Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet

575 posts in this topic

Positive. :( I had a 1490 sitting around here. I popped it in, and the BIOS started whining about an unrecognized network card installed and refused to boot. Sorry to give the bad news. :( I ended up ordering FRU 39T5578, Lenovo ThinkPad Wireless PCI-E AR5BXB6. Spent US$23 plus shipping, works great. I

Just bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=150215103321

I hope it will be ok :(

Bye and thanks!!

Alex

Seems enabling PC Card support also kills the ability to sleep, likely because the hardware on that bus doesn't have drivers, therefore, doesn't register with the Power Manager.
News about ethernet integrated adapter?! It's a strange thing, because ethernet is one of the most compatible devices when you try to make OSX run on PC!!

I've gotten nowhere over this last week. I've successfully been using bluetooth with my cellphone as a dial-up modem, but I've gotten nowhere with tablet, sound, or brightness support. ACPI is a confusing system. The Linux kernel source code helped me out some, but not enough to get anything working, or worth sharing.

Newest issue though, the distorted blue screen with jumping horizontal bars appears on every boot, and no boot options seem to disable it. I've tried -x, -v, "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" and all combinations.

I guess I'll reinstall, again :)

I've gotten nowhere over this last week. I've successfully been using bluetooth with my cellphone as a dial-up modem, but I've gotten nowhere with tablet, sound, or brightness support. ACPI is a confusing system. The Linux kernel source code helped me out some, but not enough to get anything working, or worth sharing.

Newest issue though, the distorted blue screen with jumping horizontal bars appears on every boot, and no boot options seem to disable it. I've tried -x, -v, "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" and all combinations.

I guess I'll reinstall, again :D

No luck from Apple, either. I got it to figure out that it was there, but IOACPIPlatformDevice doesn't give anything to activate an ACPI device that's inactive in the BIOS.

As for the bars, I boot into Vista, and then do a full shutdown, and next boot is usually fine.

nsasch.... you have an X3100 adapter I presume? These work really well once you get the correct kexts installed. you have two choices; either update to 10.5.2 using http://netkas.org/?p=50 or use the attached .kexts (if you use the attached kexts dont go as high as 1680X1050 just go to 1680X1000) otherwise your cursor will be distorted

(edit) forgot to mention that once you have applied the 10.5.2 update you also need to download the 10.5.2 graphics update from apple.com (edit)

install the kext helper and then drag the attached kexts in

you also have to delete appleintegratedfamebuffer from /system/library/extensions and all the appleintelgma950 kexts

Kexthelper http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Softwar...Helper%20b7.zip

Also attached are the kexts you need to get your cardbus working - again use the kexthelper to install these

If you find that you have resolution switching by no QE support then you may have removed the appleintegratedgma3100gl driver bundle - you need to stick this back into the extensions directory and repair permissions (this can be done using the disk utility)

Of course none of this may have anything to do with the issues you are experiencing but I though I would post anyway as it applies to X61/T61 laptops and others may be looking for this info

X3100.rar

IOPCCardFamily_chunnan_Leopard_rev8.zip

Thank you, ixion, but I've already used those updates and kexts and such. Either way though, it'll be helpful to others using the X3100.

I solved my problem by switching the wireless switch on the front of the tablet. When it's on, OSX won't boot reliably. With it off, it boots perfectly, and bluetooth is usable when I turn it on after booting. This might be because I don't have a working wireless card yet? I'm still waiting for my Atheros card from ebay.

nsasch.... you have an X3100 adapter I presume? These work really well once you get the correct kexts installed. you have two choices; either update to 10.5.2 using http://netkas.org/?p=50 or use the attached .kexts (if you use the attached kexts dont go as high as 1680X1050 just go to 1680X1000) otherwise your cursor will be distorted

(edit) forgot to mention that once you have applied the 10.5.2 update you also need to download the 10.5.2 graphics update from apple.com (edit)

install the kext helper and then drag the attached kexts in

you also have to delete appleintegratedfamebuffer from /system/library/extensions and all the appleintelgma950 kexts

Kexthelper http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Softwar...Helper%20b7.zip

Also attached are the kexts you need to get your cardbus working - again use the kexthelper to install these

If you find that you have resolution switching by no QE support then you may have removed the appleintegratedgma3100gl driver bundle - you need to stick this back into the extensions directory and repair permissions (this can be done using the disk utility)

Of course none of this may have anything to do with the issues you are experiencing but I though I would post anyway as it applies to X61/T61 laptops and others may be looking for this info

outzider, you said that "Taruga is working on a new version of the AppleHDA patcher, due out "any time now", which should help us out. Apparently, there are a lot of fixes for the AD198x series, including our AD1984. In the meantime, I , too, use a USB dongle for sound, as I only use headphones anyway.I can't wait for it to be native, though."

