How to get 2-Finger (or 1-finger) scrolling working on MOST laptop trackpads

ranova

296 posts in this topic

Wow thx mate!

Works perfect on my Toshiba A100-683 (X & Z scrolling, even with 1 finger at some pressure).

At first nothing changed when I edited the treshold, till I found out I was editting ALPS instead of Synaptics values :D . Setting: 100 seems to work best.

Thx. :)

Snoomy,

I ran into identical issues on my Lenovo T60p. Once I did get my trackpad working with the driver I could move it around for about 2-3 seconds, then the mouse cursor would freeze. I tried hooking up an external keyboard/mouse after this happened to restart the daemon, but no luck. The trackpad still wouldn't work. This happened after every successive restart.

I'm just using the sidebar in windows or just using Spacebar/Shift-spacebar...it sucks, but it'll have to do. I try to keep an external mouse handy for when I'm on the laptop at work, etc.

-P2

thank you a lot for you information.

My laptop is a corporate one, so it's almost always at office.

I use mighty mouse with it's ball-scroll.

Just wanted to get "more Mac" from my OSx86 :P

A bit of a strange one... haven't read about anyone else having this issue.

I have it working with scroll and clicking and all but when tracking using the trackpad the pointer freezes. I let go and start tracking again and it works for another few moments.

Same with drag and drop, if I double tap the trackpad and start dragging something I can drag it for about an inch but then it stop. If I use the button to drag it's fine and doesn't freeze.

I have an XPS M1530 with alps trackpad.

Ok, Dell D620. Alps trackpad. Default config basically works just fine. I bumped it to 100 just to make things a bit better. BUT one I launch FFScrollDaemon (I pulled it back out of startup items so I could test) the trackpad goes from zippy to SLOOOOOOWWW. If I push the slider in the Trackpad pref's all the way to the right, it still takes 6 complete times across the trackpad to get from one side of the screen to the other. Normally I set it higher than most, because I can control it at higher speeds and it makes it easier to do thing with a flick of a finger..

A RF usb mouse pointer is unaffected completely. (which is nice, but I pick up and go a lot and have to use just the trackpad quite often)

Any thoughts or ideas? The scrolling is glory, but I the mouse moving this slowly makes me want to pound my head against a wall..

Also, and here is a random thing I noticed. If I start the daemon, and then kill it, even on the same line (ala sudo /usr/local/bin/FFScrollDaemon;sudo killall -9 FFScrollDaemon) scrolling *still* works just fine.. I've repeated the killall and it doesn't find any other processes.. Odd. Also, if you boot with just the kext (not loading the Daemon), tapping works (yay!!) but scrolling is all over the place. It's very "cracked out."

Anyway, I'd really like to figure out how to solve the pointer speed. I'm still tweaking things over here, but having no luck thus far.

Thanks!

Major Edit: I discovered my problem. For whatever reason, despite the fact that I have an ALPS trackpad (Yes, I'm quite sure) It has been using the Synaptics settings.. I don't know if it's how the plist is structured, but upon editing those, I fixed my problem straight away. So if your ALPS isn't working right, try editing the Synaptics section instead.

Cheers!!

Two finger scroll working with ACER Aspire 5672. Had to manually copy the ApplePS2 kext that came with the package into my Extensions folder otherwise the mouse driver wouldn't load. This wasn't part of the instructions on the first page. Perhaps it was left out or the package installer has a few bugs.

what value did u use with zAcceptThreshold, mine was 75 then it worked fine but only with one fingure!!!

I just used the default values which work alright. I haven't tried tweaking the plist to get the trackpad feeling perfectly natural yet.

thanks for that man! works great on Compaq Presario 1500/Evo N1020v (Synaptics Trackpad v5.8)

Here's a simple shell script for editing the plist (located in the same directory as the script), copying it to the global preferences (setting owner to root) and the user preferences (using user account) and for restarting FFScrollDaemon. Password is also used for nano editor in case the file owner is another user.

And: my customized plist, edited tap/drag timings, sensitivity, speed, scroll thereshold and scroll accept/decline values for Synaptics Part of plist.

By the way: is it possible to use scrolling only on the "normal" windows scroll areas by editing the driver and/or FFScrollDaemon?

edit_plist.zip

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.zip

Cool! Works! Easy.

But...it seems to have slowed down the mouse speed....

I have under mouse and keyboard settings the mouse speed max. But it's only about maybe a tick or two less than half way normally.

I remember having the mouse speed at half or one tick below was perfect. Now I'm a little slower than that at maximum speed.

The threshold is about 80...seems to work...but I guess that won't effect my mouse speed.

Anyway to get the speed back up?

