Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

ok, I found the Facetime fix.

I include here the diff file, it'll work in any board, including our laptop. I finally tired to wait while somebody will fix that, so, I did that myself.

I know that feeling well myself... :wallbash:
there need to add back boot-uuid parameter.

Nice find. So it was the UUID code as I suspected :) Did you point the chameleon folks to your patch?

what? it is a diff file of changes for chameleon. Download sources that you want to fix, edit it as you see in this diff file and compile.
Well this is a genius bar thread but not just a developer thread. So it's a bit unusual to not build a /boot image for users to try out your change. (Preferably based off the current mainline.)

I know that feeling well myself... :)

Nice find. So it was the UUID code as I suspected :) Did you point the chameleon folks to your patch?

Well this is a genius bar thread but not just a developer thread. So it's a bit unusual to not build a /boot image for users to try out your change. (Preferably based off the current mainline.)

I know that feeling well myself... :) -> Sorry, probably my phraze was not right :wallbash:

Nice find. So it was the UUID code as I suspected :) Did you point the chameleon folks to your patch? -> No, I didn't.

Well this is a genius bar thread but not just a developer thread. So it's a bit unusual to not build a /boot image for users to try out your change. (Preferably based off the current mainline.) -> I don't know :) If I see a fix in any format, I'll learn how use it anyway.

I just decided to go with diff file, because there different chameleon that I use. So, anybody may use version of chameleon that they prefer.

what? it is a diff file of changes for chameleon. Download sources that you want to fix, edit it as you see in this diff file and compile.

I am afraid I am no good at that just I have managed to fix my dsdt and that took me 2 weeks

so I ll give it a miss for now

good find though :wallbash:

PS I did try version 755 as someone suggested but that did not fix my FaceTime problem

I am afraid I am no good at that just I have managed to fix my dsdt and that took me 2 weeks

so I ll give it a miss for now

good find though :wallbash:

PS I did try version 755 as someone suggested but that did not fix my FaceTime problem

Add in your com.apple.boot.plist EthernetBuiltIn=yes and check out.

Very probably you're unable to login to Mac App Store too.

I include here the diff file, it'll work in any board, including our laptop. I finally tired to wait while somebody will fix that, so, I did that myself.

Good job Oleg ... 've been pulling my hair out and this works!!! Yay!!

I have updated a compiled boot from the current trunk if anyone is interested in trying it ... Please do this at your own risk!!!!

boot___With_Oleg_Facetime_fix.zip

Nice finding.

Thank you.

I have updated a compiled boot from the current trunk if anyone is interested in trying it ... Please do this at your own risk!!!!

Thanks Caroline, using your boot file I have just logged out and back into FaceTime.

I still would like to know how to add this for future reference!

Add in your com.apple.boot.plist EthernetBuiltIn=yes and check out.

Very probably you're unable to login to Mac App Store too.

I do have ethernet built in yes in my com.apple.boot.plist

I can actually log in to apple store just tried now ;)

The boot file worked thanks a lot Caroline :rolleyes:

Thanks Caroline, using your boot file I have just logged out and back into FaceTime.

I still would like to know how to add this for future reference!

Hey D-an-W ..

Download your prefered chameleon branch or trunk from SVN as normal.

Copy the patch/diff file to a known location and use the following in Terminal ...

patch <path of your chameleon files>/i386/libsaio/fake_efi.c -i <path to patch file>/oleg.patch -o updated_fake_efi.c

Once patched, backup your original fake_efi.c file and rename updated_fake_efi.c to fake_efi.c

From the root of your chameleon files, type make clean ..

Now just use make as normal and all should be good!!

Take care, C

Here posted now better graphics PM kext. (10.7.2 11C37). MacBookPro5,5

So I looked into the AGPM power situation a bit more, with logging turned on. (This is achieved by setting LogControl to 1 in the Info.plist).

With G-state 3, my system idles at 19 watts.

With any of the higher performance G-states, 0, 1, 2, my system idles at 25 watts

With your macbookpro5,5 Info.plist edit, the system achieves G-state 3 when idle, and also resumes at g-state 3 after suspend.

