[How to] GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R guide

thysm00

195 posts in this topic

Is this a new fix from netkas? Or still the same as the 10.5.1 fix?

There's one way to avoid you to get your kexts back: get the ones i'll pm you tonight :tomato:

As for the time machine trick, i think it won't work since the problem is the boot fix. If you make a usual carbon copy, it can boot but only with the dvd inserted (and don't press any key) and the HD set to 1st boot device of course. I think time machine would do the same job as carbon copy cloner. I know there's a way to make any partition bootable: see here: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=209. But i still prefer to install a brand new os and use the migration assistant and copy my extensions back :)

As for the wifi, ebay was the onlyway for me :)

I started playing around with making a partition bootable and I finally have it working on every imaginable drive. I have tested it in the following way:

- Install 10.5.1 (Galyway) to one of USB/SATA/Firewire drives (all external and obviously one at a time!). I found installing from an external USB DVD drive to be far more reliable than my IDE internal DVD drive. To get the IDE drive to avoid the waiting for error I had to use VGA and not DVI on the 7300. I used GUID and not MBR.

- I partitioned the target drive using Disk Utilities (GUID all the way). I used 2 partitions.

- I then used the simple instructions to make the drive partition bootable. I then transfered the install from the Galyway install to the drive using restore. I did not reboot when applying the instructions to make it bootable. The partition would be listed as something like disk2s3 <- 2nd disk, 3rd partition (the 1st is the guid stuff).

- To avoid conflicts I disconnected my main 10.5.2 internal sata drive (unplugged the data cable).

- Now at this point you have a SATA internal with XP on it, USB with 10.5.1 install and a Firewire drive with 2 partitions with the transferred 10.5.1 on the 2nd partition (this will be disk2s3).

Reboot. The Darwin bootloader is living on the USB drive. On the Gigabyte menu press F12 and you get a menu which does not include the Firewire drive. Select the USB drive. This starts the Darwin bootloader and you press F8 to get to a prompt. At this point you can choose any disk you want to boot. The command rd=disk2s3 will boot the transferred drive and that is in fact what happens.

What this means is that you can transfer an installed OSX to any drive/partition. I then booted the USB drive with 10.5.1 on it (taking up 5 gigs or so). I resized it using Disk Utility so that 10.5.1 lives on a 10gig partition. This will serve as my backup so I never have to use the DVD again. The remaining 100gigs on the drive act as a TM backup drive. It all just works.

I also have a USB wireless Zio G working perfectly. OSX 10.5.2 gives the vendor ID and device ID, but not in integer form(which you need to enter into RT2500replug.kext). Once that is edited you don't have to replug the USB wireless plug (there are many- D-Link, Linksys, Zio, etc...).

Almost everything works but sleep no longer works under 10.5.2 (the monitor sleeps) and I have the shutdown problem. I have replaced the 2 kexts mentioned with the 10.5.1 kexts installed by Kayway's install so it's not that.

Is there a fix for sleep and shutdown?

ls

Edit: The shutdown problem, in my case, is caused by the USB wireless device. If I unplug it then the system shuts down fine.

Ops, i forgot to send you the kexts... Do you still need it?

I don't think so. Are they just the 2 you mentioned from the Kalyway 10.5.1 install? Perhaps I am using the wrong one's but while sleep works perfectly in 10.5.1 it doesn't work in 10.5.2. I have to reboot if I put the system to sleep. What did you do to get it to sleep? I took the 2 kexts you mentioned from the 10.5.1 install and put them into the 10.5.2, repaired permissions, etc...and rebooted. Sleep still fails, and it's not the wifi. The wifi stops shutdown!

I am back in 10.5.1 and everything works great, so I have to decide whether sleep is worth 10.5.2 ....

ls

Yes they are from the kalyway install... I did no try to sleep as it's a function i don't use often. I'll try it tonight if my downloads are finished :(

EDIT: I just tried and it works flawlessly, i have sleep in 10.5.2. Tell me if you want the kexts, but i really think we have the same kexts, maybe it's due to the gfx card...

• 2 weeks later...
Yes they are from the kalyway install... I did no try to sleep as it's a function i don't use often. I'll try it tonight if my downloads are finished :D

EDIT: I just tried and it works flawlessly, i have sleep in 10.5.2. Tell me if you want the kexts, but i really think we have the same kexts, maybe it's due to the gfx card...

