[Review] PNY Verto Nvidia 6600GT

14 posts in this topic

Today, in Vipersfate's Tech Review!

The powerful PNY Verto Nvidia 6600GT 128MB AGP 8X Video Card!

PNYVerto6600GT.jpg

:happymac::D:):):star_smile: out of 5!

I have been using this video card for about 1.5 years. My current system is a Gateway E-Series BTO.

I'm a gamer, so I expect high quality graphics from something that promises just that. I actually use to loathe Nvidia cards, no reason why, I was a big ATi fan. I had a Radeon 9250 128 MB Video card before I purchased this one.

The amazing speed increase with the Nvidia is phenominal! The FPS on many games has jumped nearly 200% from the other video card. This video card is OpenGL and Direct X compatable, which makes it even better in my opinion!

If anyone has a bit extra money, and don't feel like shelling out an arm and a leg for a fantastic game experience and performance, check out the 6600GT from PNY Technologies.

• 2 weeks later...

Another option to the GT card, is a non- GT version of a 6600 with 256MB of RAM. this card is xcellent for people on a budget but that want support for the newer pixel shaders, and DX 9.0c. it performs well, and the nicest thing about it, is you can find soem out there that have a passive cooling option (at least for the pci-e versions) so people with mini, or lan-party casses can use the card and get good performance without taking up much space. this card (depending on brand) can also overclock fairly well (for instance my XFX is clocked at 450/700, but i had to upgrade the cooling) using any number of utilities, such as coolbits or anything else out there, if you have the money go for a 7800gtx, but if you want a card with good performance that can be had for around $100 USD, this is the card for you.

I've had an ATI X800Pro, a GeForce FX 5200, GeForce FX 5700LE, and finally a 7800GT (my current one).

Out of all of those, I can honestly say that I will always be buying nVidia cards. The ATi X800Pro I had, lasted one week before it suddenly died for no reason! I then exchanged it for my 7800GT, and I'm loving it. I would say the GTX version is a little overpriced still, however, that was last time I looked :P

6600 is quite fast I have this with silent pipe, in my opinion is one of the best value graphics card on the market today. You have shader 3, HDR, DX 9.c new driver have OpenGL 2.0. I was wondering on ATI 1300X but it lacks on OpenGL. They are on this same price. The good thing on ATI was that she has HW HD video support. But I see last on guru 3D that she can,t do HW HD on resolution 780, 1080, and NVIDIA have this support in future Detonator 85.00 This will work on 6600 and better with full futures with HW HD decoding in all resolutions.

I ma wondering it this card is good for the future.

I think that ATI have best support on Vista system I reed that she make some driver framework for it and Microsoft in his specification took that you must have ATI 8500 (I don’t remember for sure) or better ATI. Microsoft don’t give any clause for NVIDA requirements. It will work I now form NVIDIA website but I think that Microsoft prefer ATI. I am wondering what with OpenGl programs and games, this best one are on OpenGL and they work better on NVIDIA card. We all now that Microsoft make some silly tricks with OpenGl on Vista.

Another point is that this card don’t have HW on Mac OS X and in my opinion it will not be. Macvida take good job but there are only one busy man that coding. It’s look that they to close. And we all wait for “great news soon”.

alicheusz, I take it english isn't your first language? Anyways, I think macvidia deserves a little slack. Based on what I've read on their sight, it's quite a tedious process. It could be that when they made the announcement, they had anticipated an iniment breakthrough. I do agree, they could use more people working on the project, but then again, the lone guy would then have to fill the new person in on all what he's already done/tried. I don't mind waiting for FREE things.

quantum88 Yes English is not my first language. This forum is one of way to make it a little better. If you don’t understood then at last I make you laugh :(.

Macvida web make some kind of good felling about NVIDIA drivers on mac. It look that it is possible and they know how to do that. They even announcement new alpha drivers. People wait long time for some news from macvidia. I think that this project is already dead. And we have it, “great news soon”. 40 day after we have nothing, this show that this is rally hard and long work. Diegomax shouldn’t post this news so early. (I think that this is wrong in English :D). I am not complain about Macvidia. This just take a lot of time. Engineering of these drivers take way more time then develop new version of os. You newer will be up to date. Maybe they make 2D acceleration for 10.4.3 but then we will have 10.4.6 or more. In this case NVIDIA is not good card for MAC OS X until Apple make some driver’s

I'm sorry but I totally disagree on the 7800GTX being the best "bang for the buck" card right now - The X1900XT beats the living hell out of it and its 499 on Newegg...

In a laptop? I got my 7800GTX from dell for $349cdn, after selling my original card, a 6800go the upgrade cost me $170cdn

edit, but I have an X300 on the way too, to play with in osx given the zero nvidia support

I just played about with a 20" intel Imac, and I love it. I am going to spice up my 2 yr old dell 8300 from a 5200nvidia card to an ATI card and see how OSX works there dual booting.

Honestly, if I was in the market for a new home system then I would get the imac, it looks so cool; but the 8300 with the 17" LCD has got lots of life left in it.

• 4 months later...