SAS Controllers w/ EFI for Mac OS X / OSx86 Solutions

106 posts in this topic

I have the Highpoint 2640x4 and SAS drives. It works and is bootable in RAID mode. However, it's not visible during "normal" installation (with Install DVD). I installed first Leopard on a SATA drive, then from there install the Highpoint kext and lauch Leopard install process (retail Leopard Install DVD) and choosed my SAS drive as destination.

The only problem I have is when my hack goes into sleep mode and then wake up, then the system freeze (I think the SAS drive/controller are not initialized).

Would someone have an idea about sleep mode when using HBA and SAS drive is welcome :-)

Great, I'm glad to see someone has finally tested the Highpoint 2640x4.

I was almost sure it would be bootable, but didn't take the chance to try it so I went for a more expensive model (Areca 1222).

Now, thanks to you, people will know it's not necessary :dev:

For your sleep problem, it looks that when using an external raid controller, sleep doesn't work anymore.

I've experienced it myself with my card from the day it put it in my computer: no sleep anymore.

In my case, OS goes to sleep but power and fan keep spinning.

Pressing a key wakes the computer without error.

I've searched a bit on the internet and it appears that even using the Apple raid card on the mac pro "breaks" sleep function.

Apple simply states that "Sleep is not supported with Apple raid card"

Another thing: I've tried PCEFI V9 as it says it allows deep sleep but it doesn't work either.

I've tried vanilla and Voodoo XNU kernel it doesn't change anything.

I guess it's the price we have to pay for being geeks and using external raid controllers :D

xhala_debru, bouloi75

How much RAM do you use guys?

Could there be a problem when actually using more than 3.2Gb?

I'm planning to build }{serve, with 8gb installed, so i have to be sure, since Areca cost as much as MoBo + Ram =)

Tnx. alot!

xhala_debru, bouloi75

I'm planning to build }{serve, with 8gb installed, so i have to be sure, since Areca cost as much as MoBo + Ram =)

Tnx. alot!

Hi,

I use 4 Gb of ram and no KP of any kind.

BUT, I don't use any Ide device and I've disabled the Jmicron controller in the bios.

I think it's the safest way to go.

Yep, disabling the JMicron is the safest way.

I actually asked if you have ever tried to use more than 3.2Gb, having 4gb+ simply installed in system wont be a problem ;-)

I dont know your HW knowledge level, but since you use RAID cards i assume it is at least as deep a mine, so sry for any inconvenience.

Could you confirm, or test it for me then?

Yep, disabling the JMicron is the safest way.

I actually asked if you have ever tried to use more than 3.2Gb, having 4gb+ simply installed in system wont be a problem ;-)

I dont know your HW knowledge level, but since you use RAID cards i assume it is at least as deep a mine, so sry for any inconvenience.

Could you confirm, or test it for me then?

Well, as far as I know, Leopard sees the 4 Gb in the activity monitor and even when I use virtual machine with VMWare fusion (which tends to fill all my memory, bug?), the computer doesn't crash.

Before, when I used the JMicron for Ide dvd burner and didn't apply any JMicron patch, the computer would crash all the time around 99% when burning a dvd.

But I don't know how I could, by example, force Leopard to store 4 Gb of data in ram and see if it hangs or not.

xhala_debru, bouloi75

Tnx. alot!

Hi,

I use only 2 Gb for now (but will upgrade to 4Gb soon :-)

LSI SAS3442E-R works (JBOD), haven't test with RAID yet.

You'll be disappointed with RAID (lack of it).

If you figure out how to get it to work please let us know.

I think you should be able to edit the plist in the kext, just don't know what the setting is.

xhala_debru

There is an easy way to utilize 4GB of RAM.

Create a high-res texture with photoshop (or any program like it), say 10.000*10.000 pixels. Save it, than open it many-many-many times :-D and watch you RAM consumption. You can also mount several disk images and run several instances of VM. Should do the job.

all

What's the difference between Areca ARC1222 and ARC1680i? I didn't get it.

Look the same, have same specs, but ARC1680i is more expensive.

You'll be disappointed with RAID (lack of it).

If you figure out how to get it to work please let us know.

I think you should be able to edit the plist in the kext, just don't know what the setting is.

For some reason i can't load the controller's BIOS. I pressed F8 and select 2 to load SAS Utility and it say something like the bios will load after initialization but then it boot directly to my os x hard drive.

I don't want to use the raid function in disk utilities since i think it is software raid.

Do you have any work around to get to the controller BIOS?

Thanks,

Tommy

For some reason i can't load the controller's BIOS. I pressed F8 and select 2 to load SAS Utility and it say something like the bios will load after initialization but then it boot directly to my os x hard drive.

I don't want to use the raid function in disk utilities since i think it is software raid.

Do you have any work around to get to the controller BIOS?

Thanks,

Tommy

I believe it's Control C to enter the LSI 3442E-R BIOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dear all,

I want to check with yours.

Have someone tryed LSI MegaRAID SCSI 320-1 (520-1 CH)?