Just posting because after days and days and days of seemingly beating my head against a wall I have everything running perfectly on a G33-DS2R, stable, sleep, restart, shut down, QE/CI on 8600 GT, (had a x1600 in but couldn't get it work stable, so poached the card from the media centre) 10.5.2 Vanilla, GUID, only thing I havn't bothered with is sound since my RME Fireface works on a firewire 800 card (had to chop part of the 64-bit pci-connector off to fit it hahahaha!!!)....

Really really happy! Thanks for the guide, thanks to Kalyway for such awesome work!! :D

Simple answer: no... and there wwill never be any since the video chipset on this board (Intel GMA 3100) is compelety different from the X3100 and GMA 950 from the macbooks. But you can get a cheap 7300 nvidia card and get really good performances by installing a simple package.

Just posting because after days and days and days of seemingly beating my head against a wall I have everything running perfectly on a G33-DS2R, stable, sleep, restart, shut down, QE/CI on 8600 GT, (had a x1600 in but couldn't get it work stable, so poached the card from the media centre) 10.5.2 Vanilla, GUID, only thing I havn't bothered with is sound since my RME Fireface works on a firewire 800 card (had to chop part of the 64-bit pci-connector off to fit it hahahaha!!!)....

Really really happy! Thanks for the guide, thanks to Kalyway for such awesome work!! :)

When you say you have sleep working, did you do anything special in the bios or install a special kernel? If I put the system to sleep manually ( click sleep under the Apple) I can wake the system up. However, if the system goes to sleep by itself after the time one sets in the preferences then when I wake the system up using the power button the screen stays blank, usb is still sleeping and the LAN is down. So, I have to reset the system. I am running 10.5.1 but 10.5.2 was similar as I recall. I have a PNY-300GT which is connected via DVI. I do have sound working and the system is otherwise just great. Just the sleep thing. I can shut down, restart, etc...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Migth be something very simple. I actually had a harder time upgrading my Mac's to 10.5.2 than I did upgrading the PC! I did go back to 10.5.1 though.

ls

Audio

audio ALC889a is fully working with this patch: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;&do=findComment&comment=436207

copy the tho kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/

then

remove the azaliaaudio.kext (some people reported that it wouldn't work without this) and

sudo chmod -R 775 /System/Library/Extensions/*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

and remove the Extensions.kextcache

I followed those steps and leopard stalled at the logo screen during bootup. I had to reinstall. I'm using Kalway 10.5.1 on a GA-G33M-DS2R. Everything seems to work except for audio. The only step I didn't do is the removal of azaliaaudio.kext, it didn't exist in my Extensions folder. Any idea what is the problem? Please help, I don't want to f'ed up my install again.

I sounds weird as i just drop them in the extensions (i don't remove azalia on a clean install since it's not here as younoticed).

Maybe you have the wrong kexts... but the link is good. You can also use kext helper which comes with the kalyway install (in the applications folder), just drag the downloaded kexts on kext helper, it'll do the rest for you.

I had this problem once with another kext simply because i forgot to remove extensions.kextcache. If you get it another time, just enter the flag -f when you boot, it will rebuild your extensions at boot.

Well, me to has the g33 ds2r board. it runs perfect w/o the gma 3100 of course. Anyways, for the audio, there's a simple way to get it working:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=434480

on this post you can find an alc889adump.txt

get appleHDApatcher (you can easily find it on this forum) just drag'n'drop the .txt into the appleHDApatcher's ico, and you're set up ;)

cheers!

I got the ALC889A kext from another thread, and those worked. I'm not sure why the kexts linked in this thread didn't work for me while it worked for others.

Everything seems to work now, but I'm running into a stability issue with iDVD 08. It would crash the system everytime during the authoring/building DVD process. I'm talking kernel panic crashes. I have done software updates for iDVD so I'm not sure what is the problem. Anyone else noticed stability problems?

Hi all, i don't know if you tried but i managed booting without ahci enabled with the kalyway install. The only problem i got was some kernel panics sometimes and it seems to be related to the amount of memory i'm using (4go).

I saw this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...88335&st=60 and it seems that a fixed kext is working now. I'll try it and post results, we should be able to get our systems to use the ide mode without ahci which means booting time decreases and all the sata ports fully working.

This board would be really fully compatible with osx :blink: !!!!

So guys, be ready for this:

This is working really great and really easy to install (it had to since it's made by a french guy :hysterical: )!!! You'll get all 6 sata ports recognized with AHCI disabled in bios, i even get better xbench disk results and the boot time is decreasing a lot since the ahci bios is useless. Good luck with installing this! (i did not test the ide port as i use only sata and some users reported kernel panics using this but not on the G33 board the problem seem to be related to the jmicron so you can try).

