ATI Radeon HD pkg installers 10.5.x & 10.6

lastExile

2,380 posts in this topic

Ok - I've set up 3 different trials for Mobility Radeon 3650 (I didn't change anything that should affect any other cards, so I wouldn't bother if you don't specifically have the Mobility Radeon 3650) - the last two are the same but have different chipsets listed in the natit file, which I don't think really does a damn thing anyhow, but in case someone wants to try go right ahead.

They have ReadME.txt files, Read-THEM

Trial 1 (Classic).zip 

Trial 2 (RV635).zip

Trial 3 (m86).zip

Again, Trial 2 and 3 are almost identical - and I dont think there is a "functionality" difference but until someone can give me an instruction manual on what is happening in it, I can't say for sure what matters and what doesn't. 

Let me know if this does anything for anyone, you know - besides crashing the system.

PS. If these dont work for me at home tonight, I'm effing trying Snow Leapoard just for the hell of it. ;p

Fuji, that is awesome man can you please lend a hand with my 34xxx or at least let me know what you were able to do and maybe a how to.....

Are you able to change resolution?????

Thanks, Mark

I should be able to get similar cards going if I can get mine going - but right now I can't get the 3650 going quite yet, if I make progress on CI/QE I'll definately be setting up your card to work as well, right now though, I'm just shooting in the dark and hoping for a change (so we can have both the 15 and 17 dell studios working).

If you want higher resolution, I was able to get that by editing a file, like so:

Edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and add the following (use your own resolution in this):

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

Open Disk Utility and repair permissions - Restart and hope it worked!

It didn't go the full resolution for me - but it went pretty reasonably high (like 1600x1100 or something I don't recall) - still an assload better than the default.

Give that a shot and let me know if it helped you any.

Hello everyone,

my gpu is Mobility 3650 and i just came from testing fujilives's work

Trial 1 :

Normal boot : Black screen with things in red&blue&green -> not working

Safe boot : working normally : No QE/CI, No possibility for resolutions, and the card is not recognized

Trial 2 :

Normal boot : Blue screen which turns into black (same as i've posted there : dsc00061do4.th.jpg) On -v option, i can see the card fully recognized

Safe boot : Same thing as normal boot.

I really think the problem come from the framebuffer but as i'm not a developper... :)

Thank you again for your try fujilives, if i can help you with that card don't hesitate to contact me ;)

Hello everyone,

my gpu is Mobility 3650 and i just came from testing fujilives's work

Trial 1 :

Normal boot : Black screen with things in red&blue&green -> not working

Safe boot : working normally : No QE/CI, No possibility for resolutions, and the card is not recognized

Trial 2 :

Normal boot : Blue screen which turns into black (same as i've posted there : dsc00061do4.th.jpg) On -v option, i can see the card fully recognized

Safe boot : Same thing as normal boot.

I really think the problem come from the framebuffer but as i'm not a developper... :)

Thank you again for your try fujilives, if i can help you with that card don't hesitate to contact me ;)

Are you using an older natit one that supports megaladon?

Fuji, is the natit included in your installers or is it simply the modified kext?

It is not my installer inlcluded with that first kext, it is the older 3650 found on the front page of this thread (lastexile's work I think).  The Kext files included are from different sources and some I modified, some I did not - I take no credit for this, these files are from Apple, LastExile, EPS, and the natit files are, presumably, from Natit.  All I have done is made simple modifications to some of the plist files to see if we can't get things to work.

I was trying mobile HD3650 install on my Vaio FW11J, the results were identical with Natit - Apple Files.

Reading your posts I agree there should be something to do tweaking files, Apple says device 9598 is supported, perhaps there´s a bug on their drivers or just a typo in info.plist or whatever. But we may find a workaround, that´s what this site is for.

Keep posting advances or dead roads you took to avoid double work.

I´ll keep you posted.

Regards!

okay just curious keep your head up with as many people the need or want this to work I am sure we can come up with something I mean I would think that everyone in this topic is some what smart as we are all make PC's do something the were never intended too..... Not taking any of the credit because there are a lot of smarter people on this site than I......

Keep it up Fuji. I am working on the audio again and I can not change my resolution at all until I can at least get my card recognized.....

Hello everyone!

I'm having a problem with my 3650...

First of all i want to say that i'm a tooootal macos/darwin/unix/linux noob (a windows kid what can i say :P )

I primarly wanted to install macOS to try the unity3d engine. I sucesfully installed 10.4.8 as a VMWare workstation virtual machine, downloaded few apps, tried everything, and i was surprised everything worked without a problem :D . Then i went to install Unity, and then the problems started... It worked but giving me only a frame or 2 per sec. OFC i saw immediatly after installing the OS that i have no driver for the GFX card. Then spent couple of hours to find out how drivers on macOS work, and stuff, and i found this thread. I thought: finally a solution to all my problems :) but i hesitated to install the driver because in windows i see this info:

VendorID: 1002 - ATI

DeviceID: 0x9598 (3650HD)

but in macOS it showed:

DeviceID 0x0405 (google helped to find out that this is NVIDIA G86??? - never heard of it)

but since my eyes are already weary from multiple hours of soaking information about a new OS (and a different way of thinking about everything :D ), i thought what the heck, i'm gonna get

ATI Radeon HD Series for Tiger PciE

package from this thread, and try it and see how it goes (was a noob for not backing up my VMWARE disk :wacko: ). Installation went fine, but after reboot , it shows:

1. The gray loading screen with the apple, then

2. the blue screen with the 'starting MacOS X...' dialog with the progress bar,

3. a blue screen for a half sec after the progress bar finishes,

4. a console that says:

Darwin/BSD (unknown-00-0c-29-99-72-5d.lan) (console)

and prompts me for login & pass.

