My nearly finished Hack the Tosh

Baudouin

145 posts in this topic

HacOSXuser,

This is a really crazy challenge. In fact presently, the tranparent Mobo plate is nailed to the inside of the case and the G4 door is attached as for the G4 case, in the middle with the apple and at the top with two screws.

G4 door closed :

gallery_18593_239_17324.jpg

G4 door open with view onto the acrylic plate :

gallery_18593_239_17685.jpg

Acrylic plate up with Mobo attached onto a PC Mobo plate I had:

med_gallery_18593_239_210696.jpg

But now the Mobo is attached directly onto the acrylic plate with 23mm standoffs

Now I was thinking to link one outside transparent door with the G5 metal door reduced at the opening dimension and make the two open together. Now to motorize the opening door would be insane. I will try that. ;)

the only thing i dont like is how the G4 door(obv) doesnt cover the entire opening. leaving the top shelf and the corners visible. take the original G5 door. cut a hole in it the size of the G4 door. put them toogether. and make it motorize out. that. would be an amazing mod.

the only thing i dont like is how the G4 door(obv) doesnt cover the entire opening. leaving the top shelf and the corners visible. take the original G5 door. cut a hole in it the size of the G4 door. put them toogether. and make it motorize out. that. would be an amazing mod.
I agree with you, that's why in the beginning I was thinking to make a frame around the G4 door to cover all the open space, but it seems to difficult to realize. And lately I thought to use a cut G5 door instead of the G4 door which would cover also the space around the G4 door and I am testing a two pieces of mesh panel to cover the top shelf in the same way it is done in the Mac Pro case. This mesh panels will cover the Optical drive, HDD fan and the top HDD's.And for the outside door I will use a transparent smokey acrylic panel.
i still cant keep any food in my stomach while i read/look through this thread.it just seems it just wants to purge itself for some unknown reason. :) -D-
Do not read or look at it anymore, you will feel better.
THIS IS A VERY BAD PAGE FOR ME. MY GF IS RECOVERYING ANOREXIC. AND THREW UP WHEN SHE SAW THAT MAC.........
That's remind me the time I sold my G3 W/B to buy back on eBay all the parts to rebuild one completely inside an fully acrylic case for PC, first to see if I could do it and secondly because this case has blue lights coming out of the edges of the panels like fibre lights . Just for the fun my G3 White/Blue was really blue !!!

Afbeelding028.jpg

I got the same reactions like yours. :P OK. So what, you don't like it. Fine for me, you get sick and your GF, you meant G5 I guess?, get anorexic. Keep her safe away from mine, otherwise she will be contaminated. :)

• 3 weeks later...

One more thing : here comes a changement.

I got the Mac Pro case from Hally_57 in a very good status from the inside, a pitty that the feet are wrongly bended, but they are not broken.

I will use this second case as housing for the LCS for the Hackintosh and later (question of budget) install four extra HDD's. I will replace the Thermaltake Liquid Cooling with the original rad and Delphi pump from a G5 dual 2,7GHz System with the huge CPU fans and the double G5 marked alu cover.

• 4 weeks later...

Some pictures :

The external part whith the hands and feet seperated from the inner housing. The feet are definetely wrongly bended. I will try to get them in better position.

post-101875-1216455502_thumb.jpg

The upper hands are in good position.

post-101875-1216455531_thumb.jpg

Two pictures showing the separation of the inner housing and the hands and feet.

post-101875-1216455599_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1216455683_thumb.jpg

The inner housing alone which will be used as housing for the LCS for the Hackintosh.

post-101875-1216455709_thumb.jpg

The original G5 CPU fans and the LCS rad from a watercooled dual 2,7GHz are attached inside the inner housing with the original double G5 cover.

post-101875-1216455806_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1216455823_thumb.jpg

On the right side, you see the two fans I attached at the back of the case. The upper one is a spare Thermaltake for watercooling which will cool down the four extra HDDs for the Hackintosh and at the bottom, the original Mac Pro PSU fan which will help to cool down the rad.

I will hide the PSU area with a bended piece of mesh panel as I have done for the upper side of the Hack, see futher pictures. I will do the same to hide the left side of the CPU fans wher the water pump wil come, at first the Thermaltake I am using now and later when fixed, the original Laing and the right side of the rad to cover the fans and maybe one piece for the space between the bottom of the HDD's and the top of the CPU fans and rad.

Edit 30/07/08 : the two upper parts are now covered :

post-101875-1217431628_thumb.jpg

The waterblocks for the Voltage regulators

post-101875-1216455892_thumb.jpg

The waterblocks for the Bridges (North and South)

post-101875-1216455912_thumb.jpg

Because I will use the nervouschimp method to connect the Mobo connectors to the back of the case, I had to move the Mobo closer to the front of the case and so to detach the third and fourth HDD's and to move them to the Mac Pro case. You can see how I used the upper face from the MDD HDD tray combined to the G5 HDD's tray to attach them under the upper part of the case.

post-101875-1216455982_thumb.jpg

I used two pieces of bended mesh panel to hide the optical drive, HDD's fan and the upper HDD's inside the G5 case which house sthe Hack

post-101875-1216456049_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1216456087_thumb.jpg

Two views of the mesh pannel at the bottom of the G5 case. Not yet perfect; can be improved.

post-101875-1216456108_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1216456124_thumb.jpg

Will put pictures of the G5 rad and the new Mobo tray later.

