CardBus/PCMCIA PC Cards for Leopard

~Eureka

1,073 posts in this topic

Hello Chun-nan.

I tested a version test4, with the version rev5.

Erase the Extensions.kext before changing the archives.

Now the OSX not restart. He's kernel panic. But it is not the problem of incompatible versions.

He says he does not find the IOPCIFamily.kext.

I will try to recover soon.

When back with my Leopard I stand here the dmesg.

Thanks a lot.

Junior

Hello Chun-nan.

I tested a version test4, with the version rev5.

Erase the Extensions.kext before changing the archives.

Now the OSX not restart. He's kernel panic. But it is not the problem of incompatible versions.

He says he does not find the IOPCIFamily.kext.

I will try to recover soon.

When back with my Leopard I stand here the dmesg.

Thanks a lot.

Junior

Kinda sounds like you didn't fix the permissions - did you install the kexts by hand, or did you use kexthelper?

It's definitely worth doing the permissions manually - diskutil doesn't always sort them.

EqUaTe

Hi EqUaTe.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes.. i set correct permissions and diskutil repairPermissions.

rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

rm -rf IOPC*

cp -rp ~junior/test4_rev5/IOPC* .

chown -R root:wheel IOPC*

chmod -R 755 IOPC*

diskutil repairpermissions

reboot

Thats all folks :P

Thanks a lot

Kinda sounds like you didn't fix the permissions - did you install the kexts by hand, or did you use kexthelper?

It's definitely worth doing the permissions manually - diskutil doesn't always sort them.

EqUaTe

equate, which o2micro controller do you have? mine is 1217:7134

do you have also smartcard reader on same pcmcia controller?

chun-nan:

my pcmcia and express slot worked fine with ver3 of kext with card readers/wifi/firewire but i get often kernel panic using the slot, and i cannot solve internal firewire memory error problem (pcmcia bus is linked or shared with firewire somehow).

darwin boot also gives me 1 slot enabled and 1 with "!IOPCCardBridge::checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/cardbus/pci settings of 0x0" or "bad bridge mapping at 0xd0401000 (the memory location change sometimes)

do you think the error is linked to the smartcard reader? (my pcmcia has 1 pcmcia slot, 1 express slot, 1 smartcard reader).

i was thinking maybe memory error of firewire can be solved fixing the pcmcia slot.

can you also add my device into iopccardfamily so i don't have to hex edit every time i need to test it or mod something into?

ripped from dmesg of a boot with a pcmcia firewire800 plugged in:

Firewire OHCI: start - unable to get device memory

Firewire OHCI: start - unable to get device memory

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe:

IOPCCard notice: Bad bridge mapping at 0xd0401000!

not found.

IOPCCardBridge::start failed

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: O2Micro OZ711M1 rev 21

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_alloc(bus 11): vendor 0x104c, device 0x8025

IOCardBusDevice: binding socket 0 function 0 to card services.

IOPCCard info: cs: cb_config(bus 11)

IOPCCard info: fn 0 bar 1: mem 0xdc004000-0xdc0047ff

IOPCCard info: fn 0 bar 2: mem 0xdc000000-0xdc003fff

IOPCCard info: irq 20

FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8025 CardBus now active, GUID 000108000000fbf8; max speed s800.

equate, which o2micro controller do you have? mine is 1217:7134

do you have also smartcard reader on same pcmcia controller?

chun-nan:

my pcmcia and express slot worked fine with ver3 of kext with card readers/wifi/firewire but i get often kernel panic using the slot, and i cannot solve internal firewire memory error problem (pcmcia bus is linked or shared with firewire somehow).

darwin boot also gives me 1 slot enabled and 1 with "!IOPCCardBridge::checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/cardbus/pci settings of 0x0" or "bad bridge mapping at 0xd0401000 (the memory location change sometimes)

do you think the error is linked to the smartcard reader? (my pcmcia has 1 pcmcia slot, 1 express slot, 1 smartcard reader).

i was thinking maybe memory error of firewire can be solved fixing the pcmcia slot.

can you also add my device into iopccardfamily so i don't have to hex edit every time i need to test it or mod something into?

Mine is 1217:7135.

How did you add yours in? Did you compile it yourself, or did you hexedit it?

