My nearly finished Hack the Tosh

Baudouin

145 posts in this topic

easier to make a rack or adapt a standard 19" (or even an also kind standard 24") rack mount system?

http://www.powerrack.de/Dokumente/E-Home.html

http://www.custom-consoles.com/Rackmount-Mac-g5.php

I have seen a server room with MacPros lined up in rows. A friend works for Colorado State University and they have some Mac specific stuff they do with their Natural Resources and Ecology Laboratory.

I ordered a new pump, the 12V Laing DDC-1T Pro 10W with XSPC Acrylic Pomp Top, but it is out of stock for the moment.

ddctop.jpg

In the meantime, I was browsing for some Macpro parts and I found this shop http://www.powerbookmedic.com in the US with parts @ very low price like :

MacPro HDD harness cable 9,95$ MacPro HDD carrier cage 9,95$

applemacp13054371152257.jpgmacprohdbracket.jpg

Does someone know this seller ?

Does someone know this seller ?

Yes, I have used them in the past and always been reasonably pleased. If you're getting anything exterior (say, a replacement side panel) call and ask specifically about the condition and whether they can pick a good one for you. My first experience was so-so as there was no real description of the quality, my second much better after I called. They're legit, as they say, so no worries about whether you'll get your items or not :D

• Like 1

Update about the LCS, the Laing pump has been delivered and I start to connect it with the tank-reservoir and the tube transporting the Liquid to the G5 system case . I couldn' t resist to make another "serpentin" between the pump and the tank.

0603131606.jpg0603131604.jpg

Still have to clean the copper before painting some vernis and putting back the system in the G5 case and reattach all the waterblocks onto the Mobo and finally reconnecting the two cases. The cables work will be done later.

• Like 1

I wish i could have an original LCS system from the DP 2.5/2.7 or Quad ... those two Laing DDC pumps and the rad will make my current mod look as original as it is now ... but with my beloved watercooling as i have in the first one. Nice new work for a classic mod =)

Btw, nice work with the plumbing ... i still never tried it after more than 5 years watercooling and i'm curious to test it someday, is it really worth the effort? I mean, did you notice a real and noticeable improvement for the temps using copper plumbing rather than plastic tubes? (theoretically it should)

Edited by SirKeldon
  • Like 1

I wish i could have an original LCS system from the DP 2.5/2.7 or Quad ... those two Laing DDC pumps and the rad will make my current mod look as original as it is now ... but with my beloved watercooling as i have in the first one. Nice new work for a classic mod =)Btw, nice work with the plumbing ... i still never tried it after more than 5 years watercooling and i'm curious to test it someday, is it really worth the effort? I mean, did you notice a real and noticeable improvement for the temps using copper plumbing rather than plastic tubes? (theoretically it should)
I have seen on ebay.co.uk several single and double Laing pumps from DP G5 for reasonable prices .Thanks for the kind words. I don't remember how low was the temp, but I remember it was really low. I think I wrote it somewhere in my thread, I 'll check it. But the first motivation was esthetic the use of copper plumbing.

Update : The CPU was overclocked @3,27GHz from 2,4GHz and the memory Frequency from 800 MHz to 913 MHz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I read this article on G5Modders http://www.g5modders...5-resource-page,

explaining How-to install the Wifi with the Apple Airport card from a Macbook connected in a mini PCI-e to PCI-e 1 which I bought here:

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/320890941863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I found also on Macbidouille.com this sheet with all the compatible Apple cards :

https://spreadsheets...=ru&output=html

And I tried the Airport card from my son's White Macbook 2009, like this one :

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/261165446696?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The problem is that the card is recognized by the system but I cannot have it working. I read among the comments in the G5Modders article that someone deleted the Airport card and recreated it in the Network System Preferences and it works, but I cannot turn Airport on.

Did anyone had tried to install WiFi on his Hackintosh yet ?

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen what incredible job MiniHack is doing

hotswapperadapted.jpg

and Porto's great job :

post-1141566-0-99311200-1364562930_thumb.jpg

I was wondering how could I use my three HDD's trays with the MacPro HDD harness cables ? I will have to build a back panel to attach the harness cables, ...I don't think the panel used by MiniHack and Phunczz would work for me, the 2x Corsair SATA 6Gbps Upgrade kit for 800D.

h50sOIo.jpg

Knowing Apple, the distances between each Harddisk are quite not standard.

• Like 1

I was talking about the distance between each connectors, but Phunczz found out that with the MacPro sleds, the HDD's are not in contact with the Corsair SATA kit connectors . :(

• Like 1

I can give you some measurements.

On the Corsair backplane the vertical distance between each SATA connector is 38mm.

On the Lian Li 3 SATA board it is 35mm.

I have just measured a G5 holder and it looks to me like they are approximately 35mm!!!!!!

That may mean it is possible to attach a backplane to the original drive holder without too much hassle. I have got rid of most of my originals but I will pull one from a machine and see how practical this is.

Stay tuned......I may be making my own drive holders redundant!

• Like 1

MiniHack, I will be watching you. :D Thanks for the measurements. So I may use a Lian Li 3 SATA board with the G5 HDD older, hummm...

Lian Li do make a 2 sata board as well.....so if the spacing is the same that would be the logical choice. The 3 sata though can be chopped down to 2 without problem or loss of functionality.

I just need to take apart another G5 to double check how it'd work at the back. My suspicion is it might not fit in the regular placing up top and right but may work as an array elsewhere perhaps underslung from the DVD shelf.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Some old news :

I switch all the internal parts

Mobo : ASUS P6X58D with BIOS v 0216 10/16/09

PSU : Original G5 with cables reorganized and soldered with the ATX connectors plug, PCIE plugs, CPU plugs

CPU : Xeon L5650 @ 2.66GHz overclocked @ 3.00GHz (aircooling)

GPU : GeForce GTX 480

Ram : KHX 1600C9D3K3/12GX 3*4Gb triple channel

Still working on the copper tubes, I had to adapt some with the graphic card.

• 1 year later...

Begin February I successfully installed El Capitan 10.11.3 with Clover v2.3k r3346 . Thank U all for the great job : ErmaC, Slice, blackosx and the others.

In the meantime I bought a new Mobo Gigabyte Z97-D3H for my next build with Osmozis.