Where are those fixes for AD1984 ? Have you ever tried to make it work ? No sound is driving me insane :P

Yeah - if anyone has an update on getting the sound to work that would be sweet; at the moment I have the following not working

1) Onboard intel wifi (3965 or whatever it is)

2) Sound

and this is what I actually came here to post about... 3) sleep

I used IATKOS to install rather than Kalyway as I couldnt get my atheros card to work under Kalyway not sure what's in the IATKOS networking patch that makes it work but I couldnt figure it out

So, does anyone know how I can get my sleep working - if I try and sleep at the moment the screen goes black but the laptop doesnt actually sleep - it just sits there with a black screen and I cant get it respond to me again

So, does anyone know how I can get my sleep working - if I try and sleep at the moment the screen goes black but the laptop doesnt actually sleep - it just sits there with a black screen and I cant get it respond to me again

From what I gather, sleep doesn't work when a device's power manager is not initialized properly. This would be, for instance, any major hardware component without a corresponding driver. This includes your wireless card, and when someone runs their machine in VESA instead of a native video driver. You can try killing your wireless switch, and see if that works. Otherwise, you may have to pull out the wireless card entirely and pick up an Atheros.

Also, are you running vanilla kernel, or the custom ToH kernel?

I have proper X3100 drivers installed - I have 1600X1050 with full QE

There is no driver for the wireless card, however this has not effected other people's ability to sleep - also; when I used Kalyway I was able to sleep - so whats the difference between Kalyway and IATKOS in terms of sleep?

I am pretty sure I am running the vanilla kernel - I selected it during the IATKOS install - as for the EFI version number, I am not sure - how would I go about checking this and upating it if necesarry?

I am pretty sure I am running the vanilla kernel - I selected it during the IATKOS install - as for the EFI version number, I am not sure - how would I go about checking this and upating it if necesarry?

Do you have the updated PC Card drivers? Those prevented sleep for me.

Hey fellas, didn't expect a x61 tablet thread but sure enough! Anyways, thank you for the guide. Everything works the same as you said but to the point. How is your OpenGL and HDD performance with xbench? Can you post your speeds? I think mine may be abnormally slow. Here's what I got:

Results	21.50	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.5.2 (9C31)
	Physical RAM		2048 MB
	Model		Mac Pro
	Drive Type		HTS721010G9SA00
OpenGL Graphics Test	16.87	
	Spinning Squares	16.87	21.40 frames/sec
Disk Test	29.63	
	Sequential	51.78	
		Uncached Write	45.57	27.98 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	48.71	27.56 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	57.35	16.78 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	57.68	28.99 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	20.76	
		Uncached Write	6.82	0.72 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	52.38	16.77 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	68.18	0.48 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	81.49	15.12 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I have the 100gb 7200rpm config from the Lenovo store, btw.

I searched for IOPCCard like you said and installed the new drivers to get my cardbus working - are you saying you experience sleep issues with these drivers too?

Yeah, I mentioned it above. It appears that installing those drivers nukes our ability to sleep. Something is off when registering those with the PowerManagement system, but I haven't had time to take a look at it.

As I don't use any PC Card devices, I'm not too hurt about it yet. I still want a working tablet.

Hey fellas, didn't expect a x61 tablet thread but sure enough! Anyways, thank you for the guide. Everything works the same as you said but to the point. How is your OpenGL and HDD performance with xbench? Can you post your speeds? I think mine may be abnormally slow.

I did notice the OpenGL test sucking a lot, but oddly enough, Halo and WoW seem to run at a decent clip. Something's very off with that test, and I'm curious how it runs on a x3100 MacBook. As for the drive speeds, mine come off around the same. Would be curious how it compares with Vista.

Any news for the sound ?

:wacko:

I'm also without sound (X61s with AD1984HD card): actually Leopard recognize a Intel HD Audio device , and volume sliders do work. But no sound comes out of speakers, nor from headphones connected to line out.

So basically it looks like the audio card is working. I suppose Taruga AppleHDA patcher 2.0, if will ever be released, won't fix AD198x cards on notebooks.

So basically it looks like the audio card is working. I suppose Taruga AppleHDA patcher 2.0, if will ever be released, won't fix AD198x cards on notebooks.

This is misleading. The 10.5.2 update, if looked at with a library viewer, does have nubs for the AD1984 chipset, and other 198x chipsets. We unfortunately just have to wait patiently or beg someone else.

Hi,

OutZider, just wondered if you had got any further with getting the touchscreen to work on the X61?

I would love a tablet mac and the X61 looks like a nice piece of kit.

Thanks,

gambcl

OutZider, just wondered if you had got any further with getting the touchscreen to work on the X61?

I would love a tablet mac and the X61 looks like a nice piece of kit.

A tiny bit further. I have it finally accessing the ACPI table and activating the device, but I can't get it to rescan the resources. So, in short, no, nothing yet. Ever so close, though.

Sounds promising OutZider.

I am really tempted by this machine. I have found the Atheros card on Ebay.

Can I ask a couple of questions?

What optical drive did you use to install with?

How is the power management when running Leopard? I see you mention that sleep works

but does it run at full power with fans blasting all the time? i.e. How is the battery life?

Do the PC Card drivers still kill the sleep?

How usable and stable generally do you find the X61 under Leopard?

Thanks,

gambcl.

BTW, I'm curious how do you guys come up with the mods for supporting new hw in OS X?

I guess you're using the Darwin kernel source and add new kexts? I'm a developer myself

but haven't done much at the hw level, would love to help out if I decide to get one.