Atheros Network Drivers

TheMaxx32000

381 posts in this topic

I got a cheap ($14.95 US) Airlink 101 PCI b/g card and used the kext and it worked like a charm (A logo on the box said Atheros Super G) No kext editing needed. The card is a AWLH4030 Super G™ Wireless PCI Adapter

where did you get it so cheap? would post a link?

My HP Compaq W500 works fine with 10.4.5. :D 10.4.4 didn't work though...

Edit: Just a clarification. I am running 10.4.4 on my test laptop, but I just grabbed some networking kexts from the 10.4.5 Combo Update (on Apple's site), and used Pacifist to extract them. http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...45forintel.html

Thanks Cyrana for the info... I downloaded the update package from the link and extracted the package. I used Pacifist also and replaced BOTH IO80211Family.kext AND IONetworkFamily.kext, but that totally screwed my network connection. I then replaced IONetworkFamily.kext back to the original one on my 10.4.3 DVD and kept IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 upgrate .... and guess what ... IT WORKED!!!

I'm typing this right now through my wireless connection!!!!

By the way, I'm running on 10.4.3 with the Jas patch 4.2 and my wireless card is a generic (internal) miniPCI Atheros based a/b/g card I believe similar to the Gigabyte brand.

Now remember: If you're running 10.4.3 download the 10.4.5 update and only add the IO80211Family.kext to your extensions folder.

Good luck to all :2cents:

Syldaril.

Thanks for info Syldaril, it didn't work for me with my HP NC6000/W500 combo.

I also tried my DLink DWL-G630 which is Atheros based.

The AP icons shows up in the menubar, but the only option is to power off card. It is displayed as AR5001-0000-0000.

It shows up in profiler as VEN 5772, DEV 26.

I tried adding these to the info.plist in the driver in the IO80211Family.kext, but no change.

I don't have a problem buying a different card, but I would really like to know what I can do to get my W500 integrated card to work.

Thanks in advance.

hm

Cyrana, can you be more specific at to WHICH kexts you replaced.

I have 10.4.4 running on an HP Nc6000

It has the integrated Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit and the W500.

I had to add a driver from tinhead to get the Nic to work, and now I want to try to get the wireless working.

If I replace the IONetworking with 10.4.5's then add tinheads driver to the plugins, it breaks my integrated nic, and the wireless is not detected either.

Pointers or advice please?

Thanks in advance.

hm

All I did was replace IONetworking and the IO80211 kext, nothing else and the W500 works.

Thanks Cyrana for the info... I downloaded the update package from the link and extracted the package. I used Pacifist also and replaced BOTH IO80211Family.kext AND IONetworkFamily.kext, but that totally screwed my network connection. I then replaced IONetworkFamily.kext back to the original one on my 10.4.3 DVD and kept IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 upgrate .... and guess what ... IT WORKED!!!

I'm typing this right now through my wireless connection!!!!

By the way, I'm running on 10.4.3 with the Jas patch 4.2 and my wireless card is a generic Atheros based a/b/g card I believe similar to the Gigabyte brand.

Now remember: If you're running 10.4.3 download the 10.4.5 update and only add the IO80211Family.kext to your extensions folder.

Good luck to all :)

Syldaril.

Thanks, Syldaril. :) I meant to reply earlier, but what you did is the same thing I did, but I have a 10.4.4 base system. :)

If it helps anyone, make sure you have the latest NC6000 BIOS from HP's site. I have whatever the latest was as of a month or so ago (not been updated in a bit anyway). Then make sure you do a repair permissions to be safe, and perhaps check dmesg after bootup if it isn't working, etc.

Edit: Pacifist will let you extract kexts. Just look around in the install packages a bit, there are a few of them, but one of them has IO80211 and quite a few others. If anyone puts the kexts up online and links...well, just don't do that. :)

Mikebees:

1 - are you sure you have the Intel version of 10.4.5 update?

2 - Mount the dmg file and copy the .pkg file somewhere.

3 - Open the pkg file with Pacifist.

4 - The kext is in /System/Library/Extensions. Extract it somewhere.

Sorry if this is too simplified for what your asking. :-)

hm

i'll just post how i got my ar5212 working (163c0013, i think) for 10.4.3. x86.

download the 10.4.5 update and get the kext (io80211family.kext) from archive.pax.gz (if i remember correctly). it will only work (for me anyway) if you use the original ionetworkfamily.kext that installed with 10.4.3. put this kext into \system\library\extensions\ . Then in terminal type:

sudo -s

chmod -R 755 io80211family.kext

chown -R root:wheel io80211family.kext

then restart and it should just work, set up from system preferences.

wicked!

Finally got my nc6000 to work.

Only WEP is supported, WPA is not working.

But WEP is ok for now.

I kept the the IONetworkingFamily from my 10.4.3 install and only installed the IO80211Family.kext, repaired it a few times with the instructions on the 2nd page here and rebooted a few times.

Airport now shows up!

:D

i have a d-link dwl-G510. it has an atheros chipset. i have the 10.4.3 ionetworking kext and the 10.4.5 IO80211Family kext installed. i corrected the permissions with terminal. i rebooted and went into network prefs but still nothing.

the ven id = 11AB and the dev id = 1FA6

i tried editing the info.plist of atheros kext located inside the IO80211Family kext. under IOMatch i put in the ven id,dev id to match the others in the list.

after this i corrected the permissions again. and rebooted. but still i found nothing in network prefs.

is there something i am missing?

Hmmm Panja I'm using WPA encryption at University and it works without any problems...

Hey TribesMan,

Are you also on a HP nc6000 with a w400 wifi card build in?

If so I would need to check it out again...

Im posting this from my nc6000 wpa enabled went from 10.4.3 to 10.4.4 using dvd install then updated to 10.4.5 airport was there but not turned on then i did the following

edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and change "en0" to "en1" and "0" to "1" as below:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

After the change, reboot.

worked for me with w500 on nc6000