• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

saare2000

saare2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It seems like its not possible to get the size down to 4.3 with GM!.
I only managed to get down to 6.1 gigs

rathalos

rathalos

i H4XX0R B1LL GaT3s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
u can remove xcode, u can remove all languages except english.... and u can remove all forms of printer drivers... that should already save u lots of space and squeeze it down to a small size of about 4.2 or 4.3 Gb

jmhays3

jmhays3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
im working from the 9A581 build... is it possible to use these instructions?? i cant seem to get this method to work that is described here it always has an error regarding it cant find the disc or somemthing right at the end..... thanks again everyone

##############################################
######## REAL GUIDE HOW TO BURN ON SINGLE LAYER DISK######
##############################################

The other guides give an large image. This one is the real deal.

Look for a program called Carbon Copy Cloner on google.

Open the image in the program and deselect
Xcode Tools

Under System/Installation/Packages you will need to deselect some Printer Drivers and some language files.
I only left the one I really use.

Use disk utility and create a new image, size 4.7GB (SL DVD) and use this image as the destination in Carbon. Otherwise you might end up with a big file (7GB) with only 4GB of data on which isn't burnable on a SL DVD.

Remember to deselect the same files under the installations options or the install will fail.

IF YOU WANT ALL THE LANGUAGES FILES JUST INSTALL EACH PKG AFTER.

Erhnam

Erhnam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I removed Xcode, Language files and all printer files. DVD size is still 5.2GB, not enough. Do I need to remove the *Additional*.pkg files from the Installation directory as well?

complex

complex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Make sure you empty the trash after deleting the files, otherwise it won't reflect the new size properly in Disk Utility.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
Thanks guys, but I also wondering if it is possible to rip the PPC binaries out too (and vice versa), to make the disk smaller (like maybe half size).

kuchdawg

kuchdawg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Pearpc, x86 PC building, Band
you could try somthing like trim-app...I have never used it...but it might work

http://lipidity.com/downloads/trim-app

f1n3st

f1n3st

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hmm, after i finished doing all of that, i burned the dvd and inserted it. i restarted my computer and the blue screen comes on with the little circle thing in the middle. my laptop keeps having these beeping noises, i've waited probably 20 minutes now and it still hasn't changed. so i guess i didnt something wrong?

henky

henky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
This guide did not work for me!
It might be because I burned wrong
this is how I did it: In disk utiliy I selected the burn image, clicked burn(upper left corner of the utiliy)
and let it burn at 4X(I couldn't select any other speed)
now when I boot my pc with the cd, it reads the cd for a moment, and then continues booting my normal system:S
In windows the cd shows up as audio-cd with one file in it: track 01
the only files I deleted: everything with printer in it, and all languages except: french german and english

How the hell do i get this right?
thanks!
(I downloaded my leopard, it's no beta, this should work on intel right?)

f1n3st

f1n3st

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This failed for me also, it has

Install Failed
Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer.
The Installer could not locate the data it needed to install the software. Check your install media or internet connection and try again or contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Click Restart to restart your computer and try installing again.

so what happened? why aint it working?

Guest: Snowski_*

Guest: Snowski_*
  • Guests
Guys, I havent read through the whole thread but I think when you trim down the image you also need to deselect the options on install. So also deselect printers, languages, etc on the actual install.
My apologies if this was a noob suggestion though.

citizen_0

citizen_0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I followed the instructions of the first post and received the error saying that certain files could not be found.

I deleted X11, printer drivers, and all unneeded languages. I also unchecked those same things in the customized installer. However, the problem stems from an inability to uncheck some languages. In my install those were: Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Korean, and Swedish.

The languages I WAS able to uncheck were: Norwegian, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Polish.

Strange.

Erhnam

Erhnam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

I followed the instructions of the first post and received the error saying that certain files could not be found.

I deleted X11, printer drivers, and all unneeded languages. I also unchecked those same things in the customized installer. However, the problem stems from an inability to uncheck some languages. In my install those were: Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Korean, and Swedish.

The languages I WAS able to uncheck were: Norwegian, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Polish.

Strange.

You need to uninstall all the language(s) files and try again.
Don't forget to remove the languages under System Tools -> International. Clean up the list
Search on google how to do that.

Kee

Kee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, followed all your instructions and I've burned the single layer DVD. However, when I boot up the DVD to install, it's just stuck on the screen with the apple logo, and the spinning loading dot-circle beneath and I can hear the drive obviously trying to load.

Only reason I can think of is because the DVD is a DVD-RW? I remember trying to install XP with a DVD-RW and it didn't work, is this the same case?

Thanks

Meowy

Meowy

InsanelyPurry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
When I copy the slimmed DMG onto the blank DVD sized one, it errors.

f1n3st

f1n3st

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
KEE just plug in your power adapter and wait for about 10 minutes, i'm serious. I waited for a while and it actually got to the load screen, i thought something was wrong also. but i was wrong. well after i tried to install it, a box comes up and says that it couldnt install because there was some files missing or something, a box with a big yellow caution sign with an exclamation point. oh well, good luck to you sir.

Kee

Kee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's great f1n3st! It actually worked! ;) Well, I haven't tried installing it yet, as I forgot to free up HD Space and I was already late for work so I've had to leave it til later.
But at least I know it's booting up now!

I'll let you know later if it works, fingers crossed.

gikku

gikku

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Thanks, this worked a treat. cut Leopard 9A581 down to 4.1GB, burned on a disk.
removed all printer drivers.
removed xcode. presumably you could remove iTunes also, as it's available as a free download.
removed all languages keeping English and Japanese.
used monolingual to delete all languages keeping English and Japanese in Tiger. Installed sweetly as an Archive and Install on two boxes, will wait a day or two before hitting the primary iPhoto box with 7 years worth of pics.

installed the HP printer drivers after Leopard install by running the HP package from the original unmodified mounted dmg.
could do similiar to install iTunes, Mail and Safari after the event, if you wanted a slimmer Leopard disk ??

Meowy

Meowy

InsanelyPurry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

When I copy the slimmed DMG onto the blank DVD sized one, it errors.

Got it working using CCC, create new sparseimage based on the dump one.

Attempting restore to iPod :o

Edit: BOOTED, but removed too much, downloading again X(

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

you could try somthing like trim-app...I have never used it...but it might work

http://lipidity.com/downloads/trim-app

Thanks...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy