Graffiti

Soündless

should graffiti be legal?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. should graffiti be legal?

• yes
    • no

161 posts in this topic

now after being in this culture for a longer period of time, i dont think it is about expressing yourself as much, it is just about doing what you feel like doing. school, life, jobs, all of that really stresses a person out, but when im on a roof painting, i feel free. and people who have a problem with me painting walls, trains, abandoned buildings, trash cans and other approved surfaces, need to chill out, i am applying a color to a surface less then 1 millimeter thick. i do think that it should be illegal, half the fun is doing the illegal stuff. it does come with consequences tho, 3 of my mentors were all arrested for it, and are facing felony vandalism charges(stiky rust & maus, you will be missed).

and at frenetic1amnesic, i am blond and white, and 8 of the 10 people i primarily do this with are white and from middle class families.

You dont have to look at this kid's profile to tell that he is 15. Can we just move along? Maybe he'll grow out of it, maybe he wont. Maybe he'll continue it into his post-18 life period and get nailed for it. Maybe he wont and he'll move along to college where he discovers that there are much more worthwhile things. Maybe he'll get away with it and stick around in his parent's basement until his early twenties. Personally I hope he'll grow out of it.

Time will tell

If I am paying taxes on it, or if it is private property then no. Signs are fine if they are on public property, or on their own private property. If it damages property, then they should have to pay for it, and serve 30 days community work. We need to bring back chain gangs. That will straiten a lot of these lazy yuppies out that don't want to work.

The mexicans like to paint their laraza {censored} on the stop signs here. One was caught 2 weeks ago and jailed, rightfully so.

After reading through almost all of this I have to make some comments, but first a little background on who I am and where I'm from that makes me feel why my 2 cents is worth something.

I grew up in South Central LA, but my mother worked for the government so I was able to go to predominately good white schools all my life. I have graduated from a university that is now classified with ivy league status and own my own home in a rich little suburb in Central NY.

Now, after having to drive through ghetto to Redondo Beach everyday of my primary and secondary education, I can tell you this. True talented graffiti artists, are hard to find. Often times there work is displayed willingly by business, government and or school sponsored projects, and yes, art galleries. This I know to be true because I was once engaged to a professional graffiti artist who's work was commissioned at an art gallery in LA. At of his work and those of his peers was practiced in their own garages and empty pools. After completion, pictures were taken and added to their portfolio, unless it was on a wall legitimately.

Yes, there is some pretty graffiti art that was done illegally, but I have found that the other graffiti surrounding mars the whole effect.

Moreover, most illegal graffiti is a sign of a community slipping in to despair. Crime rates are going up in such areas while quality of education is lowering. Children end up with less safe communities and parents with the financial abilities move out to seek a better environment for their families.

I would also like to add that it is NOT just minorities that put up graffiti. As mentioned previously, going to all white schools, I quickly found that myth to be completely untrue. What I found that in the better areas, people have better insurance, police departments with nothing better to do, and more money to keep things pretty by repaint and painting over graffiti. I actually knew of more white people in to graffiti than minorities, but there work was being covered almost as fast as it was put up, thus feeding this myth. In depressed areas, which usually contain more minorities, people don't care and can't afford to take care of their community as the richer white areas do. Thus, more graffiti can be seen.

Should it be legal? No. Should there be a place for it? Yes, and if one actually searches for it or asks permission they will probably find it now.

Ok there's my 2 cents and I just wrote this from the heart, so forgive me for any typos or grammatical errors.

Agreed, uneducated zones tend to have higher rates of crime; in this case graffiti. It's just that as Soundless said a few pages back; people like the thrill of doing this illegally. Graffiti would be a better artform if it was easier to "distribute".

People just want an outlet.

Example:

A University (WSU) in the same state I live in (WA) a few years back was having a lot of problem with vandalism across the school, specifically graffiti.

The President of the School designated one stairwell (5 floors) to be the designated graffiti spot, where ANYBODY could go and spray-paint any part of that stairwell that they wanted to. Guess what happened, the graffiti stopped occurring everywhere else because people now had a place to go where they could just be stupid and paint stupid things.

Our society needs more policies like this, it would alleviate a lot of problems without having to re-tool any laws. Not that it would stop graffiti or anything, but I think it would reduce it.

People just want an outlet.

Example:

A University (WSU) in the same state I live in (WA) a few years back was having a lot of problem with vandalism across the school, specifically graffiti.

The President of the School designated one stairwell (5 floors) to be the designated graffiti spot, where ANYBODY could go and spray-paint any part of that stairwell that they wanted to. Guess what happened, the graffiti stopped occurring everywhere else because people now had a place to go where they could just be stupid and paint stupid things.

Our society needs more policies like this, it would alleviate a lot of problems without having to re-tool any laws. Not that it would stop graffiti or anything, but I think it would reduce it.

Thing is that [1] people are too lazy to implement this and [2] people might not like that at a school or university. It gives you a bad name in a way. When they ask what else do the students do they're going to answer graffiti?! No way man :)

Thing is that [1] people are too lazy to implement this and [2] people might not like that at a school or university. It gives you a bad name in a way. When they ask what else do the students do they're going to answer graffiti?! No way man :(

That is 100% true. However, people who would say this, in actuality do not understand human beings. We take ourselves too seriously, we get wrapped up in prestige and status, but sometimes people just need to have a little fun, and young college students just want to be stupid every once in a while. And thats ok. We seriously need to shed our pre-conceived notions of how things SHOULD BE, and focus instead on realistic, practical solutions for things that work, even if the solution seems really weird.

Ouch sarahbau, wouldn't like to be caught there at night... :(

Crime in general actually is more likely to happen in broad daylight. We have been socially conditioned to believe that the darkness is more dangerous, but in fact it is safer.

At this university of which I speak it is a stairwell in the art building. And it does look kind of ugly, but its better than graffiti all over the school. We cant make everything perfect, we should stop pretending we can.