Ethernet Driver for Marvell 88E1116

MikeInNs

223 posts in this topic

Running Kalyway 10.5.2 on Asus P5NE -SLI and cannot get nic working with any of the methods mentioned here. When I shut machine down and unplug the power cord/flip switch and deadhead power switch, all power is gone from the system (empty capacitors...). Plug it back in and turn it on then the lights on the lan port blink like normal till it boots to desktop, light go out and "lan cable unplugged...." in sys preferences. Im new to OS X (I do own a macbook though) so can someone piece all these directions together for a "clean cut" installation procedure? Also could anyone using this mobo with kalyway post their bios settings and OS X install method e.g. kernel choice....ect?

So far:

Both cores enabled

Installed on sata drive, can read/write

Audio works

Everything else is up in the air till lan starts working.

I have that problem but to solve if you need to boot with both "CPUS=1" and "-f"

with this 2 the ethernet work fine and dont crash on downloads...

Hi at all! Just wanted to say that it works for me. GREAT! Your work here is awsome!

Installed, shut down the PC, unplugged the ethernet cable and the PC's power supply and shut down the router for a minute. Then back on - it works without any issues. Ah yes, but first of all I deleted the forcedeth.kext.

The BSD Device Name is 'en0', otherwise it didn't work. It connected automatically over DHCP, but had to set the Router/Server Addresses manually. I also had to boot with one core enabled.

I asked myself, if there is kind of a TaskManager like in Windows, to manage the processes for the different cores. Because then we were able to set the activity of the Ethernet.kext on only one core. And the multithreating problem is solved, or am I wrong?

Well I searched allready in the Activity Monitor, but can't find any .kext running. Hmm, I'm a Mac n00bie but perhaps my cogitations are food for thoughts.

My specs are:

QuadCore Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz

EVGA 680i LT SLI

2x 8800 GTS 640mb (SLI isn't recognised)

4gb 1066 RAM

Leopard 10.5.2 and Windows Vista

Best wishes from Germany

EDIT: This driver will only work stable with Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). A driver for Leopard is currently being worked on.

I just tried to install Leo4All. Nearly everything works except my internet. I did try the kext anyway but nothing. Im at a loss of what to do now. Any pointers?

Hey! That was a very good work. I isntalled the kext yesterday and used it for more than two hs. to sent 200 GB, and everything went good.

I have a M2N32-SLI Deluxe, and this mobo is especially complicated because nvidia does not produce good chipsets for amd, they work for intel. However ... THX!!

G.

Max

Hey! That was a very good work. I isntalled the kext yesterday and used it for more than two hs. to sent 200 GB, and everything went good.

I have a M2N32-SLI Deluxe, and this mobo is especially complicated because nvidia does not produce good chipsets for amd, they work for intel. However ... THX!!

G.

Max

Works on my M2N32-Sli Deluxe too, I don't have to use stinking old wifi hurrah!

P.S. When this board was designed nVidia were very much in bed with AMD producing more advanced chipsets exclusively for them. They were not friends with intel at all. That of course all changed when AMD acquired ATi.

• 3 weeks later...
we need this updated for 10.5

Agree...

I have an Asus P5N-E SLI mobo and the driver keeps crashing my system. It happens randomly, I don't know if it is because of a heavyload or something else.

Has anyone reached to stability with this driver?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everybody! You can try this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=89475&hl=

I use it, but have the same problem - system freeze sometimes, even with "cpus=1", but i can watch online movies with this kext... Strange... And there is no kernel panic (for me at least). I did not try to download big files.

Also you can add your ID in the PLIST. Maybe somebody will happy with this.

Hi, everybody! You can try this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=89475&hl=

I use it, but have the same problem - system freeze sometimes, even with "cpus=1", but i can watch online movies with this kext... Strange... And there is no kernel panic (for me at least). I did not try to download big files.

Also you can add your ID in the PLIST. Maybe somebody will happy with this.

i tried this, but, it does not work for my PC.

however, i dont wanna give up half of my cpu...

still waiting for updates for this driver...

