Hate Ubuntu? It's normal!

Alessandro17

82 posts in this topic

I was refferring to

...this.

Why, because that argument is not real, though everybody started jumping around shouthing "copycats", I do agree that it is ugly as :censored2: though. Of course it is copycat but that image has nothing to do with the looks of the final release of Ubuntu 8.10 whatsoever. It is a mockup made by a user. Period.

I was a subscriber to the Ubuntu-art mailing list, and hundreds of mockups like this popped up every month. Some of them really made me puke, this is one of the reasons I've unsubscribed(the othoer one was that I got like 15 ubuntu-art mails every day:lol:).

Anyways, none of these mockups made it no more than just photoshopped images, and there is 95% chance that this is not going to change.

Kenneth Wimer(he is part of the team that made the Oxygen icon theme for KDE4) is the guy responsible for the looks of Ubuntu 8.04, and as I saw his past works, he's not gonna dissapoint ;)

Yes, I stated it was a mockup, and we know that this is probably not going to be the default theme.

Are there any official art works for the next release?

I found an interesting reply (rebuttal?) to what Ladislav wrote:

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&a...ions-in-the-lat

I find this sentence funny (written by Ladislav):

"it (Ubuntu) also exists (according to another Linux company's CEO) for the sole purpose of destroying all other distributions that exist on the market"

Which Linux company's CEO said that? I am curious.

(I'll confess you something: the above is my main, secret reason for my deep Ubuntu dislike :censored2: )

As for me I appreciate the up-to-date repository. With Debian i had either do switch to "testing" or use unofficial packets in order to get something to work....

A strange sentence, really :)

1)What is wrong with Debian Stable?

2)What is wrong with using Debian Testing? Usually it is more stable than the final release of many distributions.

3)If you didn't like Debian Testing, you should like Ubuntu even less, as Ubuntu is a snapshot of Debian Unstable.

4)If you want the most up-to-date packages, Ubuntu is the wrong choice, because a couple of weeks after release, Debian Testing will be more up-to-date.

Or, if you want the very latest, use Debian Sid or Sidux, which according to each of its users (I am not one of them) is very stable.

InorganicMatter says: "Ubuntu: an ancient African word meaning "I failed at installing the real Debian." :D

Ubuntu enables people (human beings to be specific) to use Linux on their desktop computers without having to read how to compile a module for card xy and so on.

Another strange sentence, which should mean:

1) Ubuntu works out of the box, without effort: not true according to a lot of people.

2)Ubuntu is for (lazy) human beings, thus all the other distributions are for animals.

Those animals are apparently smarter than human beings, because they can "read how to compile a module for card xy and so on" :lol:

Yes, I stated it was a mockup, and we know that this is probably not going to be the default theme.

Are there any official art works for the next release?

No, not yet.

Expect it sometime around September.

No, not yet.

Expect it sometime around September.

Do u have links to any other screenshots? Nothing official, just mock ups.

It will take a lot of work to make gnome good looking, no offense to gnome users. I don't even think its possible.

Ubuntu gets the flack simply because it's popular.

It's Windows syndrome.

I find Ubuntu is quite good, it's easy to set up, and has been more reliable and easier to get running 100% on my Powerbook then any other distro, and believe me, I've tried many! (Including OpenSuse, which didn't work for me at all, sorry Alessandro17 :P)

I find Ubuntu is quite good, it's easy to set up, and has been more reliable and easier to get running 100% on my Powerbook then any other distro, and believe me, I've tried many! (Including OpenSuse, which didn't work for me at all, sorry Alessandro17 :P)

Fail. Ubuntu is no way more reliable than Slackware or OpenSuSE... :)

I've tried many! (Including OpenSuse, which didn't work for me at all, sorry Alessandro17 :P)

It is amazing how much the "wright" (or wrong) hardware can make all the difference.

However in the case of Ubuntu I have tried it on 5 different computers (not yet tried on my brand new laptop) and it has never been reliable for me. From the information I have gathered from the countless posts about Ubuntu everywhere, it would seem that Ubuntu works better on older hardware (which I never have, because I tend to sell my computers when they are 2 years old :( )

I strongly suspect that if Ubuntu works well for your Powerbook, Debian Proper would as well. Personally I find Debian a very rewarding distribution, albeit slightly more difficult than Ubuntu.

It is amazing how much the "wright" (or wrong) hardware can make all the difference.

