My nearly finished Hack the Tosh

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
well... what I am looking for would be all three.. what I had in mind was to use that door, with the apple and leaf glued to a piece of lexan, put the lexan on the inside of the door, then light the lexan (similar to the glowing blue you have)... so I would want all three pieces: door, apple, and leaf.

What are we talking about on cost? shipping the apple and leaf would be cheap.. the whole door - quite a bit more I'd imagine.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
You can cut out the two pieces taking care to keep the door clean and I send you the apple and the leaf cut clean. I will let you kow the shipping price from Belgium to the US.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
Good call. Then I don't have to worry about saving my pieces which means I can cut a little rougher and sand/file the edges on the door. Very cool! Thanks for this, I'm totally stoaked to do this now!

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Good call. Then I don't have to worry about saving my pieces which means I can cut a little rougher and sand/file the edges on the door. Very cool! Thanks for this, I'm totally stoaked to do this now!

Exactly, and I will cut with 1mm plus around the two pieces so that you can adjust them as you want, if you made a bigger hole somewhere around.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
I put the two towers up each other to visualize the volume needed to make a rack with metal plates surrounded by glass panels .

Posted Image Posted Image

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts
easier to make a rack or adapt a standard 19" (or even an also kind standard 24") rack mount system?

http://www.powerrack...nte/E-Home.html
http://www.custom-co...ount-Mac-g5.php

I have seen a server room with MacPros lined up in rows. A friend works for Colorado State University and they have some Mac specific stuff they do with their Natural Resources and Ecology Laboratory.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Thanks Mr. D. I remember the Power Rack, but that's not the idea, just want to put something around and keep the two cases vertical.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
I ordered a new pump, the 12V Laing DDC-1T Pro 10W with XSPC Acrylic Pomp Top, but it is out of stock for the moment.

Posted Image

In the meantime, I was browsing for some Macpro parts and I found this shop http://www.powerbookmedic.com in the US with parts @ very low price like :

MacPro HDD harness cable 9,95$ MacPro HDD carrier cage 9,95$

Does someone know this seller ?

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts

Yes, I have used them in the past and always been reasonably pleased. If you're getting anything exterior (say, a replacement side panel) call and ask specifically about the condition and whether they can pick a good one for you. My first experience was so-so as there was no real description of the quality, my second much better after I called. They're legit, as they say, so no worries about whether you'll get your items or not :D

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Thanks WhatTheTech, I will buy some stuff from them. I have read also : the prices are starting at ... $, that explains the parts different status . :mellow:

shiftysamurai

shiftysamurai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Bought my G5 case from them, about $50 w/ shipping. Pretty good shape for the cost.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Thank you shiftysamurai.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Update about the LCS, the Laing pump has been delivered and I start to connect it with the tank-reservoir and the tube transporting the Liquid to the G5 system case . I couldn' t resist to make another "serpentin" between the pump and the tank.

Still have to clean the copper before painting some vernis and putting back the system in the G5 case and reattach all the waterblocks onto the Mobo and finally reconnecting the two cases. The cables work will be done later.

SirKeldon

SirKeldon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
I wish i could have an original LCS system from the DP 2.5/2.7 or Quad ... those two Laing DDC pumps and the rad will make my current mod look as original as it is now ... but with my beloved watercooling as i have in the first one. Nice new work for a classic mod =)

Btw, nice work with the plumbing ... i still never tried it after more than 5 years watercooling and i'm curious to test it someday, is it really worth the effort? I mean, did you notice a real and noticeable improvement for the temps using copper plumbing rather than plastic tubes? (theoretically it should)

Edited by SirKeldon, 06 March 2013 - 11:12 PM.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

I wish i could have an original LCS system from the DP 2.5/2.7 or Quad ... those two Laing DDC pumps and the rad will make my current mod look as original as it is now ... but with my beloved watercooling as i have in the first one. Nice new work for a classic mod =)Btw, nice work with the plumbing ... i still never tried it after more than 5 years watercooling and i'm curious to test it someday, is it really worth the effort? I mean, did you notice a real and noticeable improvement for the temps using copper plumbing rather than plastic tubes? (theoretically it should)

I have seen on ebay.co.uk several single and double Laing pumps from DP G5 for reasonable prices .Thanks for the kind words. I don't remember how low was the temp, but I remember it was really low. I think I wrote it somewhere in my thread, I 'll check it. But the first motivation was esthetic the use of copper plumbing.

Update : The CPU was overclocked @3,27GHz from 2,4GHz and the memory Frequency from 800 MHz to 913 MHz

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
I read this article on G5Modders http://www.g5modders...5-resource-page,
explaining How-to install the Wifi with the Apple Airport card from a Macbook connected in a mini PCI-e to PCI-e 1 which I bought here:

http://www.befr.ebay...984.m1439.l2649

I found also on Macbidouille.com this sheet with all the compatible Apple cards :
https://spreadsheets...=ru&output=html

And I tried the Airport card from my son's White Macbook 2009, like this one :
http://www.befr.ebay...984.m1438.l2649

The problem is that the card is recognized by the system but I cannot have it working. I read among the comments in the G5Modders article that someone deleted the Airport card and recreated it in the Network System Preferences and it works, but I cannot turn Airport on.

Did anyone had tried to install WiFi on his Hackintosh yet ?

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Finally, my mini PCI-e to PCI-e with the Airport card from the MacBook is working with the 10.6.3 system. Now I'll keep trying with my 10.6.8 system.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Having seen what incredible job MiniHack is doing

Posted Image

and Porto's great job :

Posted Image

I was wondering how could I use my three HDD's trays with the MacPro HDD harness cables ? I will have to build a back panel to attach the harness cables, ...I don't think the panel used by MiniHack and Phunczz would work for me, the 2x Corsair SATA 6Gbps Upgrade kit for 800D.
Posted Image

Knowing Apple, the distances between each Harddisk are quite not standard.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
I was talking about the distance between each connectors, but Phunczz found out that with the MacPro sleds, the HDD's are not in contact with the Corsair SATA kit connectors . :(

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 626 posts
I can give you some measurements.

On the Corsair backplane the vertical distance between each SATA connector is 38mm.

On the Lian Li 3 SATA board it is 35mm.

I have just measured a G5 holder and it looks to me like they are approximately 35mm!!!!!!

That may mean it is possible to attach a backplane to the original drive holder without too much hassle. I have got rid of most of my originals but I will pull one from a machine and see how practical this is.

Stay tuned......I may be making my own drive holders redundant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy