Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

Ok so is ANYONE able to shutdown 100% of the time properly ? if so, tell me how you did it because I have literally tried everything I could think of... patched kernels, different AppleSMBIOS.kexts , ACPIPowermanagement.kexts....
. . yes, many folks can get the P5WDH to shutdown 100% . . . use PC_EFI & a recent BIOS.

You are not (according to your signature) using the P5WDH.

no, i had ahci already enabled...
Had same issue here. All I did was plug dvd into primary EIDE channel (not JMICRON one) and voila: disks appear as internal.
Ok so is ANYONE able to shutdown 100% of the time properly ? if so, tell me how you did it because I have literally tried everything I could think of... patched kernels, different AppleSMBIOS.kexts , ACPIPowermanagement.kexts....
My shutdown did not work until I updated the BIOS to v.2406. Sometimes even windows used to hang/reboot instead of shutting sown. I use Kalaway 10.5.1(2)+EFI+Vanilla. If u need more info,settings,.. i am glad to help.
Does the eSATA port on the rear connectors work in OS X?
It does. I did borrow an external LACIE HD. Had to enable JMICRON and plug the drive before starting the PC(not shure if ESATA supports hot plug).

*10.5.2 Update... Update*

Installed perfectly using G5's instructions found in this thread.

Before the update I had no ethernet or wireless, these two issues remain unchanged and still do not work.

Prior to updating this was a fresh Kalyway 10.5.1 install (Selected HD Audio and Realtek options in setup).

I have not installed any network drivers/kexts other than the Realtek option in install.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting the wireless or, at least, the ethernet working?

Hello all!

I'm going to order a P5W DH Deluxe tomorrow, but I'm still a bit confused about the installation requirements. Can I install OSX on an IDE drive? I only have IDE drives except for an external USB/SATA drive which, however, serves as a backup device and is therefore filled up to the rim. I wanted to only hook up a single formatted single 120GB drive to one of the IDE ports, install XP and then OSX and once I see it working add my other HDDs. All my other drives are IDE as well (DVD Burner & DVD ROM).

Sorry if the question was asked before, I've tried my best to find more info but to no avail.

Also, what memory should I buy? I've had quite a few problems with incompatible modules with other systems in the past and need something that is 100% compatible. Would a 4096MB Mushkin SP2-6400 CL5 KIT do?

And finally: Are there any options that are as promising regarding compatibility? The board isn't the newest one and doesn't support the new 45nm processors, so the option of updating my system in the future isn't given. I looked at the Wiki and this one seems to be the best..what do you think?

Thank you very much for your help!

@necevil, ethernet works perfectly OTB without modication... both ports i may add. Wirless does not work on leopard without changing around kexts.. which makes other stuff not work. Do ur ports show up in network preferences

@bananabomb.. DDR2800 ram is fine. I would reccomend getting 2gb sticks because you will be eventually wanting all 8gb's. IDK about ide drives.

@necevil, ethernet works perfectly OTB without modication... both ports i may add. Wirless does not work on leopard without changing around kexts.. which makes other stuff not work. Do ur ports show up in network preferences

@bananabomb.. DDR2800 ram is fine. I would reccomend getting 2gb sticks because you will be eventually wanting all 8gb's. IDK about ide drives.

I did a reinstall without the wireless drivers and things worked perfectly, but only after I switched from the first ethernet port to the second.

I think that the issue was that the guide I used had me disable my secondary ethernet port (which happened to be where my cable was plugged in).

So I had everything working...

HAD!

Once I had the ethernet working I loaded up the final cut pro suite which worked perfectly and then installed some other things that also worked fine.

At that point I had the whole Q6600 (G0 Stepping) box running @ 3.06 Ghz. Xbench total score was 166.

This is getting into overclockinig (which i have done a lot of on PCs)

Anyway, I decided to see how far it would go, I got it to post up @ 3.4Ghz.

It posted and then went through Darwin like it normally would but when it got to the light grey screen with the dark grey apple logo (where the little indicator usually spins) it hung for a second (no indicator at all) and then rebooted. I figured it was an error and reset my processor settings back to 3.06 and restarted. Darwin started to boot but then immediately failed with no error message and the computer rebooted. I tried again with the same result. At this point I reset all settings back to factory default (with the changes necessary for Hackintosh operation).

Rebooted to the same result.

So basically now I am trying to figure out what the solution is to a previously working install that froze mid startup and now reboots without error after darwin tries to get things started. So far I have rebooted with the install CD and repaired the permissions on the drive but nothing else seems to be working.

Anyone have any ideas short of a full reinstall (which would hurt because final cut takes forever to reinstall).

As far as boot options: I have tried booting with both -f and -v with no success.

