[HowTo] Intel 8xx 1280x800 Full Support

meddlingBanter

461 posts in this topic

I was just able to get full 1280x800 resolution working on my laptop which uses the 830M/845G/852GM/855GM/865G Intel Integrated Graphics.

What you need:

AppleIntel830.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

I've heard these files are on the Devel disc and they are also located in /System/Library/Extensions. Some may have had to delete these files in safe mode just to get OS X booted normally like I did, so instead of deleting them I just saved them to the desktop. Anyway once you have them copy both kext files to /System/Library/Extensions. Located in each kext file (right click Show Package Contents) is a file called info.plist. In each plist file go to the line that looks like this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

Below that replace whats in between <string></string> with 0x35828086. You should only have to replace the first four digits in the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext file and then in the AppleInte830.kext file just delete the other two 8 digit hex numbers located within <string></string>. One thing that should be noted, the four digits that you replace should correspond to your Graphics Card's Device ID. You cand find this number by going to Apple>About This Mac>More Info>Graphics/Displays. After your're done editing the two files save them and do a sudo chmod -R 755 and sudo chown -R root:wheel on both kext files. I'm not sure if it matters but I deleted all other files that started with AppleIntel. I'll try it later with those files in the Extensions directory. Anyway, once you're done just reboot and you should be running 1280x800. Adding the Graphics Mode boot option shouldn't be needed.

nope, though I'm not sure what adding AppleInte830GA.plugin and AppleInte830GLDriver.bundle would do for that.  I'll give it a shot.

Yes, that is needed for QE. You need the GL, the GA, and the AppleIntelXXX, as well as AppleIntelIntegrated all to be the right ID. And, there's a good chance CoreGraphics will just crash, so, be prepared to trash them in single user mode if that doesn't work (along with Extensions.mkext in /System/Library).

Yes, that is needed for QE.  You need the GL, the GA, and the AppleIntelXXX, as well as AppleIntelIntegrated all to be the right ID.  And, there's a good chance CoreGraphics will just crash, so, be prepared to trash them in single user mode if that doesn't work (along with Extensions.mkext in /System/Library).

I just found that out the hard way. :)

I just tried this on my Fujitsu P7kD. OSX kernel-panic'd before I did anything. I tried removing all the kexts that had to do with Intel Video, didn't help much, only made Darwin 'think' more before kernel-panicking. Single-user mode/command line doesn't work either, it hangs, waiting for something...I'll check what...you know what, this post really belongs in my thread...ow well...

ok ,

heres my status: Dell 700M

Open GL and native resolutions works.

The only folder you will need are:

AppleIntel830.kext

AppleIntel830GL

AppleIntel830GA

I think AppleIntel830GA is the Graphics Acc, but can not find a way to load it.

May AppleIntel830GA have something to do with CoreGraphics, and if your CoreGraphics is patched, ApplIntel830GA will have trouble loading. I dunno maybe there a work around for it.

Good article, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I cleared out the AppleIntel* folders then put these back:

AppleIntel830.kext

AppleIntel830GL

AppleIntel830GA

I modified the files accordingly (yes, I'm SURE they have the correct numbers). I booted up and it hung at a vram message. Taking your advice, I removed the GA folder and it booted up to OS X. However, once in, I noticed it was still using the default drivers, meaning I was still stuck at 800x600. All I want to do is get to 1024x768, ?video tells me I can use this and many other modes.

Once it loaded into OS X, it gave me a message about not being able to load AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext (or a similar message). This is really irritating, I hope someone can help me resolve this issue, been at it all day.

I'm using a i855GM chipset, Pentium 4-M 2.2ghz SSE2. I've applied the 0.4 SSE3->SSE2 patch (0.2 and 0.3 have the same results, 0.2 being the worst). It seems the original CoreGraphics is in place, so it shouldn't be interfering. Should I try with a modified CoreGraphics? Any help is welcome, thanks.

Small update: I just noticed my onboard hotkeys for sound and such are working, but their screen display is messed, they merely display either a red box or a blue box with some speckles of pixel dust in them.

I've got a 700m too, and for some reason, I can't get it to go...

the 0x value for it is 0405 (correct?) and i sudo'd both files, and its not giving me anything.

Now what do you mean by a "patched" core graphics ?

Basically what happens is everything goes smooth no errors, reboot

It hangs at the gray apple screen and doesn't move, reboot

boots right back into 1024x768 stretched...

Any ideas???

and goldenarowana, have you got sound working ?

Thanks a lot!

For the record, making these changes allowed me to use my Gateway M250X in its native 1280x768.

Strangely enough, the M250X uses the 915G chipset...

I also made the same changes to /System/Library/Extension/AppleIntel915.kext, so maybe that is what made the difference.

I've got a 700m too, and for some reason, I can't get it to go...

the 0x value for it is 0405 (correct?) and i sudo'd both files, and its not giving me anything.

Now what do you mean by a "patched" core graphics ?

Basically what happens is everything goes smooth no errors, reboot

It hangs at the gray apple screen and doesn't move, reboot

boots right back into 1024x768 stretched...

Any ideas???

and goldenarowana, have you got sound working ?

Mr Itunes,

I will send you the AppleIntel* files when i get home tonight. Regarding the sound, you will need to modify your AppleAC97Audio.kext, Follow the guide in the osx86 wiki (audio)

Cheers

Mr Itunes,

I will send you the AppleIntel* files when i get home tonight. Regarding the sound, you will need to modify your AppleAC97Audio.kext, Follow the guide in the osx86 wiki (audio)

Cheers

Awesome, thank you much !

Oh, just checked the AC97 wiki and it says it has to be running native...

Did you just use the dual boot method from the FAQ or how did you go about doing it ???

Thanx again

I'm sure it's for granted, but, no QE support right?

you can get QE support by taking the AppleIntelI915 out of the ApplleIntelI915.kext

and Renaming to to AppleIntelI830 and copying over the one in the Appelinteli830.kext

then set your permissions and do the wheel on it :lol: and reboot

enjoy QE

you can get QE support by taking the AppleIntelI915 out of the ApplleIntelI915.kext

and Renaming to to AppleIntelI830 and copying over the one in the Appelinteli830.kext

then set your permissions and do the wheel on it :lol: and reboot

enjoy QE

Can you be a bit more specific, what do you mean with taking out the AppleIntelI915?