It was using LSI53C1020 Ultra320 SCSI controller chipset.

And after search in LSI web, the card also support Fusion MPT.

Any idea will it work in Hackintosh?

This card was using PCI-X and I still haven't flash the Fusion MPT bios to this card.

If it can use then I will flash the bios to let it run raid 5.

Thank yours.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No luck on the ASUS P5BV-E/SAS, it's panicking after complaining about setting power mode for the NICs. Also was throwing issues about the LSI raid, but DID detect it. I never tried disabling the network since at that point, I'd need to add a compatable network card, compatible RAID card, and compatible video card. All that's left on the mainboard after that is ich7 and 5200 chipset.

• 3 weeks later...

what do I need for SAS -> sata JBOD ?

just tired of the hotplug not working,... with my mobo,

and trying to consolidate disks,... but need to be able to hotplug sata drives,...

idea:

- get an sas controller,... maybe Highpoint, the 2640x

- get sas/sata 4-5 mobile racks,...

8 - 10 3.5 drives, sata

2-4 2.5" drives, sata

should be able to run on the 4 port sas card, but how to connect, and what cables do I need ?

notes: tested the diskutil with radi 1,... but after unplugging one, it would not reconnect,

reboot fixed it, but even reboot with one drive in mirror, have no access to data ? not good,

and me leo , don't shutdown clean,... as such gave up on it for now,... softraid sounds promissing,

but until I get a controller and hotplug to work, won't go there.

do have 3 external esata/usb/firewire drives, but for backup speed, like to hotplug them to esata,...

fyi: the hotplug works fine on the laptop with 2 port expresscard,...

possible be nice to have a multilane, mobile rack setup, to be able to take sata in jbods on the road,...

please pm,... thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

for LSI 1064/1068 chips we need to make it possible to load original efi drivers

may be netcas can help us with some of EFIv8 patches?

Today workaround is only JBOD working well with boot support on lsi based chips.

LSI 1064E chip (SAS3041E)

test benchmarks vs ICH10

(same system, just cable changing and reboot)

ICH10 xbench results

onICH10.txt

SAS3041E(inserted into PCIex1(not PCIex4!!!!!!!!)) xbench results

onLSI.txt

As I see - 13% faster against ICH10 AHCI. And of cause - native driver supported

bootable!!!

bootable.tiff

kext loaded

kext_original.tiff

profiler info

profiler.tiff

SAS icon for a drive(removable in LSI MPT Bios!!!)

SASicon.tiff

raid - not supported!!!!!!!! 8((((((((

• 2 weeks later...
for LSI 1064/1068 chips we need to make it possible to load original efi drivers

may be netcas can help us with some of EFIv8 patches?

Today workaround is only JBOD working well with boot support on lsi based chips.

LSI 1064E chip (SAS3041E)

test benchmarks vs ICH10

(same system, just cable changing and reboot)

ICH10 xbench results

onICH10.txt

SAS3041E(inserted into PCIex1(not PCIex4!!!!!!!!)) xbench results

onLSI.txt

As I see - 13% faster against ICH10 AHCI. And of cause - native driver supported

bootable!!!

bootable.tiff

kext loaded

kext_original.tiff

profiler info

profiler.tiff

SAS icon for a drive(removable in LSI MPT Bios!!!)

SASicon.tiff

raid - not supported!!!!!!!! 8((((((((

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

podarok, for a bootable raid, this link might able to help you, but u have to modify some scripts from terminal:-

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=613

i have never thry this but it worth a shot

pls let us know your results cause i am also interested in a cost effective sas raid system in my hack'tosh

regards

Bosica

Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8i works great.... on some motherboards.

I had to flip my SMBUS jumper, and put it in the first x16 slot on my mobo.... then it showed up, but I was having option rom issues with both the SAS card, and my U320 card (both have MPTbios.... I was hoping the SAS MPTbios would see the U320 card, but no luck)

Either card is fine... both cards required a bit of trickery:

Turning off option rom support on all other slots, and then "disabling" the SAS boot option rom (so it doesn't report the drives to BIOS and make them bootable) fixed the issue.

Works great. Now have a SCSI software RAID10 and a SAS software RAID10 (4 500gig ES.2 sata drives)

Just in case anyone was looking at the supermicro card.... At this point, I would consider it just an HBA... but I'm running software RAID anyways, so that doesn't bother me.

Some quick numbers from Xbench:

(all numbers are in MB/sec, and are in the order Xbench shows them....)

4 ES.2 software RAID10, ICH9

185.69 177.27 25.82 207.90 3.44 119.29 1.53 47.22

2 ES.2 software RAID0, ICH9

217.23 210.99 33.43 216.37 3.43 132.63 1.08 39.55

2 ES.2 hardware RAID0, silicon image

133.14 124.56 34.55 129.20 3.30 90.83 1.10 33.26

ES.2 , single drive

88.95 100.99 37.03 102.91 1.56 98.99 0.71 30.38

• 2 weeks later...