I'll update the guide in a few minutes. ---> it's done -_-

Hi all, i don't know if you tried but i managed booting without ahci enabled with the kalyway install. The only problem i got was some kernel panics sometimes and it seems to be related to the amount of memory i'm using (4go).

I saw this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...88335&st=60 and it seems that a fixed kext is working now. I'll try it and post results, we should be able to get our systems to use the ide mode without ahci which means booting time decreases and all the sata ports fully working.

This board would be really fully compatible with osx -_- !!!!

Hmm...I don't have ahci enabled but I do see all my sata drives (3). SATA is set to native IDE mode. I always had problems with ahci in windows so I didn't bother, and it really slows boot time. Perhaps that is why my sleep is only working in S3 and only if I initiate it (and not let the computer do it via the sleep scheduler). Mind you, I am still running 10.5.1. I did upgrade to 10.5.2 but then I had a problem with restarting and shutting down. The netkas kernel fixes that but then sleep won't work at all (: . I did notice that my temperatures went up in 10.5.2 by about 6 degrees.

I accidentally connected the wire on the pci to pcie adapter to the Broadcom aux "port" (there was only one wire unfortunately). For some odd reason my wireless then started working quite well. Odd...

ls

It's really strange... do you really get your system to work without ahci? Did you modify any ata kext? i tried once to boot the kaly without ahci and after a while i get kernel panics, but maybe you have less than 2 go of ram, if you do it's normal, that was already working.

I did not try sleep , but will do it and report, maybe this kext fixes it.

As for your wireless card, the aux plug is for an alternate antenna so if only one is plugged, i think it can be wether one or the other.

edit: i just saw in your sig that you have 3go of ram... i don't get it... an d we've got the same scanner, how did you get it to work? Do you use some third party drivers?

edit2: i seems the kp happend only when you're over 3go of ram...

It's really strange... do you really get your system to work without ahci? Did you modify any ata kext? i tried once to boot the kaly without ahci and after a while i get kernel panics, but maybe you have less than 2 go of ram, if you do it's normal, that was already working.

I did not try sleep , but will do it and report, maybe this kext fixes it.

As for your wireless card, the aux plug is for an alternate antenna so if only one is plugged, i think it can be wether one or the other.

edit: i just saw in your sig that you have 3go of ram... i don't get it... an d we've got the same scanner, how did you get it to work? Do you use some third party drivers?

edit2: i seems the kp happend only when you're over 3go of ram...

With Kalyway I don't have any modified kexts related to sata. But now that I have a 4.5 gig partition that I can install various flavours of OSX I have been trying many ( in the past the IDE DVD install was slow (at the beginning) and some installs required my external USB DVD writer or else I'd get that dreaded "waiting for boot device". Some install require you patch the sata driver or you don't see all the sata drives (the iATKos is an example and most Tiger installs). So, I don't know why I don't require the sata patch. I also install with the ethernet cable in, which is not supposed to be wise. Kalyway has been unbelievably stable. Almost as good as my real Mac's :D I do only have 3 gigs. 2 one gig sticks and 2 512meg sticks.

Everything, except for sleep, works great. With 10.5.1 sleep works fine. With 10.5.2 and iATKOS restart is a problem as well as sleep , but I find that install faster. I put it on an MBR disk with XP so perhaps that's the reason. The main install is GUID.

The wireless card for which I am very grateful to you is incredible. I would still love to put a 2nd antenna ( you can buy them off e-Bay) but I don't know whether or not to push my luck. Someone gave me a D-Link 552 N card which is supposed to work ut the Broadcom solution was so neat that I can't bring myself to use it. Curious though.

Let me know if you find a sleep solution...The netkas one does not on my system.

For what it's worth I used to have a NeXT Cube and a NeXT Station. When NeXT went "white" (switched to Intel) the same sort of issues used to arise if you didn't buy a recommended PC (like a Dell). It's all coming back to me now... It was fun then and it's more fun now.

To get the scanner to work use the Sane OSX drivers. You must be very careful to apply them in the right order. This is

1. libusb.pkg 2.sane-backends.pkg 3.TWAIN-SANE-Interface.pkg 4.SANE-Preference-Pane.pkg

You then configure the scanner ( in the config it's not called canon but rather plustek) and it'll work just fine. Of course you can use the Canon drivers in Fusion and/or Parallels. I couldn't get them to work on the PC with 10.5.1 .

ls

Edit1: I have upgraded Kalyway 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 using the Kalyway upgrade and then installed all the latest Apple stuff (graphics, TM, Airport fixes, etc...). Sleep now works when it is manually initiated (but does not if the Apple timer sets it off).