I can't move anywhere from here (dunno anything and cant google anything usefull about commands for this console).

When i try boot in safe mode, i get the standard macOS safe mode login screen, and after i enter my username & pass, it still boots me to console....

Anyone had similar experiences?

Also would be gratefull if anyone can help with a few commands for the console.

First idea was to go to find the files the package installed & delete them, but only command i could figure was CD (change directory - same as windows hehe) so i managed to get to the /system folder - but i dont remember where to go from here, and i cant find the command for listing files & folders and deleting... (found that dirs kinda works - only shows current folder (for ex. /system when i'm in that folder).

Any help at all would be gratly appreciated (even if it is at least commands for listing files & deleting)...

Thx in advance.

Hi lastExile

I am using Kalyway 10.5.2. with a Optiplex 755.

I have a 2400 XT and get "colorful dots in a striped with a black background ?" when I apply the ATI Radeon HD patch.

I also try with a clean install , no VGA drivers checked and try apply your patch after first boot.

So , with my "colorful dots in a striped with a black background ?" how can I boot into safe mode and fix this ? I am not a Unix boff , so please can you give me the few lines to run to kill the drivers so that I can try your new driver ?

Am I forced to re install the full OS X again ?

Has anyone managed to fix the Intel LAN card drivers yet ???

Thanks for your great support so far .....

Vince

What kinda a screen ? Disco screen, grey screen with stripes or colorful dots in a striped with a black background ?

2 Vinnie-The-Phoo

Press F8 at the start, then type "-x" in command string. That command boots OS X in safe mode

Then try solution i described elier in this topic. good luck ^^

Hi K-Gun

Where can I get the update BIOS for the 2400 and instructions on how to upgrade to 2400 pro ?

Thanx

Vince

Glad to say this is WORKING on my 2400 Pro

I've got iAtkos 2.0i 10.5.2

Vanilla 9.2.0 kernel

Didn't install any vid drivers upon install

My card is actually an HD 2400 XT but I flashed the BIOS with that of a 2400 Pro in an attempt to get it working with another driver. I rm'd ALL filed beginning with ATIR* in /system/library/extensions and ran the pkg installer above, rebooted and now I've got a nice display and QE/CI are enabled. I'm using the DVI->VGA adapter.

I'll try the DVU alone in a bit.I'll also flash my vid card bios back with the original to see if this works with the XT also.

[edit]

Upon re-flashing with my old 2400 XT bios and re-installing 2400 XT drivers from pkg installer, I get a garbled screen on bootup. I'm sticking with the 2400 Pro bios and drivers.

I'm not sure if this is progress or not, but I want to show it:

I used the NVinstaller to install a bunch of drivers - on thier own they did nothing for me.

I then used the Natit I fixed the typo on to get my card reccognized.

Then I used this package with kext-helper to get my card reccognized.

I've managed to get to this point several times - but this is the very FIRST time that I've been able to follow up by opening OpenGL Extensions Viewer, and have it work.  Every single other time, its like it doesn't detect any OpenGL stuff whatsoever, so presumably, there is something in the NVinstaller that is allowing this, that nothing else I've tried has.  It even let me do the 3d stuff (though only at like 20 frames per second or something)

I'm stopping at this point for a little bit, in case someone has some information for me that might be able to get things working further - as I'm sure I'll just make matters worse from here.

And a screenshot:

Sample.png

*notice how all of them except the last one (3.0) are all 100% working. Is this where the problem lies? Is there a fix for this?*

Any Ideas where to go from here?

Thanks,

Fujilives

*Links again*

NVinstaller

Post Install Package

UPDATE

For those of you with 3450 that want to try this, it should get you at least as far as I got, do the above, and then before you restart, install the kext below with kext-helper!

3450 Modified Natit

Allright im gonna try fujilives method on my hd2600 mobility, ridgeline have u tried manually putting in the resoltuion into boot.plist? how did fujilives change his resolution?

Well I tried a few different things in the plist but I have read that if your display is max res of 1280x800 adjusting the plist is a lost cause. It is gonna depend on your display. I know that based on what I am seeing that the res that fuji, is showing is off from his max res and yes he is adjusting the plist to get it to work.....

Hi, I test de natit posted by Fujilives (3450 Modified Natit) with the same results as those above,

like other times I have added the ID (0x95c4) to ATIRadeonX2000.kext, and this time without blackscreen!!! Its something.

I got errors in boot loading with the Megalodon:

07/11/08 23:45:09 com.apple.kextd[9] /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
ATY_Megalodon.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATY_Megalodon isn't a valid mach-o, bad symbols 
07/11/08 23:45:09 kextd[29] error mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/
Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Megalodon.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATY_Megalodon 
07/11/08 23:45:09 kextd[29] can't map module files 
07/11/08 23:45:09 kextd[29] can't check load addresses of modules 
07/11/08 23:45:09 kextd[29] a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/
Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Megalodon.kext 

post-169936-1226100085_thumb.png

MacOff

EDIT: and this in terminal:

Last login: Sat Nov 8 00:44:43 on ttys000
macoffs-macbook:~ macoff$ /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
ATY_Megalodon.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATY_Megalodon 
-bash: /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Megalodon.kext/
Contents/MacOS/ATY_Megalodon: Malformed Mach-o file
macoffs-macbook:~ macoff$ 

Maybe this is where our problem lies.... I will take a look at it and we should maybe try and get in touch with LastExile and see what he has to say. As Fuji found the original issue was that new kext pointed to megaladon and now with the adjusted kext and the addition of megaladon back in to the mix.... It might just not be perfect quite yet.....

Lets keep exploring and find a fix soon.

I rebooted through verbose mode and found the same error..... maybe we can find out a little more.