

UPDATE #2:

sh-3.2# cd /System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resources/VPT.monitorPanel/Contents/MacOS/
sh-3.2# ls
VPT
sh-3.2# cd ./Backup/
sh-3.2# ls
VPT.bak

I just started comparing the errors I was getting with some background knowledge and got the CRT going! A little more of an adventure than I was ready for and some long nights rebooting and rebooting and rebooting...

Anyhow, LastExile, my LCD and CRT both display video on the VGA port. The LCD worked right away, but the CRT took some toying.

i need these to be tested report back

ATI Radeon HD 3650 PCie

ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP

lastExile,

I have an ATI Radeon HD3650 Mobility PCIe which I'd be happy to try any drivers on. Is there a special driver for this or will the one you mention above work? I think that probably your driver is for the 9598 device ID but the mobility one is device ID 9591. Is there a special driver for this (and if so would you mind pointing me to it?) or should I use 9598 driver?

makepies

I have 2 computers. One with an ATI 3870 and one with an crossfire 2900xt. I install only the the ATIHD base and the actual video driver, plus the patched kernal and all applications, and the AMD patch. I am getting corruption on both computer. It works fine (actually it works perfect)at the boot prompt to hit -v -x but I don't want to do that for each boot and it looks like it boots in safe mode when I do that too. The corruption occurs at the same place each time. I have installed it for both computers on a clean install with only the drivers for the correct video card for whichever computer I am putting it on. Any help please!!!

X2300 needs to be tested since its not in the same family as RadeonHD its in the x1xxx series tiger version will be up as soon as i have fixed other issues :D

ATI Radeon HD 3650 PCie

ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP

With this driver I nearly have the same problem with old version.

With pci network card inserted the system restarts automatically, without I see only the wallpaper :(

And after install I can't boot in safe mode.

I have a sapphire ato hd 3870 and i cannot get the 3850/3870 driver to work for my setup. i can boot into safe mode without the driver but when install it i cant boot at all. I have a biostar TA790GX A2+ motherboard, AMD X2 6000+ 3.1 ghz dual core cpu, and my sapphire card.

oh yeah btw i am running iPC 10.5.6 V oodoo kernal, seatbelt kext, Jmicronm IDE shipset supports 64bit and 4+gb of ram.

HD3650 users, this is what I've found. Can you confirm?

The latest ATI acceleration drivers (Source version 53625) in the 10.5.6 combo update don't work right with this card.

The acceleration drivers available in the MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.2 (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/macbookmacbookprosoftwareupdate12.html) do work. The source version of these drivers is 53410.

The acceleration drivers in 10.5.5 (Source version 53017) don't work for me either.

Anything before 53017 I haven't investigated.

(By acceleration drivers I mean the four ATIRadeonX2000... kernel extensions)

The framebuffer (ATY_Megalodon.kext) when correctly installed works in all of the above cases, it appears it's just the acceleration driver that breaks. i.e. ATY_Megalodon.kext loaded and no ATIRadeonX2000 gives a good sharp picture with res change etc... but no QE/CI acceleration. To do this I put ATY_Megalodon.kext into ATINDRV.kext (/System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Megalodon.kext). You will find ATY_Megalodon.kext in ATIRNDRV.kext (/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRNDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Megalodon.kext) just sudo cp -R it across. For me it wont load unless it's in ATINDRV. (I wish someone would explain the difference between ATINDRV and ATIRNDRV kext to me??? Don't tell me one has an R in it!) Then remove the four ATIRadeonX2000 extensions.

The acceleration drivers:

ATIRadeonX2000

ATIRadeonX2000GA

ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver (I think this one controls the rendering engine, currently: ATI Radeon RV635 Prototype OpenGL Engine. I wish someone would explain how to hack this???)

ATIRadeonX2000VADriver

found in MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.2 (Source version 53410) work fine (QE/CI acceleration supported). Device ID: 0x9598, is already there no need to edit anything.

Faults and symptoms I have observed.

No ATI framebuffer or acceleration extensions loaded = fussy screen, no res change, no QE/CI etc...

No/incorrect ATI framebuffer, but acceleration extensions loaded = strange pattern displayed, system unresponsive...

Correct and loaded ATI framebuffer, but non-working acceleration extensions loaded (e.g. not source version 53410) = Black screen with mouse, sometimes garbled portions of the screen will be visible, system will respond (it works you just can't see it)...

In summary:

53410 drivers will work if you copy Megalodon into ATINDRV and use a injector (Natit) edited accordingly, or use a graphic string.

Can anyone confirm /deny or expand on any of this???

HD3650 users, this is what I've found. Can you confirm?

The latest ATI acceleration drivers (Source version 53625) in the 10.5.6 combo update don't work right with this card.

The acceleration drivers available in the MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.2 (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/macbookmacbookprosoftwareupdate12.html) do work. The source version of these drivers is 53410.

The acceleration drivers in 10.5.5 (Source version 53017) don't work for me either.

Anything before 53017 I haven't investigated.

(By acceleration drivers I mean the four ATIRadeonX2000... kernel extensions)

The framebuffer (ATY_Megalodon.kext) when correctly installed works in all of the above cases, it appears it's just the acceleration driver that breaks. i.e. ATY_Megalodon.kext loaded and no ATIRadeonX2000 gives a good sharp picture with res change etc... but no QE/CI acceleration. To do this I put ATY_Megalodon.kext into ATINDRV.kext (/System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Megalodon.kext). You will find ATY_Megalodon.kext in ATIRNDRV.kext (/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRNDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Megalodon.kext) just sudo cp -R it across. For me it wont load unless it's in ATINDRV. (I wish someone would explain the difference between ATINDRV and ATIRNDRV kext to me??? Don't tell me one has an R in it!) Then remove the four ATIRadeonX2000 extensions.

The acceleration drivers:

ATIRadeonX2000

ATIRadeonX2000GA

ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver (I think this one controls the rendering engine, currently: ATI Radeon RV635 Prototype OpenGL Engine. I wish someone would explain how to hack this???)

ATIRadeonX2000VADriver

found in MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.2 (Source version 53410) work fine (QE/CI acceleration supported). Device ID: 0x9598, is already there no need to edit anything.

Faults and symptoms I have observed.

No ATI framebuffer or acceleration extensions loaded = fussy screen, no res change, no QE/CI etc...

No/incorrect ATI framebuffer, but acceleration extensions loaded = strange pattern displayed, system unresponsive...

Correct and loaded ATI framebuffer, but non-working acceleration extensions loaded (e.g. not source version 53410) = Black screen with mouse, sometimes garbled portions of the screen will be visible, system will respond (it works you just can't see it)...

In summary:

53410 drivers will work if you copy Megalodon into ATINDRV and use a injector (Natit) edited accordingly, or use a graphic string.

Can anyone confirm /deny or expand on any of this???

Hi,

How could you extract the kexts form MacBookMacBookProSU1.2.dmg? Pacifist is not finding any kexts in the package, so I can not try this method yet :-(

Thanks in advance!