Edit 2: Both the shutdown and restart problems with iATKos have been fixed with the latest acpi and smbios kexts. Sleep also works except when initiated by the Apple timer. The sleep is S3 and I wake up the system from the power switch.

Edit3: Put in a USR 5417 MaxG Wireless PCI card. Works as Airport with no problems (same as the minipcie). It is based on a Broadcom 4318.

At this point both Kalyway and iATKos are running the same system. iATKos required a couple of minor changes (smbios and acpi) but is faster and the networks work better.

Things to make work: Sleep from the Apple timer, internal 3100 graphics. Intel has released the source code for the graphics so it\s probably just a matter of time. Sleep is trickier. Everything else works whether one uses guid (nicer imho) or mbr, dvi or vga, IDE DVD or Sata DVD.

Hello, my first post in the forum.

I was thinking of building a system based on the GA-G33M-DS2R and a Q6600. From what I have understood it is now possible to make a 100% stable hackintish system with everything fully functional (except sata 5 & 6??) based on this motherboard?

However since I´m a noob when it comes to hackintosh systems I´m having some trouble understanding the guide in this thread :P

Is there a chance anyone could write a short step-by-step guide or give me the detailed names of the needed files and point me to another guide that i could use for this motherboard? If so, it would a great help.

I have come this far, probably I´ve missaed a lot of essentials... :(

Needed files

-KALWAY_LEO_10.5.1_intel_SSE2_SSE3

-KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg, (instead of doing it manually as shown in the french thread referred in the first post in this thread?)

-kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg, this one I´m not sure of...is it the one referred to in the last edit in the first post in this thread (to avoid the kernel panics when having the AHCI off)?

Kexts for onboard audio, onboard lan and initially onboard graphic?? (have not choosed a graphic card yet)

Settings in bios

-SATA must be in native mode

-disable the max cpuid value limit

Install

Same as install step 2-7 in this guide??? http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=94561

Patches

Same as patches step 1-5 in the same guide???

Any and all help is very much appreciated!!

Thank you all.

Ok, you are missing some information... i'll update the guide and make a quick how to... it should be ready in 15 minuts ---> done

And for the onboard graphics, there is nothing to do... no qe ci or resolution change... you have to buy a dedicated card.

It seems that i'm talking to myself, but this info may be needed by some of you. I recently reinstalled from scrach and i after patching everything and reinstalling all the kexts, my install took quite a long time to boot (without ahci). I found the solution somewhere on the forum: use he latest applesmbios.kext from netkas fixes everything and it seems that if fixes sleep for some users, so you should try...

get it here: http://netkas.org/

it will report your ram frequency as 333mhz, but like he says: who cares? :)

Any progress on the onboard graphics yet? This board looks perfect for my needs, especially with the onboard FW and graphics. However, I'm going to use the onboard graphics, so I need it to work properly -- and support larger resolutions than 1024x768 in VESA-mode.

No, it doesn't work ans never will since it's a chipset wich is not used by any real mac... Just buy a cheap nvidia 7300 gfx card.

I tried leo4allv2 on this board and it works perfectly. All the drivers are inclueded alc889, even the sata patch from dune, the acpi fix, time machine fix... Just install and reboot and you're done ;)

There's only one thing which i don't use: i did not see the ethernet in the network preferences and it just worked perfectly before... edit: maybe it's because i disabled it in the bios... ;)

hey all.

i have finally finished assembling my system based around the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R. I am running Kalyway's edition of Leopard, and i am soon to update to 10.5.2.

I have everything working, except the audio and the startup (still have to leave the DVD in the drawer).

Can somebody post some easy to follow instructions about how to fix the audio (ALC889a i believe) and the startup?

I tried to fix the sound yesterday and just got kernel panics and endless reboots.

thanx in advance,

jordn.

EDIT: i finally got the sound fixed through the use of the program kext helper. However if anybody knows how to fix the problem of needing the install disc in the drawer to boot i would be very grateful!

i'm sorry to say that but it should work by doing ... nothing... unless you forgot to choose the appropriate boot fix when installing (boot mbr or boot guid depending on the partition map you choose)...

Anyway if you want something really easy to install, you should give a try to the leo4allv2, everything is inclueded, you have to choose the ichx fix by dune, the alc889 package, the boot fix and the fix for your video card (use the nvinject you want AND the latest nvidia kexts) then everything should work.