I turned this edit back into an injector version, so that the fix isn't tied to a particular revision of AppleGraphicsPowerManagement. Should be easier to maintain: 9400m_gstate_inject.kext.zip

I still think we should try to understand why we need to edit the control-id at all instead of just getting the system to pick up the right g-states automatically like on a genuine mac.

Seems like the key is the configuration in /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources

So I looked into the AGPM power situation a bit more, with logging turned on. (This is achieved by setting LogControl to 1 in the Info.plist).

With any of the higher performance G-states, 0, 1, 2, my system idles at 25 watts

With your macbookpro5,5 Info.plist edit, the system achieves G-state 3 when idle, and also resumes at g-state 3 after suspend.

I turned this edit back into an injector version, so that the fix isn't tied to a particular revision of AppleGraphicsPowerManagement. Should be easier to maintain: 9400m_gstate_inject.kext.zip

I still think we should try to understand why we need to edit the control-id at all instead of just getting the system to pick up the right g-states automatically like on a genuine mac.

Seems like the key is the configuration in /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources

Hmmmmm.. Since you were able to check the watts and found that actually there only two states, may be the right way will be to use GFX0 record for our graphics card? In this kext I deleted at all IGPU, changed GFX0 name to IGPU. And actually this way is going to be with right control-id. What do you think?

9400m_gstate_inject.kext_oleg_thinks.zip

Hmmmmm.. Since you were able to check the watts and found that actually there only two states, may be the right way will be to use GFX0 record for our graphics card? In this kext I deleted at all IGPU, changed GFX0 name to IGPU.

I had on purpose left GFX0 untouched so as to hopefully not break things for 9500m users. (Haven't heard from any so I'm not sure whether this stuff works for them or not).

And actually this way is going to be with right control-id. What do you think?
Your change only deletes the GFX0 section so I don't know what you mean. control-id is still being changed from 16 to 17.

I had on purpose left GFX0 untouched so as to hopefully not break things for 9500m users. (Haven't heard from any so I'm not sure whether this stuff works for them or not).

Your change only deletes the GFX0 section so I don't know what you mean. control-id is still being changed from 16 to 17.

I'm not 9500m user, so I can't help.

I didn't delete GFX0 section. I renamed GFX0 section to IGPU, saving all GFX0 parameters - since there only 2 states, and control-id is 17 by default

But I deleted IGPU section.

p.s. leaving for now.

I'm not 9500m user, so I can't help.

I didn't delete GFX0 section. I renamed GFX0 section to IGPU, saving all GFX0 parameters - since there only 2 states, and control-id is 17 by default

But I deleted IGPU section.

p.s. leaving for now.

Ok, call it that. The net effect is a deleted GFX0 key, and the control-id for the IGPU key changes from 16 to 17, and 3 other keys are copied into the IGPU definition. I suspect the GFX0 key is necessary for users with discrete graphics hardware so I think it's better to have a version that continues to have both keys. I can only guess until someone with a 9500m chimes in with test results.

As far as I know, nobody with a 9500m has the discrete chip doing anything other than wasting power under OSX. Perhaps by tweaking AGPM they could at least get it to power down :D

1743100[/url]']

Ok, call it that. The net effect is a deleted GFX0 key, and the control-id for the IGPU key changes from 16 to 17, and 3 other keys are copied into the IGPU definition. I suspect the GFX0 key is necessary for users with discrete graphics hardware so I think it's better to have a version that continues to have both keys. I can only guess until someone with a 9500m chimes in with test results.

As far as I know, nobody with a 9500m has the discrete chip doing anything other than wasting power under OSX. Perhaps by tweaking AGPM they could at least get it to power down :D

Ok, leave it as its now :)

This is a part of the log of 9600M GT. This might give an idea how it'd perform on a discrete GPU. Funny thing is that I previously tried to use the same injector in Extra folder when using Snow Leopard and it failed to initialise G-State. Now in Lion, the same injector works. VGA is the name of my GPU in DSDT.