Asus Striker Extreme, DualCore 2180, OsX86 10.5.4 -

It works from scratch but... if traffic becomes high, system freeze (with please reboot gray box window). can't run nothing more than WWW...

Any updates to driver expected?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Hi All,

I have written a driver based on the original NVidia code and the framework from the Forcedeth drivers that should work on the Marvell 88E1116 controller. It might work for other nic's in the same family as well but the driver has been specificly written just to support the 88E1116.

The driver hasn't been tested yet so I expect some bugs. Right now it is not possible to change the MTU size (default 1500) or use Jumbo packets. Another limitation is that driver will always initialize using auto negotiation.

I tested the driver on the following platform:

Mainboard: EVGA SLI 680I

Controller: MCP55, Marvell 88E1116 Ethernet Controller

Device ID: 0x0373

OSx86 version: 10.4.11, kernel 8.10.1

HOW TO INSTALL:

- Place the kext file on your desktop

- Start "Terminal" and type the following commands:

- "sudo -s"

- Type you password.

- "cp -R ~/desktop/nForceEthernetController.kext /system/library/extensions/"

- "chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/nForceEthernetController.kext

- "chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/nForceEthernetController.kext"

- "rm -f /system/library/extensions.*"

- "diskutil repairpermissions /"

- "exit"

- Close "Terminal"

- Shutdown the computer and take the power cord off (IMPORTANT!)

- Wait 30 secs. and turn it back on (plug the power cord back in first :whistle: )

Hopefully it will come back up with your ethernet controller working!

IMPORTANT:

This goes without saying but I take no responsibility in any way shape or form if something bad happens to your computer or other caused by this driver.

I wrote this driver in my free time and because I don't have a lot of it I won't be able to make changes or updates on a regular basis so if it doesn't work for you, please be patient.

Let me know if you had any success!

Cheers,

Mike.

Before I forget, thanks to the guys how worked on the forcedeth driver, using their framework made things a lot easier!

EDIT: This driver will only work stable with Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). A driver for Leopard is currently being worked on.

NOTE: When you still experiencing problems, turn the computer off, unhook the power cord for about 30secs. and bring in back up (I know it sounds... well... strange...) (For some reason the MAC address is 'locked', this should be solved in a new release)

I'm new to the hackingtosh scence, I have just completed my 1st install using iATKOS v7, Lepoard 10.5.7. I'm at work do not have all of the specks on my mod, But I'm using

Biostar Tforce 590 SLI Deluxe AM2 nividia nForce 590 SLI board.

Pny Geoforce 79oo GS

the enternet drivers are Marvell Yukon 88E116, my system shows the network cable as being unplugged. Doesn't that mean it's being seen?

Have you be able to create drivers to correct this?

Does anyone have a answer to this.. Remember this is all new to me, so baby steps please

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I am fairly new to the scene but I've gotten alot of experience with this stuff in the past few days (Ive installed and messed around with like 5 distros in the past week).

Anyway, I was unable to get the driver working following the method suggested. So, I tried downloading the kext, and installing it with kext helper, which did the job of the using the terminal for me. That did not work either. (Keep in mind i tried this with Kalyway 10.5.2, Jas 10.4.8, and Leo4All v4.1 10.5.4)

Basically, when I did not have internet , well i didn't have internet. When i did have internet it the computer constantly froze on me. HOWEVER,

I just installed iPC 10.5.6 just to try it out. Guess what! It had the driver right there in the install dvd. So i selected it, and so far it has worked perfectly. I haven't had to do anything! No messing around with ethernets and rebooting. No freezing and I always have internet! So maybe some of you should try out that distro if your having trouble, just make sure to get the final edition, not the beta.

PS - You don't even have to unplug your computer :)

Thanks for making this driver!

Setup -

AMD Athlon 4200

3gb RAM

ATI Radeon 4850

Mobo - GA M59SLI-S5

EDIT:

I have attached the package! First thing to know, if you already have an nforcetethernet driver already installed this might not work but it all depends on your version of OSX. Second, after you installed the package, if it doesnt work right away go to network diagnostics and click ok to the message saying its detected the new ethernet ports. Give it a few minutes and you will have internet. Good luck!

nForceEthernetDriver.zip

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...