There is a smartcard reader, yes, but I don't think I have anything that would plug into it, so I haven't used it and I'm not terribly fussed at the moment :P

When do you get kernel panics? And what sort of errors do you see? (Can you take a picture of the panic and post it?)

Cheers,

EqUaTe

Hi EqUaTe.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes.. i set correct permissions and diskutil repairPermissions.

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

rm -rf IOPC*

cp -rp ~junior/test4_rev5/IOPC* .

chown -R root:wheel IOPC*

chmod -R 755 IOPC*

diskutil repairpermissions

reboot

Thats all folks :P

Thanks a lot

Did you remove kext cache file?

# rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Sorry fakedotbr. I didn't notice it before. :)

Yes. I remove

I will take a picture of the kernel panic and then back to rev3 back to the normal boot.

Thanks

This step isn't strictly necessary - you can use the boot flag -f as an alternative.

Rebuilds the kext cache (mkext)

EqUaTe

How did you add yours in? Did you compile it yourself, or did you hexedit it?

i've hexedited adding my id

There is a smartcard reader, yes, but I don't think I have anything that would plug into it, so I haven't used it and I'm not terribly fussed at the moment :P

mee too,but maybe it can fix my firewire problem fixing its memory address or what doesn't work,.

do you have also same error as mine in pcmcia kext? (1 is loaded, the second one gives an error or vice versa)

When do you get kernel panics? And what sort of errors do you see? (Can you take a picture of the panic and post it?)

kp is visible if i leave the pcmcia plugged @ boot, if i plug pcmcia when osx is alreay "on" sometimes the pc freeze and i can only power it off.

i'll do some pictures tonight so i can show you.

This step isn't strictly necessary - you can use the boot flag -f as an alternative.

Rebuilds the kext cache (mkext)

EqUaTe

However you do it, rebuilds kext cache file is necessary when you put new kext file in extensions directory. :P There is another way to rebuild kext cache file, using command line, but I don't remember it. :) Failed to rebuild kext cache file will prevent new kext file to load properly.

Cheers,

kizwan

Just a suggestion, try another AppleaACPIPlatform.

Regards,

Mariusz.

Look carefully, first it cannot found IOPCIFamily then AppleACPIPlatform failed to start. I think IOPCIFamily kext file is the cause of the problem.

fakedotbr, can you enter single mode, with "-s" flag? If you can try double check IOPCIFamily kext file.

I Change IOPCCardFamily and IOPCIFamily for rev3.

But the messagen continue.

See that

What are you using to change them?

I suggest you restore the stock ones for now, to get the system working again.

EqUaTe

I could boot again.

I used the macdrive in windows to exchange the files IOPC *, used the rev3.

After boot with the flag -s itself gave the permissions root: wheel and 755.

And boot -f for to the enter MacOSX

But with the rev3 he could not find PCMCIA.

Which version should I try now?

The last of the Chun-nan with which another version?

Thanks EqUaTe, Mariusz, Kizwan

@Chun-Nan

With PCCARD v5 and PCIFamily test3 it works, PCMCIA is recognized and my 3G PCMCIA Device too, only the cardreader doesn't work...

Now i have to take a look at the 3G device to get it work, don't know how to use it as modem...

I will post results later 'cause i'm at work currently.

Great work mate :unsure:

i've hexedited adding my id

mee too,but maybe it can fix my firewire problem fixing its memory address or what doesn't work,.

do you have also same error as mine in pcmcia kext? (1 is loaded, the second one gives an error or vice versa)

kp is visible if i leave the pcmcia plugged @ boot, if i plug pcmcia when osx is alreay "on" sometimes the pc freeze and i can only power it off.

i'll do some pictures tonight so i can show you.

As far as I know, firewire is working just fine for me - don't really have any devices I can check it with at the moment though.

I only have one pcmcia slot, while I think you have two, which is where your error is coming from.. Can you confirm this?

I'll try and compile IOPCCardFamily with your ID in it once I get home - on a train just now. Had to leave work due to feeling like {censored}. Damned illnesses!

Once I've done it I'll post it here, and the modified o2micro.h for Chun-Nan.

I'll include both debug and release versions of the kext.

I have seen the machine give me the 'restart' error if I leave the card plugged in on restart/shutdown, but I've only just gotten it working, and haven't tried much yet.

I can't say for sure if I'm actually getting panics or what.