Sep  2 00:33:36 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 0 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:39 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 1 from 0, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:40 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 1, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:40 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:41 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:42 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:42 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:44 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:44 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:46 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:46 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:48 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:48 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:50 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:50 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:52 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:52 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:55 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:55 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:57 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:33:57 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:01 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:01 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:04 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:04 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:06 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:06 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:08 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:08 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:10 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:10 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:12 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:12 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:14 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:14 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:16 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 00:34:16 Jamess-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = VGA G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16

Here is something that will support what you said about ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext. I also remember reading something about this in a guide written by MasterChief. I can't remember where it was.

post-562417-1314920340_thumb.png

Looking at the log file, it seems to me that I might need to change the threshold values to decrease the number of switches between the states.

@olegpronin, I tried the latest trunk of Chameleon and your fix is working. Thank you again.

Nice to see more work on PM stuff :P

For my 0x0876 Ion Control ID 17 it complain that is unexpected control id, I have to use 16:

Sep  2 15:56:23 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU Initialized, Control ID 16
Sep  2 15:56:26 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 3 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 15:56:32 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:02:57 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 0 from 1, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:03:30 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 0, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:04:36 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 0 from 1, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:05:25 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 0, ControlID = 16

Nice to see more work on PM stuff :P

For my 0x0876 Ion Control ID 17 it complain that is unexpected control id, I have to use 16:

Sep  2 15:56:23 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU Initialized, Control ID 16
Sep  2 15:56:26 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 3 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 15:56:32 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:02:57 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 0 from 1, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:03:30 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 0, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:04:36 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 0 from 1, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:05:25 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 0, ControlID = 16

hi, nice to see you again.

For some strange reason, here control-id 16 doesn't work well. The problem is that once it moved to higher performance state, it never comes back after it. 17 and 18 are ok, but yes, SMC doesn't like it. But it anyway works.

I think I know why, look with original AGPM(just log turned On):

Sep  2 16:52:40 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU Initialized, Control ID 16
Sep  2 16:52:43 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 3 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:52:44 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:52:44 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:52:45 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 2 from 1, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:52:46 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:52:47 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:53:56 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 0 from 1, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 16:54:42 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 0, ControlID = 16

AC cord removed:

Sep  2 17:00:14 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 2 from 1, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 17:00:14 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16

After wake:

Sep  2 17:02:02 XyZ kernel[0]: ttyiossa00000f: dequeueData ret e00002eb
Sep  2 17:02:02 XyZ kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 3 from 3, ControlID = 16
Sep  2 17:02:06: --- last message repeated 3 times ---

So original is better in my case.

Seems my DSDT tricks does a better job then AGPM replacement in Injector.kext, so i cleaned that section, look why:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation ION VGA [GeForce 9400M] [10de:0876] (rev b1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Unknown device [106b:00b9]

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Latency: 0

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16

Region 0: Memory at d2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Region 1: Memory at 00000000e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

Region 3: Memory at 00000000f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

Region 5: I/O ports at 2000

Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2

Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Capabilities: [68] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+

Address: 00000000fee00000 Data: 4092

00: de 10 76 08 07 04 10 00 b1 00 00 03 00 00 00 00

10: 00 00 00 d2 0c 00 00 e0 00 00 00 00 0c 00 00 f0

20: 00 00 00 00 01 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 6b 10 b9 00

30: 00 00 00 00 60 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 01 00 00

40: 6b 10 b9 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

50: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ce d6 23 00 00 00 00 00

60: 01 68 02 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 81 00 00 00 e0 fe

70: 00 00 00 00 92 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

90: 00 00 00 33 83 00 00 00 93 57 00 00 0f 00 01 80

a0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

b0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

c0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

d0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

e0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

f0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00

:P

I was very very wrong.

I tried your patch, The king, I don't know actually what it does, but I heard that apple reads all by name, so subsystem is ok, I'll save that patch for myself.

And I added method to _WAK - looks like it save injector data after resume (will test).

I missed only that thing:

<key>SensorOption</key>
					<integer>1</integer>
					<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
					<integer>4</integer>
					<key>TargetCount</key>
					<integer>1</integer>

this needs to have it all working.. My mistake I left it.

Hi, I replaced the boot file and was able to login Factime but now i get a message at boot and reboot

/extra/com.apple.boot.plist is depreciated what does that mean? it still boot and i can still use it, but like to get rid of that message.

thanks

peelers