Deadmoo and a new intel iMac DVD

Jmonti

23 posts in this topic

I've been playing around with Deadmoo's image on my Abit AI7 with a prescott 3.0 for some time now. I liked OSX so much I decided to man-up and pull the trigger on a new 17" iMac core duo. But this doesn't mean I'll stop messing around with my PC install. My question is this. Now that I have my hands on an Intel based install DVD set, is there anything useful I can do with it on my Deadmoo PC? For example, install iLife06 or update Deadmoo to 10.4.4? Any suggestions would be helpful in my never-ending need to screw around with this stuff!

Thanks.

can you please please please leak the OpenGL frameworks from 10.4.4?

System/Library/Frameworks/**GL**

would be MUCH appreciated.

of course, a full leak of the discs would be good too :(

I suppose you could probably pull iLife off of it with some work, but until it gets "liberated" it's mostly useless. Useless, that is, in the hands of some...very useful in the hands of others... ;)

But let's not badger the man - if he wants to be a :( I'm sure he will be!

i merely requested the OpenGL frameworks because there's a theory that they are the missing link for getting the 10.4.4 ATI drivers to work with, for example, X1600 cards.

i'm thinking of buying a new PC, so i'm hoping X1600's will be fully supported, hence my interest in this.

jmonti? whaddayasay? :(

Edited by munky

So I take it, its not as simple as putting the disk in my PC mac and installing things like iLife06. That figures. Well the least I can do is have a look inside that OpenGL file.

keep in mind I'm no expert here. I just read and follow how-tos well LOL.

Stay tuned, if I can help out on the D.L. I will.

To be honest, i'm suprised that torrents havn't popped up all around the net. I would have had more faith in the hacker community.

You can get iLife off. Very easy actually. You need to show hidden files, then open the SECOND install dvd. Theres a folder on there called packages or something. All the stuff is in there, trials of iWork iLife, whatever.

Edited by greyhathacker45

I merely said that it is legal to sell, which it is. It is illegal to keep copies. I can sell the discs that came with my G4 independently of the machine, just as I can sell the machine without an operating system. You guys crack me up, it’s like you sit and wait for the opportunity to be a {censored}

I merely said that it is legal to sell, which it is. It is illegal to keep copies. I can sell the discs that came with my G4 independently of the machine, just as I can sell the machine without an operating system. You guys crack me up, it’s like you sit and wait for the opportunity to be a {censored}

Um, you are the one setting yourself up. Saying it would be legal to burn a copy of your discs, then sell the originals. Come on.

You _CAN_ sell the discs, providing that you remove ALL copies from your posession. That includes what's installed on your hard disk, and the burned copies.

The reason for the reply is that this type of misinformation is bad for everyone. Want to talk from the brain, instead of out of your a$$? Read the EULA.

why do you f*** yourself that up? it isn't possible what you said

Now go back to topic here....

Right, now to get back on topic: do the iLife apps work under 10.4.3 on a "hackintosh"?

Other than that, I don't think those restore discs will do much good to you on your "hackintosh". We'll have to wait for a retail distribution for x86/PPC. Most of the latest Apple restore discs check for specific hardware and refuse to run.

Edited by stryder

Did you not read what I said?

Yes, I did, and here it is again:

burn copies of your restore discs and sell the originals on ebay. I'm sure they would attract a lot of attention and $$$ plus it would be perfectly legal for you to sell them.

Now, what you just wrote:

It is leagal to sell your restore cds. I made no mention of it being legal to retain a copy.

Grab a brain.

Oh, wait, I get it now. You are using a period (that thing at the end of the sentence) to completely and totally break the topic from your one statement and the other. Well, unfortunately for you, proper English would have required you to move your second statement that conflicts with the first to have appeared in a new paragraph. Notwithstanding, your integration of both statements within the same paragraph joined soley by the sentence break (period) allows for readers to draw a conclusion such as what I (and many others) have.

Surely you either lack the ability write in proper English, or you have forgotten your ability. Either way, enjoy your flame.

Edited by stryder

I don't mean any offence by this and am not directing this at anyone in specific. I just find it a little ironic that there is an argument on legality when the use of OS X on generic Intel hardware is illegal. Just a few lines after statements condemning the sale of OS X media are signatures admitting to infringement of developer licensing...

argh, i can't shut up :) could some mod or admin split these posts so here we can discuss about the new iMac DVD....

@all insiders:

Correct me if I'm wrong please:

i don't think that's illegal to install MacOS X on native Intel Hardware (PC). Apple said it wouldn't be possible. But if we/you make it possible, it isn't illegal!

Edited by gman.php

I don't mean any offence by this and am not directing this at anyone in specific. I just find it a little ironic that there is an argument on legality when the use of OS X on generic Intel hardware is illegal. Just a few lines after statements condemning the sale of OS X media are signatures admitting to infringement of developer licensing...

Personally, installing and playing around with OS X on an x86 box is less illegal than copying and selling your original CDs on eBay. If you are in IT, or a software developer, and you want to try out your software on various setups, this is the best way.

I don't know how many people have seriously switched completely from either PPC OS X to this, or from Windows/Linux to this. I would not think the number is that high. Most of us are just "playing around", are we not? It's not like we're building these machines for our offices to avoid spending so much on a real Mac (well, maybe some of us are, but I don't think a majority are).

If you copy the disc, and put your originals on eBay, but you are still using the software, then you are selling something that's not yours:

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend or sublicense the Apple Software. You may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, original media, printed materials and this License; (:blink: you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device

That's illegal, regardless of the discussion.

Yes, some of us are breaking the law by downloading this software and building a machine to use with it. Fine. I think everyone knows that's illegal. Obviously, people don't understand the EULAs when they seem to think that selling their original discs is not illegal.

However, the illegality of testing OS X on an x86-built PC is less severe than that of profitting from the sale of software discs that are not yours. Equate it to parking in a no-parking zone vs. parking in the handicap space.

Now, back to the topic, like someone else has suggested. I AM DONE TALKING ABOUT THIS LEGALITY/ILLEGALITY. If you are unwilling to accept the statements above, fine, TALK ABOUT IT SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Well the OpenGL drivers are out there now so I hope you guys can get them working. As for my original post, its moot at this point because once again I've tried and failed to get that darn 6Gb image expanded onto my 40Gb drive. So in order to prevent another drive ending up in my front yard....I'm focused on setting up the iMac just the way I like it and leaving my PC alone.

Thanks guys. ;)