Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet

575 posts in this topic

Just to add little info, I tried every daemon I could find out there and they won't work with my tablet. At one point, TabletMagic b12 gave me some reading in the testing pane when I approached the pen, but I can't even reproduce that right now... The funny thing is that the console log of each version is quite different. And all of them won't recognize the tablet at all when "don't Query digitizer" is not selected (which I guess means they all just asume there's a tablet there)...

I guess people with the multitouch screen are going to have to wait until smart people in this forum figure this out.

Cheers,

P.

potuz, any chance you can boot into linux and pass me the "sudo dmesg" and the "sudo lshw" output? I'll see if I can find anyone locally who has a MultiTouch X61.

Sorry outZider, I'm still in the middle of my trip so I can't reformat the hard drive and install linux... but I'll do that as soon as I get back... there's no way I can put up with Vista, just tried Windows for a few days after 10 years and I'm already pissed off... it's most probably me (that got used to other systems) but I'm getting a few crashes a day.... I'm looking forward to getting rid of Windows in my system...

Thanks a lot again.

Ah, no, no reformatting -- just the live cd, if you have the dock or an external drive. No need to install. :)

Ahh!... right... Anyway, no external drives here, I'll do that on Monday as soon as I get back....

R.

Well, hell, it matches up the same. It really should work. :\

Could it be the Kernel? I noted you're running 9.2.2 vanilla and I'm still with the one I got from Kalyway's Kernel package.

Ginebra:~ heluani$ uname -a
Darwin Ginebra.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Tue Feb  5 16:13:22 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.3.13~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

should I upgrade? if so, it was a matter of just replacing mach_kernel right?

P.

Well i would liek to say thatnk you very much, i sucesffully got my brand new Lenovo R61 running OSX but i have a couple issues and things to note.

I've run all the updates, its running 10.5.2, everything works except for sound and ethernet obviously, but the wireless works (think pad a/b/g), bluetooth, camera, keyboard, pointer, and i even have the battery meter up. However there is one thing pissing me off to no end:

Sleep. I can put the lenovo into sleep fine from the fn+f4, the apple screen, and letting it fall asleep from the engery settings however it wakes up immediately. I even used the little slider at the front that turns off the bluetooth/wireless however it only turns the bluetooth off. Wireless stays running, and even if i manually turn off airport and try to sleep it wakes back up immediatly. Any idea what i can do to fix that?

Things to note: have this dual booted with vista, i orginally formatted GUID and both osx and vista installed fine however when i partioned guid in OSX it ended up making about 5 partions, 3 of which osx saw, 5 of which gparted and Vista saw, when i ran easybcd and tried to restart to OSX i would get the HFS+ error and everything i did to try to fix it failed. Dual booting MBR works fine though.

Also, any clues on an internal a/b/g/n solution that works out of the box with osx and the Lenovo?

Just had a bit of a scare. OSX wouldn't boot, it was hanging on the post Apple logo blue screen and the right 1/4 of the screen was white. It wasn't until I realised that I powered it off in portrait tablet mode in Vista last night that it occured to me what the problem was! Booted Vista, hit the rotate button a few times to make sure it was definitely staying on regular landscape and restarted to try OSX again. It worked.

Could it be the Kernel? I noted you're running 9.2.2 vanilla and I'm still with the one I got from Kalyway's Kernel package.

Did any of you guys install the "Time machine and airport update" from software update? I'm extracting the vanilla kernel right now from it and trying it out... I'm not sure if the System.kext would affect my system or not, so I'm not sure I should install that one as well...

P.

Did any of you guys install the "Time machine and airport update" from software update? I'm extracting the vanilla kernel right now from it and trying it out... I'm not sure if the System.kext would affect my system or not, so I'm not sure I should install that one as well...

Worked fine for me, doing the complete update from the package.

now to upgrade the whole thing....

{censored}, installed all the updates and now the airport card doesn't get recognized... I changed the string in the corresponding Info.plist to 168c,1014 and still nothing.... any advise?

P.

{censored}, installed all the updates and now the airport card doesn't get recognized... I changed the string in the corresponding Info.plist to 168c,1014 and still nothing....

Well, I finally managed to get everything with every update working. Still, with the WACF008 device, the serial port is up but no such luck with TabletMagic. Something surprising is that under certain circumstances

(I'm not sure which, cause I can't concistently reproduce this, but it happen at least 5 times) playing with different versions of the daemon, I get the testing pane to change some number when I approach the pen...

I don't know if this tells you something...

P.

hmm i think i know whatsup with my sleep issue, for some reason the hardware switch on the front only shutsoff the bluetooth in osx, not the wireless, i notice everything i put it to sleep it'll sleep and then ill notice the wifi light flicker for a moment, and it wakes out of sleep. Also for some reason the wifi light isnt on ever normally, bluetooth light is on when bluetooth is enabled however.

hmm i think i know whatsup with my sleep issue, for some reason the hardware switch on the front only shutsoff the bluetooth in osx, not the wireless, i notice everything i put it to sleep it'll sleep and then ill notice the wifi light flicker for a moment, and it wakes out of sleep. Also for some reason the wifi light isnt on ever normally, bluetooth light is on when bluetooth is enabled however.

Do you have the PCCard fix installed? That'll kill your sleep. I tried the PCCard drivers and later removed them.

On my machine the WiFi light no longer works (I 'side-graded' to the Atheros chip) and the hardware switch seems only to affect Bluetooth. Sleep works fine when the hardware switch is at 'off' (no bluetooth but yes WiFi) and doesn't work when the hardware switch is at 'on' (yes bluetooth and WiFi).

Good luck.

Do you have the PCCard fix installed? That'll kill your sleep. I tried the PCCard drivers and later removed them.

On my machine the WiFi light no longer works (I 'side-graded' to the Atheros chip) and the hardware switch seems only to affect Bluetooth. Sleep works fine when the hardware switch is at 'off' (no bluetooth but yes WiFi) and doesn't work when the hardware switch is at 'on' (yes bluetooth and WiFi).

Good luck.

nope, i havent tried the PCCard fix yet because i wanted to get sleep up and running first, i just formatted and now for some reason i cant even get my wifi working. Not sure whats up with either, i didnt think the R61 would be that big of a difference from the X61 hardware wise anyway.....i wonder if it has anything to do with the intregrated camera? Ive got one built in but it only seems to work when using it with "user account" for the user account picture, in everything else its black

• 2 weeks later...
Enclosed is ThinkPadTabletEnabler.kext, in a tar-gz archive. You can use kexthelper to install this extension, it will load before the Apple serial driver and allow the tablet port to be detected successfully. You will have to replace 'PNP0501' with 'WACF004' in your /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist, or to have access to both the tablet and your built in serial port, create an array with both values. An example info.plist is provided.

Once you reboot, you will be able to configure TabletMagic. I have found the following settings to work well:

Extras

> Don't Query Digitizer

> Range 24570x18430

Enabled

Mapping

> Select [all]

> Select [< constrain <]

> Select [max]

Seemed to work okay for me. Select Launch At Startup if it works well for you.

This kext may kernel panic your system or kill your family like the mafia. If it does work for you, let me know, and I'll put it on page 1 and send it to the TabletMagic thread.

Trying to get this tablet function to work Tabletmagic sees it as a tablet and putting the pen on the screen moves it to the bottom corner yet when i went to change where it says replace PN with W .. and it isnt in my file please help

Looked at it now and that name is in there but when ever i put the pen on the screen it moves the cursor to the bottom corner i can move it along but not anywhere else its a thinkpad x41 tablet