Got the thing booting again,

It will boot with -v cpus=1 but not otherwise.

Not sure why this is but I am stoked to not have to reinstall that stuff.

Xbench now shows a total score of 132 at factory 2.4 Ghz settings as opposed to 166 OC'd to 3.06 Ghz.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it booting normally again.

You need SATA hard drives, DVD drive for maximum computability.

Question though: I just got 10.5.2 installed using a retail disc image method, and as for right now everything works great. I installed Netkas' new SMBIOS file to get correct info for About This Mac. However, some reason it still says 2.4 GHz Unknown CPU. All 4 cores are recognized, but does anyone else get it to actually say Core 2 Quad?

necevil. If you overclocked ur cpu too much.. maybe bios settings defaulted.. in which case you need to re enabled Execute disable function, ahci, etc.

What video card you have.. my q6600 is stable at 3.0ghz.. and i get a 195 xbench.. even though my 8800gts does not work the best with leopard.

SLEEP WORKING WITH DUAL DISPLAY !!!

Installed the gfx strings for my gt7300 card, removed natit - result:

booting is faster and sleep works with two displays - yeah

wake up still doesn´t work with mouse or keyboard (monitors still sleeping) but with the power button fast as lightning :D

still two issues away from the absolutely perfect machine:

only one nic working at the same time and the known wlan problem

I have it working on my P5W. I have a Core 2 Duo @ 2,67Ghz and a 8600GTS 512Mb. My XBench score is around 144 for the total result. I have no clue if that's an ok score for my system though.

Over all the system seems to work fine! I have everything working except for the wifi card. Will fix that when Realtek releases the driver. I have reboot, sleep and shut down working and my 8600GTS has resolutions, QE and CI.

I Just installed my Mac OS X 10.5.0 TOH RC2 and updated it to work with EFI+Vanilla and everything worked great, sleep too. But after update to 10.5.2 I lost my ps2 keyboard. My mouse is on USB and keyboard on PS2, everthing else is working great even Graphic Update went smoth but keyboard is not working. I tried loading some kexts from 10.5.0 and 10.5.1 :

-ApplePS2Controller.kext

-ACPIPS2Nub.kext

-AppleACPIPlatform.kext

-AppleSMBIOS.kext

but that didnt help or changed anything.

Does anyone know what could be the catch or any helpful advice?

2LMan says they are not working - i haven't tried. But realtek should bring new drivers soon... don't they?

Yes, I'd emailed the realtek guys and they answered very quick....

they're working on a new driver for LEO and I was told that it will be ready by the end of March or even before...

So, let's hope for that...

it works! it works! P5W Built-in Wireless is working! The new realtek drivers at the realtek website work for the built-in wireless. so far I could connect to a no-security access point for unlimited time, but I cannot connect to a WPA secured network.

hope it works for other people! I'm using Kalyway 10.5.1 SSE2/SSE3

Yes the wireless works!

I'm trying to reinstall my system using ToH (it's cleaner than Kalyway IMHO) but after installing it doesn't seem to boot. Trying MBR now but I would like to use GUID and EFI of course! Any hints?

Sudden and random shutdown ever since installing 10.5.1

I have had a problem ever since installing the 10.5.1 Kalyway DVD. Every other aspect of the installation works (which is why I've put up this problem).

About once every other day, my computer shutdowns. It literally powers off instantly without warning. This never happened when I had 10.4.10 installed.

While it still is random as far as I can tell, there SEEMS a correspondence is emerging between the shutdowns and watching flash video on the web (but it does not shutdown everytime I watch a flash video). It does not shutdown while watching DVDs.

I was hoping the 10.5.2 update and graphics update would fix this problem, but it did not.

This seems to be software related somehow as my XP installation has never shutdown using same hardware installation.

I have tried unplugging all unnecessary devices (2nd CD-ROM and additional hard drives) from the PSU to make sure I was not overloading the PSU (450 watt Antec). Problem still exists.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot? Are there some updated Nvidia kexts I can try even though I have the Kalyway 10.5.1+10.5.2 update? Or would have to try a new installation from scratch? Thanks for any help.

runithome: is it going into sleep mode? does it do this in windows or just osx? maybe check your sleep settings in the control panel?That's awesome that Realtek is making an official driver now. Do Apple computers even use this chip, or is Realtek catering directly to us hackintosh users?

runithome: is it going into sleep mode? does it do this in windows or just osx? maybe check your sleep settings in the control panel?That's awesome that Realtek is making an official driver now. Do Apple computers even use this chip, or is Realtek catering directly to us hackintosh users?

It does successfully go into and come out of sleep mode, at the proper intervals that I set in the control panel.

The random shutdowns only happens in OS X (and only since upgrading from 10.4.10).