About this Mac

eddie11c

178 posts in this topic

Sorry if I am in the wrong thread, but I was wondering how I can edit the Model Name and Model Identifier at Hardware Overview. It now says Model Name: Mac and Model Identifier: P35C-DS3R (my MOBO)

I would like to have it Mac Pro as I have my system in an original G5 case... Thanks

i like this. worked out great on my vostro 1500 w/ c2d t8100.

ironically, i had just installed leo4all v3 on it (great release btw. only thing i had to do afterwards was nvinstaller41, and this), and the default "about this mac" showed 1.2ghz for the cpu. installed this, and it's back to showing 2.1 as it's supposed to!

Oooookaayy

Thanks anyway

I will say that again. I got that this program recognizes your cpu (what MacOsX on PC has troubles to do), but what I don't understand is the consequences : does it only recognize it or does it makes your all MacOsX recognizes it so that it may apply the appropriate changes by itself ?

Sorry if I am in the wrong thread, but I was wondering how I can edit the Model Name and Model Identifier at Hardware Overview. It now says Model Name: Mac and Model Identifier: P35C-DS3R (my MOBO)I would like to have it Mac Pro as I have my system in an original G5 case... Thanks

check this out : Starting at the reply 11, aqua-mac gave me the way to do it ; http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...=469&page=1

Starting from the reply 11, I am explaining here what I did to change "About this Mac" and the "System Profiler":http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=93600

Now you have : Model Name: Mac and Model Identifier: P35C-DS3R

What do you want to keep and what do you want to change into Mac Pro ?

You can do it in Terminal too :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...system+profiler

Oooookaayy

Thanks anyway

I will say that again. I got that this program recognizes your cpu (what MacOsX on PC has troubles to do), but what I don't understand is the consequences : does it only recognize it or does it makes your all MacOsX recognizes it so that it may apply the appropriate changes by itself ?

hey, this will read down name& speed from its microde and nothing more. in my case when i open the about this mac it shows the stock frequency but if i open hardware profiler it reports the real-overclocked speed- as you can see in on the picture below.

so what that program does is read the data and shows it about this mac window, nothing more:)

sorry for missunderstanding Gilou:)

post-65127-1209655336_thumb.png

So no one knows if I get a Q6600 will it work right away on About This Mac or will I have to use this program?

not sure, really, but on kalyway i think it should be ok, using this patch isn't something big and risky, dont worry, just get the q6600 and you will know:)

I have an E2160 @ 1.80GHz Stock.

I've overclocked it to 2.63Ghz.

But, in About This Mac and System Profiler it both reads as 2.40Ghz.

I'm trying to do legit benchmarking, but my system is reporting as 2.40GHz instead of 2.63Ghz.

Any way to fix that?

• 4 weeks later...
So no one knows if I get a Q6600 will it work right away on About This Mac or will I have to use this program?

Q6600 shows as 2.4Ghz Unknown by default, you have to use the program to get it to set right.

Also, to anyone that can't get it to work using this (meaning it doesn't work at all, no changes), it may be due to a modified AboutThisMac.strings file. I've attached a default AboutThisMac.strings file as a txt. Place the aboutthismac.txt file on the Desktop and run these commands from Terminal:

sudo -s
[enter password]
mv ~/Desktop/aboutthismac.txt ~/Desktop/AboutThisMac.strings
cp -R ~/Desktop/AboutThisMac.strings /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/

Then try the installer again. I didn't use this installer exactly, but I separately ran the script independently and it worked, after I restored AboutThisMac.strings to defaults using the above method.

aboutthismac.txt

Hello to all,

I have iATKOS 2.0i installed and would like to customize the "About this mac" dialog box.

I would like to get rid of the iATKOS logo so it looks like a real mac, can somebody tell me how you do that?

Thank you for your time

NSCXP2005