OK... so the Supermicro SAS card is now connected to Supermicro SAS expander backplane...

Number: BNP-SAS-836EL1 (Single SAS expander backplane)

Haven't tried all my drives on it yet, but I plugged my four 500 gig ES.2's (software RAID10) into it and it just plain works.

Shows up in system profiler. All 4 drives show up, plus the LSI SAS expander chip. Activity lights on the backplane also work. (Dim blue when plugged in, bright freaking blue blinkies for activity)

Fan fail light is on since I don't have any fans plugged into it right now, but it has onboard fan controller for 4 fans.

Looks like possibly a great solution for those needing a pile of drives on the cheap. Haven't plugged my 7200.11 into it yet, but its on the compatability list, so I don't expect problems.

Quite possibly the coolest $80 ebay purchase I've made yet.

Hopefully I'll have a case mod'd soon so everything fits and works and so I have sleds of some variation.

• 1 month later...

hi guys,

i am very new to this (which will probably show ;P) and was going through the forums searching for a way to install and boot osx off a r0 volume on a dell perc 5i controller - which in reality is a LSI 8480e card

any info would be much appreciated!

hi guys,

i am very new to this (which will probably show ;P) and was going through the forums searching for a way to install and boot osx off a r0 volume on a dell perc 5i controller - which in reality is a LSI 8480e card

any info would be much appreciated!

Mike, thats not a fusionMPT card, so its my guess it won't do anything when you plug it in. OSX most likely won't see it at all.

On the other hand, you MIGHT be able to get it to do something by putting its deviceID/pcimatch in appleraidcard.kext.... will it work? Likely no, but my guess is it'll show a SAS channel, and it MIGHT show some more info as well. What we really need is the BSD megaraid kernel extensions and the megaraid command compiled/ported to OSX.

If you didn't have the onboard RAID portion, and didn't have the intel IOP processor on the card, I'm guessing it would just work, as I'm 99% sure internally its just a LSI 1068 or 1068e that the intel IOP processor talks to.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading this post back and forward for the past days to find a Controller that would be able to boot in hardware Raid 0 under Leopard.

I want to use it on a BadAxe2 Mobo with 2X Western Digital WD3000GLFS (SATA VelocyRaptor) benchmark

The best 2 option i found until now are the Highpoint 2640 and Areca ARC-1220.

But i noticed that Highpoint 2640 has PCI-e x1 host interface versus the PCI-e x8 found on Areca ARC-1220.

Only begun to understand those number recently so I'm not sure if that PCI-e x1 would be a bottleneck factor if I would go and buy the Highpoint 2640.

this site shows the following:

PCIe x1

Application Datapath Width: 32 bit

PIPE PHY Width: 16 bit

PCIe Clock Frequency: 125 MHz

Application Configurations: End Point, Root, Switch, Dual Mode (E/R)

PCIe Line Bandwidth: *5Gbps

PCIe x8

Application Datapath Width: 64 bit

PIPE PHY Width: 8 bit

PCIe Clock Frequency: 250 MHz

Application Configurations: End Point, Root, Switch, Dual Mode (E/R)

PCIe Line Bandwidth: *40Gbps

* indicates the theoretical maximum line bandwidth.

I'm not sure what to make of those values.

gramarye, maybe you can give me a hand on this :(.

@xhala_debru

@jokinawa

I understand you have the Areca Areca ARC-1220. I never used a add-on Raid controller so I would like to know if it allows you to build more than one raid0 array at the same time.

I would have the same question for bouloi75 for that HighPoint 2640.

Thanx in advance.

Mike, thats not a fusionMPT card, so its my guess it won't do anything when you plug it in. OSX most likely won't see it at all.

On the other hand, you MIGHT be able to get it to do something by putting its deviceID/pcimatch in appleraidcard.kext.... will it work? Likely no, but my guess is it'll show a SAS channel, and it MIGHT show some more info as well. What we really need is the BSD megaraid kernel extensions and the megaraid command compiled/ported to OSX.

If you didn't have the onboard RAID portion, and didn't have the intel IOP processor on the card, I'm guessing it would just work, as I'm 99% sure internally its just a LSI 1068 or 1068e that the intel IOP processor talks to.

Hello guys,

i have the same card, Dell Perc 5/i

flashed it over with LSI firmware and got it working with the LSI driver in Windows.

i get it to show zero sas channels,

PCI utils sees the hardware for what it is so thats a plus.

knowing that it's a great card and that it has many brothers and sister, work should be made to getting this working.

ive been fondling about with the megaraid.kext, the LSIFusionMPT.kext and the AppleRAID.kext.

but my skills are to low to get any further.

how can we start this up?

i actually bought this card thinking that almost all LSI cards are supported.

and Apple are using cards now that are bassicly the same idea.

hardware RAID with intel chip, SAS capable and memory expandable.

so if you guys can point me in the good direction, i mean some die hard, hardcore Hackintosher must know what to do.

peace out

Cney