However in the case of Ubuntu I have tried it on 5 different computers (not yet tried on my brand new laptop) and it has never been reliable for me. From the information I have gathered from the countless posts about Ubuntu everywhere, it would seem that Ubuntu works better on older hardware (which I never have, because I tend to sell my computers when they are 2 years old :lol: )

I strongly suspect that if Ubuntu works well for your Powerbook, Debian Proper would as well. Personally I find Debian a very rewarding distribution, albeit slightly more difficult than Ubuntu.

It's the setup that annoys me. I couldn't get wireless working at all on suse, but on Ubuntu, it worked out of the box.

I'll have to see how OpenSuse 11 is though, it looks promising, and nice, at least.

It's the setup that annoys me. I couldn't get wireless working at all on suse, but on Ubuntu, it worked out of the box.

I'll have to see how OpenSuse 11 is though, it looks promising, and nice, at least.

I think the reason is that opensuse by default only contains the free or open source drivers alone and nothing else? Am I right or wrong here? Not sure but thats what I have heard, my laptop with suse has its wireless working out of the box on any distro so I can't really tell.

Sounds like stupid "nerd-rage".

I'm currently running Ubuntu as my main OS, but have used flavors of Linux (Slack, RedHat, Suse, Mandrake etc) in the pass, and think its a great distribution. These vocal zealots need to get the f*ck over it.

Those recent screenshots of OpenSUSE look like a Windows XP rip off.

I didn't know that Luna came back in style (or ever was).

That default kde title bar colors r not because of a xp rip off, they r even set as default in the up stream kde, the reason is because someone complained that its difficult to tell apart the inactive window from the active one, other than that I don't know how it looks a bit like xp?

Ubuntu, who? OK I admit that I do have a disc (strange part is that they managed to accommodate the entire OS within 700 Megs), but I use that only as a Live CD and to use Gparted. No further. It was quite useful to format my HDD prior to Leopard installation I might add. :)

As far as looks go, openSUSE running KDE is the best among all Linux distros and Aqua is the best among all OSs.

Sounds like stupid "nerd-rage".

I'm currently running Ubuntu as my main OS, but have used flavors of Linux (Slack, RedHat, Suse, Mandrake etc) in the pass, and think its a great distribution. These vocal zealots need to get the f*ck over it.

Maybe if ubuntu didnt run like vista trying to run on a 266mhz setup then maybe i'd like ti abit more.

Maybe if all the members at the forums were not so stuck up their asses i'd like the distro a little more.

I find it amusing that mac users get flack for apparently being high and mighty, but ubuntu users are ALOT worse.

I think you just proved it with swearing nonsense just to get your point across.

Ubuntu may be easy but its the worst distro you can come across speed wise...functional wise..and looks wise, poo stain brown? no thankyou.

Hey as we all know ubuntu 8.10 will have a new theme, here is a suggested mock up that looks more like {censored} than the current one:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/In...et=NewClear.png

Anyone feels somethings like the buttons below the menu bar were taken from Aqua, like I said they were copy cats.

Hehe, I though I saw that design a moment ago when I went to flush the toilet...

Damn, the thread is fulla fanboys. I triple boot, ubuntu, vista, and osx. All three are great, all three have their points. The other linux distros IMO do not help me do what I need to do. From a strictly professional standpoint. Time Spent and Functionality needs to equal money. I can do that with these 3 OS'es. The other Linux distro's cannot do that for me. Got to use the OS for productivity, if not, you are just a fanboy.

Not sure where these "bugs" are coming from. I've used Ubuntu for over 2 years, tried it on many computers and never had a stability problem with anything. Occasionally, someone will get this strange wireless card that no one has heard of & it won't work with ndiswrapper, but other than that Ubuntu has been quite stable for me.

Now, why would want someone want to run Ubuntu over Debian?

-Automated setup. Get a working desktop environment in a short amount of time.

-Up-to-date. Debian Testing is a nice rolling release distro, but rolling releases require one to dist-upgrade constantly. This can be quite annoying at times.

-Extremely large community.

Of course, my biggest gripe is that there's no control panel, which is kinda necessary for new users. Hopefully if the opensuse devs ever fix YaST and its horribly slow package management (took them 3 releases to get it half-right), I can begin to recommend opensuse more.

-Up-to-date. Debian Testing is a nice rolling release distro, but rolling releases require one to dist-upgrade constantly. This can be quite annoying at times.

I don't understand what is so annoying about dist-upgrading and why it should be done "constantly".

How about once a month?

Needless to say, I see zero advantages of running Ubuntu over Debian.

As to the "automated setup" use one of the countless Debian derivatives which are based on Debian Proper (but personally I love the great Debian flexibility, and anyway, if you use the task "desktop", you'll get something very similar to Ubuntu but a lot better, IMO).