The Official SATA thread

Swad

94 posts in this topic

My SATA works on nForce4 using myz 10.4.6 I don't know whats on there but it works fine with no crashes or boot problems as are present when editing the AppleVIAATA.kext file in some solutions.

Right, where did you find those solutions?

I have an ASUS motherboard with VIA SATA southbridge, but the SATA drives are not recognised.

I've been unable to find any info (besides thousands of messages in the line of "it works" or "it doesn't") on how to modify the appropiate kext.

Thanks!

Hi I have problems finding my Hardware ID. According to http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ATA_hard_drives I should look in the device manager under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" --> "Serial ATA Controller". However i dont have that exact Controller what i have is:

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller --> primary IDE-Channel (translatet out of german)

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller --> secondary IDE-Channel

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller --> VIA Bus Master IDE-Controller

SCSI- and RAID Controller --> VIA Sata Raid Controller

SCSI- and RAID Controller --> D346PRT SCSI Controller

I have a Abit AV8 Motherboard with VIA 8237 Southbridge.

Can anybody help me with that?

Thank you

You are right,jape. I have a Via Chip. The FAQ (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Technical_FAQ) didnt make a different between these chips, and the error massege is exact the same. However everything in this board is about the nforce chip.

I dont understand what could be the Problem in my case.

I installed Mac OS X 10.4 AMD and Intel (i believe hotiso) 2 times to my computer.After both times it startet once just fine and then it hangs with the massage "AppleGenericPCIATADriver: CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14 (next line after a while repeating) still waiting for root device". Under VMWare i can still boot from this HD.

Does somebody have a hint for me, what this error message wants to tell me?

What i did:

first my computer:

Motherboard Asus AV8 Via Kt800

lan gigabit onboard

sound onboard disabled

sound delta audiophile 2496

tv: hauppauge wintv radio (i dont want to use it)

HD: Sata 250 gb Samsung

DVD: LG

The installation worked fine, except on the final restart the system freezed. however after a reset everything seemed to work just fine. During booting there were hundreds of comand lines running down the screen (like Matrix :D ) of which i couldnt read any, then there were slower ones. I didnt see any error massage and the mac os x startet fine. I rebootet and this error massage came up.

I tried it again, but nothing changed, so installed it again (deleted the disk before of course). However excactly the same thing happend again. I booted on my other partition in windows and from there i could start in vmware using the mac os x partition.

Does anybody know what i can solve the SATA (??) Problem?

Thank you very much!!

PICT1002.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my SATA drives kinda works. Sometimes when it boots i get an error saying 'VIAATA.kext' was not installed properly etc etc. Then my SATA drive doesnt show on the desktop. Ill reboot and it will work. It does this once in a while. And when it works, it works great, fast and reliable. i have a VIA KT800 on an MSI K8MM mobo with and AMD 3000+ . Also, and i know this is off-topic, i cant get my sound to work for the life of me!! i've looked and looked, and tried many different .kext but nothing. help!

I'm a complete newby to this whole 0Sx86 thing, but i too am having troubole with the nforce3 sata booting. I only have an sata drive, and i don't really want to buy a new one, so is there any way around this? The system installs and boots perfectly the first time, but then stalls with "still waiting for root device" error. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that although this happens on a normal boot, if i boot into safe mode it boots up with absolutely no problems whatsoever... Why is this? What changes when booting an sata drive in safemode compared to a normal bootup...? this has really got me....

Sorry, I have the Intel ICH5R Sata chipset with the mainboard: Gigabyte IK1100. (socket 478)

Mac OSX just detect my Maxtor HDD 120 GB SATA only when I Disable the Raid function on my Bios!

I wonder, is there any ways to make Mac OSX can "see" my HDD SATA without Disable the Raid function on my Bios? (Modified some kexts, etc...)