Anyone has a Sony (alps) cant seem to get a good track speed, 2 finger scrolling works fine, Mouse Speed is i guess a little above slow.

set both synaptics and Alps level at 107

(for some reason i had to set both to make my pad work)

thanks alot

Cool! Works! Easy.But...it seems to have slowed down the mouse speed....I have under mouse and keyboard settings the mouse speed max. But it's only about maybe a tick or two less than half way normally.I remember having the mouse speed at half or one tick below was perfect. Now I'm a little slower than that at maximum speed.The threshold is about 80...seems to work...but I guess that won't effect my mouse speed.Anyway to get the speed back up?
move the mouse in login window right after booting mac os (not just logging out). with my synaptics the cursor was much too fast, after logging in and starting FFScrollDaemon the speed was "normal". this is the "speedScale" Setting in alps or synaptics section (depending of your touchpad). set <key>scaleTrackpadSpeed</key><true/> and <key>speedScale</key><integer>X</integer> (set an integer for x, 400 worked for me; high value = fast, small value = slow) in the plist file.
i have a little problem.i can no more drag items.what can i do?MJ
try setting these values in the section (alps or synaptics) matching your pad: <key>maxTapDragRevTime</key> <integer>50000000</integer> <key>maxTapDragTime</key> <integer>250000000</integer> <key>minTapDragTime</key> <integer>25000000</integer> <key>minTapDuration</key> <integer>2500000</integer>these are the timing settings in nano-seconds setting the minimum and maximum time for recognizing a touchpad tap as dragging. these values worked for me.but: i can't drag windows with touchpad tapping, only file/folder icons and other objects

try setting these values in the section (alps or synaptics) matching your pad: <key>maxTapDragRevTime</key> <integer>50000000</integer> <key>maxTapDragTime</key> <integer>250000000</integer> <key>minTapDragTime</key> <integer>25000000</integer> <key>minTapDuration</key> <integer>2500000</integer>these are the timing settings in nano-seconds setting the minimum and maximum time for recognizing a touchpad tap as dragging. these values worked for me.but: i can't drag windows with touchpad tapping, only file/folder icons and other objects

i've tried at least 10 different values. i got the window drag, but it was unusable (to get it, i had to try dragging the window at least 10 times).

anyway, thanks, if you want to try you can (i don't know what timings can i use), in fact it's all about that timings.

MJ

now... am i supposed to install this ALPS driver even though i have a synaptics touchpad? im running a Acer Aspire 3680 iATKOS 10.5.2 and i dont want to screw anything up. you didnt really make it very clear what to do if you have a synaptics touchpad, only ALPS.

i've tried at least 10 different values. i got the window drag, but it was unusable (to get it, i had to try dragging the window at least 10 times).

anyway, thanks, if you want to try you can (i don't know what timings can i use), in fact it's all about that timings.

MJ

What's the values for the window drag? It never happened to me.

I think the main difficulty of drag is because of sensitivity not because of timing.

since trackpad got so sensitive after using FFS scroll, it is almost impossible to make the second tap which is necessary for starting drag in the exact same spot as the first tap.

I wish someone comes up with a filtering function that allows FFS scroll to tolerate the difference between first spot and second spot.

I'm getting used to click button.. easier than focusing on not losing the same spot.

I don't understand how people have used dragging function of FFS scroll. Or, maybe there's something we don't know.. haha

now... am i supposed to install this ALPS driver even though i have a synaptics touchpad? im running a Acer Aspire 3680 iATKOS 10.5.2 and i dont want to screw anything up. you didnt really make it very clear what to do if you have a synaptics touchpad, only ALPS.
You can use it. After installing the sensitivity could be higher than before, you have to slow down by setting speedScale value in the plist file. You will probably have trouble with light taps on the pad or to start dragging operations.EDIT: make a backup of your kext before installing the driver or you won't be able to undo the changes.
What's the values for the window drag? It never happened to me.I think the main difficulty of drag is because of sensitivity not because of timing.since trackpad got so sensitive after using FFS scroll, it is almost impossible to make the second tap which is necessary for starting drag in the exact same spot as the first tap. I wish someone comes up with a filtering function that allows FFS scroll to tolerate the difference between first spot and second spot.I'm getting used to click button.. easier than focusing on not losing the same spot.I don't understand how people have used dragging function of FFS scroll. Or, maybe there's something we don't know.. haha
sensitivity is a problem of the driver. in login window (after turning on your mac) ffscroll isn't running, it's getting loaded after first login. there you see the real sensitivity of the driver which is much higher than with the normal kext. so the new kext has to be modified to match threshold and sensitivity of the original kext. maybe another key can be inserted in the plist (which is actually not in it) to set these values when loading ffscroll.