If I am, I'll try and replicate them in single-user-mode.

I could boot again.

I used the macdrive in windows to exchange the files IOPC *, used the rev3.

After boot with the flag -s itself gave the permissions root: wheel and 755.

And boot -f for to the enter MacOSX

But with the rev3 he could not find PCMCIA.

Which version should I try now?

The last of the Chun-nan with which another version?

Thanks EqUaTe, Mariusz, Kizwan

I would use your install dvd rather than macdrive - I find macdrive to not be overly reliable..

You can also fix the permissions using the install cd, then boot with -v -f -s the next time and see if it loads properly.

Try rev5 for both IOPCCardFamily and IOPCIFamily first and tell us what happens - if a kernel panic, post an image.

Then try with IOPCIFamily test4, then test3.

@Chun-Nan

With PCCARD v5 and PCIFamily test3 it works, PCMCIA is recognized and my 3G PCMCIA Device too, only the cardreader doesn't work...

Now i have to take a look at the 3G device to get it work, don't know how to use it as modem...

I will post results later 'cause i'm at work currently.

Great work mate :)

Glad you've got yours working :)

If your 3g card is a huawei device, send me a pm - I can help you with this.

I have a USB one that I'm using the post this right now :) Most handy ;-)

Again, thanks Chun-Nan!

EqUaTe

Hey There PLEASE HELP!

I have been trying to get my AT-T wifi card working for ever and always get the same error with dmesg | grep PC

IOPCCardBridge::checkbridgebusID's invaild sub/card/pci settings of 0x0

my I/O ranges from Linux

I/O 0 = 00004000 000040ff

I/O 1 = 00004400 000044ff

MemRange 0 = 88000000 8bffff000

MemRange 1 = 8c000000 8ffff000

It is a TexasInst xxx12 with Vendor ID 104c Device 8039

which means that it should work since everyone elses does lol. I have tried all the kexts posted in this thread please I am pulling hair out trying to get it to work

Hey There PLEASE HELP!

I have been trying to get my AT-T wifi card working for ever and always get the same error with dmesg | grep PC

IOPCCardBridge::checkbridgebusID's invaild sub/card/pci settings of 0x0

my I/O ranges from Linux

I/O 0 = 00004000 000040ff

I/O 1 = 00004400 000044ff

MemRange 0 = 88000000 8bffff000

MemRange 1 = 8c000000 8ffff000

It is a TexasInst xxx12 with Vendor ID 104c Device 8039

which means that it should work since everyone elses does lol. I have tried all the kexts posted in this thread please I am pulling hair out trying to get it to work

Try IOPCCardFamily.kext from rev5 in the first post on this thread, and IOPCIFamily.kext test4 - look through the posts by Chun-Nan on page 3.

This has solved the issue for others.

Please note that as per Chun-Nan's posts, you should NOT edit the Info.plist in IOPCCardFamily and you must be using the original kexts from leopard - if you've replaced a bunch with ones from Tiger this probably won't work (I seem to recall they're listed early on.)

Note that there's no guarantee you'll get the wifi card working - it needs to be supported as well.

This thread is working on making support for the actual CardBus controller work..

EqUaTe

Hi All

Have use the rev5 with test4.

Now has an icon appears next to the icon of the sound.

And also in the system profiler.

But he still does not recognize my card wireless D-Link DWL-G650.

What I did different was to change the IOPC and not erase the Extensions.mkext. Only booted with flag -f

Thanks to all.

post-170803-1200582819_thumb.png

I used the Rev5 IOPCCarFamily amd the test3 and it WORKS!!! Thank you so much my AT-T 881 is now working with Leopard which was the only thing I couldn't get working on my Gateway MX6956 I cant say thank you enough this is trully amazing! I know have a fully working Laptop with earthernet, sound, Wireless Card, the only thing is the damn intel 3495 and that will never be solved I am afraid lol...

As far as I know, firewire is working just fine for me - don't really have any devices I can check it with at the moment though.

I only have one pcmcia slot, while I think you have two, which is where your error is coming from.. Can you confirm this?

EqUaTe

i have 2 slots, one is pcmcia, the other one is express card. But both works fine (when i don't get kp of course).i've tested several pcmcia cards (wifi/firefire/usb), and i've also tested express card with a card reader (stolen @ my friend's mac book pro :) for the test)