Many thanks If U can Help!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to find a solution to my SATA problem. I have an ASUS P5VD2-MX and I am using the latest bios revision. The Sata controller is a VIA VT8237A. I have used a Western Digital Sata drive and also a Seagate drive. I have tried each of the Sata inputs in turn. The install DVD doesn't 'see' either drive, though does get to the point of installing up to where you click on disk utilities to format the hard drive... but when you do that you see that the hard drive is invisible. It is also invisible to Linux SUSE 10 (about seven months old) and to a Gnome partition CD. True they are a little out of date but I can't understand why Vista and XP see the Sata drive just fine. I have poked around in the BIOS but no joy there, so far. Frustrated I hooked up a regular IDE drive and installed to it, which went well until I got a message at the end saying there was no keyboard plugged in; in fact an APPLE USB keyboard was plugged in and during install I had selected the repair USB patch - perhaps I should not have? After rebooting and with a non USB keyboard plugged in, I found that I was unable to boot from the hard drive, getting the grey screen and the apple with a circle and a diagonal line through it. I reinstalled again, fell asleep and woke up to find... the darwin loader was in a reboot loop. I took out the DVD and rebooted but still that darwin reboot loop, every ten seconds or so. Any help would be much appreciated. I am wading my way through the forums but I am using dial-up and beginning to despair!

ASUS P5VD2-MX

Pentium D2.8

PNY Geforce 7300

WD 320MB Sata / also tried seperately a Seagate Sata

Pioneer DVD rewriter

here's my deal with the sata boot thing. i could always boot in safe mode, but whenever i tried to boot in normal mode it would always say "waiting for root device..." Then when installing some other drivers, i booted once in forced check mode. Bingo... If you boot in forced check mode there is a chance that your system might boot as well. I'm on the nforce 3, and i also installed some other nforce 3 kext floating around the board, so there was no controlled experiment, but without forced cheking it doesn't boot up anyways, so... Also you can make it stick by putting it in the boot list or something like that. I'm a newbie too so I don't know how to do that off-hand, so do a quick search and it'll pop right out at'cha. Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm using a mobo that works with previous installation: a 10.4.1.

That installation recognizes that I have 2 HDD, an IDE 40Gb and a SATA2 160GB. And I'm using the 8237 Southbridge which is supposedly supported (it was in the 10.4.1)

Now, I can boot the 10.4.6 JaS install DVD but it doesn't see my SATA2 HDD.

What I'd like to know is the workaround because there's no clear way that I've found so far that helps.

The only step-by-step method I've is in this link below, but the person uses VMWare. And everything was done in command line (I've a little fear of the cmd).

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=13487&hl=

How about a little help for the newbie, please?

Doubtful, but wouldn't hurt to look at the drivers. But they aren't available on the website - have to email for them. Any Windows or Linux drivers might be nice too.

Otherwise, only one PCI-SATA card is known to work. See the Misc link in my signature.

• 1 month later...

Sorry Rammjet,

As U can see in my sign about SATA drive (I always have to Disable SATA RAID FUNCTION in BIOS for MAC detect SATA drive), I wonder: Is there any way to make MAC detect my SATA drive without do it? (example: change some values in Kext file, apply some patches...) I have been searching the solutions for this problem in a long time but until now, I found nothing!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Asus updated the bios not a million years ago for the P5VD2-MX and I was led to believe they had solved some SATA issues. Maybe so but I could get neither the latest JAS build of 10.4.8 nor most Linux distros to play ball.

ASUS P5VD2-MX

Pentium D2.8

PNY Geforce 7300

WD 320MB Sata / also tried seperately a Seagate Sata

Pioneer DVD rewriter

• 3 weeks later...

Yo!!! Somebody help me, i a little bit tired.... hehe O.o

I have an Acer T180 like this:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+

Socket 754

MMX+, 3DNOW+, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64

2GB RAM DDR-SDRAM

Chiset nVidia - model: EM61SM/EM61PM

GeForce 7300 SE 256MB

HD SATA 250GB

I try with 10.4.8 JAS, sse, sse2, but the disk utility doesnt find my hard drive... i have a fat32 partition, the raid is disable at bios, the dvd drive is set like primary.. i tried almost everything that i found on the web... what should i do? Buy a real Mac? ehhehe

thanks a lot,

gustavo alves

gustavuz@hotmail.com » msn

• 1 month later...

I got SATA working on sis 946, and the BIOS doesn't even support ATA compatibility mode.

Instead of adding my match string to the PATA section, I turned on SATA (Serial ATA /true) and added it to the SATA section.

The ATA drives also work, so don't hestitate to remove it from the PATA section.

WOOT! Now all I need is AC'97 audio and a cheap video card that supports CI. Maybe an FX-5200 or something

• 1 month later...

I cant get 10.4.8 to install on my Via Sata.

Can I get 10.4.7 and slip it into the install dvd?

AppleVIAATA.kext

thanks.

PS: It installs on my other ECS mobo but when I move the HDD into my main box it just gets the spinning wheel gray screen.

Thanks.