High Sierra MBR and Firmware Check Patch 10.13.x

1 Screenshot

About This File

Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.13 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x MBR patch method, and more patch for 10.13 Firmware check by crazybirdy.

What is this patched OSInstaller doing?
1. Patch the MBR check, allow macOS 10.13 installation on MBR partition.
2. Patch the Firmware check, bypass the error of "
An error occurred while verifying firmware".
This patched MBR OSInstaller method works with both MBR and GPT partition (GPT+recovery).

No longer need to set new SMbiosversion, FirmwareFeatures, and FirmwareFeaturesMask with this MBR-patch.

What's the difference between createinstallmedia method, MBR-Manual-Method, and MBR-Automatic-Method?
As the following....
1. createinstallmedia method,

needs stage 1, stage 2 installation process, which is worked with GUID partition only.
2. MBR-Manual-Method (same as 10.12),

install via stage 2 manually, which is worked with both MBR and GUID, HFS+ and APFS.

We can manually format as MBR or GPT, HFS+ or APFS on installation screen like as 10.12.

We can manually select MBR HFS+ partition to install 10.13 and 10.14 on installation screen now.

Needn't to update the MBR-Manual-Method files, it will still work on 10.13, and 10.14 future versions, I think so.

It can be installed as Fresh installation on formated blank partition only, but can't be installed as update from previous version.

3. MBR-Automatic-Method (new for 10.13+),

install via stage 2 automatically, which is worked with both MBR and GUID, HFS+ and APFS.

It can be installed as Fresh installation on formated blank partition, and can be installed as update from previous version.

How to make 10.13 installer for MBR (MBR-Manual-Method)?

Just use EasyMBR-InstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

Read HowTo inside the dmg first, same as 10.12.
Read HowTo Q/A Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to update 10.13.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

How to make 10.13 installer for MBR (MBR-Automatic-Method)?

Just use 13MBRinstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

Read HowTo inside the dmg first, new for 10.13+.
Read HowTo Q/A Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to update 10.13.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

And, need a SMBIOS supported with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.

EasyMBR-Installer1013.gif.2042611dbe78ce7f7a88c6d059cf6d85.gif

13MBRinstallerMaker.thumb.gif.82857e8d6f2593a5df832a54a788c9fb.gif

What's New in Version 10.13.x   See changelog

Released

2020.07.13    Update Old-macOS-10+11+12/installScript_1012fullapp.

2020.05.30    Update Readme.

2020.02.25    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2020.01.30    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2019.12.06    Update Q6-DownloadFullApp

2019.11.02    Add Old-macOS-10+11+12/installScript_1012fullapp.

2019.11.01    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2019.10.10    Update Q7-Update-installScript, Q8-MBR-Update1013.

2019.09.11    Update Q6-DownloadFullApp.

2019.02.13    Update script to make update-installer-dmg on Desktop. (Q7-Update-installScript/installScript_101X)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have a questions 
A.  (Disk1mbrInstaller, minimal size: 2.5 GB)
    Make BaseSystem partition to boot the MBR-installer.

A1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg to HFS partition and rename the partition’s name as Disk1mbrInstaller as /Volumes/Disk1mbrInstaller/

what do that mean ?

What this means is to modify the BaseSystem on the USB to boot the installer in MBR, as the stock version does not permit you to format your target HDD with MBR to install High Sierra.

Restore BaseSystem.dmg to HFS means... use the Disk Utility to restore BaseSystem.dmg which is inside the installer provided by Apple to a blank HFS partitioned USB drive....you have to mount BaseSystem.dmg, (use a utility to mount it)   first and then use Disk Utility to move it over to the USB drive using the Restore function....

Hello Crazybirdie - the 10.13.1 tool worked perfectly first time! 

Now running HS with Clover with no problems!

Best Regards, Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Hi,

The independent 10.13.1 update can't be installed on my MBR partition.

Does it mean I have to download the full 10.13.1 app to create a new installer ?

Hi buddy back again finally figured it out worked great I do have a question tho upon booting the installer it just installs without any interaction can I change anything so I can use the mouse to use disk utility and click next on installer ect rather than it just booting and installing thanks in advance

Is it possible to update from 10.13.1 to 10.13.2 without using the MBR patch process again, by just downloading the COMBO update or install from app store?????

Dans

No. This is disappointing. Gone are the days when you could patch installer and forget about it for a year. It's time to move to GPT.

• Like 1

really?  - I have windows on a separate hdd... 

I couldn't find any directions as to how to set up GPT with old bios using clover, can you point me??

Thanks

so if GPT is used and creates recovery partition, can you then do installs of future updates direct off App Store then?

Well if you have Windows on separate drive then you are fine.

Just boot into USB macOS installer and in DiskUtility select your drive on the left side and click Erase on top and than for a scheme choose GUID Partition Map.

This will erase your drive so make sure to copy important data from it.

GUID  table hdd, and journaled partition will boot with Clover installed in the same partition as MacOS I assume... even though

the computer is 7years old and has an award bios.? I'll try it.

Just to be safe I installed from the full update again to a blank HDD then transferred my 10.13.1 data to it...

I will try an  update on another HDD ... so I use:

Disk1mbrInstaller

and use the script to create the macOS Install Data on the existing HDD with 10.13.1 on it then run the update installer directly from the app store?

The update doesn't work. I always get the "some updates were not installed" message.

I 'm on 10.13.1 with MBR now. Can you plz explain in simple steps how to install 10.13.2 downloaded from Apple site.

TIA

Think you need to boot with the USB drive then run script to create a folder on the 10.13.1 HDD called "macOS Install Data" and copy all the files on the USB to it...then try installing from App Store. ... have not tired this yet ... did it the hard way....

Hello,pretty appreciate your job,I made the bootable USB drive to install 10.13.2 on MBR based on ur tutorial,and everything is working good,but it seemed that it couldn't skip the stage 2,which just led me to the language choice/disk choice screen,and it showed that the partition is not GUID table!How could I solve this?Thanks in advance!!

Bootloader:Clover v4334