• 4 weeks later...

I have made a new acrylic mobo tray which cover the entire opening, the top shelf is covered by two pieces of mesh panel. When the mobo tray is closed, it shows a 3D apple logo.

I have cut an acrylic door as wide as the original G5 door.

I have attach them together.The apple logo seems then to float between the two panels.

As I have been playing around with mesh panel, I will cut a panel with the shape of the apple logo centered onto the acrylic door leaving the floating apple visible, and covering with mesh panel the outer sides, up, down, left and right. why ? In fact to hide the holes made to attach the outside acrylic door to the frame used to fixe the original G5 door with the latch.

Still working on, pictures will follow.

you know what would be sick making the G5 door opening the G4 door but motorize so when you pull the latch it will come down on its own now that would be nice.

Next step is motorizing; have already figure out what to use and how... :(

First pictures, comments follow...

This are views of the new mobo tray closed with the apple logo attached. Still to finalize . I have made a track in the shape of the apple to dig the logo onto the panel and it is attached with a simple screw.

post-101875-1218736795_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1218736921_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1218736814_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1218736867_thumb.jpg

wait did you ever use the inner mac pro enclosure?

For the moment the Hack is dismantle because of the job I am doing, cutting, dremeling, ...

The inner mac pro is ready to use for the Liquid Cooling System, just to add the pump and the tank.

Small probl. , the XSPC acrylic tank I got from OvercklokerUK does not match the original Delphi pump used by Apple. Will use first the Thermaltake pump.

Some pictures with the external acrylic panel onto the case, not yet attached to the mobo tray

post-101875-1218833532_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1218833523_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1218833515_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the original apple frame used to lock the door with the latch. The external acrylic panel is attached to the mobo tray by using four cpu's standups shorted and screwed. It is not obvious on these picts, but the frame is cut at the bottom part, when I realized that some space was necessary for the opening movement of the door. So I will cut the door in two parts, the down one removable and the upper one will be the moving door. . Before cutting the mesh panel (still to order) to cover the outer of the acrylic panel (to hide the frame and standups), I will make a paper one with an opening centered with the logo , just to visualize how wide can be this opening. Pictures will follow.

post-101875-1218833551_thumb.jpg

View on the mobo tray with standups, apple logo onto the mobo tray and frame to lock the external acrylic door with the latch

post-101875-1218833560_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1218833567_thumb.jpg

I took out the cables for the two removed suspended hdd's. Remains the ones for the optical drive.The power will be supplied by the original thinner black cable on the right , which now supplies for the yellow cable from the upper fans. The two fans will be connected directly to the mobo, still have to finish the soldering for the three wires plug. The bigger original black powers the two upper hdd's via two self made 4 pins plugs. By lowering the bottom plate, I will have enough room for the Power Supply Unit.

post-101875-1218833573_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1218833580_thumb.jpg

Seeing the last pic, you can understand why I was depressed after having discovered too late the TorqueX86 way to keep the back panel untouched, because I had already cut it at the time. But I am still looking for a broken case with a good back panel to do the same way.

After my night shift, will try to take some picts from the back side of the Mac Pro inner case.

Thank you a lot nano2nd, for your encouragement; I need some cause it is far away to be fininshed. You're right just keep it positive!!

HacOSXuser, haha! now you start to see it. :censored2:

About the back panel, just bought a damaged G5 case ; will transfer the back panel onto my case and use the TorqueX86 method to keep the panel unchanged from the outside.

External panel in two pieces is attached onto the frame, apple logo draw on paper painted in grey to visualize the mesh panel. Will add comments and pictures on aqua-mac.com and paste here later...

I was happylly surprised to get the original cables with the second G5 HDD Cage. I modded four double plugs to power the four HDD with the cables. One is the non used double 12V from my Power Supply which fire up the Proc at start-up, because I am using the one with eight pins. The three others come from old PSU's for PC soldered with the wires from molex plugs. The two black molex plugs of the HDD cables will be used to power the internal fans, upper fans and back fans.

The back Audio is working but not the Front panel. I checked the forum : [How To] Solutions for Audio Problems, A Compilation (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34075), and installed the drivers without succes .

I would love to make a diagram for this if you can give me the pinout for the 8 pin wire( the hdd and drive cable)

I would love to make a diagram for this if you can give me the pinout for the 8 pin wire( the hdd and drive cable)

No prob. you're doing always a good job. Give me some days, very busy now with job and mod of the two cases. :)